Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ranch owner looking for suggestions #7943697 08/20/20 05:28 PM
H
HawgHater Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
I bought a ranch in 2018 and have been making improvements and creating some great deer habitat.

I feed protein except for during deer season and run corn feeders during deer season. I also run cattle and such.
I have tremendous deer quality and quantity this season. Last season was an acorn disaster and I saw basically no deer at the feeders.

Up until this point, i have let some family and friends come hunt but I need to generate some revenue. I am spending a lot of money on corn and protein and would at least like hunting revenue to cover my property taxes (which is more than you would think because i have two houses on my property).

What would be the best way to generate some hunting revenue? I have had a couple deer leases before but I don't want to go that route with my property. I have feeders and blinds already set-up and want to maintain that stuff myself.

What would be appealing to hunters? My ranch is less than 2 hours from Denton and has tremendous deer, hog, turkey populations and even decent duck hunting at times. I have a nice ranch house on the property that does have guest accommodations but not sure how i feel about that...

I'd appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7943706 08/20/20 05:33 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
welcome

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7943719 08/20/20 05:43 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by HawgHater
I bought a ranch in 2018 and have been making improvements and creating some great deer habitat.

I feed protein except for during deer season and run corn feeders during deer season. I also run cattle and such.
I have tremendous deer quality and quantity this season. Last season was an acorn disaster and I saw basically no deer at the feeders.

Up until this point, i have let some family and friends come hunt but I need to generate some revenue. I am spending a lot of money on corn and protein and would at least like hunting revenue to cover my property taxes (which is more than you would think because i have two houses on my property).

What would be the best way to generate some hunting revenue? I have had a couple deer leases before but I don't want to go that route with my property. I have feeders and blinds already set-up and want to maintain that stuff myself.

What would be appealing to hunters? My ranch is less than 2 hours from Denton and has tremendous deer, hog, turkey populations and even decent duck hunting at times. I have a nice ranch house on the property that does have guest accommodations but not sure how i feel about that...

I'd appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions.

welcome

Guided hunt packages of 3-4 days is the way to go for what you want........I suggest going to the outfitter section to get a feel for what to charge and what you would offer to be fully inclusive.......really comes down to deer quality and amenities as far as pricing goes....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7943744 08/20/20 05:59 PM
H
Hunt Dog Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Lease, Guide, or whatever check into what State, and maybe County, paperwork you will need. Also, additional Insurance. And talk to a Lawyer about your personal liability.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7943749 08/20/20 06:02 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
How many acres?

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7943750 08/20/20 06:04 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
welcome

You probably already know this, but whatever you decide to do, if you're gonna charge for any hunting, make sure you have the proper, and enough, liability insurance. Google: Texas Agricultural Law Blog (recommended by another member on here). I wouldn't necessarily trust just your insurance agent to make sure you're covered.

I'm in a similar boat; 'bought a place last year. But I'm gonna keep it just family and friends, no charge, even though it gets expensive. Charging for hunting changes things.

If you decide to long-term lease it, and don't want hunters in your house(s), maybe there's a way you can offer travel trailer/rv hook ups? Just an idea.

Good luck to you.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Big_Country01] #7943751 08/20/20 06:04 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Big_Country01
How many acres?

X2 and stands on property?

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Mr. T.] #7943787 08/20/20 06:23 PM
H
HawgHater Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by Big_Country01
How many acres?

X2 and stands on property?
]

It is 250 acres. I currently have 3 elevated blinds, 4 corn feeders and 1 protein feeder.

This property hunts like a property twice as big because of the elevation changes, multiple ponds, etc.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Creekrunner] #7943789 08/20/20 06:24 PM
H
HawgHater Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
welcome

You probably already know this, but whatever you decide to do, if you're gonna charge for any hunting, make sure you have the proper, and enough, liability insurance. Google: Texas Agricultural Law Blog (recommended by another member on here). I wouldn't necessarily trust just your insurance agent to make sure you're covered.

I'm in a similar boat; 'bought a place last year. But I'm gonna keep it just family and friends, no charge, even though it gets expensive. Charging for hunting changes things.

If you decide to long-term lease it, and don't want hunters in your house(s), maybe there's a way you can offer travel trailer/rv hook ups? Just an idea.

Good luck to you.

Yes, that is why i have elected to keep it friends and family up to this point.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7943815 08/20/20 06:42 PM
R
Retired and hunting Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
My very good friend has 100 acres near Mathis day leased for a few years,it was 500 for bucks and 200 for does,till he got caught up .I dont know about insurance or anything but he would just put em on a stand and let em have at it

Don't know where I'm goin but I'm makin good time
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7944055 08/20/20 09:23 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Tell your friends you love’em and they’re welcome to come hunt, for a fee. Only seems fair.

There’s a difference between making money and covering costs.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: CharlieCTx] #7944230 08/20/20 11:53 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Tell your friends you love’em and they’re welcome to come hunt, for a fee. Only seems fair.

Charlie

Yep. They hunt, they pitch in. 250 acres is really not enough land for a commercial operation. If you leased it at all it would bring 5-6 grand but then you've got people on your place. We're in about the same boat. Our wildlife valuation has kept our taxes reasonable. Do you have Ag valuation, or you getting hit full boat? Sounds like a really good place you've got. I'd just keep it friends and family only. And don't shoot all your momma deer, regardless of what some might say. You can shoot out a place pretty quickly. I know because our place was shot out when we bought it in '99. Good luck on your place.

Last edited by Erathkid; 08/20/20 11:54 PM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Erathkid] #7944493 08/21/20 03:08 AM
H
HawgHater Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by Erathkid

Charlie

Yep. They hunt, they pitch in. 250 acres is really not enough land for a commercial operation. If you leased it at all it would bring 5-6 grand but then you've got people on your place. We're in about the same boat. Our wildlife valuation has kept our taxes reasonable. Do you have Ag valuation, or you getting hit full boat? Sounds like a really good place you've got. I'd just keep it friends and family only. And don't shoot all your momma deer, regardless of what some might say. You can shoot out a place pretty quickly. I know because our place was shot out when we bought it in '99. Good luck on your place.

I am Ag Exempt but the two houses kill me. One is a dump that needs a complete redo and the other is pretty nice. The tax appraisal district considers each house to be on 1 acre. Those two houses are about 80% of the my tax bill. The raw land is next to nothing.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7944510 08/21/20 03:19 AM
R
Ringer1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Offer hog hunts after deer season.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7944566 08/21/20 05:36 AM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by HawgHater

Charlie

I am Ag Exempt but the two houses kill me. One is a dump that needs a complete redo and the other is pretty nice. The tax appraisal district considers each house to be on 1 acre. Those two houses are about 80% of the my tax bill. The raw land is next to nothing.

If one house is a dump or not worth fixing up, bulldoze it down . Don't know for sure, but that should lower tax value.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7944577 08/21/20 08:51 AM
D
Dimitri Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
A real "outsider's" perspective:

In your situation I would want something that is not too labour-intensive but can generate a bit of revenue that could help cover some of the expenses.

1. Bulldoze the dump to save money on taxes and maintenance
2. Offer self-catering self-guided hunts from blinds only i.e. max 3 hunters at a time (more controllable than allowing walk/spot and stalk hunts as well)
3. Provide water and electricity at a site where hunters can camp or bring their caravan (camper trailer?)
4. Charge a fee per day to hunt/camp and a fee per animal shot
5. Hunter is responsible for the recovery, gutting, skinning and quartering of the animal but you will need to have a coldroom for the carcasses/meat
6. If necessary, put up a camera at each blind so that you can keep an eye on things
7. Sustainably and legally utilise whatever species are available

Average 2 hunters @ $50 per day each X 25 days sold over the year = $2,000
10 deer harvested @ $400 per deer = $4,000
20 pigs harvested @ $50 per pig = $1,000
Total = $7,000
Or something like that.

Is it worth the hassle in order to generate $7,000? Will that help with the expenses? Or would it be better to just bulldoze the dump, save the tax money and keep it for family and selected friends as you have it?

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Ringer1] #7944581 08/21/20 10:19 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Ringer1

This ^^^^^^ and spring Turkey hunts that way it does not interfere with your deer hunting up

Last edited by Stub; 08/21/20 10:19 AM.

texas flag

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7944872 08/21/20 03:16 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Just curious about this as I don’t know....

If you start charging for hunting purposes, can the show exemption turn into a commercial tax liability?

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7945367 08/21/20 10:46 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Shooting 10 deer per season on 250 acres should be illegal, of course it isn't. Great way to destroy a deer herd.

Don't text and drive.
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Erathkid] #7945410 08/21/20 11:22 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Shooting 10 deer per season on 250 acres should be illegal, of course it isn't. Great way to destroy a deer herd.

Not if it is a LF place in Llano County or other high pop hill country counties. You might cover the new fawn crop at 10 per year if you are lucky. If it is a HF place then it may be enough to cover the fawn crop or not.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7945433 08/21/20 11:45 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I hunted a place in Mason that was way overpopulated. 10 deer per season wouldn't put a dent in the population. Most places I've hunted don't have the density to sustain it though.

Don't text and drive.
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7945434 08/21/20 11:47 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Spring turkey hunts are in demand by out of state people. A dedicated turkey hunter is willing to spend money.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Dimitri] #7945627 08/22/20 02:53 AM
H
HawgHater Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by Dimitri
A real "outsider's" perspective:

In your situation I would want something that is not too labour-intensive but can generate a bit of revenue that could help cover some of the expenses.

1. Bulldoze the dump to save money on taxes and maintenance
2. Offer self-catering self-guided hunts from blinds only i.e. max 3 hunters at a time (more controllable than allowing walk/spot and stalk hunts as well)
3. Provide water and electricity at a site where hunters can camp or bring their caravan (camper trailer?)
4. Charge a fee per day to hunt/camp and a fee per animal shot
5. Hunter is responsible for the recovery, gutting, skinning and quartering of the animal but you will need to have a coldroom for the carcasses/meat
6. If necessary, put up a camera at each blind so that you can keep an eye on things
7. Sustainably and legally utilise whatever species are available

Average 2 hunters @ $50 per day each X 25 days sold over the year = $2,000
10 deer harvested @ $400 per deer = $4,000
20 pigs harvested @ $50 per pig = $1,000
Total = $7,000
Or something like that.

Is it worth the hassle in order to generate $7,000? Will that help with the expenses? Or would it be better to just bulldoze the dump, save the tax money and keep it for family and selected friends as you have it?

A couple thoughts..

$400 for a deer is super cheap. I have mature 10-12 points bucks. I'd expect far more than $400. These are the quality of deer guys pay $2500+ to kill.
Turkey hunting was a little off this last spring but I have 2-3 large flock of birds. Last season I killed a monster Tom with 3 beards.
I am looking to get more around $12,000 for the right 2-4 guys. Basically, there is no expenses. We cover all corn. Harvesting 4 bucks and 4 doe would be doable; then cull a few spikes.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Ringer1] #7945640 08/22/20 03:05 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

This. Can probably charge $50-100 per day for hog hunts.

Also, I let my bro-in-law hunt one of my places, but only hog hunting and only outside of deer season....the deal is every time he goes he has to buy 3-5 bags of corn and put in the feeders. It isn't much, but it helps. You could do something similar....it's feels better to make someone buy 5-10 bags of corn than it is to charge them $50, especially if it's a friend or family member. Also helps them feel like they have a hand in managing the place.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: DocHorton] #7945655 08/22/20 03:25 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by DocHorton

This. Can probably charge $50-100 per day for hog hunts.

Also, I let my bro-in-law hunt one of my places, but only hog hunting and only outside of deer season....the deal is every time he goes he has to buy 3-5 bags of corn and put in the feeders. It isn't much, but it helps. You could do something similar....it's feels better to make someone buy 5-10 bags of corn than it is to charge them $50, especially if it's a friend or family member. Also helps them feel like they have a hand in managing the place.

This. Get your family and friends to pitch in on corn/protein. It'll help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide