Forums46
Topics536,990
Posts9,719,208
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942297 08/19/20 06:03 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Erathkid
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
No drama

Another good choice I overlooked when creating the poll.

Still, a little drama can sometimes make for a little camp humor, like when the guy who never practices goes peeling out for home after missing the biggest buck of his life. I can still laugh at the memory of seeing that one.

I also remember the time a couple of guys almost burned down the camp after ignoring a 5-gal bucket of old motor oil that was left too close to the fire. Let's just say too much alcohol and the flash point of oil don't mix well.

Or the time I killed a rattler under my trailer, cut the head off then yelled at my brother, " snake". I spun it a couple of times then chunked it at him. I watched in horror as it flew through the air like it was slow motion at the exact time the ranch foreman's Wife walked right into it, slapped her upside the face and covered her with blood.... Things got ugly and tempers flared. I did manage to convince them that it was just an unfortunate incident. I was not kicked off the lease.

That's funny right there. up

I could comment about the trite phrase "No drama," but it would just create drama.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Erathkid] #7942309 08/19/20 06:12 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
No drama

Still, a little drama can sometimes make for a little camp humor, like when the guy who never practices goes peeling out for home after missing the biggest buck of his life. I can still laugh at the memory of seeing that one.

I also remember the time a couple of guys almost burned down the camp after ignoring a 5-gal bucket of old motor oil that was left too close to the fire. Let's just say too much alcohol and the flash point of oil don't mix well.

Or the time I killed a rattler under my trailer, cut the head off then yelled at my brother, " snake". I spun it a couple of times then chunked it at him. I watched in horror as it flew through the air like it was slow motion at the exact time the ranch foreman's Wife walked right into it, slapped her upside the face and covered her with blood.... Things got ugly and tempers flared. I did manage to convince them that it was just an unfortunate incident. I was not kicked off the lease.

roflmao

I'll meet you at the saloon, but you ain't comin to our land!

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Erathkid] #7942332 08/19/20 06:29 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I hunted a number of leases over my years. Some were good and some not so much. Two of the more recent ones were chaos. Before I joined I looked carefully at the restrictions. Number of guest allowed, how many deer allowed, etc. Problem was after I got on I found that none of the restrictions were being followed or enforced. So again it was chaoes. So 13 years ago a good hunting buddy and I decided the next lease we got on would be with a LO who wanted to improve their deer and that we could help manage. Result? Great group of 12 members who are on the same page, treat each other with respect, and openly share information between us. If drama comes up we deal with it.

So I agree that there are too many things to factor in to select just one item in the poll. My guess is that at the end of the poll majority will says "price"

You can't fix stupid
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942333 08/19/20 06:30 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
All are in the mix in my lease decisions, so very hard to only pick a primary #1. I guess that's why I have keep multiple leases and hunting options
1. for kids very important to me and enjoy the kids and bonding (my kids and others')
2. "my time" hunting lease for my serious all in hunting (no drama, good deer/trophy potential, good people, like minded hunters, simple/reasonable rules and very few needed when like minded
3. E TX properties to still get some hunts in with my Dad and enjoy the timber, ridges and more difficult hunting where rub, scrape lines and scouting is way different that W TX and N TX

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: stxranchman] #7942334 08/19/20 06:31 PM
T
TiggerV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted by stxranchman
You failed on this poll for me. My reasons to lease a place are many not just one single one. My reasons would all be important to me. I do not put one reason above any of the others when it comes to making a lease decision.

I gotta agree on this. So much goes into getting a lease sometime.

I had a great deal on a place a number of years ago. Showed up to review the place. Watched 2 Bubbas roll out of their bunks after an afternoon nap, have a couple beers, toss the empties in a pile of 30+ cans and gear up and go hunting. Decided that wasn't the place for me. Went to another place, and had to pass. It was cheap, but nearly a 9 hour drive on a good day. Another place was excellent. Right at the edge i could afford. Very close. Unfortunately, it had a lot of oil work on it also so deer were scarce.

But over all, good people and company make up for a lot of negatives.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942386 08/19/20 07:07 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I was thinking people are by far the most important, but as somebody pointed out... if the game isn't there you wouldn't enjoy the hunting part of it. To me it is kind of a tie between the two.

I know this is in the deer section so it is probably geared more towards that, but I like to hunt everything. Where I am now has decent deer, nothing to write home about tho. But, it has good dove, some quail and turkey, and great duck hunting. The all round game is a bigger factor for me than trophy bucks.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942400 08/19/20 07:15 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
To me price would be first consideration with location a close second. You can find a place with good genetics in a part of the state that you like along with folks you can get along with (although how would you even know this until you are on the lease and been around the other members) but if the price is beyond what you can afford then the rest of the stuff doesn't really matter. I love west Texas and used to go mule deer hunting at Sanderson, but the 10 hour trip from Nacogdoches to Sanderson prevented me from going more than twice a year and if I would have had to pay to go (land belonged to a friend) I probably wouldn't have. To me price and hunting opportunity are the most important. I pretty much hunt exclusively in east Texas- would it be my first choice? Probably not but it is affordable and the farthest I have to travel to one of the two leases I hunt is 35 minutes with one lease I can get to in 15 minutes in my Ranger. I can hunt every weekend from the beginning of bow season till the end of muzzle loader season and before the time changes I can hunt every afternoon after work.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: TLew] #7942445 08/19/20 07:41 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by TLew
No drama

roflmao

I'll meet you at the saloon, but you ain't comin to our land!

Fair enough. Looking forward to it, T. If they ever open the bars back up.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Erathkid] #7942471 08/19/20 07:56 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
No drama

Bet that did cause plenty of drama lol.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942484 08/19/20 08:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I think it's safe at this point to say that most folks are not so much worried about the cost of a lease if it satisfies their key requirements. Still, there's no shame in having a budget and following it.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/19/20 08:04 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942531 08/19/20 08:31 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
"Or the time I killed a rattler under my trailer, cut the head off then yelled at my brother, " snake". I spun it a couple of times then chunked it at him. I watched in horror as it flew through the air like it was slow motion . . ."

Did nearly the same thing. Brought one about 3 1/2 feet home that I killed with a tire iron. Opened the door to the apartment and there was the Cuban in his tighty whiteys sitting in the easy chair after completing a double shift. I threw it, yelled his name and watched as it rotated in slow motion whereupon he jumped and fell on the durn thing. He caught blood on his arm where the head had been cut off and mistakenly thought he had been bitten. Heavily peeved does not provide enuff justice to his attitude. I was laughing all get out, but it might have been the one and only time he coulda whipped my butt. Never, ever seen anyone be able to throw a snake as far as he did.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942644 08/19/20 09:40 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Yep flawed poll. Difficult question to pick just one for many reasons.

The question should be limited to those who will only be able to hunt on that one lease and no other property so you can really define what is most important to them.

Their are people that own good hunting land but they also have the luxury of being on a lease or leases for other reasons, like maybe different game animals or the luxury of just being on a lease with a bunch of good friends for the comradery aspect. That would make it a easy to say "just being around good people" because they have their hunting covered elsewhere and that is awesome.

Have not been on a lease in forever but will again probably soon.

If you could only hunt on one lease and nowhere else what would your answer be???

If your going to pay good money to get on a lease plus all of the other cost associated with hunting, one would certainly want there to be a good opportunity to harvest the game you are hunting.
One also wants to be around good fun natured people who do not do constantly do stupid things like being obnoxious, inconsiderate of other people things, intentionally breaking game laws and creating drama with their self serving BS that makes it no fun for anyone.

Should be a set of choices like:

1.Bunch of trophy animals but others lease members are a-holes. Answer No because life is to short to put up with that and you would not enjoy your time out there.
2.Hunting sucks but a great bunch of fun people. Another no only because I can socializing with fun folks elsewhere.
3.Good hunting but not much interaction with lease members who are good people. Yes because as much as I like good fun people, I like to enjoy my time in the woods with the expectation that if I do the right things I might get that certain type animal I am hunting for or just have that nice relaxing time in the woods with mother nature up

texas flag

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: LeonCarr] #7943240 08/20/20 10:14 AM
T
texfork Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by LeonCarr
To me being around good people that are safe and not idiots is first, with no stupid rules being a close second.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

This is my criteria for leasing .

Prayer is the "ultimate" wireless connection .
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7943255 08/20/20 10:48 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Good habitat, good genetics and great hunting partners aside, we also benefit from:

Two hours door to door - just far enough to feel like you have gone somewhere and just close enough where the drive doesn't get to you.

No foreign exchange student activity - zero

Compliant and reasonable non-resident owner

Grazing leased by a son-in-law of one of the hunters

Camp is about 4 miles off the paved road with no fences on a road

Six year lease - we can afford to make improvements knowing we have time on our side

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Hudbone] #7943323 08/20/20 12:24 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Good habitat, good genetics and great hunting partners aside, we also benefit from:

Two hours door to door - just far enough to feel like you have gone somewhere and just close enough where the drive doesn't get to you.

No foreign exchange student activity - zero

Compliant and reasonable non-resident owner

Grazing leased by a son-in-law of one of the hunters

Camp is about 4 miles off the paved road with no fences on a road

Six year lease - we can afford to make improvements knowing we have time on our side

Ours is very similar to this other than we have zero cattle and zero oil field traffic - we do have some but very minimal student activity

You can't fix stupid
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7943456 08/20/20 02:06 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
If only everything we needed to be completely satisfied would be ideal. The truth is, short of the love of the Creator, nothing is ideal in life. True satisfaction is always a matter of prioritizing where we're willing to accept something less than ideal and by how much. The only single thing that matters most is often overlooked because we won't even stop to consider choosing anything else. I won't even stop to think about how good the hunting might be in Central or West Texas because I'll never be content driving that distance from my home. And the price or numbers of good people and deer will never change that.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/20/20 02:14 PM.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7943500 08/20/20 02:49 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
A couple of other choices that I missed were related to hunting methods. Some guys are only interested in "bow only" leases. Also, a no feeder policy is enough to make a lot of Texas deer hunters say thanks but no thanks. Yes, there are landowners who don’t want feeders because I’m currently leasing from one of them. Being the owner of a hay business with some beautiful pasture land, he wants absolutely nothing to do with deer feeders being on his place.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/20/20 04:17 PM.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7948883 08/24/20 11:44 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Other; has to be kid friendly. If I can’t bring my kids, there is no reason for me to go. When my kids are older, then maybe something else on the list will bubble up

Thanks,
Rich
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide