Page 1 of 2 1 2
When will they return? #7948459 08/24/20 06:57 PM
C
Clay Shipe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
We have a hog problem and cattle on this lease. So I decided to get ahead of them and put a pen up around a month old feeder. Deer were coming to this feeder literally 45 min after I set it up last month. The numbers of deer seemed to build and build including a few nice bucks. Since the blind and pen went up I haven't seen a single deer. Went from every single morning and every single evening to nothing. Not even one outside the pen. I set up both on the same day. I've seen scenarios where the deer don't seem to even notice and are there the same night after a pen and blind is put up so I'm making sure I didn't do anything wrong here. I felt I was pretty set for bow season but now I'm not so sure. Thinking I should have just left it alone, but the blind would have gone up regardless and I was worried about the cattle and hogs tearing up the feeder.

Pen is roughly 30' in diameter and 30" tall. Blind is roughly 35 yards from feeder perched on a hill. Poured a 50# bag of corn in the pen after I set it up and the feeder is on 10 sec sprays, one AM and one PM.

[Linked Image]

Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948491 08/24/20 07:21 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Be patient grasshopper, be patient.

Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948505 08/24/20 07:28 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Give it some time but IME when there is thick brush right up to the edges of the pen and around the pen it takes deer a bit longer than normal. For some reason like to circle the new pen or walk along the fence before jumping in on newer pens. Takes them a while to find a spot they like and feel safe jumping over the fence. Are there any mesquite beans right now or other mast crops?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948506 08/24/20 07:30 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
it's a nice setup...they will come

Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948539 08/24/20 07:47 PM
N
NOCOOLNAMETOO Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
I would cut two two lanes coming off your side windows and open up a spot past the feeder on both sides and trim about 6' around pen. Nice set up !

Re: When will they return? [Re: stxranchman] #7948543 08/24/20 07:49 PM
C
Clay Shipe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Give it some time but IME when there is thick brush right up to the edges of the pen and around the pen it takes deer a bit longer than normal. For some reason like to circle the new pen or walk along the fence before jumping in on newer pens. Takes them a while to find a spot they like and feel safe jumping over the fence. Are there any mesquite beans right now or other mast crops?

I figured id give it time but it was just strange that the amount of deer I was seeing now is at zero. There are about 7 game trails leading straight to this feeder from all directions, pretty much a major intersection, thats why i chose the spot. No beans, We have wheat fields about 1/4 mile from the lease but I dont think they have been operational this year. I wanted to clear the brush but i had already cleared so much i left it alone.

Re: When will they return? [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7948551 08/24/20 07:56 PM
C
Clay Shipe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by NOCOOLNAMETOO
I would cut two two lanes coming off your side windows and open up a spot past the feeder on both sides and trim about 6' around pen. Nice set up !

the right window faces one of our ponds on the lease and has a fair shooting lane but is out of range for bow hunts, about 80-100 yards. The left window faces a few game trails coming from bedding areas that could def use a bit more trimming. Ive got it cleared enough that i can see one coming. Theres only so much you can do in Throckmorton when its 104 outside grin

Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948572 08/24/20 08:09 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I agree with stxranchman, might want to clear some of that mesquite out around it and make it bigger........too small for my liking and mature bucks FME.........at least 10 16 ft. panels.......

Is this a bow stand? The reason I ask is it seems very close distance wise to the feeder.........if so IMO you are very limited for you shot opportunities for a bow......

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948577 08/24/20 08:10 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
How tall are the panels? I have lazy deer around our place we had to cut a few short spots into the pen.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948592 08/24/20 08:14 PM
N
NOCOOLNAMETOO Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted by Clay Shipe

the right window faces one of our ponds on the lease and has a fair shooting lane but is out of range for bow hunts, about 80-100 yards. The left window faces a few game trails coming from bedding areas that could def use a bit more trimming. Ive got it cleared enough that i can see one coming. Theres only so much you can do in Throckmorton when its 104 outside grin

Yes sir I hear you good looking area you got there.

Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948598 08/24/20 08:17 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
They'll be back. Give em a little time to get used to it.

Very nice set up and pretty spot.

I'm guessing this a bow hunting set up being the stand is this close to the feeder?

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: When will they return? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7948608 08/24/20 08:22 PM
C
Clay Shipe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I agree with stxranchman, might want to clear some of that mesquite out around it and make it bigger........too small for my liking and mature bucks FME.........at least 10 16 ft. panels.......

Is this a bow stand? The reason I ask is it seems very close distance wise to the feeder.........if so IMO you are very limited for you shot opportunities for a bow......

You cant tell from the pic but you can basically walk all the way around the pen with no obstruction until you get to the brush on the right where the camera is, its not a 6 foot clearing though. Also there are trail openings in between each bush. Thats the only reason i didnt clear them, plus its was hot as balls out there and i was tired. Yes its a bow stand, roughly 35 yards from the feeder. How am i limited on shot opportunity?

Re: When will they return? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7948617 08/24/20 08:25 PM
C
Clay Shipe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
They'll be back. Give em a little time to get used to it.

Very nice set up and pretty spot.

I'm guessing this a bow hunting set up being the stand is this close to the feeder?

Thanks, yes bow hunts from this blind. Plus a chance for the kids to hit something.

Re: When will they return? [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7948619 08/24/20 08:26 PM
C
Clay Shipe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C

Yes sir I hear you good looking area you got there.

Thank you sir.

Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948629 08/24/20 08:31 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

You cant tell from the pic but you can basically walk all the way around the pen with no obstruction until you get to the brush on the right where the camera is, its not a 6 foot clearing though. Also there are trail openings in between each bush. Thats the only reason i didnt clear them, plus its was hot as balls out there and i was tired. Yes its a bow stand, roughly 35 yards from the feeder. How am i limited on shot opportunity?

I know pic angles are deceiving, but looking at the set I would expect the deer to jump in on the furthest side away from the blind, and walk back and forth on that side before the jump in.......looks like your pen will be blocking the kill zone......I understand it could be just the angle I'm seeing from the pic.....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948642 08/24/20 08:36 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Deer have poor depth perception.

Re: When will they return? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7948643 08/24/20 08:37 PM
C
Clay Shipe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C

I know pic angles are deceiving, but looking at the set I would expect the deer to jump in on the furthest side away from the blind, and walk back and forth on that side before the jump in.......looks like your pen will be blocking the kill zone......I understand it could be just the angle I'm seeing from the pic.....

Oh for sure. The pen does block a little bit of it close to the blind but not a whole lot and I have plans to cut the top 2 sections off to open that up a bit. I had originally wanted a 10 foot platform for this blind but decided I would run this first year on this lease with a ground set up. The 10 foot platform would make it perfect.

Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948648 08/24/20 08:41 PM
J
jhunter77 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I'd cut down a couple spots to more like 24 to 28 inches high. Deer are coming to the feeder because they're hungry not to exercise. I've seen deer walk all the past a feeder pen because they just didn't feel comfortable jumping in the cattle panels, also deer looking for easy means of escape from trouble. In my opinion.

But they will come back.

Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948652 08/24/20 08:43 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Belief mine, do not, I repeat do not, go lower than the 30 inches you have in place.

Re: When will they return? [Re: jhunter77] #7948654 08/24/20 08:43 PM
C
Clay Shipe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by jhunter77
I'd cut down a couple spots to more like 24 to 28 inches high. Deer are coming to the feeder because they're hungry not to exercise. I've seen deer walk all the past a feeder pen because they just didn't feel comfortable jumping in the cattle panels, also deer looking for easy means of escape from trouble. In my opinion.

But they will come back.

Thanks, yea thats on the list.

Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948656 08/24/20 08:44 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I would have made a rectangular pen with it extending up to the base of the little rise the blind is setting on. That way no cattle could get between the blind and the feeder pen. It would have allowed you to feed the deer even closer in for shots also. Give the deer more room to jump into the pen and then move around. Dominant does or bucks with keep most the other deer out of the pen during the rut or feeding times.

Re: When will they return? [Re: stxranchman] #7948676 08/24/20 08:57 PM
C
Clay Shipe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I would have made a rectangular pen with it extending up to the base of the little rise the blind is setting on. That way no cattle could get between the blind and the feeder pen. It would have allowed you to feed the deer even closer in for shots also. Give the deer more room to jump into the pen and then move around. Dominant does or bucks with keep most the other deer out of the pen during the rut or feeding times.

Awe man, now you got me second guessing things lol

Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948687 08/24/20 09:05 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Looks good but a lot of brush and cactus around that pen, see a few clearer spots. The feeder looks like it could be moved over a few feet to more center it in the pen. Besides that, I think it's just more time needed..

Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948694 08/24/20 09:16 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The main thing to remember is...do NOT give yourself heat stroke over a frickin' deer! Things can be improved little by little, over time.

Ever read "Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance"? I'm no Buddhist, but that's how I approach feeder/blind set ups. grin

This is supposed to be fun! Kuddos to you for putting the blind close enough for a kid to shoot something. I try to have one or two places like that. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: When will they return? [Re: Clay Shipe] #7948699 08/24/20 09:18 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Use Indian corn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide