Print Thread
I know,I know....BCA #7939623 08/17/20 07:51 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
So, I acquired a Bear Creek Arsenal.450 Bushmaster upper. I knew better but I did it anyway. There, I got that out of the way, so please don’t rub it in.

If you’ve even only heard of BCA, you know they’re cheap, which is why I couldn’t resisit and I’m going to pay for it in the end. I bought it knowing that accuracy wasn’t going to be great or even good, but that’s not a problem. It’s surprisingly more accurate than I expected. However, I can’t hardly get it to cycle a 5 round magazine and I can’t get it to lock back on a empty mag at all. At first, I thought it was undergassed, but now I’m not so sure. It is throwing brass at about 2 o’clock. But I think it’s hitting the back of the ejection port (side charging) and throwing it forward. My brother in law took a slow mo video and it appears to be slamming the bolt open pretty hard, which makes me think it’s over gassed at this point. I have used both an H2 and H3 buffer with no change. I just ordered a heavier spring from Sprinco, but now I’m just throwing parts at it.

Other than telling me not to buy junk, does anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited by jrfan; 08/17/20 07:52 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: jrfan] #7939630 08/17/20 07:55 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by jrfan

.....does anyone have any thoughts?

Trot line weight.... confused2

Just trying to be constructive.... cheers

Seriously, don’t have a clue as to help ya out but couldn’t resist......good luck with it!

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: jrfan] #7939679 08/17/20 08:21 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J

[Linked Image]
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: jrfan] #7939753 08/17/20 08:51 PM
P
PonchoMike Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I have a BCA .450 12-inch upper on my AR pistol.
I’ve not had a problem with it in about 40 rounds.
Pretty accurate as well. I was surprised.

Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: PonchoMike] #7939786 08/17/20 09:09 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by PonchoMike
I have a BCA .450 12-inch upper on my AR pistol.
I’ve not had a problem with it in about 40 rounds.
Pretty accurate as well. I was surprised.

This is a 16", carbine length. What buffer/spring are you using?

[Linked Image]
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: jrfan] #7939806 08/17/20 09:22 PM
P
Pig_Popper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Adjustable gas block ?

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: Pig_Popper] #7939809 08/17/20 09:24 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
Adjustable gas block ?

^^^^^^^

That’s the direction I would go.

Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: jrfan] #7939810 08/17/20 09:24 PM
P
Pig_Popper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Try a different bolt carrier ? , is the bolt catch and magazine operating with firm and positive force - sometimes the mag followers don’t engage the bolt catch too well and it seems like it isn’t locking back but it’s a mag problem....

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: Pig_Popper] #7939876 08/17/20 09:57 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
Adjustable gas block ?

If the new spring doesn’t work, that will be my next purchase.

Try a different bolt carrier ? , is the bolt catch and magazine operating with firm and positive force - sometimes the mag followers don’t engage the bolt catch too well and it seems like it isn’t locking back but it’s a mag problem....

I’ve tried 3 different magazines. One is a duramag, one is a AR Stoner (Midway brand) and one is a Lancer 5.56 mag that has been modified with a Tromix spring and single stack follower. All pretty much have the same result. Being a side charging, I don’t have another carrier, and being a .450, I don’t have another bolt.

Last edited by jrfan; 08/17/20 09:59 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: Adchunts] #7939882 08/17/20 10:02 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Adchunts
Adjustable gas block ?

^^^^^^^

I go there before messing with buffer springs.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: jrfan] #7941196 08/18/20 10:44 PM
M
mike55070 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Had basically the same issue used a 30 round AR mag D&H with one of the followers that you made for a single stack I forgot the brand or where I bought them but you can put 10 or 12 rounds in it and it runs great and even though it is a bear Creek it shoots as good as I can hold it
Polymer mags wont work

Last edited by mike55070; 08/18/20 10:46 PM.
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: jrfan] #7941588 08/19/20 02:55 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Bear Creek has a great warranty, maybe send it back to them. My BCA Grendel has never failed to function or provide good accuracy. I did install a rifle buffer and spring.

Last edited by rickt300; 08/19/20 02:57 AM.
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: rickt300] #7942099 08/19/20 03:49 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rickt300
Bear Creek has a great warranty, maybe send it back to them. My BCA Grendel has never failed to function or provide good accuracy. I did install a rifle buffer and spring.

I thought about this, and I may have to. I was just trying to keep from pulling the scope off and going through the whole process. I have the new spring coming this week and I may throw another gas block on it just for giggles.

[Linked Image]
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: jrfan] #7942576 08/19/20 08:54 PM
N
nesikabay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
So, I acquired a Bear Creek Arsenal.450 Bushmaster upper. I knew better but I did it anyway. There, I got that out of the way, so please don’t rub it in.

If you’ve even only heard of BCA, you know they’re cheap, which is why I couldn’t resisit and I’m going to pay for it in the end. I bought it knowing that accuracy wasn’t going to be great or even good, but that’s not a problem. It’s surprisingly more accurate than I expected. However, I can’t hardly get it to cycle a 5 round magazine and I can’t get it to lock back on a empty mag at all. At first, I thought it was undergassed, but now I’m not so sure. It is throwing brass at about 2 o’clock. But I think it’s hitting the back of the ejection port (side charging) and throwing it forward. My brother in law took a slow mo video and it appears to be slamming the bolt open pretty hard, which makes me think it’s over gassed at this point. I have used both an H2 and H3 buffer with no change. I just ordered a heavier spring from Sprinco, but now I’m just throwing parts at it.

First thought is your stupid. Got that out of the way. second thought is your really stupid and have reason to own a gun as stupid as you are. Other than than that your the poster chiled for ANTIFA

Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: nesikabay] #7942598 08/19/20 09:05 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by nesikabay

First thought is your stupid. Got that out of the way. second thought is your really stupid and have reason to own a gun as stupid as you are. Other than than that your the poster chiled for ANTIFA

I really hope you are joking with this. Either way, would love to take that rifle and shove it so far up your [censored] you can taste gunpowder.

[Linked Image]
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: jrfan] #7942826 08/19/20 11:29 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
^^ that was uh..... interesting

OP, have you messed with the gas block that is on it at all? Might be misaligned.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: nesikabay] #7942846 08/19/20 11:40 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

So, what is a chiled?

Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: nesikabay] #7942858 08/19/20 11:51 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

First thought is you’re stupid. Got that out of the way. second thought is you’re really stupid and have reason to own a gun as stupid as you are. (Is that even English??)Other than than that you’re the poster chiled (WHAT??) for ANTIFA

roflmao FIFY

Last edited by Tactical Cowboy; 08/19/20 11:57 PM.

Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: Adchunts] #7943440 08/20/20 01:58 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Adchunts
Adjustable gas block ?

^^^^^^^

Ditto. I have three ARs equipped with BCA barrels and with the right load and a good rest they will shoot MOA or under at 100 yards with good ammo.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: nesikabay] #7943808 08/20/20 06:36 PM
T
TSU99 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

Someone needs a time out...

Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: jrfan] #7944197 08/20/20 11:11 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I have noticed some preety fugged up comments lately on several forums lately. Odd.

Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: jrfan] #7946711 08/23/20 03:32 AM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
So, as suggested, I put an adjustable gas block on. I started with it almost closed. Wouldn’t even pull the spent shell out of the chamber. Worked on it until it was wide open. Was barely extracting a spent casing. I just happened to measure the gas port and it was close to .072”. After some research, I determined it wasn’t near big enough. Drilled it out to 5/64” and that didn’t work either. Drilled it out again at 3/32” and now it purrs like a kitten. Went through 3 different mags without any failures. All the brass was in a nice pile between 3 and 4 o’clock. In my research, I found that this is a VERY common problem with BCA. We’ll see how it lasts. For now I’m happy but, lesson learned.

[Linked Image]
Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: jrfan] #7947156 08/23/20 06:23 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
up

Re: I know,I know....BCA [Re: jrfan] #7947258 08/23/20 08:18 PM
C
casterbuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I had similar issues with a AR Stoner pistol build in the same caliber i drilled the gas port to .109 and now it functions 100%

Seek first to understand... before trying to be understood
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide