Page 1 of 2 1 2
Crossbow-looking for high end #7959376 09/02/20 05:20 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im just starting to research a crossbow purchase. Really havent looked much at all. Im a serious rifle hunter and ive just now had the need to extend my season and want a real high quality crossbow. Im not going to say that money is no object but Im willing to pay whatever it takes if I gain something with the extra money. Im not into buying a name or buying into a new trend or marketing buzz but if paying more actually gets me more then I will do it. Bells and whistles arent important but high functionality is. When I pull the trigger on a big mature buck I want it to die every time.
I assume the key things I would look for are ACCURACY, SPEED and QUIET. I assume most all the high end bows will have all the lessor important yet desirable "convenience" type features. I dont plan to shoot over 20 to 30 yards so what size group should I expect to be able to shoot from a very locked in and rested position? Once I do some research Im going to want to actually shoot the bow before I buy. Are there places that sell them that allow you to shoot them? And, yes, I know there is all kind of advise to give about shooter error, shot placement and ducking the string etc but save it for another thread. I just want to know what the bow is capable of when handled properly. Any advise is appreciated.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7959422 09/02/20 06:03 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
accuracy is the easy question, Shoot to different dots on the target to avoid shooting your bolt from the previous shot. The old Parker I have cn shoot into 2 inches at 70 yards for a group. I say group, the Target I shoot has 5 dots about 2 inches in diameter and I can hit the 5 different dots with 5 bolts at 70 yards.

Moving to today's crossbows if you want the toughest look at Excalibur they will not be the quitest but they are dang sure solid. I prefer their micro series with the full sound dampening system which does a very good job of reducing the noise.

Ravin made a big splash with their crossbows for speed and scopes with aiming lines to 100 yards and they will do it. But with a bow I will stick with one that has more than a 5 year warranty for such a mechanical device especially when spending $1500+ for it. Also Raven was bought by Centerpoint.

Tenpoint has some very good options, is made in the USA and has lifetime warranty. Their latest trigger S1 is quite good, and I really like the way the reverse limb bows balance, more like a rifle without the weight hanging out at the front. The new Vapor 470 has all the latest bells and whistles but is about $3000, the Nitro RDX is also a 470fpw crossbow for less $ and was last years top of their ling. I shot the Nitro some last year and at 80 yards was no problem to hit 2 inch dots. Hard to go wrong with Tenpoint products.

I bought the Wife a Wicked Ridge RDX400 last year and the compactness and speed are very nice to have along with the balance. Accuracy wise it is on par with my old Parker but is quieter, faster, and mush handier

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7959424 09/02/20 06:04 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Not sure where you are but Cabela's has a range and you can shoot different crossbows there.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: kmon11] #7959473 09/02/20 06:24 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Kmon1, thanks for the reply. I have shot just a little bit and I understand what you mean about not shoot a "group" per se to avoid hitting other arrows.
In my limited "research" ( i use that term lightly) i have heard about the brands you mentioned. What about Mission?
I dont doubt guys can shoot long distance but I just do not plan to do that. If you can shoot 2" groups at 70 yards then I would expect much better at the 20 to 30 I expect to shoot at....?? I have an old Parker and it will only shoot 2.5 to 3" groups at 20 to 30 yards and thats what Im wanting to improve on. Correct me if im wrong but im assuming a very expensive bow if shot from a very solid rest should shoot 1" group at 20 to 30 yards........???

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7959539 09/02/20 07:12 PM
H
Huskerron Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Pretty solid advice you just got from Kmon. I just got done sighting in both my old Parkers for antelope in 2 weeks. I shoot them 1 bolt at a time to be sure I don't Robin Hood one ofmy bolts. I would say out to 48 yards, if there is no wind, I feel confident I can make the shot. A lot to be said about the dependability of Excalibur. I will tell you that while I was at my range, there was a guy there with one of the new Ravins. He was hitting a 3 & 1/2" bullseye at 50 yards all day long. $2,500 is too much for my blood, though. Especially when you know that there is little or no re-sale to a crossbow.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7959577 09/02/20 07:45 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Missions are good bows but I do not have very much experience with them. Replaced string and cables on one a few years ago is my only experience with them. That one shot well after the string change and is the only mission crossbow I have shot. .

There are some less expensive crossbows that will do that 1 inch at 20 yards.

On your old Parker, what bolts are you shooting. Most accurate bolts I have shot are the Parker Redhots which are getting harder to fine, glad I have a couple dozen.

If you increase bolt weight you will loose some speed but usually accuracy improves and noise is reduced a little. About all package bows come with light weight bolts to get or very close to the advertised speed. I have seen groups like you are talking about reduce to that. I have seen bows cut group size in half just by going to a heavier bolt and broadhead.

Some on here can pipe in about accuracy improvement with their crossbows by switching t heavier arrows

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7959673 09/02/20 08:38 PM
H
Huskerron Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I’ll second the accuracy of the Parker Red Hot bolts. I have about 1 & 1/2 dozen of them and I try to be selective with my shots. I don’t think any of my shots while checking my yardages was more than 4” from the bullseye out to 50 yards. Most of them were in the 3 & 1/2” bullseye. I use a Parker Tornado as my primary and a Hammer 325 as my backup. I think that Ravin was rated at 450 FPS and it was smoking for sure but again, the Parkers work fine for me. If money was no object it would be any of the Ravins, Ten Points or the Excaliburs that are rated over 400 FPS. If you hunt from a treestand, it would also have to have a crank cocking device.

Last edited by Huskerron; 09/02/20 08:40 PM.
Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7959712 09/02/20 09:10 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Well money is an object for me and thus I'm still shooting cheap Barnett Wildcat and Barnett Ghost 400. Both are heavy as compared to new and more compact cross bows. But, I am confident with both to 40 yards with consistent 2" shots and at 20 yards can pretty much same hole shots when shooting off Caldwell field pod. I use this in my large ground blinds. My ground blind and tripod sets however are made for 22-25 yard shots mostly. No problem on WT, Hogs and a couple large black bears. Just wish I had cranking device for cocking if in elevated stand.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #7959851 09/02/20 11:20 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thanks so far for the replies guys. I thought the accuracy I was getting with my old bow was sub par and it sounds like it is. How much accuracy is enough is a question that everyone will answer differently but I feel like I need to get 1" group at 20 to 30 yards off a real solid rest or I may go back to the rifle. Ill be looking for more comments that 1" is doable.
I just got back from going to an archery shop. They had Mission and I concentrated on talking about it. The sub-1 xr shoots 410 fps and is about $1800. Their sub-1 lite shoots 335 and is $100 less. The "lite" is supposed to be quieter but doesnt shoot nearly as fast. He said Mission has 19" and 22" bolts and acted like he didnt think they came in different weights(you had mentioned heavier bolts). He said Mission is part of Mathews and he really bragged about the high quality as compared to Ravin that he had heard of problems with. He mentioned American made and metal instead of plactic parts etc.
Besides Mission, Ravin, Tenpoint, Excallibur, what other high end bows should I consider? Im already leaning towards Mission but I really need to be open minded and research more.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7959941 09/03/20 12:15 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Ravin IMO has a few things that would scratch it off my list. One the others have a longer warranty and to time the bow you have to have quite a few cables to be able to test select the ones that work well as they are served all the way you cannot change the little difference in length. An out of time bow does not shoot nearly like it should.

The others on your list should all get what you are looking for. Might have to play a little with different bolts and or heads but all of those can get you the accuracy you are looking for.

If you like Mathews the Mission is probably good for you but spending that much $ I would try the others before spending the money.

As for heavier bolts just using a heavier broadhead adds to FOC and that usually helps accuracy a bit and some manufactures make bolts of different weights. Tenpoint lists at least 3 different weights and speeds for their bows ranging from 370 grains to 445 grains and the FPS difference is 30fps but due to the weight has a little more KE and momentum for penetration.. The heavier bolt will be a bit slower but usually fly better and more accurate plus make the bow a little quieter.

