Forums46
Topics537,971
Posts9,731,245
Members87,052
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7953390 08/28/20 09:00 PM
Reloder28 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
The very first item on your new season agenda should be to read & heed your Outdoor Annual & your Public Hunting Lands handbook cover to cover. A reply to an inquiring game warden of "I didn't know" will elicit the same response at the very least.

Last edited by Reloder28; 08/28/20 09:03 PM.

[b][/b]
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7953410 08/28/20 09:10 PM
S
SlaminEm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
they were hunting public land not private.

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7955157 08/30/20 05:17 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I had a Model 94 that had to be unloaded by running rounds in and out of the action. It was cold and I had on a jacket. This was 50 years ago. The cuff of the jacket caught on the trigger as I was unloading the gun- working the action and BAM the gun fired. I was away from camp and the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. I sold that gun and got a Marlin 336 with a cross bolt safety. My only point is some systems are just better than others. No one today seems to go around with an empty chamber. You can still have rounds in the magazine. For young people- I think that's a good way to start them out. That seemed to be a lot more common years ago. The game is less now and everyone is too anxious to shoot something- it seems. I've taken a couple of hunter ed classes and the subject gets glossed over but I think more attention should be given it. A lot of young people over rely on safeties. On the old Remington 700 trigger with the connector. Some folks epoxied it in place but I never really got the issue until someone explained it to me. I still have that set up and no problem. I clean the trigger and and don't play or wiggle the trigger. Never had a problem.

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: adkhunter] #7956232 08/31/20 01:39 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by adkhunter

This right here. My 6 yo clears a gun first thing. Respect the tool. No point in having a tool you cannot use. That said, i also respect laws and other people’s property rights. If their policy is no loaded weapons, I’m fine with that and abide.

...unless there is a 3006 sign, they i turn around and don’t patronize them again.

Amen on the bolded part my friend and I couldn't agree more with you on the first part.

Teach them from a very young age what weapons do and that once done you cannot take it back and you will be amazed how most kids respond to that.
My boy is now 21 and knows more about guns than I ever did. He wants to finish up his BS in business then eventually open a gun shop but now is thinking twice about that due to all the BS happening around our country. I told him to go on and do it as this is Texas and no matter what we will keep our weapons come hell or high water. flag

And no doubt, I always will respect the law and abide by it....even the ones that might not make the best sense to me. lol

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Dave Scott] #7956258 08/31/20 01:47 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
I had a Model 94 that had to be unloaded by running rounds in and out of the action. It was cold and I had on a jacket. This was 50 years ago. The cuff of the jacket caught on the trigger as I was unloading the gun- working the action and BAM the gun fired. I was away from camp and the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. I sold that gun and got a Marlin 336 with a cross bolt safety. My only point is some systems are just better than others. No one today seems to go around with an empty chamber. You can still have rounds in the magazine. For young people- I think that's a good way to start them out. That seemed to be a lot more common years ago. The game is less now and everyone is too anxious to shoot something- it seems. I've taken a couple of hunter ed classes and the subject gets glossed over but I think more attention should be given it. A lot of young people over rely on safeties. On the old Remington 700 trigger with the connector. Some folks epoxied it in place but I never really got the issue until someone explained it to me. I still have that set up and no problem. I clean the trigger and and don't play or wiggle the trigger. Never had a problem.

I took the hunter's ed class multiple times to get my kids and wife through it. We all had the same instructor and he demonstrated safety failure causes multiple times in his class. He worked with the sheriff's department so he had different models of rifles to demonstrate with. The one example that stuck out with me was lifting a rifle 2 feet off the ground and dropping it on its butt. Almost every safety failed that test back. The other example he did was hand a person a rifle and simulated game approaching, raising the rifle and lowering the rifle. The majority of people fail to put the safety back on, after the adrenaline kicks in its worse. I come from a military back ground and I still unload my guns (except the one on my person) for the simple fact that others around me may not have the same training and may not have learned to respect a firearm the way I have. Too many people make mistakes specially the ones that know it all and become complacent with firearm safety. Not every scenario has the same end result. Unloading your firearm will usually prevent a lot of tears though (my friend learned the hard way). Unless your south of the border or into something bad you don't need a loaded rifle in camp anyway. Stay safe.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7956289 08/31/20 02:06 PM
kwrhuntinglab Online Shocked
"The Guardian"
Online Shocked
"The Guardian"
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
I was watching Lone Star Law the other night and learned something I did not know. The GW drove into a hunting camp and walked over and picked up a
rifle. It was loaded, so he wrote the man who owned it a ticket. Now, all of the hunting leases that I have been on, we
had a rule, no loaded guns in camp. I'm just asking when did it become a law? And I hunt alone many times, so if I bring
my gun back into camp loaded, I'm breaking the law?

He was hunting on public lands and was parked in the parking lot. You can't have loaded guns in the parking lot of public hunting property, plus the gun was unattended, loaded, and not on safety.
This wasn't private property....

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7957458 09/01/20 09:33 AM
N
nocknload Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Safety first always

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7957485 09/01/20 10:42 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I seldom unload my rifles when hunting. But, when I enter the house, I open the bolt. When on a 4 wheeler, I have the safety on.

I ASSUME that all of my guns are loaded.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7957530 09/01/20 11:44 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
To me common sense says not to have a round in the chamber of a rifle when in camp or in vehicles.

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7957676 09/01/20 01:49 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Back when I was growing up in the 50's, we as kids were taught not to touch my dad's guns. He kept them behind a door in easy reach, but we knew not to touch them.
Most kids growing up on a farm or with parents that grew up in a rural community taught their kids at an early age, and it was just common sense that we survived.
Nowadays kids see a gun and it's a curiosity to them, and they can't leave it alone.
Were parents reckless back then?
Were the guns unloaded in deer camp? Maybe? or maybe not? I sure couldn't tell you for sure.
That said, as an adult I followed the rules where you treat any gun as if it were loaded, and I would never have a gun left unattended with rounds in the chamber or even in a magazine.
The chamber would be clear, and the detachable magazine (clip to some) would be in my pocket if I intend to hunt later that day.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7957705 09/01/20 02:09 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
NEVER touch another man's........

Woman
Gun
Hat
Bottle
horse
dog
anything.............

ASK first bolt

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7962252 09/05/20 12:11 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
If a GW came to my place(I don't live there) and checked for loaded guns, he would strip his gears.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #8088319 12/14/20 01:25 AM
B
BooneCrockettBowieMartin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Not sure if covered before, I talked to TPWD last week ,they said for on any public land, if you have a CHL you can carry loaded concealed or open on any part of the public land camp or no camp for defense or mountain lion ect. as long as your not actively hunting with it. They would have to see you or have video of you actively hunting with it.But I would never have a loaded rifle in camp.
Reminds me of MeatEater when a big grizzly bear roared thur camp and his friend REMI had left his 45 cal. pistol by his back pack on the other side of camp.

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 12/14/20 01:41 AM.

You'll come to know, when the bullet hits the bone.
I didn't come this far and get this old by Backing Up.
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Texas Dan] #8088458 12/14/20 04:02 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by freerange
I had a good friend just last year kind of hunt his way back to the truck after a morning hunt with gun loaded. He set the rifle down across the seat and was going to take off his backpack before unloading and the gun went off as he sat it down and shot through the passenger door. It was some type of faulty trigger/safety issue he had to fix. Sure glad it didnt happen in camp.

The majority of hunting-related accidental shootings don't happen in the woods but around vehicles and other places. People tend to be more careful in the woods. It's complacency that doesn't mix well with loaded firearms in other settings.

I thought this was an interesting statement. For 2019, most of the hunting accident appear to happen in the field. It looks like just 2 incidents happened around vehicles...
https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education/2019-hunting-accident-report-2.pdf

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide