Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Can You Scare Pigs Off? #7942345 08/19/20 06:37 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
A buddy and I got to talking about ways to deal with pigs at his lease.

Shooting them all year doesn’t seem to do anything anymore.

He kind of jokingly said he was going to make a big bait pile and put a tannerite jug there too and when a big group shows up, pop the tannerite.

The more we talked about it the more I wondered if that would work. If pigs are smart as they say can you traumatize them enough to where they will steer clear of an area?

Besides legality, which I cant find a definite answer that it is not legal, it almost seems like this could work, just wondering if anyone has tried this or if you do know the legality of it.

Im not talking about adding any type of shrapnel just tannerite

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942348 08/19/20 06:40 PM
T
TiggerV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
If it is legal.....

Please Please PLEASE video it for us all

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942351 08/19/20 06:42 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I know people don't like hogs but that's a little on the cruel side. I saw Lone Star Law and some guys got in trouble for pulling a boar's teeth out. Of course they used a hammer.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942357 08/19/20 06:46 PM
M
MWTX270 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
M
There use to be huge peanut fields, in the area I live. The deer would do unbelievable damage to them. The game wardens fixed some "blasters" in a parameter around the fields, worked about a week then the deer would just ignore them. They did a depredation kill, at night and deer were so use the the bang bombs, they just stood there, as they were shot. ( 160 in 3 nights)So I seriously doubt it would work much better on the pigs.

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942362 08/19/20 06:48 PM
G
glb1955 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
There are videos out there. Pretty cool to see pigs and pig parts flying all over the place. Big bang!!

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942373 08/19/20 06:57 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Definitely will video tape

I saw that Lone Star Law as well and was the reason why i looked up if it was legal.

i understand seeing it as cruel and maybe its just me but if you have ever trapped a whole bunch of sows and piglets, it gets really messed up killing them in that trap.

I get you about the deer not caring but intelligence wise aren't pigs, wild and farm, supposed to be one of the smartest animals out there? thats the reason why i was thinking it would work for the pigs more then other animals out there

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: MWTX270] #7942375 08/19/20 06:57 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by MWTX270
There use to be huge peanut fields, in the area I live. The deer would do unbelievable damage to them. The game wardens fixed some "blasters" in a parameter around the fields, worked about a week then the deer would just ignore them. They did a depredation kill, at night and deer were so use the the bang bombs, they just stood there, as they were shot. ( 160 in 3 nights)So I seriously doubt it would work much better on the pigs.

That gives me an idea! Put blasters at the feeder until the pigs get used to it. Then go in and shoot them all!

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942390 08/19/20 07:09 PM
D
dawgkllr Online Happy
Tracker
Online Happy
Tracker
D
We just build large feeder pens out of hog panels. They typically go somewhere else where the pickings are easier. They're never gone completely but it thins the numbers down. I see more and better deer now

That old crackheaded commie (Bernie Sanders) has lost his damn mind.. in 1983
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942413 08/19/20 07:24 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by TxHunter87

He kind of jokingly said he was going to make a big bait pile and put a tannerite jug there too and when a big group shows up, pop the tannerite.

I'm going this route. Is 10lbs enough or should I use the whole 20? I'm not going to add any shrapnel, I'm not trying to kill myself too. Is 150yds enough clearance?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942415 08/19/20 07:26 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
It'll shake a blind a mile away. A friend told me.

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942416 08/19/20 07:26 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Put up large round feed pens that keep all the corn inside. That is what I try to do on my place and the neighbor does not....guess who constantly complained to me last year about the number of hogs under his feeders last season? They may still show up at my road corn or bowblinds but is almost always after dark but not during the times I am hunting. Even then the deer still get 100% of the corn inside the pens. But I have worked on killing and trapping hogs year round for the last 9 yrs now so they are not the major issue here that others have to deal with around me.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942499 08/19/20 08:16 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
All of our neighbors have hog problems, they also feed year around. We cut the feeders off at the end of the season and start them late September or mid October. Cut off their food supply and you will reduce the hog population..

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942617 08/19/20 09:26 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
my small ranch that I have in a wildlife improvement management exemption, I run feeders year around and no pens. The pigs are outrageous in numbers but I can go sit for a few days, pop my little 22-250 a couple of times when a herd comes into one of the feeders and they disappear for 8-12 days, sometimes longer before they decide to come back. This cycle is ongoing for the past 3+ years. Once a shot is fired, they are gone for over a week.

and yeah yeah, I know I need to put up pens ... at least on a few of the feeders.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942684 08/19/20 10:06 PM
R
Retired and hunting Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
C'mon guys hogs gotta make a living too 😬

Don't know where I'm goin but I'm makin good time
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942940 08/20/20 12:45 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Buy a thermal sight and start night hunting. A 30 round magazine will do wonders.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942958 08/20/20 12:59 AM
M
mikei Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Unless you live on the property, 24/7, and hunt them relentlessly, you will not be able to control the invasions or the populations. Trapping them is the only way to really reduce the numbers. And, if your neighbors all around you are not doing due diligence, you'll still have problems. It will run in cycles, as mentioned above, and shooting a few will pressure them to other places, but it will be just a matter of time before the return. Their reproduction rate is so high that picking off one or two, every so often will not be effective. Even if you do the blasting thing, they'll be back. . . As Arnold S used to say.

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7942982 08/20/20 01:22 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
A buddy and I got to talking about ways to deal with pigs at his lease.

Shooting them all year doesn’t seem to do anything anymore.

If your lease is like most, folks aren't really shooting them all year long. Hogs are getting shot (at) in a limited amount 2 or 3 weekends a month at most without any sort of significant impact on the population or its disposition. Chances are, a pig or two is being shot under a feeder and the rest just run away. The hogs keep coming back because 90% of the time they eat well and remain unbothered and when they are bothered, the vast majority of the group is unscathed.

The more we talked about it the more I wondered if that would work. If pigs are smart as they say can you traumatize them enough to where they will steer clear of an area?

Besides legality, which I cant find a definite answer that it is not legal, it almost seems like this could work, just wondering if anyone has tried this or if you do know the legality of it.

Im not talking about adding any type of shrapnel just tannerite

Okay, if you are doing tannerite over bait, you aren't going to just traumatize hogs. You will be wounding them without trying to kill them. That becomes an issue of cruelty to animals, regardless of how you feel about hogs. If you use enough tannerite to blow them to smithereens by the concussive overpressure alone, then you are going to want to use several pounds of tannerite and you are going to want to be about 100 yards away for each lb of tannerite. https://gunbelts.com/blog/what-you-need-to-know-about-tannerite/

Yes, there are idiots who will shoot 10 lbs of tannerite at 100 or 200 yards. That is just stupid and is unsafe. People get hurt with tannerite because they don't follow safety rules just like people get negligently shot while hunting because people are following safety rules. Don't be stupid.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7943042 08/20/20 01:56 AM
llbts1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Youtube, search: Tannerite hogs.

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7944900 08/21/20 03:37 PM
P
PigMoney Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Ask your landowner to find out who the local trappers are and get them to trap. I have switched to only cellular traps to enable me to avoid blowing peoples hunts during the season. By seeing that niche in the hog trapping hobby I have picked up more places that are leased out to hunters, who don't mind shooting a pig or two but also don't want pigs eating all of the corn before the deer get there. It's like mesquite control, it's a never ending process. I can trap an entire sounder at once and within 30 days there will slowly be more pigs backfilling the area. We trap a place and then move on to the next, vs the box trap guys sitting on a place all year long and having to drive through the place every day checking traps.

“We don’t rent pigs!”- Hat Creek Cattle Company
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7945788 08/22/20 12:17 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
We hunted and trapped hogs on an area of about 1000 acres of a 5000 acre lease for 15 years. When we finally got serious about hog control, we had two large traps and two regular traps and hunted pigs almost every weekend from 4 different feeders in the area. We killed almost 100 pigs the first year, then we started keeping better count. After four years we were down to about 40 pigs a year. I am sure we could have stayed at that pace forever, but then we left the lease. We were only getting about 15% of the hogs by hunting, the rest was trapping.
After a few years, the leasers were complaining about being overrun with hogs. They said they were hunting them all year and it didn’t seem to make a difference. They proudly said that they were killing 15-20 pigs a year, on 5000 acres! They had no clue what it really takes. Heck one sow can make that many pigs a year.
The Tannerrite thing is just for fun, it will kill hogs and wound many more (similar to the knuckleheads that gut shoot them), but it is not real hog control.
It really does not matter how small the place is, pigs will come from the 10,000s of acres around you. My brothers place is 400 acres right next to that same lease and we easily get 20 pigs a year just by occasional hunting and trapping.
I like the mesquite comparison, about the same, it is never ending and you must be vigilant.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: syncerus] #7945811 08/22/20 01:02 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by syncerus
Buy a thermal sight and start night hunting. A 30 round magazine will do wonders.

I think adding a suppressor to that recipe will help. Hogs scatter like roaches after the first shot, even with a suppressor it is still not silent. The smack of a bullet impact is as loud as a gun shot, especially in the dead of night. But is seems to be better than without one.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: TxHunter87] #7945967 08/22/20 03:11 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
In my experience, hogs can be very sensitive to hunting pressure so you can chase them off temporarily from a given area. However, they always seem to come back at some point if the food source is still there.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: Hudbone] #7945988 08/22/20 03:30 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by Hudbone
It'll shake a blind a mile away. A friend told me.

eeks333

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: dogcatcher] #7946116 08/22/20 06:08 PM
J
jrgocards Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
All of our neighbors have hog problems, they also feed year around. We cut the feeders off at the end of the season and start them late September or mid October. Cut off their food supply and you will reduce the hog population..

Not sure i fully agree with this. I don't feed, but have a crazy number of hogs. Our woods are so thick that you cannot get into where they hide during the day. IMO, our hogs are there because they feel safe during the day. Even without feeding, they are VERY fat. They consider pretty much anything to be food, so they don't need a feeder for them to be in an area.

I play a cat & mouse game with them often in the evening when they come out of the woods. It doesn't seem to have any impact on them that I kill a few as they come out of the woods.

JR

Re: Can You Scare Pigs Off? [Re: jrgocards] #7946134 08/22/20 06:56 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by jrgocards
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

Not sure i fully agree with this. I don't feed, but have a crazy number of hogs. Our woods are so thick that you cannot get into where they hide during the day. IMO, our hogs are there because they feel safe during the day. Even without feeding, they are VERY fat. They consider pretty much anything to be food, so they don't need a feeder for them to be in an area.

I play a cat & mouse game with them often in the evening when they come out of the woods. It doesn't seem to have any impact on them that I kill a few as they come out of the woods.

JR

You have a natural food supply, in our area we don't have that.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide