Page 1 of 2 1 2
Neighborhood Deer.. #7941848 08/19/20 01:04 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
A good friend of mine is building a house close to Canyon Lake, he sees a lot of deer there all of the time.
Always wondered if you lived in an area where a lot of deer run around almost like pets if that takes away some of a hunters enthusiasm for actually hunting them?

Last edited by Stub; 08/19/20 01:06 PM.

texas flag

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7941909 08/19/20 01:54 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
It's a great question - personally my internal desire to kill them continues to change as I get older. When I was younger I wanted to shoot every legal deer I saw. We have a feeder right outside the camp and deer come to it regularly which puts them 20 yards from the house. We would never shoot them. I love to watch deer, if I see a true trophy while hunting I will take it but I pass many, many deer every season. To each their own...

BTW - that video has one really nice deer in it.

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7941924 08/19/20 02:05 PM
N
NOCOOLNAMETOO Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Nice buck, kinda like PK lake 150" eating Cheetos lol

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7941930 08/19/20 02:09 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Some idjit enthusiastically took this guy.

[Linked Image]

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7941978 08/19/20 02:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I have a feeder about 100 yards from my front porch. If a huge buck were to show up someday during the season, I would probably take pics before and after the shot. grin They will tolerate my daily routine around the house but walk towards them or change the routine and they will react like any other deer on my place.
Now let's throw this question in the mix. If that same deer you see in the video/pic were to show up at your blind/feeder a mile or two away during the rut...would you shoot if you had never seen him before? Same deer just you know nothing about him.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: stxranchman] #7942012 08/19/20 02:55 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Now let's throw this question in the mix. If that same deer you see in the video/pic were to show up at your blind/feeder a mile or two away during the rut...would you shoot if you had never seen him before? Same deer just you know nothing about him.

I guess that all depends on my current and future hunting opportunities. First I would have to see what he looks like out of Velvet, probably not as impressive.
Its a nice buck but I would probably not shoot because he does not have any brow tines and once the velvet is gone so will a some of the eye candy, I have passed on better.

Would you or anyone else on here?

texas flag

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7942071 08/19/20 03:26 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Stub

I guess that all depends on my current and future hunting opportunities. First I would have to see what he looks like out of Velvet, probably not as impressive.
Its a nice buck but I would probably not shoot because he does not have any brow tines and once the velvet is gone so will a some of the eye candy, I have passed on better.

Would you or anyone else on here?

I look at where I am hunting and what is considered a mature/trophy animal more than how big is he. I would waste time here on my place waiting for a 160" deer but I am content with picking out one buck to go after for that season...no matter the score. It is more about what I the look that I like. If the weak browtined buck in the video showed up here he would be shot by one of my neighbors before he got to my place...if he did he run the gantlet then he would be in deep poop if he showed up at one of my bowblinds. He is mature and would be consider a shooter buck around here by age and tine length.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7942095 08/19/20 03:47 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I guess for me there are days I would and days I wouldn't and perhaps places I would and places I wouldn't.... in my back yard?... probably not maybe depends most likely....fortunately(?) I don't have that dilemma.

Had an uncle who was an avid hunter...he bought a place out by lake Whitney and set a feeder out back. He would sit out on his deck during deer season and watch the big bucks that flooded onto his property during the season and never once even considered shooting one....those same deer on his lease would not get a pass.

ETB...I hear ya...the older I get the more I like to just observe and learn what I should have learned years ago...too busy pullin' triggers I guess.

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7942134 08/19/20 04:17 PM
N
NOCOOLNAMETOO Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
I guess I'd have to shoot him for a management buck with those weak brows and such ,lol . I guess it's all of a matter of perspective of where you hunt and what kind of deer is the norm.

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7942137 08/19/20 04:18 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
When you can get them to eat corn out of your hand it is time to quit shooting those. In Ruidoso, we had some that would eat out of your hand, no corn, they also like Cheerios.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7942270 08/19/20 05:47 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Nice deer.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: dogcatcher] #7942405 08/19/20 07:19 PM
N
NOCOOLNAMETOO Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
When you can get them to eat corn out of your hand it is time to quit shooting those. In Ruidoso, we had some that would eat out of your hand, no corn, they also like Cheerios.

I have a friend over by Eagle Mountain Lake that has them pretty tame put not eat out of your hand tame.

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7942537 08/19/20 08:35 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Long time ago I use to go to Koon Kreek Kountry club south of Athens. One of the members use to put corn in a coffee can go out back shake the can and whistle and they would come within 10' and were talking some nice bucks mixed in there too.

texas flag

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7942766 08/19/20 10:55 PM
B
brokenpole Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Bow hunt at the very least

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: brokenpole] #7942875 08/20/20 12:04 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I dont like to see WILD animals in un wild situations. If I knew a deer was not wild I would not want to hunt/kill it.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7942907 08/20/20 12:23 AM
M
Michael W. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
A couple of those are much better than the average buck for that area.

A clear conscience is often the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7942908 08/20/20 12:24 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
We have a lot of deer in the neighborhood and they are fun to watch. At times when I see a good one cannot help but think I wish was at the lease. The other side of the coin is the frustration of them eating plants around the yard.. Last year they wiped out 2 small trees and damaged 3 shrubs. Bucks use the small tree and shrubs to rid themselves of velvet.

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7942920 08/20/20 12:32 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
cheers

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: stxranchman] #7942927 08/20/20 12:37 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
I have a feeder about 100 yards from my front porch. If a huge buck were to show up someday during the season, I would probably take pics before and after the shot. grin They will tolerate my daily routine around the house but walk towards them or change the routine and they will react like any other deer on my place.

Yep. I have a feeder 15 yrds behind my garage with deer on it daily again, had a couple real nice bucks on my ground too pre Harvey. Before the storm there were a lot of deer here, then there were none for quite some time afterwards. Anyway, I'd have deer within 30-40 yrds of me as long as I stayed moving on my mower. If I stopped the mower, they would alert and stare at me. If I took one step off of that mower they were gone!. I used to sit in my garage with my crossbow waiting on one of the big boys to show up, but only young bucks and does would show when I was hunting of course. I've got some neighbors pretty close now, so not going to use the crossbow anymore here at the homestead. I can already hear the screaming and the drama if a deer runs through their property squirting blood everywhere and crashing lol. Chad is loading me up some subs for my suppressed 300 blackout for up close DRT shots, JUST in case. grin I question now though, whether or not I would shoot a good buck here now. Since they are just starting to come back. Most likely not, unless he's a real bruiser.

On a side note, a couple of days ago my nephew swears up and down he saw a mountain lion run across the dirt road and jump the fence right here about 150 yrds from my house. We've talked & talked about it and he swears it was absolutely a big lion, but happened way too fast to get a picture. smile I've seen of course deer, pigs, & coyotes on my ground, it's definitely possible it was a lion. I live 2 miles outside the city limits but there's deer all over in town.

And yes, there are a lot deer around Choke. up

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Hudbone] #7942941 08/20/20 12:48 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone

[Linked Image]

Looks well marbled and tender to me

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7943022 08/20/20 01:47 AM
R
Retired and hunting Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Have a feeder in my nephews hayfield right accross my fence,have several does and a couple of bucks all the time.one of the bucks is large for our neck of the woods.my wife has laid claim to him come deer season

Don't know where I'm goin but I'm makin good time
Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Stub] #7943301 08/20/20 12:02 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Three houses down - I couldn't even get them all in the photo.

[Linked Image]

Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: Hudbone] #7943382 08/20/20 01:12 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Hudbone

[Linked Image]

Hudbone, are you saying someone killed this deer in town? How long ago was this pic from?

This is one hell of a buck if this is in NB. I've seen some very nice ones up to the 150s but nothing with a frame like this one.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: stxranchman] #7943384 08/20/20 01:16 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

stx, our deer are still wild as hell for some reason. They are not bothered if I'm on the tractor but they will not stand around long even at 200 yds if you move around outside.
I'm not sure why this is as there is very little hunting pressure on them that we know of at least recently.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Neighborhood Deer.. [Re: skinnerback] #7943391 08/20/20 01:20 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by skinnerback

On a side note, a couple of days ago my nephew swears up and down he saw a mountain lion run across the dirt road and jump the fence right here about 150 yrds from my house. We've talked & talked about it and he swears it was absolutely a big lion, but happened way too fast to get a picture. smile I've seen of course deer, pigs, & coyotes on my ground, it's definitely possible it was a lion. I live 2 miles outside the city limits but there's deer all over in town.

And yes, there are a lot deer around Choke. up

skinnerback, I don't doubt the lion story at all. a few years back there was a big one in the city of Cibolo that was seen multiple times and even killed a big dog in one of the neighborhoods. Prior to that a year or two there was a confirmed sighting of one crossing FM1518 about a mile south of FM78 in Schertz next to Randolph AFB and the Cibolo creek. Both these sightings were confirmed. 3 years ago there were multiple sightings near our place and several cows/calves that got pretty scarred up.

I think there are more lions now than ever but they still remain pretty dang smart and secretive and can live within very close proximity of populated areas and never let it be known in most cases.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide