Print Thread
Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been #7949275 08/25/20 12:26 PM
S
Swamp Rabbit Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Lost my lab pup few weeks back. Time to get a new pup for mine and my kids sanities. I want a blood tracker, family dog, shed finder, hunting camp partner, creek swimming buddy, and property runner.
I’ve researched, researched, researched, and decided I’m going with a female tri blue lacy out of Amarillo. I went with the female in hopes that she’s less aggressive to other dogs and people. She should be well socialized at a young age with dogs and people due to the amount of guests we have at our home and dogs encountered at the multiple leases and camps we visit.

Please share thoughts, tips, and experiences with the breed; from hunting and tracking to ranch life and family life.
Thanks and good hunting

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7949292 08/25/20 12:52 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
No experience, but good luck! Hope the pup is part of many lasting memories for you and your family.

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: rickym] #7949618 08/25/20 05:36 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by rickym
No experience, but good luck! Hope the pup is part of many lasting memories for you and your family.

X2

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7949647 08/25/20 06:03 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My female blue lacy kinda has the personality of a chihuahua, she's "on" 110% of the time. Great watch dog, but I get tired of the yapping sometimes. She will not get near, what we call the lab's pool, but she has grown to like getting in the shower to get cleaned up. Very loving and pure poetry in motion to watch run. They don't have much hair, so check for skin conditions; ours has a perpetual hairless spot on her back towards her tail. When out in the field, she'll roam far wider than the lab, so you have to keep your eye on her and be ready to call her back. They can get into trouble quick, chasing after the wrong thing. I tried teaching her to blood trail when she was a pup, but she just didn't seem into it. She's more into being spoiled and patrolling and watching the perimeter.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7950205 08/26/20 03:46 AM
H
HornSlayer Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Man I almost went that direction. Looked at a few, hunted with a couple others and came to the conclusion I didn't need a stock dog. They can be trained to do anything that is for sure, but they must be trained. I decided on a GSP after seeing one track a wounded deer that ran a half a mile before it collapsed. The track was 4 hours old and I didn't think there was anyway on earth that hound would find it. The owner said the dog was also a field trial dog and won a few ribbons. That's a tuff call but if your looking for a hunting companion then I would get a hunting dog. If you have property and need a guardian and ranch hand a GSP or DK are not what your looking for but a Lacy is exactly what you need.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7950357 08/26/20 12:31 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I think they're a perfect ranch dog. I got one that is really laid back, and I actually wish she had more grit.
She'll bark at strangers, but 30 seconds later they're usually petting her.
They're smart, and they like to go. Mine needs to run a couple miles a day to keep her energy levels doable.
They have short hair, but do shed, but that's a dog for ya.
And the reason they're used for blood tracking is bc they can bay. You're typical other breed might get themselves hurt if they run into a live deer.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7950859 08/26/20 06:48 PM
G
gary roberson Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
The Lacy dogs have changed drastically since we first used them on cattle back in the 60's. The Lacys we had back then came from an older gentleman at Willow Springs, too many years and don't recall his name. It was my understanding that he had dogs from the foundation bloodlines. These dogs were bigger, males from 50-60 pounds, they showed more ear and heavier boned. The only color phase that I remember was steel blue with tan markings over eyes, sometimes face and feet and legs. Most had a little white on the chest.
We crossed them with cur dogs, Leopards and Catahoulas as we were not particular about keeping the bloodlines pure. In those days, we used them to catch spoiled brahman cattle that folks could not pen. If a cow broke from the herd, the dogs would get her stopped and were gritty enough to get hold of the ear. After we would let them "chew on her" a while, they would decide that going into the pen was not that bad.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7951031 08/26/20 08:52 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
I have a special place in my heart for Blue Lacy's. I've raised and traded them for nearly 50 years but now I'm down to a retired female and one male. Both neutered. They still get me in on an unwanted hog hunt in the evenings Mule rides if I forget to chain them. It always ends up in the darkest Cedar break at dusk where anything can happen. I can't get in a tree as fast as I used to. Age will do that to you.

In my opinion they are the best all around dog you can have on a ranch. They make good stock dogs, hog dogs, varmint dogs and tracking dogs. I had two that would even retrieve doves for me. They just want to be with you all of the time and do what you are doing. Most of mine were the blues but I have had red's (yellows) as well. I didn't care for the what we called Pumpkins which Gary described above. Nothing against them, I just preferred the solid colored Lacy's. We used to go coon hunting on horseback with several Lacy's. We'd leave at dark and come home at daylight. We covered a lot of country with those dogs and they never lost the desire to hunt. Some can be very aggressive to strangers but that's not always a bad thing. When I would pull up to a ranch house and they had Lacy's, I would wait in the truck until the owner would come out. They meant business and you were on their turf. Other dogs never bothered me but the Lacy's I had respect for.
As they got popular and better known and went to urban owners, a lot of the original Lacy characteristics were bred out or crossed with other breeds. Most of the good true Lacy breeders are gone. Old Glen Lewis out of Llano had some of the best. There may still be some of that original seed stock around in the Gillespie, Blanco, Llano and Mason County area and I'm sure some of that breeding has migrated out to other areas. They are a ranch dog and the more time you spend with them, the better dog they will be. They are hard headed and don't do well with complacent owners. If you are not the alpha male in their pack, you will wish you would never have seen one.

Gary
Was that Willow Spring possibly Willow City? Some of those old breeders were from that area and they had some good dogs.

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7951044 08/26/20 08:59 PM
S
Swamp Rabbit Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Wow. I appreciate all of the great feedback. And the old timer info from the old lacys is awesome to know.

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7951048 08/26/20 09:02 PM
S
Swamp Rabbit Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Anyone remember the name of the guy with the huge blue lacy looking dogs that he uses to blood trail? I think he bred them off of blue lacys and something mixed and they’re huge? People in the ranch hunting community should know who I’m speaking of. I don’t believe he sells his bloodline/breed but they are some impressive looking animals

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7951053 08/26/20 09:05 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Tireless workers. grin Here's Bebe the Wonder Dog, guarding the front door.

[Linked Image]

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Creekrunner] #7951097 08/26/20 09:33 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
She is a spitting image of my retired female. I always liked the blockier built Lacy's. There is another body type which leans more to the greyhound side of their earlier breeding.. Thinner, leaner and pointie nose.

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: gary roberson] #7951102 08/26/20 09:38 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Originally Posted by gary roberson
The Lacy dogs have changed drastically since we first used them on cattle back in the 60's. The Lacys we had back then came from an older gentleman at Willow Springs, too many years and don't recall his name. It was my understanding that he had dogs from the foundation bloodlines. These dogs were bigger, males from 50-60 pounds, they showed more ear and heavier boned. The only color phase that I remember was steel blue with tan markings over eyes, sometimes face and feet and legs. Most had a little white on the chest.
We crossed them with cur dogs, Leopards and Catahoulas as we were not particular about keeping the bloodlines pure. In those days, we used them to catch spoiled brahman cattle that folks could not pen. If a cow broke from the herd, the dogs would get her stopped and were gritty enough to get hold of the ear. After we would let them "chew on her" a while, they would decide that going into the pen was not that bad.
Adios,
Gary

Was that Willow Springs or Willow City?

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7951112 08/26/20 09:43 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Originally Posted by Swamp Rabbit
Anyone remember the name of the guy with the huge blue lacy looking dogs that he uses to blood trail? I think he bred them off of blue lacys and something mixed and they’re huge? People in the ranch hunting community should know who I’m speaking of. I don’t believe he sells his bloodline/breed but they are some impressive looking animals

Little Roy Hinds.

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: oldrancher] #7951139 08/26/20 10:06 PM
S
Swamp Rabbit Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Old rancher, anymore history or backstory on Roy hinds and his dogs?

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7951594 08/27/20 06:29 AM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Originally Posted by Swamp Rabbit
Old rancher, anymore history or backstory on Roy hinds and his dogs?

I found this information on a web forum that I researched. It's from a discussion on the origin of the Hinde's dogs. I cannot verify the validity of the BIL's claim to the origin of the breed's original genetics but it sounds plausible. If I find anything that supports this information below or to the contrary, I'll post it here. BIGGAMEHOUNDSMAN.com was the source of this information.

South Texan » Sun May 20, 2012 11:27 pm

I'm Roy's brother-in-law. He married my sister. Lots of people think that their dogs are blue lacy, but they are not. A woman from San Antonio, Tx. that got the Lacy register going, I think her great grandfather's name was Lacy, went to Roy and wanted them to register their dogs under the Lacy breed but they wouldn't do it because there wasn't any Lacy blood in them, all they(Roy's dogs) had was the slate blue color that is common with the Lacy's.

by South Texan » Mon May 21, 2012 12:43 am

Roy's dad started them back in the 30's. It started off with a leopard cow dog, they were used to work cattle there on the home ranch. Then they got to crossing'em up, I can remember him (Roy's dad) telling me at one time he made a cross to a black & tan hound because he wanted more nose on'em. As they went to making crosses they always kept the pups that had the slate blue color and crossing back on them, till finally that was the dominate color. Blue with the tan markings above eyes and on the legs(tan markings probably going back to the Black & Tan).
They (Roy and his Dad) always called them the Hindes' Blue Dogs.

These dogs probably on average will weigh 65 to 75 pounds. I know a few years ago
Roy had one weighed at the vet's office and he weighed 87 pounds (out of shape). Your true blue lacy dogs are not that big. Hope that helps. Robbie

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: oldrancher] #7951784 08/27/20 01:48 PM
G
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by oldrancher
Originally Posted by gary roberson
Adios,
Gary

Was that Willow Springs or Willow City?

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7951788 08/27/20 01:52 PM
G
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
I think you're right, Willow City.
I knew Roy Hindes, now deceased and we visited about the breeding on his dogs. I don't remember him saying that there was any Lacy blood in them but about everything else. My brother had one of these Hinds dogs back in the 70's and that dog weighed over 90 pounds. We did catch a lot of crippled deer with him.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Creekrunner] #7951920 08/27/20 03:17 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
My female blue lacy kinda has the personality of a chihuahua, she's "on" 110% of the time. Great watch dog, but I get tired of the yapping sometimes. She will not get near, what we call the lab's pool, but she has grown to like getting in the shower to get cleaned up. Very loving and pure poetry in motion to watch run. They don't have much hair, so check for skin conditions; ours has a perpetual hairless spot on her back towards her tail. When out in the field, she'll roam far wider than the lab, so you have to keep your eye on her and be ready to call her back. They can get into trouble quick, chasing after the wrong thing. I tried teaching her to blood trail when she was a pup, but she just didn't seem into it. She's more into being spoiled and patrolling and watching the perimeter.

You need to get your pup to the vet. She has a thyroid issue causing the hair loss and she is likely to be losing weight. You’ll be amazed how quickly the hair grows in once she’s taking her doggy thyroxin.

Our lacy had the same thing going on.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7953879 08/29/20 09:49 AM
S
Swamp Rabbit Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks for all the history Gary and Old Rancher.

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Creekrunner] #7953966 08/29/20 01:16 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Tireless workers. grin Here's Bebe the Wonder Dog, guarding the front door.

[Linked Image]

Pretty

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7954051 08/29/20 02:52 PM
D
Deer Hound Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I have 3 blue Lacey and they are great ranch dogs. About 2 years ago I bought a Jagdterrie and he is it. If anything he has a bit to much grit but I use him for everything from working cattle to catching hogs to trailing wounded animals at the ranch. I could tell you about him tracking a Wildebeest and then baying him last year but you wouldn't believe it if you hadn't been there. I love my Lacys but Bear (Jagdterrie) is one bad A// dog. When I come in at night he goes right to my recliner and lays behind it till bed time unless you call him to play. I fly all over the country he will walk on the plane get under the seat where my feet are and never move till I get up to walk off the plane. No telling how many people have seen him stand up to leave and say they had no idea he was even there. He weighs about 22 pounds and I don't think you could hurt him if you tried. He will sit in the deer blind with customers and myself and wont say a word. If a deer goes out of sight once we have shot I drop him out while we are getting down and out and he will usually be sitting on or by the deer by the time we walk to him by the GPS collar. Last year he trailed a Black buck over half a mile and held it bayed till we got to them about 30 minutes later to finish the job. Very rare that he not with me if I'm awake and even then he sleeps under my bed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Deer Hound] #7956075 08/31/20 11:43 AM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted by Deer Hound
I have 3 blue Lacey and they are great ranch dogs. About 2 years ago I bought a Jagdterrie and he is it. If anything he has a bit to much grit but I use him for everything from working cattle to catching hogs to trailing wounded animals at the ranch. I could tell you about him tracking a Wildebeest and then baying him last year but you wouldn't believe it if you hadn't been there. I love my Lacys but Bear (Jagdterrie) is one bad A// dog. When I come in at night he goes right to my recliner and lays behind it till bed time unless you call him to play. I fly all over the country he will walk on the plane get under the seat where my feet are and never move till I get up to walk off the plane. No telling how many people have seen him stand up to leave and say they had no idea he was even there. He weighs about 22 pounds and I don't think you could hurt him if you tried. He will sit in the deer blind with customers and myself and wont say a word. If a deer goes out of sight once we have shot I drop him out while we are getting down and out and he will usually be sitting on or by the deer by the time we walk to him by the GPS collar. Last year he trailed a Black buck over half a mile and held it bayed till we got to them about 30 minutes later to finish the job. Very rare that he not with me if I'm awake and even then he sleeps under my bed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
@Deer Hunter any breeder info you can pass on? I opened this thread because I am interested in Lacy's but you have piqued my interest

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7956138 08/31/20 12:43 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Here's the registry I use. I personality prefer it.
The Texas lacy game dog association isn't as strict as the LDBA on keeping lineages pure and the pups going to working homes.

http://lacydogbreeders.com/frequently-asked-questions/

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Blue lacy dog owners; tell me how it’s been [Re: Swamp Rabbit] #7956964 08/31/20 09:42 PM
A
AeroAggie Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
We have tri-colored Blue Lacy. This is the State Dog Breed of Texas for those that don't know it. Our Lacy is a little over 13 years old and primarily a house dog/pet, with occasional trips to the ranch. She is not fond of the water (doesn't like to get in the lake or swim), nor gunshots (probably because she wasn't really exposed to them until later in her life). She doesn't like the cows either and constantly is barking/chasing them at the ranch. We have never used her to track/trail anything. However, she has been a great pet. Fun, friendly, and probably the most agile dog I've ever seen. She has short hair and doesn't shed. Someone else posted about their endless amount of energy. That is true - ours will just play with a tennis ball or something else in the backyard for hours, flipping it up with her nose, grabbing it, and running around in circles and figure eights. She is also very protective and not very social with many other dogs (she likes to the the top dog). But at over 13 years old, ours spends more time like the picture of Bebe - just laying around. Ours is about 40 pounds, but thinks she is a lapdog. Bottom Line: If I ever get another dog, I'd get another Blue Lacy.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide