Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Road Feeder Questions #7935337 08/14/20 04:21 PM
Wburke2010 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
We picked up a new hd8 can am, And I am looking to add a road feeder to it but have a few questions for the guys that run them

Mount it to the front or back?
How long does it take to throw a 50lb bag of corn? I don't have a lot of area to use it in but don't want it to be too small right out the gate.

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7935347 08/14/20 04:27 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I prefer throwing off the front. Easier to see that is throwing and not having to turn my head/neck as much. Plus don't have to move/unhitch the unit as often to get in bed or reach over unit to access bed. How much/fast it throw depends on how open the gap gate is and how long I hold the throttle "on" on the remote. If just corning into and around 1 or 2 blind sets 50# is sufficient.

STXranchman should be along with more precise info as he corns everyday into his locations

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7935469 08/14/20 05:27 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I like the front, it doesnt matter at the end of the day. 50# a day for me... corn two blinds in the morning and two in the after noon. I dont like the bigger feeders because they are heavy and if you are in rough country the bounce and break chit.....

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7935602 08/14/20 06:57 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by wburke2010
We picked up a new hd8 can am, And I am looking to add a road feeder to it but have a few questions for the guys that run them

How long does it take to throw a 50lb bag of corn? I don't have a lot of area to use it in but don't want it to be too small right out the gate.

Rear, technically you are blowing corn dust into your radiator.

I use a 100lb on my mule and really just depends on how heavy handed you are

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7935634 08/14/20 07:09 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Rear for me as well, I have a 100lb also. Like Bobo said, front you're blowing corn dust into your radiator and in your eyes. You're also not running over your corn, not that it matters much.

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7935775 08/14/20 08:29 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by wburke2010

Rear, technically you are blowing corn dust into your radiator.

I use a 100lb on my mule and really just depends on how heavy handed you are

This^^^^^ Poorly cleaned corn will be full of dust and bee's wings that will clog a radiator. I have always put my roadfeeders on the rear of my truck or UTV's. You can adjust the gap for feeding to make the 50# last a bit longer. But ground speed can also do the same. I feed a lot at my blinds, so I use a smaller gap on my homemade feeder for noise and spreading over as large an area as I can. I can feed 50 lbs at one blind in a morning and evening hunt + hand feed 30 lbs more in late season when numbers are extremely high at the blind.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: skinnerback] #7935785 08/14/20 08:33 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Rear for me as well, I have a 100lb also. Like Bobo said, front you're blowing corn dust into your radiator and in your eyes. You're also not running over your corn, not that it matters much.

If it is really muddy and wet it makes a huge difference here. #@%!ing hogs(when they move in) will root up any corn you drive over and mash into the ground here. That makes the roads and areas around the feeder hard to drive over. Don't ask me how I learned this roflmao

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: stxranchman] #7935833 08/14/20 09:06 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by stxranchman

If it is really muddy and wet it makes a huge difference here. #@%!ing hogs(when they move in) will root up any corn you drive over and mash into the ground here. That makes the roads and areas around the feeder hard to drive over. Don't ask me how I learned this roflmao

Wait, I thought you LOVED hogs.
grin

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: skinnerback] #7935900 08/14/20 09:59 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Wait, I thought you LOVED hogs.
grin

Right above my love for elk and aoudads taz

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7936286 08/15/20 02:48 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I utilize a 50 pound Lamco on rear of truck and never would consider a front mount. Have a friend put flour in your feeder just once and you'll understand why.

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Hudbone] #7936386 08/15/20 05:28 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Hudbone
I utilize a 50 pound Lamco on rear of truck and never would consider a front mount. Have a friend put flour in your feeder just once and you'll understand why.

roflmao clap

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7936756 08/15/20 04:33 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Ok so seems plenty on here corn roads or blind areas. Tell me about the timing of this Corning. Do you do that right before you sit, or do it a couple hours before?

For someone that hasn’t been doing this a while would you recommend waiting until after season to start Corning or do you just start with your first sit of the year and the deer just get used to the noise?

Logistics of this are what I am wondering

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7936797 08/15/20 05:05 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
We are starting to feed roads starting right now and will every time until deer season starts. Likely do it only twice during a weekend. When season starts, we will corn when during in to blind each morning and each afternoon. Beginning of season will feed out rather far. Three weeks or so into it and We will choke that down to 200 and then 150 yards.

If you have anything with a tailgate, don't short yourself. Just go ahead and buy a Lamco low profile now. The last thing you want to do is have take off your feeder every time you want open your tailgate.

100 pounders cost just a little extra, but are obviously bigger and they get in the way. I utilize a 50 pounder and always have an extra sack or two in the bed.

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7936870 08/15/20 05:52 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
When I managed ranches I started corning in August every year and then twice per day just about everyday. I would corn a little at every blind in the evenings and then most mornings I could. During the work day if I drove by a blind(s) I would corn those at that time so I did not have to go back by that evening. Now on my own place I started corning back in July mainly during the evenings. Last week I started corning in the mornings before daylight(same time I will in hunting season heading to the blinds) and then again in the evenings. I will also corn extra by hand around my bowblinds during the evenings. In bow season I will corn early enough in the morning to give me 30 minutes before daylight. In rifle season I corn about 15 minutes before daylight. By rifle season the deer are so used to the sound of the road feeder they can be on the corn before I climb up the ladder at times. I know that I am drawing deer in easily from 300-600 yards away at times by the sound of the Ranger and road feeder. I still will corn blinds after dark in the evenings on the route I take back to the house if all the corn is gone. When I am targeting a specific buck I will only corn the blind where the wind will be good that day or several days in a row. That will pull deer from the other spin feeders after the finish off the corn at those locations. I put out enough corn to hold the deer for an hour or more each time I hunt. In late season I have fed the roads with as much as 40#/sit and then what the spin feeders feed. During that hunt the deer will eat every bit of the corn. I like to feed after I get out of a blind and deer might see me or spook away...that way they do not run as far knowing more corn is on the ground. If you corn everytime you go the lease during the off season the deer will start to learn to check when they hear a vehicle drive by(in cooler temps). Even in the heat of the summer months the deer hear the road feeder and will still come to eat a little corn when it cools off later. Bad thing is if you have a lot of hogs and they learn your routine. The beauty of training deer to a road feeder is that you can move them around your blind with the sound....that way you can hunt the same blind no matter what the wind is doing.
They make low profile 100# road feeders. Mine is a homemade 75# capacity. I do have an issue loading a deer up and over the side of my Ranger by myself nowadays. Years ago it was not an issue. One ranch I managed we had rear carrying racks that were quick on and quick off. We stored them on top of the mule roof. We could load 1-4 deer on one depending on size. The receiver hitch for the road feeder had been altered to handle the aluminum carrier. This was the land owners mule that he did not want to take the rack on and off, so he made a metal guard to funnel the corn in the middle. The mule I hunted out of had the same setup, but I stored my rack on the roof. Two large wingnuts with rubber washers kept it secure and quiet on top of the mule roof. It took about 2 minutes to remove it/put on and about the same to remove/store it back on top.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7937000 08/15/20 07:40 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I like to corn any time I drive through the hunting areas, year round. Same thing with the hog traps, I feed them every time I go to the ranch.

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7939492 08/17/20 06:34 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I have always run a road feeder off the rear of my truck and my Kubota RTV. I recently bought a GreenGo 100# road feeder that I was planning on leaving on my RTV full time, bought an adapter for the front 1-1/4" receiver hitch to adapt the 2" road feeder up front so it is not in the way of my hydraulic bed ... I also have a full front windshield but will see how much dust I get into the cab the first time I use it, as it might get moved to the back.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7942814 08/19/20 11:24 PM
K
KWAKZ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
this is my feeder setup on my Defender, works great and no corn dust inside the cab [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7945111 08/21/20 06:45 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
There's more dust swirling around that windshield and into the cab than I think you realize.

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7947829 08/24/20 04:32 AM
C
ccrock Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Rear feeder mount and I feed year round. I have a 100# feeder and I am heavy handed during season. I have one set up that I will throw 100# each hunt. The most deer I saw at one time last year was 28. I can be filling my feeder and deer will walk up to the sxs. It is the craziest thing.

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7949391 08/25/20 02:15 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I mount mine in the rear, don't like to drive over my corn.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7951028 08/26/20 08:51 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We used a fertilizer spreader.

[Linked Image]

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: dogcatcher] #7951181 08/26/20 10:39 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
The way Stx described the frequency and amount of corn he road feeds would be great but for some folks it would be a considerable investment in corn. Most of the guys I know do not feed that much. Once again, I think it would be good, but lots of money. I corn a little preseason but not much. They get used to it pretty quick. I always corn right before the hunt and will put out more at that time if an evening hunt is planned same spot. Any time driving if I spook deer I like to throw em a little corn just so they associate the vehicle and noise and corn. I thought most mounted them on the front but it doesnt appear so. It can help clog a radiator but I have that issue anyway going through the pasture and have to keep it cleaned out. I have way too much going on at the back of my hunting truck to have the feeder in the way. My hunting truck doubles as a lease work truck for big property so lots to load and unload and trailers to pull etc.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: freerange] #7951394 08/27/20 01:21 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange
The way Stx described the frequency and amount of corn he road feeds would be great but for some folks it would be a considerable investment in corn. Most of the guys I know do not feed that much. Once again, I think it would be good, but lots of money. I corn a little preseason but not much. They get used to it pretty quick. I always corn right before the hunt and will put out more at that time if an evening hunt is planned same spot. Any time driving if I spook deer I like to throw em a little corn just so they associate the vehicle and noise and corn. I thought most mounted them on the front but it doesnt appear so. It can help clog a radiator but I have that issue anyway going through the pasture and have to keep it cleaned out. I have way too much going on at the back of my hunting truck to have the feeder in the way. My hunting truck doubles as a lease work truck for big property so lots to load and unload and trailers to pull etc.

Amateurs... paved it Gold!!!

Corn futures are worse then oil!!! Spin it, spread it, pour it, he who feeds the most wins

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Wburke2010] #7951672 08/27/20 11:27 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
heck, I start feeding now, every time I go down. Early in the season, I will use somewhere between 25 and 50 pounds per hunt spread down four senderos. A couple of weeks in, I neck that down to somewhere about 25 and can typically feed out two places with one 50 pound feeder.

My road feeder is set to disburse corn more sparingly than some others. I don't like roads of gold, because I don't want an animal sitting in one spot and not moving. I'll take my chances on which way they travel (at me or away from), but I do want them moving.

Re: Road Feeder Questions [Re: Hudbone] #7951987 08/27/20 04:12 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Same here. I feed a lot, but I feed lite.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide