Forums46
Topics537,061
Posts9,719,950
Members86,995
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7953232 08/28/20 06:29 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
Yeah it's not any fun fighting a big tuna for 45 minutes to have a big shark chop him off behind the gills. Things have sure changed a lot out in the deep blue water. Makes me look at how it used to be done before the floaters.
Building the world's deepest platform

One shot is all it should take.
Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: yotehater] #7953233 08/28/20 06:29 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by yotehater
One time we flew into Grand Isle when the eye was just 40 miles away. There were 8 cars in the parking lot at the heliport everyone else was already gone and the island was in storm surge. The highway was under water all the way to Port Fouchon. That's seawater.

Once they didn't even have time to get us to our vehicles. They flew us to New Orleans and put us into hotels for a week. Everyone lost their trucks and cars. One guy had a brand new Vette and it was completely submerged. All of the engines, transmissions, and rear ends were full of seawater.

Man o man, that sucks. I've never lost a vehicle like that, luckily. The only problems we ever had were vehicles getting broken into at the heliport.

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: Dustnsand] #7953235 08/28/20 06:34 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by z71dustin
For someone who doesn't know anything about oil production and especially platforms like me, the TV show Richard Hammond's BIG on the Appomattox episode is a good show.

It's a good TV show overall but on that episode he goes on Shells Appomattox platform. I found it really interesting knowing zero about them.

https://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/richard-hammonds-big/full-episodes/mega-oil-platform

Yep, that's a pretty good representation of what it's like. I was on a different platform when they shot that video. My Son and a bunch of my buddies were on the Appomattox. She's a biggun'. up

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7953247 08/28/20 06:52 PM
jeh7mmmag Online Happy
gramps
Online Happy
gramps
This is video of a Spar Rig (Perdido) built out of Corpus (skinnerback has his name on it somewhere LOL). Deep Water Horizon was a floating platform somewhat similar to a drill ship. The size and weight of these rigs are amazing. Some of the top platforms are built in Thailand (cheap abundant labor) and hauled over to site on heavy lift ship that actual sinks almost all the way under water to load their cargo. I believe this Platform was built in Thailand??
Amazing engineering .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMX8BEWMtlw

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: yotehater] #7953249 08/28/20 06:54 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Yeah it's not any fun fighting a big tuna for 45 minutes to have a big shark chop him off behind the gills. Things have sure changed a lot out in the deep blue water. Makes me look at how it used to be done before the floaters.

Yep, things have changed a lot. I started at the now long gone Gulf Marine yard when I graduated High School, building the original Shell MARS platform (MARS 1). My ex FIL was on the Bullwinkle, I remember all of the pictures posted everywhere in the buildings. It was quite an accomplishment for the time.

I spent 2 years on the new world's deepest floating production platform (the Shell Perdido), sitting in 8,000 ft of water. I made friends with the ROV crew and got some really cool videos of sea creatures never seen before, from the sea floor at 8,000 ft. Crazy big alien looking creatures.

Back to fishing, on the one floater that let us fish. We lost quite a few tuna to sharks as well. Nobody wanted to catch or eat a shark. They all said they're no good to eat etc etc.....they said the same thing about rainbow runners. I said tell you what man, you put a shark on this deck and I'll show you what to do with it. So we did. Long story short, after it was all fried up and the ones that tried it got over the thought of it being shark, they tore it up LOL. After that they started snagging more sharks.

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7953293 08/28/20 07:42 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by jeh7mmmag
This is video of a Spar Rig (Perdido) built out of Corpus (skinnerback has his name on it somewhere LOL). Deep Water Horizon was a floating platform somewhat similar to a drill ship. The size and weight of these rigs are amazing. Some of the top platforms are built in Thailand (cheap abundant labor) and hauled over to site on heavy lift ship that actual sinks almost all the way under water to load their cargo. I believe this Platform was built in Thailand??
Amazing engineering .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMX8BEWMtlw

grin Yessr, I spent 2 yrs building/starting up Perdido. She's not the biggest (topsides) by any means, but she's still the deepest. That was a good project.

It's a damn shame, but right now most of the majors are building in Singapore & Korea vs here at home. There's a huge difference in labor cost between here and there, but there is also a HUGE difference in the quality of work. That's a fact, seen it. There is so much difference that the bean counters factor in a ridiculous amount of rework costs (up to 25% on the project I just left in Singapore). That's right, even if 25% of new construction has to be fixed/reworked, they are still money ahead. This goes against everything I was taught and believe in, but that's the way it is now. It's all about showing the world how much money they can save. SMH. I truly hope this changes soon.

No Sir, the Perdido (topsides) was built right here at home (KOS Yard/Ingleside). Most of the Hulls though that the Topsides sit on, are built in Korea. Shell is not building anymore here though, at least not now. They are building in Singapore. I was working on the Shell Vito Project being built over there, but got stuck working from home when the Rona started and flights got cancelled, then the price of oil tanked and I got laid off. The Shell Vito, and the next one right behind it (the Shell Whale - if it gets built now) are being built over there and then drug to the Gulf for installation. The rotation gets old when you have little ones at home though. I was on a 10 & 3 rotation in Singapore (10 weeks on/3 weeks off - remember all about saving money), but you travel on your off time too and that's half a week. Non negotiable. So you're actually working 10 1/2 on and 2 1/2 off). I'm unemployed and job hunting at the moment, as hard as it was to say no to a job I just turned down an opportunity on another major coming up that's being built in Korea. I've always wanted to go to Korea, but the rotation was even worse than Singapore (12 weeks on & 2 weeks off - travel on your off time). Not doing that to my kids. Hope things change in my field soon and we start building them at home again.....

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7953305 08/28/20 07:49 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
The oil field in the ocean blows my mind. Drilling a hole thousands of feet deep, that starts thousands of feet under water, from a floating object. Then pumping out of that hole along with others at the same time from basically a small town. Just nuts what can be done.

Crazy but fascinating stuff. I don't have much interest in working in the oil industry but think it would be cool to go out to a platform or ship and see how it operates for a bit.

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: Dustnsand] #7953317 08/28/20 08:03 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
The oil field in the ocean blows my mind. Drilling a hole thousands of feet deep, that starts thousands of feet under water, from a floating object. Then pumping out of that hole along with others at the same time from basically a small town. Just nuts what can be done.

Crazy but fascinating stuff. I don't have much interest in working in the oil industry but think it would be cool to go out to a platform or ship and see how it operates for a bit.

Yep, it is truly amazing how far we've come.

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: Dustnsand] #7953365 08/28/20 08:40 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y

Yeah it is like a small town. Several hundred people, bigger than some. We had two complete top drive drilling rigs drilling up top. While producing out of the 85 horizontally drilled wells that went out miles from the platform. It was obvious because when the Cognac platform would shut in, our production would go up. Mars was further out but we could see it.

They used to let retiring employees fly a helicopter full of family out for a big farewell back in the old days. Now it's pretty much new engineers right out of college coming out on field trips.

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: yotehater] #7953424 08/28/20 09:19 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

If I'm not mistaken, I flew by your old platform quite a bit for a while. A few years ago I did a major Fire & Gas Detection System upgrade on the then Statoil Titan platform, now the Equinor Titan. We were just a little further out in 4,000 ft. I'd have to look it up how close we were.

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: skinnerback] #7953436 08/28/20 09:28 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by skinnerback

If I'm not mistaken, I flew by your old platform quite a bit for a while. A few years ago I did a major Fire & Gas Detection System upgrade on the then Statoil Titan platform, now the Equinor Titan. We were just a little further out in 4,000 ft. I'd have to look it up how close we were.

Practically neighbors cheers

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: skinnerback] #7953466 08/28/20 09:51 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y

skinnerback, is that the one they called Thunder Horse originally before it was politically corrected? We could see them flaring at times and helicopters and supply boats heading that way.

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: yotehater] #7953492 08/28/20 10:12 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

skinnerback, is that the one they called Thunder Horse originally before it was politically corrected? We could see them flaring at times and helicopters and supply boats heading that way.

No Sir, not to my knowledge. I am familiar with the Thunderhorse, but as far as I know it's always kept the same name. I was almost part of the Thunderhorse Team and really wanted to go, but was tied up & committed on another project and management wouldn't let me go. A whole bunch of my buddies & coworkers were on it though through/after start-up. BP Thunderhorse is HUGE, way bigger than the Titan. It was the biggest in the world until the Appomattox came along. Thunderhorse is also the one that was almost lost after Hurricane Dennis, she was listing at 30 degrees. eek2 I know several of the guys that first went aboard after the storm to try and save her (they did). That must have been a real butt puckering experience. flehan

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7953533 08/28/20 10:50 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
No doubt that was bad. I remember now that Thunderhorse was originally called Crazy Horse but the Lakota sued and the name was changed. Good luck out there.

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: yotehater] #7953540 08/28/20 10:58 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
No doubt that was bad. I remember now that Thunderhorse was originally called Crazy Horse but the Lakota sued and the name was changed. Good luck out there.

That's right! I remember that.

Thanks, I'm ready to get back out there. Unemployment is driving me crazy. bang grin

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7953586 08/28/20 11:34 PM
jeh7mmmag Online Happy
gramps
Online Happy
gramps
Thanks for the first hand information Guys. cheers

Thunderhorse is also the one that was almost lost after Hurricane Dennis, she was listing at 30 degrees.

Below is from wiki....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Horse_PDQ

Some of that fine Korea work almost cost the lost of control and foundering
. I heard a valve was installed backwards or failed.??
Thunder Horse PDQ was evacuated with the approach of Hurricane Dennis in July 2005. After the hurricane passed, the platform fell into a 30 degree list and was in danger of foundering.[8][9][10]

The platform was designed for a 100-year event, and inspection teams found no hull damage and no leaks through its hull. Rather, an incorrectly plumbed 6-inch length of pipe allowed water to flow freely among several ballast tanks that set forth a chain of events causing the platform to tip into the water.[11][10] The platform was fully righted about a week after Dennis, delaying commercial production initially scheduled for late 2005.[12] During repairs, it was discovered that the underwater manifold was severely cracked due to poorly welded pipes.

The platform took a nearly-direct hit six weeks later from Hurricane Katrina, but was undamaged.

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7953625 08/29/20 12:09 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by jeh7mmmag
Thanks for the first hand information Guys. cheers

Thunderhorse is also the one that was almost lost after Hurricane Dennis, she was listing at 30 degrees.

Below is from wiki....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Horse_PDQ

Some of that fine Korea work almost cost the lost of control and foundering
. I heard a valve was installed backwards or failed.??
Thunder Horse PDQ was evacuated with the approach of Hurricane Dennis in July 2005. After the hurricane passed, the platform fell into a 30 degree list and was in danger of foundering.[8][9][10]

The platform was designed for a 100-year event, and inspection teams found no hull damage and no leaks through its hull. Rather, an incorrectly plumbed 6-inch length of pipe allowed water to flow freely among several ballast tanks that set forth a chain of events causing the platform to tip into the water.[11][10] The platform was fully righted about a week after Dennis, delaying commercial production initially scheduled for late 2005.[12] During repairs, it was discovered that the underwater manifold was severely cracked due to poorly welded pipes.

The platform took a nearly-direct hit six weeks later from Hurricane Katrina, but was undamaged.

I was told that there was an incorrectly plumbed pipe, and also heard there was an issue with one of the ballast valves in or on the hull, but can't say for sure exactly what that issue was since my information is 2'nd and 3'rd hand. I do know, that this was a HIGHLY sensitive subject that no one really wanted to discuss, understandably so.

In 2001 down in Brownsville, I supervised a total refurb job done on the Ensco 64 Jack Up Rig, originally built in Scotland by Penrod in 1966. Rig was old, in bad shape, and shut down/ordered to the beach by MMS for a total rebuild. A LOT of work went into refurbishing that thing, but we got it done and she was back out there making money not long afterwards. UNTIL Hurricane Ivan came strolling through shortly after and toppled the rig, off she went, floating away. After all that work, the Ensco 64 was a total loss lol. I did work a CRAP load of overtime and made some good money off of her though....

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7953690 08/29/20 01:06 AM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
These guys got killed doing a lifeboat drill. I wonder if it fell into the water instead of lowering.

Offshore fatalities

NEW ORLEANS — The U.S. Coast Guard has been sent to investigate after two people were killed Sunday morning during a routine test on a Shell oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico, officials said.

According to Shell spokesperson Cindy Babski, crews were running a mandatory test of the lifeboat launch at the Shell Auger Tension Leg Platform, located 214 miles south of New Orleans in the Gulf, at around 9 a.m. when an incident occurred.

Details were not available on what happened during the test, but Shell confirmed two people were killed and another was hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries from the incident.

"In the over forty years that Shell has operated in the deep water Gulf of Mexico we have strived, above all, to ensure our people go home safely to their loved ones. It’s devastating when they do not. We deeply regret this loss of life within our Shell family and community," Babski said.

Babski said there was no negative environmental impact directly from the incident and the platform was stable.

Family members of the victims were notified. Those victims' names are not being released, Shell officials said.

It's the third fatal accident on offshore platform in the Gulf in a month.

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: yotehater] #7953726 08/29/20 01:52 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
These guys got killed doing a lifeboat drill. I wonder if it fell into the water instead of lowering.

Offshore fatalities

NEW ORLEANS — The U.S. Coast Guard has been sent to investigate after two people were killed Sunday morning during a routine test on a Shell oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico, officials said.

According to Shell spokesperson Cindy Babski, crews were running a mandatory test of the lifeboat launch at the Shell Auger Tension Leg Platform, located 214 miles south of New Orleans in the Gulf, at around 9 a.m. when an incident occurred.

Details were not available on what happened during the test, but Shell confirmed two people were killed and another was hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries from the incident.

"In the over forty years that Shell has operated in the deep water Gulf of Mexico we have strived, above all, to ensure our people go home safely to their loved ones. It’s devastating when they do not. We deeply regret this loss of life within our Shell family and community," Babski said.

Babski said there was no negative environmental impact directly from the incident and the platform was stable.

Family members of the victims were notified. Those victims' names are not being released, Shell officials said.

It's the third fatal accident on offshore platform in the Gulf in a month.

Yes Sir, I am familiar with that event and it's not the first time it has happened. I've had a personal discussion with the Lead Safety Man that was on tower when it happened, but I am not at liberty to discuss any further details. Long story short, yes it fell into the water instead of being lowered. It was/is a tragedy.

Re: Oil rigs in the Gulf during hurricane? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7953999 08/29/20 01:54 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
That's what it sounded like happened. I always hated those escape capsule drills. That quick release hook could open up if the wind blew it into the structure or it started spinning wildly. The helicopter survival training was always fun. I'd go over and over when they'd ask for more volunteers to take a dunk in the simulator. It must have been the scuba diver in me, that and wanting to know I absolutely knew how to get out of them in an emergency.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide