Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7958838 09/02/20 08:56 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
This is the first time I've heard of a lawn/grass fungus.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7958839 09/02/20 09:01 AM
D
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Does fungus kill the roots or just the blades?

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7958882 09/02/20 11:21 AM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I was hita couple years ago. I don't know if it kills or just stunts. Here is what I can tell...

My yard... I usually fertilize in several steps. Over a 2 week period. That year was extremely wet spring. Applied full amount in application. Brown areas begin to show mid summer. I watered spots extra. Spots grew as I watered extra.

MIL yard.. Guy next door got it. The more he watered the moe it spead. Spread into MIL yard. Same time as mine.

Asked local nursery, Chamber's, about issue. He sold me spray. One application product. I applied MIL, neighbor's and mine.
Mine was took a couple years. The other two yards bounced back that summer.

Guy down the street. Just scrap dead grass up and started over. He watered constantly.

My suggestion, Ferti A Lom hose end fungicide spray. Apply as directed. Hope grass quickly comes back.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7958884 09/02/20 11:24 AM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson

My first round of it. I had seen the products, but never had need.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7958943 09/02/20 12:42 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Dead Lawn

Red Dawn

It was the Russians

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7959033 09/02/20 01:51 PM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter

It very common. And probably the most overlooked aspect as a homeowner. Most people see dead or dying spots and assume it's grubs and/or other insects. Which sometimes it is. But a lot of the time its fungus. Specially in our high humidity climate. That's why you want to stay on a preventative fungicide schedule. And you want to rotate your fungicides. Fungus can will build up a resistance to fungicides if you just use the same on over and over. And not all fungicides are created equal. For example. If you have dollar spot Scotts Disease Ex won't treat that. As where BioAdvance Fungus Control will. You can mix in the Ferti A Lome products in as mentioned too. Feti A Lome Fungicide II is the same active ingredient as the BioAdvance I mentioned. Fet A Lome (F-Stop) is a different active ingredient. Brand doesn't really matter. You want to look at the active ingredient. These are all different groups of fungicides. A good rotation is key.

And you need to feed your lawn. Don't worry about the nitrogen will make fungus worse talk. You want to go with a slow release nitrogen and you'll be fine along with applying fungicides.

This weekend I would apply 2 different types of fungicides and fertilizer. I would go with a good balanced fert like Lesco Texas Turf 15-5-10. Slow release nitrogen with micro nutrients. Sold at HD. And apply the fungicides at the curative rate. Next year starting late April to May start applying fungicides at the preventative rate and you will be in much better shape.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LESCO-15-5-10-Texas-Turf-Fertilizer-026760/100148440

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7959036 09/02/20 01:53 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
What is the cause of fungus?

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7959069 09/02/20 02:17 PM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter
Lots of causes. Depending on the fungus and what it likes. Most like high heat and humidity. Honestly I slacked on my fungicide treatment this year. My lawn is bermuda and I keep it cut at around 3/4". Dollar Spot loves that. Where my lawn gets the sun the least and hold on to the morning dew the longest got dollar spot this year. Walked out one morning and it looks like little spider web spots. I knew exactly what it was and hit it with fungicide. Got it under control pretty quickly. Gray Leaf Spot is a very common fungus in St. Aug. It's loves heat, humidity and dampness. You can google pics of it and see if your grass blades have it.

Back in the day and people still do it today is top dress their St. Aug in peat moss. The acidity of the peat moss would/will fight off TARR(Take All Root Rot) Then Scotts came out with their new Disease EX. Which is Azoxystrobin. Very good at controlling TARR. Even Neil Sperry has told people calling in about top dressing with peat to stop doing that and start using the Scotts.

Re: Dead lawn [Re: S.A. hunter] #7959670 09/02/20 08:37 PM
Sidebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
What kind of compost do you use?

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7959774 09/02/20 10:16 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Cinche bugs hit my lawn half the front yard was brown 2 days later then I poisoned them and no more issues.

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7959781 09/02/20 10:20 PM
D
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
S9o, are the roots dead? Do I try to whip the fungus and then replace the St Augustine?

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7959830 09/02/20 11:09 PM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
S9o, are the roots dead? Do I try to whip the fungus and then replace the St Augustine?

I followed the nursery owner's instuction. Treat the fungus. Feed,weed and water. The two regular lawns quickly recoverd. Mine has taken two years, but we have a yards in this neighborhood, not a lawns.

I would treat fungus. Feed and water as usual. See how it looks in spring. Now that is what I would do.

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7959865 09/02/20 11:29 PM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter
There is a decent chance the roots are still alive. If you apply the fertilizer and fungicide you will know within 2 weeks. It will rebound pretty quickly if they are alive and you'll start to see new growth.

I would still do the soapy water test to rule out chinch bugs or other insects. Do it where good green grass and brown grass meet. If it's insects that where they will be.

I'm a fan of the 4" height of cut on St. Aug like S.A. hunter does and also a fan of top dressing with compost like he does. Anytime you can work organic matter(compost) into the lawn is a good thing. If you get some bounce back growth and know it's alive. I would rent a core aerator then top dress with compost to get it down in the core holes. I don't know what your height of cut is now, but whatever it is I would lower for now. Take it down a notch or two and bag the clippings for now.

For the record I am not a professional lawn tech by any means. Just a residential home owner and lawn nerd that dominates the neighborhood lawn. And love to talk about grass and growing stuff.

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7960244 09/03/20 11:39 AM
D
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Think I'll do it all. I really doubt bugs. Last year and the year before when I saw a LOT of grubs I loaded up/overloaded with nematodes. I'm ASSUMING that they don't eat and then die. But they aren't expensive so I'll do it again. I have a sprinkler system so I don't let it dry out. I have always cut to about 2 inches but will raise it. Never even considered composting or aerating and generally fertilize about every other year. I always bag the clippings. Realizing how little I know about lawn problems. I can raise a wheat crop but never had a lawn issue.

Although I enjoy having a nice lawn, I'm more of a stock tank/pond/wildlife nerd. I have some acreage South of Bowie with ponds/stock tanks where I spend copious $ on fish and deer hunting. Too old at 77 to do the really heavy stuff but have a 21 year old Grandson and his buddy who is about like another Grandson to do that. Good place for young guys that I've known most of their lives to get together, drink some beer, shoot, ride 4 wheelers, trap hogs, fish and take girl friends. They always check with me in advance if there will be a group. Recently had 6 of them there. It's a safe place to keep them off the roads. I do start seeing more of them in the Fall as deer season nears. Gotta get their butts in gear to cut fire wood. I still do it but they seem to burn more of it than I do so I don't cut them much slack. One of them has a lawn service but I prefer to do my own lawn.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 09/03/20 01:15 PM.

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7960355 09/03/20 01:42 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
This it what a good layer of compost, and cutting the grass at four inches instead of scalping it looks like. See if you can tell the difference. Cutting grass low during summer does two things, it limits the amount of food the grass sends down to the root, and it exposes more summer time sun to the root system. Its kind of like a death spiral for the grass. Over time you will end up with a weak, or dead lawn.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 09/03/20 01:45 PM.
Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7960384 09/03/20 02:05 PM
D
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Another clue I just noticed. I have small amounts of bermuda and some broad leaf weeds. They don't seem to be affected.

Re: Dead lawn [Re: S.A. hunter] #7960402 09/03/20 02:16 PM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
This it what a good layer of compost, and cutting the grass at four inches instead of scalping it looks like. See if you can tell the difference. Cutting grass low during summer does two things, it limits the amount of food the grass sends down to the root, and it exposes more summer time sun to the root system. Its kind of like a death spiral for the grass. Over time you will end up with a weak, or dead lawn.

[Linked Image]

Nice!

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7960413 09/03/20 02:24 PM
F
Fishstory Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
F
I know you mentioned it already, but I'll guess chinch bugs as well. I live in NRH and get them every year around this time of year unless I poison in July. One day part of your yard will look like it needs to be watered and the next day half the lawn will be completely dead.

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7960414 09/03/20 02:26 PM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter
Dave you for sure need to be fertilizing more. Keep it simple and do the holiday schedule. Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day. I would go a notch or 2 lower the next couple of mowings. Then it will pretty much will be dormant season. Next year start raising your height until you get to 4". And next year don't bag your clippings. Let them breakdown and return back to the soil. The Lesco Texas Turf at the label rate will apply 1lb of nitrogen per 1000sq feet. Perfect amount. And it will slowly release that nitrogen of the course of about 8 weeks.

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7960426 09/03/20 02:47 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I maintained our St Aug lawn in Houston for 30+ years. Brown Spot and Chinch Bugs were my enemy. From reading this discussion, Derek really knows his stuff. Do what he says.

Brown Spot can be whupped and the grass will live, but if you let Chinch Bugs go for long, they will kill your lawn dead right down to and including the roots. Sometimes it’s hard to tell what the problem is, but I remember that if it’s Brown Spot and you tug on a chunk of grass, the roots still hold. If it’s Chinch Bug, the chunk of grass comes up, dead roots and all. I used to fear Chinch Bug. Brown Spot was mostly just annoying.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Dead lawn [Re: Derek] #7960438 09/03/20 02:57 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Derek
Dave you for sure need to be fertilizing more. Keep it simple and do the holiday schedule. Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day. I would go a notch or 2 lower the next couple of mowings. Then it will pretty much will be dormant season. Next year start raising your height until you get to 4". And next year don't bag your clippings. Let them breakdown and return back to the soil. The Lesco Texas Turf at the label rate will apply 1lb of nitrogen per 1000sq feet. Perfect amount. And it will slowly release that nitrogen of the course of about 8 weeks.

Yep, I never bag. I let the bugs have at the clippings.

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7960589 09/03/20 05:26 PM
D
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Problem most likely solved. I decided to do the bug test with soapy water. The first shovel full I found 2 half grown grubworms. So, I dug some more and found 2 more out of about 6 digs. I'm still doing the soapy water test and should see results shortly after all the bubbles go away. I mistakenly figured that way too many nematodes the last 2 years ought to be enough.

Learned an expensive lesson. I will have to replace the lawn next Spring.

I'm going to nuke them. Anything specific that you guys recommend?

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 09/03/20 05:31 PM.

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7960599 09/03/20 05:43 PM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7960644 09/03/20 06:49 PM
D
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Soapy water test showed no bugs. So, that means nuke the grubs. If it does kill me earthworms I'll regret it but...

Now I know that I will have to replace the yard next Spring with new sod..

Re: Dead lawn [Re: Dave Davidson] #7960794 09/03/20 09:07 PM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter
I would still treat with fungicide and fert. 2 grubs in 6 digs is not bad at all. If you find 10 per 1sq foot then you have an issue. It is possible that you had a heavy infestation earlier this year. But if you dig around your yard and find a grub here an there it's no biggie.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide