Print Thread
Sausage Stuffed Bread Roll #7962047 09/05/20 01:13 AM
T
TLoving Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
I took the lazy way out for supper tonight. I took a frozen bread roll and put it in the refrigerator yesterday to defrost.

While a pound of pan sausage with some diced onion was browning in a skillet, I rolled out the raw dough.

After the sausage cooked I placed the cooked meat on the dough. Next I added some Swiss cheese. I rolled everything together and added a few toothpicks to hold things together.

20 minutes later in a 350 degree F supper I was eating a delicious supper.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Luck favors the prepared mind.
Re: Sausage Stuffed Bread Roll [Re: TLoving] #7962064 09/05/20 01:36 AM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Not cheating at all, when it tastes wonderful and makes cooking easier. We do the same when we use Italian sausage to make Stromboli!!

Open the wine of choice and pour yourself a glass while contemplating and assessing the project.
Ingredients:
Italian sausage (either mild, or hot, or mix them-can be cased requiring removal, or bulk)
One (1) container shredded Romano Cheese (gives good sharp taste and aroma) OR
One (1) container of mixed shredded Romano/Asiago/Parmesan Cheese (not quite as sharp)
One lb. package Mozzarella cheese
One (1) Tablespoon Italian seasoning
Three (3) loaves frozen Rhoads Bread dough
One (1) bottle Burgundy or other red wine
One (1) cube Butter
Parsley flakes (for color in meat mixture only, can be left out if desired)
Flour, for rolling out dough

Brown the sausage meat in a large enough pot that you can mix in later, ensuring it is broken up into small pieces which will roll well into the dough.
Drain the excess oil and grease off.
Add the Italian seasoning and enough burgundy wine to add wine color and flavor the meat, and simmer an additional 10 minutes (this will cook all the alcohol off, and is satisfactory for all our LDS friends).

Have another glass of wine while cooking . Drain the remaining liquid off, and discard.

Mix the shredded Romano/Parmesean cheese well into the meat mixture and set to the side off the heat to cool. You will be spreading by hand onto the dough.

Flour the counter top lightly so the bread dough won t stick. Roll out the three (3) loaves of bread dough, trying to get them roughly rectangular for ease of rolling into a loaf. Three loaves fit nicely on one large cookie sheet.

Spread the meat and cheese mixture evenly on all three (3) loaves. Top with the shredded Mozzarella cheese (you can use more than called for if you d like, as it is inside the loaf and will not burn).
Roll the dough and tuck the ends under to seal.
Place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet, or one lined with non-stick foil.

Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 20 minutes, or until browned. Melt the cube of butter and brush lightly on the top crust of each loaf. Enjoy the last glass of wine while you admire your work.

Serve hot out of the oven with your favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce for dipping. A nice green salad is all you need for a full meal; people will have seconds, so maybe a double batch if you want left-overs!

Makes indestructible sandwiches for backpacking or hunting (can be warmed in doubled foil on a fire).
Freezes and microwaves great also.

Re: Sausage Stuffed Bread Roll [Re: TLoving] #7962183 09/05/20 05:03 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have done the same, also used pizza dough to make similar sandwiches. Spread out a pizza dough, slap the ingredients of choice and roll it up. Then bale it. up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Sausage Stuffed Bread Roll [Re: TLoving] #7962205 09/05/20 06:12 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
cheers

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-