Last edited by kmon1; 09/03/20 12:16 AM.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7960142 09/03/20 03:47 AM
llbts1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Killer Instinct just released a bow, the SWAT XP. This bow is supposed to be very accurate and an excellent trigger. I have heard pricing from 799-899. You can check out reviews on Crossbow Nation web site. KI also has a lifetime warranty.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7960305 09/03/20 12:52 PM
J
JABHunting Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
What are you going to do when you are in the woods (maybe in another state) and see that your string is coming apart? Break out your bow press, open another set of cables and string ($45+) and go to work. That's really your only choice. Or, get an Excalibur. Use your de-string tool to take off the old string and put on the new one ($24). It will take you about a minute and it wont make any noise. But what if you break a limb (maybe from an accidental dry fire?). Your pretty much out of commission with any compound bow. With your Excalibur you break out your hex key and spare limbs ($125-150) and replace them by removing two screws in a matter of 5 minutes, put the string back on and you're ready to go. Can't find your broadheads? Most Excalibur's (I have 5) will shoot a variety of styles and weight to the same point of impact or very close out to 30-yards. Not so with others. Travelling? Take one bolt out of your Excalibur and pull the front off. Put the whole thing in a break-down shotgun case (you don't even have to take the string off). Upon arrival, put the front back on with the one bolt and you're still sighted in and ready to go. Or, drag that big "T" shaped case around with your compound in it. Some compounds you have to shoot to de-[censored] so you better remember your blunt bolt or you'll be potentially ruining a bolt. Excalibur? Just hold the cocking rope and de-[censored] it.

I inherited a Killer Instinct Machine recently. Good looking bow, Small and with a folding stock. 385 FPS on the box. Decent scope with it. Trigger Tech comes standard. I really wanted to like it since it has sentimental value to me. SIghted in with field points and its accurate and strong. Put on a fixed blade and missed the whole target bag at 20-yards. Confirmed sight-in with field point...its dead on. Tried 5 different fixed blades of same weight and 2 of different weight. The blades always go low and left from the POI that the field points hit (bullseyes). I don't want to have two sight settings. I finally found one expandable out of 3 that I tried that hits just an inch from the field points. So, I am limited to just these expandable BH's if I am going to leave the scope set with field points. My Excalibur's shoot a variety of weights and types of broadheads to the same point of impact as field points. I don't know the exact science of why the difference. I am very happy to have anyone stop by and shoot both on my range with any BH you want to try and see this crazy disparity for yourself.

As a ranch owner here and a retired PH in RSA I have experienced 3 crossbow failures from clients over many years. All were compound bows. I always offer them one of my Excalibur's to complete their hunt. Most end up buying one. Statistically, I bet I've had near 100 clients with compound crossbows and maybe a half-dozen to ten with Excalibur crossbows. So, statistically I cant demonstrate a fair comparison. However, the failures could not have happened or could have been easily remedied if the crossbow would have been a recurve instead of a compound. I have an Ibex, at the time is was a $500 bow, and it has had over 3000 bolts fired through it and is on the third string. Other than that, the scope hasn't even moved. I also have a Matrix 380 that is accurate and powerful and has been totally reliable for over 500 shots (Has a Leupold scope). The most recent is a Micro Axe 340. ( I did put a Leupold scope on this one). It is light, compact and accurate. Great trigger and plenty of velocity. I use an 18" Black Eagle Zombie Slayer with 110 grain insert and 150 grain Sonic Bolt BH. This bow can use 16" bolts but I use the 18" because I use it in the other bows I have including the Killer Instinct Machine.

I'd be happy to sell this Killer Instinct with 9 bolts all set up and sighted in for a very fair price, try it before you buy it. On the other hand, if you're serious about your crossbow, I really encourage you to look at a recurve type and get a de-stringing tool and spare string. If you are really worried, get a spare set of limbs too. If its an Excalibur it has a Lifetime no questions asked warranty. Only the sting is not warranted.

Best of luck to you!

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7960603 09/03/20 05:51 PM
H
Huskerron Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Can't argue much with your points regarding Excalibur. Another advantage is they are not strung constantly, so less string stretching over time . Your comments on what do you do if you have a field breakdown, is why I have two Parkers when I go hunting. Not sure why the accuracy issues with the KI. I don't have them with my Parkers. As regards warranty, that's why I bought Parker, but Parker went away. Hard to debate your experience level and I never stop learning from those with your level of expertise.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: Huskerron] #7960635 09/03/20 06:39 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thanks to all, but JAB really took the extra time and appears to have a lot of experience. Ive admitted being an experienced deer hunter but almost none of that with any kind of bow. Ive never even been aware of any difference between compound and recurve xbows. If I had thought about it I guess I would of known both existed but I would of assumed all the newer and more modern ones were all compound and recurve were old and out dated. Obviously Im wrong which is no surprise. I would also of ASSUMED since I THOUGHT the compounds were the wave of the future that they would be the cats meow and that recurves must have something lacking.

I guess before I fine tune my xbow search I should decide if I want compound or recurve???
JAB seems to be saying that recurve is more idiot proof with less to go wrong....??
So whats the downside to recurve?? Must be another side to the story. Less speed? Less accuracy? More noise?
Are all Excalliburs recurves?
Are there other recurves besides Excallibur?
School me guys..... Im ready to write a big check, and not a lot of time, so I need schooling before I spend money for the wrong thing.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7960708 09/03/20 07:49 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
If you are near a Bass Pro or Cabela's go shoot some of them. They will have several.. Let the bow tell you.

Excaliburs are on my list for a reason, they are very solid bows. Up side are the ones mentioned above, downside for some are to get the speed from a recurve you have to have more poundage, which makes them harder to draw. Excalibur does makd cocking wench device that works but is not as essy as the 10 points and you have another thing to keep up with in the field if you need one. While their 400fps bows are really fast for a recurve the have some that do that. For me the 400fps models are not easy to draw but I am not tall but have arms like I should be 5 inches taller, I get to the last inch and can do it but not many times. The Micro series is smaller with a shorter stroke and even the fastest one is no problem with just the standard cocking rope.

With all the accessories for dampening vibration the Excalibur is almost as quite as the better compounds.. I I do not know if it is still on their site but at one time they had one on it of dropping a crossbow off a building or water tower then shooting it without issues. I dang sure would not do that with any of the compounds

Excalibur is a Canadian company but has a warranty center in Pennsylvania. Good service from that shop. When I was working a shop some parts they would send me replacements for under warranty while other issues they wanted to see for root cause of the failure. Good guys. (not that we had much warranty work with them).

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7960776 09/03/20 08:41 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
We have a few crossbows on my archery lease. The Excalibur is definitely the easiest to work on. It also has twice the draw weight of the others and is substantially louder. Also a lot wider. I prefer the optics and cocking device on my ten point personally. And I’ve dropped it from 16 foot in a tree stand and had no damage.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7960782 09/03/20 08:50 PM
J
JABHunting Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
First, let me say that there are good compound crossbows. Some are well thought out. I would say if one floats your boat for whatever reason and you are a casual crossbow hunter one might serve you well. If you are near home and have a bow shop nearby most problems can be solved in a few days if one arises.

Casual crossbow shooter: Less than 100 bolts per year. Sight in field tips, make adjustments for BH's and hunt.

I like the KI Machine that I inherited. After a few shots I had to order new sting and cables as the serving was worn and the strands frayed. I have a bow press, so after $45 I just put new the new strings and cables on myself. I found a BH that it likes and if I were just going to shoot deer and hogs I could live with it.

There are other recurve crossbows, Barnett has one. There are recurves that compete readily with the compounds as far as FPS. Right now the compounds top out around 480 FPS and the recurves around 420 FPS. First, the advertised velocity is typically accomplished with a 350 grain bolt. That weight bolt is not advantageous for long range stability, wind bucking or penetration anyway. Follow the manufacturers minimum bolt weight specs, but I would try to exceed the amount of grains = the stated velocity by 75 grains or more. For example, a 350 FPS bow should have a bolt around 425 grains minimum for hunting applications. You can accomplish it by length, insert weight and point weight. As an example, 10 grains per inch with 18 inch bolt is 180, +24 for vanes, 12 for nock, maybe a 90-110 grain insert and a BH of 100 gr+. Your at 406 grains on the lowest end of that with +56 over bow FPS. So you "fix" that by increasing something. Use a 20" bolt (+20) or a 110 grain insert (+20) or a 125 gr BH (+25) from the 406 with the minimum. Now you are at +75. See how that does and maybe go "up", not down. I like 150 gr BH's. My compound is marked 385 FPS but I use a 468 grain bolt and it only puts out 344 fps. My Excalibur Matrix 380 is marked 380 FPS but I use a 480 grain bolt and it gets 364 FPS.

My first recurve crossbow was marked 295 FPS and actually did 277 FPS with my bolt/BH set up. I have never shot past 40-yards, but I have had 100% pass through on deer and hogs in the dozens each. My next crossbow was marked 305 FPS and actually did 278 FPS with my bolt/BH set up. My friends, clients and family shared that bow for years and out of maybe 100 animals I can recall 4 that did not pass through, but all were readily recovered. My point is, once you exceed 300 FPS or so and at the ranges you stated (20-30 yards) the extra velocity is on the other side of the animal. Admittedly, for longer range the higher velocity to make for flatter trajectory, but crossbow scopes are typically featured with range has marks or circles that correspond to your FPS out to 50 yards (some more).

There is not less speed, accuracy or noise. With my Excalibur Ibex and Matrix I cannot shoot the same spot twice because I will cut my arrow or shear the vanes off. The AXE is a little less accurate and I think it is because the rail is shorter and has less time to let the bolt relax on the way out. But, when I say a little less accurate, the AXE (stated at 340 FPS) shoots into a half-dollar at 20 and 30 yards. Maybe a tennis ball at 40 and 50 yards. And, its $549 brand new. Of my Excalibur's, the Matrix 380 is factory stock (it comes with "string bumpers") other than a Flemish string. It is the quietest of the 4, including the one compound. Probably next is the AXE, its short and stiff so the sound is deadened very quickly. The Ibex and Killer Instinct compound are about the same for sound.

Another whole discussion is cam timing. Most compound archers can talk at length about that. Depending on your string route, cable slide mechanism and cable configuration the cams must be in synch. If one is slightly out it puts more pressure on the string on one side of the bolt and can cause inconsistent flight, accuracy and sight in issues and uneven wear and tear on the strings and cables.

For online deals on some Made in USA and Canada crossbows go to Wyvern Creations. They have great prices and customer service and usually free shipping. Ebay vendors have decent deals sometimes. Cabelas and Bass Pro carry several at ok pricing but if you can get one of the coupons or use the 5% military discount its a fair price.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: JABHunting] #7960889 09/03/20 11:28 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Wow, this has been great info so far guys. Im afraid to comment as much as I would like cause I worry I will lose yall but so far yall are following real well. JABs definition of a “casual xbow hunter” fits me, at least on the surface. I only plan to shoot enough to sight it in and get comfy and then I plan to shoot one arrow at a very large WT buck(close to home) and then put it away till next year. HOWEVER, “casual” does not describe anything about me at all. I am very very serious about preparing to hunt and I hunt very hard and very often and killing what I shoot at is very important. So I am “casual” only in that I wont hunt a bunch with the bow. Come Muzzle and Rifle season the bow is put away and I don’t plan on hunting hogs, does, culls, targets etc.
SPEED, ACCURACY and QUIET. The REASONS those are important to me ALL have to do with the buck moving, dipping, ducking after I pull the trigger. IF IF IF IF the buck would NOT move at all after I pull the trigger then I am completely confident I could kill it dead very consistently with ANY ANY ANY xbow on the market(barring mechanical failure). That takes into consideration that I wont shoot over 30 yards. I wont shoot unless I have a solid rest and both elbows are locked in. I wont shoot a moving deer or disturbed deer. I wont shoot at an odd angle that doesn’t allow proper shot placement. Even if a bow only shot a 3” group and was moving slow and was noisy the deer should still die IF IF IF he didn’t move.
SPEED—I want speed so that the arrow will get to my point of aim BEFORE he drops(very far.)
ACCURACY—I need to be able to aim very low and hit a precise spot in case he does NOT drop. If he does drop then I want as tight a group as possible so I will not hit too high to be out of the kill zone.
NOISE—Obviously if its quiet then there will be less chance he will drop and the need for the above will be decreased or negated.
AM I THINKING CORRECTLY????
I would always want durability and ease of working on but I am NOT back packing in the mountains. I am also not going to shoot it enough to wear out anything. I am also not shooting multiple species in awkward positions at long range etc. Also, I cant FIX squat, so if its broke im dead in the water and going to a shop(which isn’t far.)
Clarification needed::: Getting different opinions on noise from yall on various bows so like to hear more on that. I don’t guess there is any “noise rating” like there is for speed etc. Evidently there are things you can do to make them quieter which is good to know.
Also, JAB, I havent ruled out buying your KI. I just want to learn more first.
Hopefully ive given yall food for some more comments. Thanks and keep em coming.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7961452 09/04/20 03:51 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Talk with David owner of Wyvern Creations he can recommend what you need and you can't beat his prices.

Last edited by snake oil; 09/04/20 03:52 PM.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: snake oil] #7962373 09/05/20 03:45 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Just found a friend had a Ten Point Titan Extreme for sale. He says it’s real accurate but I’m learning my idea of accurate isn’t same as some. I may shoot it. What y’all know about it. I Keep leaning towards Mission an not sure why.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7962435 09/05/20 05:01 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Try his bow out, Tenpoint has been making crossbows since well before Mathews was saying Catch us if you can. Just kidding but true.

The more different ones you shoot the nore you get a feel of what feels right to you. And discovering accuracy for you with them.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7962479 09/05/20 06:06 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
The Titan name has been used for years in several different models. It tends to be their starter crossbow. Now the new Titan M1 looks to be pretty nice.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7965709 09/08/20 08:37 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I bought an Excalibur Equinox Litestuff package back in 2011. It was easy to sight in and shoots great groups. I can take the string off to relax the bow limbs in off-season or change it out. Being an older model it is heavy and wider than the newer ones...it is louder and has a stiff trigger also. The newer owns solved all those issues. It shoots very tight groups of less than 1" at 20 and 30 yards and will shoot the knocks out if you use a Caldwell Dead Shot rest. I usually shoot targets with multiple bullseyes to keep from doing that. What I do like is I can decock it as easy as I can [censored] it with the the manual cocking rope. If I bought a newer Excalibur I would get one of the narrow ones...mine is wide enough to make it difficult to shoot in some box blinds, some tripods and out of some treestands. I have shot an older model Ten Point back in 2008 or 2009..it was a bit quieter but also heavy. Most newer models of all crossbows are narrower and quieter today than 10 yrs ago.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: stxranchman] #7966012 09/08/20 11:58 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thanks to all on replies. I have continued to research and learn. I was beginning to think that a 1" group at 25 yards with a xbow was a mythical concept. Stx said different and Ive heard it from another reliable source. I kind of narrowed my search to a Mission or Tenpoint. I went back to On Target Archery shop in Canton(very good folks, extremely helpful.) I shot the Mission Sub-1 XR and the Tenpoint 440 both at 20 yards off a good rest. Tenpoint shot about 2.5" group. The Mission I put 5 shots inside an inch and the salesman put one in same spot. The Mission was a little shorter and seemed a little quieter. The salesman thinks they are a good bit quieter. The Tenpoint trigger was crisper and I liked it better. The Mission trigger seemed to have a lot of travel before breaking and I didnt like but maybe thats me(groups much better, so theres that......).
Im usually a compulsive buyer but Ive told myself to sleep on any important purchase so I am but unless somebody talks me out of it im really leaning towards the Mission. Barring solid advise from yall I will probably go back in and if it shoots 1" again I will walk out with it.

Re: Crossbow-looking for high end [Re: freerange] #7967264 09/09/20 08:39 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Now that im on the downhill side of deciding what bow to but im looking at other things. Im sure on BH the question on fixed blade versus expandable is probably like asking what gun to shoot or what game camera to buy. From what little i can gather it doesnt seem quite as controversial with xbows. Several have told me that with xbows the majority think the extra speed of xbow makes the expandable the better choice. Im open minded on this one and would like some opinions. Ive also been told that with expandables the field points and BH should fly to the same spot...?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide