Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: Creekrunner] #7975656 09/16/20 01:00 AM
R
rolyat.nosaj Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I'm through reminding, specifically, when you can apply for a certain hunt that has VERY limited tags and is pretty much the pinnacle of the draw system, IF they issue tags this year, which they don't always issue every year, based on surveys, but...that day is today. bolt

Put in for it this morning up

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: Thisisbeer] #7975672 09/16/20 01:12 AM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
lol. I was just messing around. I don't get very entangled in what ones idea of "fair chase" is and what isn't. It always ends in a scenario driven nightmare that ends up being nonsense.

If hunting over feeders isn't fair chase then can you hunt over acorns?

If the animal should have a fair shot at eluding the hunter why would you use a rifle over a Compound bow?

If it truly is you vs the deer why would you use a compound bow over a traditional?

Fair implies each animal has an equal chance at success. The deers success being eluding the hunter. The hunters success being killing the deer.

Why bring so much technology into it that you lean the odds in your favor? The deer aren't out there wearing Kevlar.

A lot of the answers to the weapon questions is, "I use a rifle to ensure a clean and quick kill".

Well, I have had far more broadside shots at deer under feeders than I have anywhere else. You could argue feeders increase the ability to have clean kills. confused2

I've always thought fair chase was a load of BS. I don't hunt high fences because seeing 40 deer under feeder has no appeal to me. There is no challenge on hunting "feedlot" deer. The thing I enjoy about hunting is the work you put in to be successful. At the end of the day it's about why you enjoy hunting that dictates what fair chase means to you. It's always seems like a form of moral superiority from people. Which I always thought was weird. I mean it's not like anyone out there is eating fair chase ribeyes...

Didn't mean to start a rant when I started. lol my bad.

LOL, oh I actually figured you were messing around..I just felt the need to stir the pot by explaining by dig at feeder harvesting LOL

And to keep the entertainment going, I do have answers to your questions! ROFL

Yes, on acorns...unless the acorns were placed there by an individual as bait. The distinction I make is whether the bait was placed there by a person with the sole intent of luring in a prey smile

Rifle over bow only because I view the rifle as having a higher chance of a humane kill (chance only - no guarantees)....humane kill > priority than fair shot to elude (to an extent).

I would actually argue that non-feeder hunting isn't fair for people - it's weighed in favor of the deer (regardless of technology used). I think for the average hunter, assuming a day of hunting is considered a full "game"... that deer win far more often than hunters. I mean, I'm sure there is someone out there claiming to kill a deer every time they go into the woods...and they're liars ROFL.. Feeder harvesters generally use cameras as well and know when the deer like to show up, so know when to come to harvest one ... The people I know who feeder harvest are more successful than the deer in the daily game.

And finally, if someone saying 'fair chase' feels like a form of moral superiority - that feeling comes from oneself ... you yourself deep down feel that fair chase is morally superior... because unless someone flat out says that they think fair chase is a morally superior form of killing animals - then reading that into it is 100% on you, it's how you feel.

Like I said, to each his own when it comes to putting meat in the freezer.. no judgment from me.. and I certainly don't think the way I prefer to hunt is morally superior to others - I always thought it was silly when people made that claim. Take people for what they actually say, not some underlying read between the lines opinion of what ones believes they really mean - the later will always lead people down a rabbit hole.

And geesh Thisisbeer, why can't you just give fair chase to your prey lol

Last edited by Binary; 09/16/20 01:14 AM.
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7975946 09/16/20 12:42 PM
R
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Today is the day, good luck everyone!

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7975949 09/16/20 12:43 PM
E
elvisp_bucks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Good luck everyone. Please let me know when the drawing starts!!!

Jason
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7975963 09/16/20 12:55 PM
Y
yakinthebox Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
The waiting is the hardest part!

If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready!
-Anonymous
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976005 09/16/20 01:42 PM
Y
yakinthebox Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
So far, we're showing pending 2nd draw on the youth management category. Others are still showing application received! Not feeling overly hopeful.

-Anonymous
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: yakinthebox] #7976007 09/16/20 01:44 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by yakinthebox
The waiting is the hardest part!

I still have a full month for the next draws I am in.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976011 09/16/20 01:48 PM
R
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
At least they are starting. They must not have gone out last night. I hear those wildlife management types like to party pretty hard.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976015 09/16/20 01:54 PM
R
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
E-Postcard Quail just hit me with 'pending 2nd draw'.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976017 09/16/20 01:55 PM
E
elvisp_bucks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Have the adult hunts started? My kiddo was picked for youth javelina at Black Gap

Jason
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: elvisp_bucks] #7976024 09/16/20 01:58 PM
Y
yakinthebox Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
Congrats! None of my adult categories have drawn yet.

-Anonymous
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976029 09/16/20 02:02 PM
R
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
CRAP! I didn't get my doe permit for the SAM this year.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976041 09/16/20 02:09 PM
Y
yakinthebox Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
My daughter just drew youth antlerless/ spike at Chaparral! I hunted it last year on archery! I'm pumped for her!

-Anonymous
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976053 09/16/20 02:13 PM
R
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Congrats on the youth hunts guys!

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976068 09/16/20 02:28 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

bah, me either. I have never won one of these USFS anterless tags...which is crazy since the odds of winning one are really high LOL.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976082 09/16/20 02:38 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Looks like they made it through all the National Refuge General Deer...and started Gun Deer - Management ...all Pending 2nd Draw for me so far.

Last edited by Binary; 09/16/20 02:39 PM.
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976091 09/16/20 02:41 PM
Y
yakinthebox Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
I just drew General Deer at Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge! I had 4 points! I'm so stoked!

-Anonymous
Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7976116 09/16/20 02:51 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Binary

LOL, oh I actually figured you were messing around..I just felt the need to stir the pot by explaining by dig at feeder harvesting LOL

And to keep the entertainment going, I do have answers to your questions! ROFL

I dig it. I like discussion on the topic. Helps me think about something I already spend way to much time thinking about.

Yes, on acorns...unless the acorns were placed there by an individual as bait. The distinction I make is whether the bait was placed there by a person with the sole intent of luring in a prey smile

What if you plant the tree and play the long game? Or transplant the tree to shorten up the timeline? Why is the human placing it the determination? In a more realistic sense what about food plots? Hunting over a farmers field vs hunting over a plot planted specifically for deer.

Rifle over bow only because I view the rifle as having a higher chance of a humane kill (chance only - no guarantees)....humane kill > priority than fair shot to elude (to an extent).

Fair enough. I don’t think that’s necessarily true though. If someone puts in far more work with a bow and only takes the perfect shot I would argue a bow is just as efficient at killing. But severely limits the opportunity at shooting.

I would actually argue that non-feeder hunting isn't fair for people - it's weighed in favor of the deer (regardless of technology used). I think for the average hunter, assuming a day of hunting is considered a full "game"... that deer win far more often than hunters. I mean, I'm sure there is someone out there claiming to kill a deer every time they go into the woods...and they're liars ROFL.. Feeder harvesters generally use cameras as well and know when the deer like to show up, so know when to come to harvest one ... The people I know who feeder harvest are more successful than the deer in the daily game.

What about using cameras on game trails and not by feeders? If the success rate helps dictate the ethics I go back to why rifles over bows. If the bow is properly used. Feeders also increase the chances of making an ethical shot.

And finally, if someone saying 'fair chase' feels like a form of moral superiority - that feeling comes from oneself ... you yourself deep down feel that fair chase is morally superior... because unless someone flat out says that they think fair chase is a morally superior form of killing animals - then reading that into it is 100% on you, it's how you feel.

I said it feels like a form of moral superiority not that it is morally superior. The definition of moral superiority is literally the attitude that one's position and actions are justified by having higher moral values than others. I don’t think it is morally superior. That’s why I made the comment about ribeyes. We don’t give cattle the opportunity to be fair chase animals. Why should we with deer?

Like I said, to each his own when it comes to putting meat in the freezer.. no judgment from me.. and I certainly don't think the way I prefer to hunt is morally superior to others - I always thought it was silly when people made that claim. Take people for what they actually say, not some underlying read between the lines opinion of what ones believes they really mean - the later will always lead people down a rabbit hole.

And geesh Thisisbeer, why can't you just give fair chase to your prey lol

Lol I would be willing to bet we hunt the same. I hunt because I enjoy the difficulty of it. I’m more playing devils advocate. I hunt under a feeder one week in a year when I travel to my grandfathers ranch for thanksgiving and only because he won’t let me hunt anywhere there isn’t a feeder already. Other than that it’s mostly public land. my only real point in why I think fair chase is BS is because it’s usually set up on a moral stance which I think is odd. We certainly don’t give that stance to all animals. I find most fair chase guys idea of what fair chase is mostly falls into what there particular idea of “fun” hunting is to them. Some guys love bow hunting and all of a sudden rifles aren’t fair chase. Some guys love spot and stalk and sitting in a deer blind isn’t fair chase. The moral grounds always seem irrelevant and realistically just happen to be defined by their preferred hunting methods.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7976117 09/16/20 02:51 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J

bah, me either. I have never won one of these USFS anterless tags...which is crazy since the odds of winning one are really high LOL.

That sucks guys. I've been really lucky to have drawn each of the last 3 years, and drew it again this year too.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: yakinthebox] #7976131 09/16/20 02:59 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by yakinthebox
I just drew General Deer at Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge! I had 4 points! I'm so stoked!

that's awesome. That looks like it'd be a fun hunt!

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: JB1316] #7976132 09/16/20 02:59 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JB1316

That sucks guys. I've been really lucky to have drawn each of the last 3 years, and drew it again this year too.

I drew one last year and my wife thought it was trash and tossed it. Saw three big does that weekend before they mailed me out a replacement. We’re still married...

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: Thisisbeer] #7976148 09/16/20 03:11 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

I drew one last year and my wife thought it was trash and tossed it. Saw three big does that weekend before they mailed me out a replacement. We’re still married...

Did you at least make her sleep on the couch LOL

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: Thisisbeer] #7976150 09/16/20 03:12 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J

Those doe knew they were safe, just like backyard dove, and big bucks from February - September

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976156 09/16/20 03:14 PM
R
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
We drew Roger Fawcett WMA for Gun Deer Management.

Re: 9/15/20 Draws [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7976166 09/16/20 03:16 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
We drew Roger Fawcett WMA for Gun Deer Management.

nice! I've never drawn in that category, should be a good one though.

I just drew Antlerless/Spike - Lake Whitney SP ...

looks like all the Gun Deer - Antlerless/Spike category are complete now

Last edited by Binary; 09/16/20 03:17 PM.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide