Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,585
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7942889 08/20/20 12:13 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by 2Beez
roflmao roflmao roflmao This thread is gold. Some really good advise too

Knowledge and entertainment..... rofl

Nailed it.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: TXGH] #7943008 08/20/20 01:35 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Wish we could put on a GoPro and follow along.

As if he will have less then 7 attached to him...

Ok I will be nice.

TxTrophy gave good advice. Especially food wise. Peak refuel meals is my favorite, the new Chad Mendes sig meals are really good.

First get onX on your phone and save the maps.

Second always mark your truck
Third always have plenty of water, toss in a cheap sawyer just Incase you need to drink from a guzzler
Fourth-get high and glass, glass and glass. A tripod is probably your best investment, it will help your glass more efficiently and most importantly comfortably so you will actually glass more.
Fifth- get a decoy, not to lure but to help when you are busted

Mule deer are pretty tolerant be aggressive.

Last but not least, make sure your vehicle has extra water, air compressor and plug kit.

I hope you kill a stud and have a great hunt... for your self!!! Not the gram

Great advice thank you.

Food wise, one good thing abou tmy surgery is they removed 85% of my stomach so I do not get hungry. Protein drink in the morning and 3 bars thru-out the day mixed with some turkey jerky is plenty to get me by for several days. Already downloaded the maps on OnX and 2 other sources to make offline just to be safe. I agree with water, and I have a life straw as back up as well.

What Decoy would you recommend? That is good advice thank you.

My jeep always has a compressor, plug kit, tool set, green slime, and a few other essentials.

Some great advice here everyone thank you.

Yes I will be filming but on this trip the hunt comes first before footage. Having the tactacams on my set up will make hands free filming easier incase the person with me cannot capture on camera for any reason.

As far as the bow I am contemplating on taking my crossbow just to increase odds of an already low success rate hunt. Not sure yet.

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7943011 08/20/20 01:36 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by 2Beez
roflmao roflmao roflmao This thread is gold. Some really good advise too

Knowledge and entertainment..... rofl

And post of the day for BP. roflmao

Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: TXGH] #7943037 08/20/20 01:54 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
[quote=jtprocaddie]

Great advice thank you.

Food wise, one good thing abou tmy surgery is they removed 85% of my stomach so I do not get hungry. Protein drink in the morning and 3 bars thru-out the day mixed with some turkey jerky is plenty to get me by for several days. Already downloaded the maps on OnX and 2 other sources to make offline just to be safe. I agree with water, and I have a life straw as back up as well. /quote]

That food may be sufficient for sitting in an office or box blind all day, but in the weather and walking around mountain, that won’t sustain you.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: TXGH] #7943072 08/20/20 02:16 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
You are going to be dealing with much higher elevations and climate out there than where you live and are used to. Sitting vs walking in that terrain is going to burn a lot of calories. I would suggest more protein type snacks/energy bars daily than what you have. As far as a crossbow I would consider the terrain and cover you will be hunting in. Wind can always an issue out there it seems. Due to terrain and wind I would suggest you practice a lot without a rest with the crossbow since you make not have time to setup a rest for a shot. You may have to stand to shoot so make sure if you take a trigger stick or similar that it allows a standing shot. For our lease I would say that a regular bow is much faster to draw/shoot and easier to stalk with with in our terrain/cover over the crossbow. On your hunt if the brush/cover is thicker you will have trouble maneuvering thru it with a crossbow. The thorny brush and then regular brush/trees could be constantly tangling with the crossbow as you walk or stalk. If it is more open then it won't be an issue with the crossbow. If it were me I would take both of them to make sure I was covered for any scenario. I would also consider the weight of your compound with quiver to the weight of your crossbow with quiver. If you are not used to carrying that weight around all day long you may need a bow sling. My older model crossbow weighs twice as much as my new compound. It would be long day carrying that thing for me in that terrain.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: TXGH] #7943116 08/20/20 02:48 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by jtprocaddie
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Wish we could put on a GoPro and follow along.

As if he will have less then 7 attached to him...

Ok I will be nice.

TxTrophy gave good advice. Especially food wise. Peak refuel meals is my favorite, the new Chad Mendes sig meals are really good.

First get onX on your phone and save the maps.

Second always mark your truck
Third always have plenty of water, toss in a cheap sawyer just Incase you need to drink from a guzzler
Fourth-get high and glass, glass and glass. A tripod is probably your best investment, it will help your glass more efficiently and most importantly comfortably so you will actually glass more.
Fifth- get a decoy, not to lure but to help when you are busted

Mule deer are pretty tolerant be aggressive.

Last but not least, make sure your vehicle has extra water, air compressor and plug kit.

I hope you kill a stud and have a great hunt... for your self!!! Not the gram

Great advice thank you.

Food wise, one good thing abou tmy surgery is they removed 85% of my stomach so I do not get hungry. Protein drink in the morning and 3 bars thru-out the day mixed with some turkey jerky is plenty to get me by for several days. Already downloaded the maps on OnX and 2 other sources to make offline just to be safe. I agree with water, and I have a life straw as back up as well.

What Decoy would you recommend? That is good advice thank you.

My jeep always has a compressor, plug kit, tool set, green slime, and a few other essentials.

Some great advice here everyone thank you.

Yes I will be filming but on this trip the hunt comes first before footage. Having the tactacams on my set up will make hands free filming easier incase the person with me cannot capture on camera for any reason.

As far as the bow I am contemplating on taking my crossbow just to increase odds of an already low success rate hunt. Not sure yet.

This is best I have used. I have used heads up and montana and this works best for alll species

https://ultimatepredatorgear.com/mule-deer-stalker-decoy/

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: stxranchman] #7943146 08/20/20 03:16 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by stxranchman
You are going to be dealing with much higher elevations and climate out there than where you live and are used to. Sitting vs walking in that terrain is going to burn a lot of calories. I would suggest more protein type snacks/energy bars daily than what you have. As far as a crossbow I would consider the terrain and cover you will be hunting in. Wind can always an issue out there it seems. Due to terrain and wind I would suggest you practice a lot without a rest with the crossbow since you make not have time to setup a rest for a shot. You may have to stand to shoot so make sure if you take a trigger stick or similar that it allows a standing shot. For our lease I would say that a regular bow is much faster to draw/shoot and easier to stalk with with in our terrain/cover over the crossbow. On your hunt if the brush/cover is thicker you will have trouble maneuvering thru it with a crossbow. The thorny brush and then regular brush/trees could be constantly tangling with the crossbow as you walk or stalk. If it is more open then it won't be an issue with the crossbow. If it were me I would take both of them to make sure I was covered for any scenario. I would also consider the weight of your compound with quiver to the weight of your crossbow with quiver. If you are not used to carrying that weight around all day long you may need a bow sling. My older model crossbow weighs twice as much as my new compound. It would be long day carrying that thing for me in that terrain.

Yes sir.. I did a west texas aoudad hunt 6 weeks after surgery last year in the same area and we did 25 miles on foot in 2 days. Was brutal but fun and an awesome experience . I am planning on treating it about the same way in preparing.

great points about the crossbow.. I am going to practice longer distance shots with both, bring both and see how it is when I get there. good advice. thanks!

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: BigPig] #7943153 08/20/20 03:23 AM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by BigPig
[Linked Image]

OMG what a douche

Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: Lone_Wolf] #7943170 08/20/20 03:46 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
OMG what a douche

Was a joke over a year ago when that saying was popular on facebook. not my best moment.....

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: TXGH] #7943205 08/20/20 04:43 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
OMG what a douche

Was a joke over a year ago when that saying was popular on facebook. not my best moment.....

That saying was only popular amongst underage girls. Do you believe pedophilia is a sexual orientation?

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7943226 08/20/20 05:17 AM
20bore Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
Got a Major Upgrade

[Linked Image]
cheers

Knife details, please.

Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: TXGH] #7943235 08/20/20 06:47 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
OMG what a douche

That makes it okay. roflmao

You couldn’t even make a dumb, juvenile joke without pimping your low rent sponsors.

Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7943236 08/20/20 07:11 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Did you ever get the knife blade repaired that you broke when you were trying to pry up that quarter? Just asking for a friend.

Got a Major Upgrade

[Linked Image]
cheers

Nice knife, granite, & steak. What's up with that raw azz bacon? grin

Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: TXGH] #7943246 08/20/20 10:35 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
"Feeling cute"? Oh my.

Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: 20bore] #7943280 08/20/20 11:33 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by 20bore

Knife details, please.

Gift from a very good friend, MikeC blade and build, w/huisache scales

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: skinnerback] #7943283 08/20/20 11:38 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by skinnerback

You should of seen steak inside, nice and cool

Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7943790 08/20/20 06:24 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

I like my steaks black & Blue, you should ask Judd what that means rolleyes

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: BigPig] #7943797 08/20/20 06:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Means cold center, any thing more is over cooked.

[Linked Image]

Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7943799 08/20/20 06:30 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Means cold center, any thing more is over cooked.

[Linked Image]

wow - I am more of a well done guy. I'm always amazed at watching people when they eat " cold in the center"

Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: TXGH] #7943826 08/20/20 06:50 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I would have gone 1 more minute and then it would be about perfect for me, what my MIL calls Medium Rare Plus lol.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: BigPig] #7943848 08/20/20 07:04 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

Still don't understand why you put blu cheese on your steak...must be a dumb Forney thing confused2

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: Judd] #7944113 08/20/20 10:12 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Judd

Still don't understand why you put blu cheese on your steak...must be a dumb Forney thing confused2

I got a surf n turf in the keys and I'll be a monkeys uncle if they did not cover it with some kind of blue cheese sauce. Why on gods green earth would you cover a good cut of meat with anything but butter salt and pepper?

Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: TXGH] #7944165 08/20/20 10:48 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

I like my steaks black & Blue, you should ask Judd what that means rolleyes[/quote]

Still don't understand why you put blu cheese on your steak...must be a dumb Forney thing confused2[/quote]

I got a surf n turf in the keys and I'll be a monkeys uncle if they did not cover it with some kind of blue cheese sauce. Why on gods green earth would you cover a good cut of meat with anything but butter salt and pepper? [/quote]

I agree, and blu cheese should be banned from the planet.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: Judd] #7944187 08/20/20 11:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Judd

You can’t be serious....the blue is a rare reference. Please don’t tell me that Wade has the corona and thinks it’s moldy cheese....

Re: Drawn for Big Bend Archery Mule Deer!!! [Re: Biscuit] #7944193 08/20/20 11:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by EastTXbound

wow - I am more of a well done guy. I'm always amazed at watching people when they eat " cold in the center"

There should be free psychiatric services for anyone that cooks a steak past medium rare , and discounted services past rare.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide