Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,454
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: Rustler] #7961745 09/04/20 07:56 PM
K
Ktexas14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Rustler
The laws are clear,
Dogs chasing harassing even killing wildlife is not legal grounds to shoot a dog. Under any circumstance.
You ‘can’ get yourself to into far more trouble than it will ever be worth.

On the other hand, dogs that are on your property aggressive towards humans, domestic animals or livestock
( chasing, harassing, attacking or about to) are not protected by law.

How do people find out?
In reality most people are really lousy shots, the dog returns home wounded, dumbazzes talk about shooting a dog, some idiots even post on the internet about their actions or intensions.

If you have a dog / wildlife problem nothing you can legally do unless the dogs are truly feral / abandoned/ dumped.
If they are, nobody is looking for them or cares.

Wildlife - no.
Humans, domestic animals, livestock - yes.

There are things that you can do to legally take care of the problem. There are live traps that are big enough for dogs. I have worked at youth camps where there were wild dogs, they were trapped and transported to the closest shelter. All of this under direction and supervision of animal control.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7962127 09/05/20 02:52 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
It amazes me how many people think that their pet is not their responsibility.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7962151 09/05/20 03:24 AM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
It amazes me that this topic is constantly discussed. But I understand, I think. As in MANY things these days the “old school” way of dealing with many common sense issues like dogs in pastures has become a very touchy point. New LOs have different thoughts on things. I get it.
However I shall maintain the ol sarges advice of keeping my eyes open and my mouth shut.
Loose lips sink ships.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7962412 09/05/20 04:41 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Majek, in my experience, and it is extensive, we have become a sue happy society. An increasing number of city folks with their fur babies are moving to the country. Many of them are not accustomed to pretty much everyone having guns and dealing with problems as they arise. Many also appear to be frightened these days by looking your neighbor in the eye and telling him man to man there is a problem when one arises. That coupled with the fact that the law is on the dog owners side has changed my attitude. Personal accountability is not what it used to be either. It used to be the norm that if you told your neighbor his dog was a problem he would apologize and either put it up or shoot it for you. Things have changed....

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7962464 09/05/20 05:51 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Buy a BIGGER DOG

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7963115 09/06/20 03:37 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Great...now I have two dogs running on my place. I have a new neighbor.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: Ktexas14] #7963386 09/06/20 09:23 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by Ktexas14
Originally Posted by Rustler
The laws are clear,
Dogs chasing harassing even killing wildlife is not legal grounds to shoot a dog. Under any circumstance.
You ‘can’ get yourself to into far more trouble than it will ever be worth.

On the other hand, dogs that are on your property aggressive towards humans, domestic animals or livestock
( chasing, harassing, attacking or about to) are not protected by law.

How do people find out?
In reality most people are really lousy shots, the dog returns home wounded, dumbazzes talk about shooting a dog, some idiots even post on the internet about their actions or intensions.

If you have a dog / wildlife problem nothing you can legally do unless the dogs are truly feral / abandoned/ dumped.
If they are, nobody is looking for them or cares.

Wildlife - no.
Humans, domestic animals, livestock - yes.

There are things that you can do to legally take care of the problem. There are live traps that are big enough for dogs. I have worked at youth camps where there were wild dogs, they were trapped and transported to the closest shelter. All of this under direction and supervision of animal control.

And this is where the big rub comes into play. If you or me shoot the wild dog we can face a felony, if it it trapped and taken to the shelter where it will be put down, it is legal. The wild dog dies either way. One way costs 50 cents to a dollar, the legal way costs several thousand dollars. Just wish people would take care of and ownership of their pets.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7963434 09/06/20 10:00 PM
F
fishbait Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Where do ya stand when you ask an officer of the law and get their permission?

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7963451 09/06/20 10:12 PM
F
fishbait Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
One more thing...if the animal is rabid...or just a mean dog...do you have to be attacked before you can shot them? Will you shoot and ask questions later? Is it legal for a pack of hog dogs to travel through your place chasing hogs off cause maybe a neighbor hired their handler to run off hogs?
I have come face to face with a dog and he just was tracking something and paid me no mind...a deer was in my pen and just watched him. I thought the dogs might come through often enough that the deer knew him. Dogs can will be a problem.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7966440 09/09/20 11:36 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
It’s best if I don’t post on this matter

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7966531 09/09/20 01:20 PM
A
AMF Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Dogs? On my place? I ain't seen the first one.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7967633 09/10/20 12:08 AM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Folks get touchy if you shoot their dog.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: Dave Scott] #7967637 09/10/20 12:11 AM
A
AMF Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Dave Scott

'touchy'? Shootin' a man's dog is about like shootin' one of his youngins.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7967743 09/10/20 12:49 AM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
One of my neighbors lessors shot my other neighbor's fluffy little white dog.

The neighbor saw his dog laying in a field, he could see it from the road when he came home from work. He worked at the prison..

There was a near all out war.. There were multiple sheriff' cars and 1 game warden.

I did not ask either neighbor about the situation, I did not want to know or be involved. I do know their relationship was strained for some time and the lessors did not use their gate any more..

Last edited by fishdfly; 09/10/20 12:50 AM.
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: Dave Scott] #7967854 09/10/20 01:48 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

I guess they better keep up with them, then.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7967893 09/10/20 02:18 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This problem would be solved a lot quicker if it was the owners were the target.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: Sneaky] #7967949 09/10/20 03:01 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Sneaky

Yep. Just like some ineffective parents in our inner cities that let their kids run around unchecked or cared for and commit serious crimes against others, then those "kids" get shot for committing a crime.... but then of course they are the victim. Ain't no difference. Take care of your loved ones or suffer the consequences. Kids or dogs, you're either responsible for them or you're not. My Son breaks into your house and gets killed, that's my fault. No fault of yours.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: skinnerback] #7967959 09/10/20 03:09 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by skinnerback

Yep. Just like some ineffective parents in our inner cities that let their kids run around unchecked or cared for and commit serious crimes against others, then those "kids" get shot for committing a crime.... but then of course they are the victim. Ain't no difference. Take care of your loved ones or suffer the consequences. Kids or dogs, you're either responsible for them or you're not. My Son breaks into your house and gets killed, that's my fault. No fault of yours.

Epic truth.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: skinnerback] #7967964 09/10/20 03:12 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

People like you give me hope.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: Sneaky] #7967972 09/10/20 03:17 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

People like you give me hope.

Same brother. cheers

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide