Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Beer Cans In The Blinds #7957527 09/01/20 11:41 AM
F
fishdfly Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
I was making rounds over the weekend spraying locks with WD40 and decided to check on my blinds the lessors use.

In looking inside, I found beer cans. In my lease agreement I did not specifically address drinking while hunting.

My question is:

1. For those who lease, did you address drinking while hunting in your lease agreement? Or is it understood as a general
rule not to do so?

2. For those who are lease managers who set the written rules for the group, did you address drinking while hunting? Or is
it understood as a general rule not to do so?

Should there be consequences for drinking while hunting and if so what?

I know there is a difference between drinking a beer and having too many. Question comes to mind, how many cans did they take off and were those in the blinds forgotten.

Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957553 09/01/20 12:07 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by fishdfly
I was making rounds over the weekend spraying locks with WD40 and decided to check on my blinds the lessors use.

In looking inside, I found beer cans. In my lease agreement I did not specifically address drinking while hunting.

My question is:

1. For those who lease, did you address drinking while hunting in your lease agreement? Or is it understood as a general
rule not to do so?

2. For those who are lease managers who set the written rules for the group, did you address drinking while hunting? Or is

I know there is a difference between drinking a beer and having too many. Question comes to mind, how many cans did they take off and were those in the blinds forgotten.

To me there is only one thing to do if your hunters are drinking in the blinds.

Take them out in front of their peers and give them a spanking! I can’t imagine a grown man drinking a beer in a deer blind.

Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957584 09/01/20 12:34 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Even though this subject draws a lot of different, vehement opinions (and I'm sure you'll soon see them here), you're never gonna stop grown men from having a beer on the deer lease. You can't force men to make good decisions, as in when to quit, with a lease document. I wouldn't start, unless you see a completely blitzed or unsafe person; then you address it quickly and verbally to the group.

Trash in the blinds is a separate issue. If they're you're blinds, I'd make sure they understand to clean them at the end of the season. I can't stand trash of any kind left behind.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: Creekrunner] #7957585 09/01/20 12:36 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Even though this subject draws a lot of different, vehement decisions (and I'm sure you'll soon see them here), you're never gonna stop grown men from having a beer on the deer lease. You can't force men to make good decisions, as in when to quit, with a lease document. I wouldn't start, unless you see a completely blitzed or unsafe person; then you address it quickly and verbally to the group.

Trash in the blinds is a separate issue. If they're you're blinds, I'd make sure they understand to clean them at the end of the season. I can't stand trash of any kind left behind.

Agreed and very well said.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7957587 09/01/20 12:38 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Even though this subject draws a lot of different, vehement decisions (and I'm sure you'll soon see them here), you're never gonna stop grown men from having a beer on the deer lease. You can't force men to make good decisions, as in when to quit, with a lease document. I wouldn't start, unless you see a completely blitzed or unsafe person; then you address it quickly and verbally to the group.

Agreed and very well said.

Yep

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957619 09/01/20 01:03 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I've never been on a lease that allowed drinking anytime during hunting hours. Only after sundown. And I would ask for my money back
and get off any lease that allowed drinking while in the stands.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957620 09/01/20 01:04 PM
H
h20thief Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
We as lessee's dont specifically address drinking in the blind and we dont have a contract with the owner, just a handshake deal that's lasted 12 plus years. Personally I enjoy an adult beverage while in the stand. Hunting is relaxing to me and if I thought I could get away with smoking a cigar in the stand I'd do that too. Trash in the blind, regardless of the type is aggravating, especially if someone has asked to hunt it and they leave it a disaster. Be responsible adults and deal with the ones that cant be.

H20thief
------------
Positive thinking may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957627 09/01/20 01:12 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I hate when a blind has trash piled up under your feet or in a corner.
If you carried it in, you can just as easily carry it out! That goes for cans candy wrappers and everything else. It invites the unwanted critters.
As for drinking, that should be handled in the lease agreement, and if not let it go.
Only exception is if you find a bunch of empty whiskey bottles in the blind, then there is a problem, especially if they are your blinds!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957636 09/01/20 01:22 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
In general, alcohol & guns are a bad mix. We don't want to see anyone drinking until the guns are put away. We had a gentleman a few years back who showed up to the lease early on a Friday so he decided to hunt that evening. He apparently drank 9 beers in the blind. when he got back to camp, one of the other hunters had just arrived. He pulled up to camp, got out of his truck, walked around to the passenger side and opened the door to get his rifle and shot a hole through the driver side door of his 1 week old truck and through our camper. The rest of us arrived about 30 minutes later and I've never seen someone as embarrassed. He knew he screwed up and was very fortunate that no one else paid for his mistake..

I have on occasion taken A beer to my blind in my backpack....but after that little episode, no way I would allow that to get out of hand with anyone on our lease....its just not worth it.

Last edited by Schpanky; 09/01/20 01:22 PM.
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957647 09/01/20 01:31 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
If you act like a pig inside your blind and do not clean up after yourself, you are likely a pig outside of the blind.

Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: Schpanky] #7957668 09/01/20 01:45 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Schpanky
In general, alcohol & guns are a bad mix. We don't want to see anyone drinking until the guns are put away. We had a gentleman a few years back who showed up to the lease early on a Friday so he decided to hunt that evening. He apparently drank 9 beers in the blind. when he got back to camp, one of the other hunters had just arrived. He pulled up to camp, got out of his truck, walked around to the passenger side and opened the door to get his rifle and shot a hole through the driver side door of his 1 week old truck and through our camper. The rest of us arrived about 30 minutes later and I've never seen someone as embarrassed. He knew he screwed up and was very fortunate that no one else paid for his mistake..

I have on occasion taken A beer to my blind in my backpack....but after that little episode, no way I would allow that to get out of hand with anyone on our lease....its just not worth it.

Goes back to the no loaded guns in camp or vehicle rule we set. Drinking is allowed but unloading your gun before getting out of your deer stand is required.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957671 09/01/20 01:45 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
From a land owners perspective, if you don't have a provision in your lease that forbids alcohol during a hunt you're putting your place at risk. Drunk hunter shoots another member and the lawyers will come after you. 2cents

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957675 09/01/20 01:49 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
You mean there are people that don’t have a couple beers while sitting in a blind on an evening hunt? Now leaving trash in your blind is inexcusable.

Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957677 09/01/20 01:50 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
No way you can put everything in a lease to cover all events. In addition, the lease does not hold the hunters' family members from addressing you at time of an event. Take the uncertainty out of it by obtaining a million dollar farm liability policy with coverage for the recreational land use exposure (lease hunters). Having that will invoke Chapter 75 of the TX Civil Codes and Remedies and limit your liability exposure to the million dollar coverage limit in place. They really do not cost very much. It's a "cap" worth paying for,

Last edited by Hudbone; 09/01/20 01:51 PM.
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957691 09/01/20 01:59 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Sunflower shells drive me crazy, spit them outside if you HAVE to eatem.

I've hunted with an alcoholic before, Mic Ultra cans everywhere. I'm not on that lease anymore.

I don't condone drinking while hunting. If you can't wait till sundown, you have a drikin problem.

After sundown, and guns are put up, drink away, just dont get stupid.

Dove shooting is a hard one not to drink. I'll stop shooting early evening to start drinking and yelling at all my buddies for being "No Shootin SOB's".

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957704 09/01/20 02:09 PM
M
MWTX270 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Drinking while hunting? Not for me, nor will I hunt with those that do. At the end of the day, in camp, with guns put away, fine.

Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: Buzzsaw] #7957761 09/01/20 02:42 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Sunflower shells drive me crazy, spit them outside if you HAVE to eatem.

Big one for me. I love the boy to death, but i sure wish he would quit spitting sunflower hulls on the floors!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957765 09/01/20 02:43 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
On our leases we never drank in the blinds. No written rules but we knew the LO's stance on it and that was fine. You bring a deer to the skinning rack at 7am and she would bring a beer for you and her, but not in the blind.

On our own property ill take one on an evening hunt every once in a while, but its not a big deal and not all the time.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957809 09/01/20 03:11 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
My strong preference is to wait until you get back to camp to drink, I grew up mentored by a generation of great hunters that never mixed alcohol and firearms. That didn't mean they didn't drink, I remember great shenanigans at camp even when I was very young, and a lot of stupid (funny) pranks and behavior. They just didn't drink while hunting and that's what I've adopted and passing along to my boys.

The lease where I am isn't that disciplined, lots of guys sitting around drinking all day and then making their way to blinds, often with coolers. I don't judge, I don't give a crap what they do but it's not my cup of tea and I make sure to hunt the other side of the ranch.

If I was running a commercial hunting operation, the rule would be clear. No drinking while hunting, drink and relax AFTER the hunt. The few times I've been on guided hunts that's been the general rule and adhered to pretty strictly.

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957832 09/01/20 03:25 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I like to sit in a blind and watch the animals. I also like to have a beer or 2 while doing it. But then again I haven't shot a deer out of a blind in years. I usually do that out of a truck or UTV. I don't know if the folks I have that coming to hunt drink beer in the stand or not. I haven't found any beer cans laying around. So either they don't or they clean up. As long as nobody gets sh*t faced I don't care.

Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: Creekrunner] #7957840 09/01/20 03:31 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L

My question is:

rule not to do so?

First off, the worst thing you can possibly spray in or on a lock is WD40. Most Locksmiths refer to WD40 as job security for Locksmiths.

Even though this subject draws a lot of different, vehement opinions (and I'm sure you'll soon see them here), you're never gonna stop grown men from having a beer on the deer lease. You can't force men to make good decisions, as in when to quit, with a lease document. I wouldn't start, unless you see a completely blitzed or unsafe person; then you address it quickly and verbally to the group.

He put it perfectly.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Last edited by LeonCarr; 09/01/20 03:31 PM.

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957849 09/01/20 03:35 PM
F
fishdfly Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
"First off, the worst thing you can possibly spray in or on a lock is WD40. Most Locksmiths refer to it as job security for Locksmiths"

I have read that.

Have been spraying locks for about 40 years with no problems.

WD40 is a water displacement fluid and it deeps the rain water out of the locks so they do not freeze during the winter.

Sure beasts urinating on them when it's freezing, especially the locks on the barns which are up high..

Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957856 09/01/20 03:38 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
WD40 more of a good cleaning agent than a lubricant

Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: fishdfly] #7957860 09/01/20 03:41 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
"First off, the worst thing you can possibly spray in or on a lock is WD40. Most Locksmiths refer to it as job security for Locksmiths"

I have read that.

Have been spraying locks for about 40 years with no problems.

WD40 is a water displacement fluid and it deeps the rain water out of the locks so they do not freeze during the winter.

Sure beasts urinating on them when it's freezing, especially the locks on the barns which are up high..

While im not 40 yet, ive been gate B&$*% for 20-30 years and never came accross a frozen lock, does that actually happen?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Beer Cans In The Blinds [Re: redchevy] #7957872 09/01/20 03:49 PM
A
AMF Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted by redchevy
While im not 40 yet, ive been gate B&$*% for 20-30 years and never came accross a frozen lock, does that actually happen?

Seen it many times.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide