Forums46
Topics537,695
Posts9,727,872
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: TCM3] #7951695 08/27/20 11:59 AM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by TCM3
I saw that episode, pretty careless (or plain stupid) to lay a loaded a rifle on a camp chair a small gust of wind could blow over.
I

I agree that it was stupid,I just did not know it was against the law.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7951720 08/27/20 12:36 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by TCM3
I saw that episode, pretty careless (or plain stupid) to lay a loaded a rifle on a camp chair a small gust of wind could blow over.
I

I agree that it was stupid,I just did not know it was against the law.

I am learning all kinda stuff from that show.

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7951744 08/27/20 01:03 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Kinda troubled that not having a round chambered in a non hunting situation is a controversy. Regardless of the law leaning a chambered rifle and or shotgun against anything isn't very bright. Saw the episode and was surprised as to the law but not as to the potential danger. Not talking about pistols but I'd keep my distance from folks leaving chambered guns laying around.

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7951782 08/27/20 01:47 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
NO LOADED GUNS IN VEHICLES, CAMP, or CLIMBING IN \OUT OF YOUR STAND on our lease. NO HUNTING ON YOUR WAY TO THE BLIND EVEN IF IT'S THE BIGGEST DEER YOU EVER SAW! You are not alone on the ranch even if you think you are. There are no such things accidents only careless mistakes that could cost a life. 25 years ago I hunted with a bunch that had no such rules. A green hunter was among the group and made a stupid mistake. He borrowed a rifle had no idea how to load it and was too embarrassed to ask for help on how to unload it. After arriving home he was unloading his vehicle, grabbed the rifle and squeezed the trigger. BOOOOM! He had not only not asked for help unloading it but forgot it was loaded. The end result was horrifying and he has never hunted or held a gun since. I don't care how safe you think you are with a loaded gun, "$HYT" can happen and it happens in a blink.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Biscuit] #7951793 08/27/20 01:56 PM
A
AMF Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted by EastTXbound

Yup. And I'm learning even more by being a member here.

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: SapperTitan] #7951809 08/27/20 02:09 PM
L
LovinLakeLife Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
I stay loaded at all times never know when you may see a hog or coyote

And snakes smile

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: RJH1] #7951837 08/27/20 02:21 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by RJH1
Probably one of his friends called the GW on him for having a loaded gun in camp roflmao

hanged

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: AMF] #7951883 08/27/20 02:52 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Duke107
Originally Posted by EastTXbound

Yup. And I'm learning even more by being a member here.

Being a member here, you will never stop learning. This is a great forum.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7951894 08/27/20 02:57 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I value peace of mind far more than the need to kill an animal. It's why I always wait until I'm in my stand to chamber a round and remove it before climbing out of it.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/27/20 02:58 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Texas Dan] #7951955 08/27/20 03:49 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by freerange
I had a good friend just last year kind of hunt his way back to the truck after a morning hunt with gun loaded. He set the rifle down across the seat and was going to take off his backpack before unloading and the gun went off as he sat it down and shot through the passenger door. It was some type of faulty trigger/safety issue he had to fix. Sure glad it didnt happen in camp.

The majority of hunting-related accidental shootings don't happen in the woods but around vehicles and other places. People tend to be more careful in the woods. It's complacency that doesn't mix well with loaded firearms in other settings.

What he said.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: hook_n_line] #7951967 08/27/20 03:56 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
NO LOADED GUNS IN VEHICLES, CAMP, or CLIMBING IN \OUT OF YOUR STAND on our lease. NO HUNTING ON YOUR WAY TO THE BLIND EVEN IF IT'S THE BIGGEST DEER YOU EVER SAW! You are not alone on the ranch even if you think you are. There are no such things accidents only careless mistakes that could cost a life. 25 years ago I hunted with a bunch that had no such rules. A green hunter was among the group and made a stupid mistake. He borrowed a rifle had no idea how to load it and was too embarrassed to ask for help on how to unload it. After arriving home he was unloading his vehicle, grabbed the rifle and squeezed the trigger. BOOOOM! He had not only not asked for help unloading it but forgot it was loaded. The end result was horrifying and he has never hunted or held a gun since. I don't care how safe you think you are with a loaded gun, "$HYT" can happen and it happens in a blink.

True. It’s a simple solution.... treat unloaded guns as if they are loaded.....we are all taught this from day one....therefore if you follow this simple rule you should never be afraid to be around loaded guns!!!!

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: skinnerback] #7952084 08/27/20 05:23 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
That was my understanding- private land is private. The rule only applies to public land. What exactly is "loaded"? When I was a kid a lot of folks still used lever actions with the chamber empty, they put a round in the chamber while raising the rifle to shoot- didn't lose any time at all. Different kind of hunting.

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7952085 08/27/20 05:23 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
True. It’s a simple solution.... treat unloaded guns as if they are loaded.....we are all taught this from day one....therefore if you follow this simple rule you should never be afraid to be around loaded guns!!!!

Exactly...shouldn't matter where you are....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7952108 08/27/20 05:38 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by hook_n_line

That might work in a perfect world full of rainbows and unicorns.

I feel comfortable saying that 99% or more of those who were killed or injured by their own firearm were fully aware of the need for gun safety.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/27/20 05:41 PM.

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7952120 08/27/20 05:48 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Exactly...shouldn't matter where you are....

Not all were taught from day one. There are many new hunters of all ages that need to be guided so we set rules so they can start somewhere. It's not the same way of life for every family but we try to teach those who accept it.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7952427 08/27/20 11:19 PM
B
Big8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I am a firm believer in gun safety but I also hunt from camp on occasion when the creek is high and I cannot cross to get to my stands, I treat it like any other hunt and would never leave my gun laying around loaded. I also hunt private land so this scenario wouldn’t apply.

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7952481 08/28/20 12:09 AM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
One of the best things is to explain how the safety works- especially to young people. I had this old double barrel s/s 16 gauge and the nose of the sear and the hammer/tumbler notch were so rounded that if you wacked the gun down hard it would fire every time. I peened out the thing and dovetailed a metal slug in the notch and fixed it but such is sich. On a Remington 700, explaIn that playing with the trigger while the safety is on could knock the engagement off (if the area has a lot of dirt and grime.), so the second you take off the safety the gun fires. On a Marlin 336, that cross bolt safety- now that is pretty foolproof.

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Dave Scott] #7952506 08/28/20 12:22 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
One of the best things is to explain how the safety works- especially to young people. I had this old double barrel s/s 16 gauge and the nose of the sear and the hammer/tumbler notch were so rounded that if you wacked the gun down hard it would fire every time. I peened out the thing and dovetailed a metal slug in the notch and fixed it but such is sich. On a Remington 700, explaIn that playing with the trigger while the safety is on could knock the engagement off (if the area has a lot of dirt and grime.), so the second you take off the safety the gun fires. On a Marlin 336, that cross bolt safety- now that is pretty foolproof.

The safety on a lever gun is the worst thing ever invented! I won’t own one.

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7952534 08/28/20 12:41 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Dogs have shot more hunters with "unloaded" guns than you would ever believe.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7952538 08/28/20 12:45 AM
7mmSavage Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I saw the episode and they were on public land. I understand rifles and shotguns but what about LTC pistols?

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: 7mmSavage] #7952851 08/28/20 12:15 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by 7mmSavage
I saw the episode and they were on public land. I understand rifles and shotguns but what about LTC pistols?

That law does not cover LTC.
You can carry provided you are not hitting the sauce.

This law was put in place especially just for guys like the one in the episode. smdh
The issue in a public camp is you really do not know for certain who is there in camp with you or whether someone may show up with young children who may or may not have the foggiest idea of gun safety!

As far as loaded guns go, my rifles stay loaded all the time including one in the chamber. If anyone is riding in the truck, jeep, or my side by side with me than the bolt remains unlocked.
UNLOADED guns kill people accidently all the time! The only accidental discharge I've been around in my nearly 50 years in the brush happened at our house when I was a kid. My dad grabbed his UNLOADED 300 savage mod 99 out of the truck to go put it up and when he came into the washroom from the carport it went off. My dad was one that always preached to unload your guns. That could have been a very, very sad day if my cousin had been standing about 3' further to the left.

I taught my kids from a very, very early age what guns can do and exactly how to handle them. Hell, my son asked me in camp one day when he was 7 years old if he could get his .22mag out of the truck and I told him go ahead. The 5 other men in camp looked at me like I was a nutcase and I told them to just watch. My boy opened the back door to the truck and stepped up on the running board. The rifle was laying on the back seat. He gently grabbed the rifle by the butt stock and rolled it over to expose the bolt as it was laying bolt side down. Once he flipped it over he made sure that bolt was in the up position (unlocked) and them brought it out. 5 grown men looked at me and smiled.

When guests with children com over to our house, those guns are put away where they cannot get to them!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Dave Scott] #7952987 08/28/20 02:25 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
One of the best things is to explain how the safety works- especially to young people. I had this old double barrel s/s 16 gauge and the nose of the sear and the hammer/tumbler notch were so rounded that if you wacked the gun down hard it would fire every time. I peened out the thing and dovetailed a metal slug in the notch and fixed it but such is sich. On a Remington 700, explaIn that playing with the trigger while the safety is on could knock the engagement off (if the area has a lot of dirt and grime.), so the second you take off the safety the gun fires. On a Marlin 336, that cross bolt safety a hammer on halfcock - now that is pretty foolproof.

FIFY up

Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7953260 08/28/20 07:16 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

This law was put in place especially just for guys like the one in the episode. smdh
The issue in a public camp is you really do not know for certain who is there in camp with you or whether someone may show up with young children who may or may not have the foggiest idea of gun safety!

As far as loaded guns go, my rifles stay loaded all the time including one in the chamber. If anyone is riding in the truck, jeep, or my side by side with me than the bolt remains unlocked.
UNLOADED guns kill people accidently all the time! The only accidental discharge I've been around in my nearly 50 years in the brush happened at our house when I was a kid. My dad grabbed his UNLOADED 300 savage mod 99 out of the truck to go put it up and when he came into the washroom from the carport it went off. My dad was one that always preached to unload your guns. That could have been a very, very sad day if my cousin had been standing about 3' further to the left.

I taught my kids from a very, very early age what guns can do and exactly how to handle them. Hell, my son asked me in camp one day when he was 7 years old if he could get his .22mag out of the truck and I told him go ahead. The 5 other men in camp looked at me like I was a nutcase and I told them to just watch. My boy opened the back door to the truck and stepped up on the running board. The rifle was laying on the back seat. He gently grabbed the rifle by the butt stock and rolled it over to expose the bolt as it was laying bolt side down. Once he flipped it over he made sure that bolt was in the up position (unlocked) and them brought it out. 5 grown men looked at me and smiled.

When guests with children com over to our house, those guns are put away where they cannot get to them!

up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7953282 08/28/20 07:33 PM
adkhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

This right here. My 6 yo clears a gun first thing. Respect the tool. No point in having a tool you cannot use. That said, i also respect laws and other people’s property rights. If their policy is no loaded weapons, I’m fine with that and abide.

...unless there is a 3006 sign, they i turn around and don’t patronize them again.

Last edited by adkhunter; 08/28/20 07:35 PM.
Re: When did it become a law...no loaded guns in camp. [Re: Mr. T.] #7953287 08/28/20 07:37 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Safety is akin to security with both requiring multiple layers. Lever guns serve as a good example. My Marlin 336 has two layers of defense. First, it has a push-button safety that keeps the hammer from striking the firing pin. It also has the half-kok position for the hammer that keeps the hammer from resting on the firing pin. Policy is simply the rules the gun own follows when using the firearm, such as waiting until the person is in the stand before chambering a round and removing it before climbing out of the stand.

Still, as the case with anything in your home or office, nothing is 100% safe and secure once humans are added to the mix and every layer of defense and policy is overlooked or ignored.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/28/20 07:45 PM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide