Page 1 of 2 1 2
Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands #7941907 08/19/20 01:54 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
This poll is offered strictly for those who are currently leasing land for hunting rights. If you own your own place, that's wonderful but the intent here is gain the opinions of those who prefer to lease land for hunting purposes.

What is the single most important factor for you when joining a hunting lease or leasing a place for yourself and family?

Hunting Lease Poll
single choice
Price (13%, 10 Votes)
Location (19%, 15 Votes)
Plenty of deer (10%, 8 Votes)
Plenty of deer with good racks (18%, 14 Votes)
Rules that work for me (6%, 5 Votes)
Being around good people (21%, 17 Votes)
Something else (14%, 11 Votes)
Total Votes: 80
Voting on this poll ends: 10/19/20 01:53 PM
Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/19/20 01:56 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7941913 08/19/20 01:58 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
You failed on this poll for me. My reasons to lease a place are many not just one single one. My reasons would all be important to me. I do not put one reason above any of the others when it comes to making a lease decision.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: stxranchman] #7941931 08/19/20 02:11 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by stxranchman
You failed on this poll for me. My reasons to lease a place are many not just one single one. My reasons would all be important to me. I do not put one reason above any of the others when it comes to making a lease decision.

Since we don't live in perfect world, my experience has always been that people will tolerate some things but will quickly walk away if certain requirements are not met.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7941942 08/19/20 02:18 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Guessing being around good people qualifies as kid friendly with lots of other kids.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: stxranchman] #7941953 08/19/20 02:26 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J

This.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7941968 08/19/20 02:37 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
To me being around good people that are safe and not idiots is first, with no stupid rules being a close second.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7941984 08/19/20 02:42 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Guessing being around good people qualifies as kid friendly with lots of other kids.

The answer was really more about people who always obey the law and with strong ethics. While I have three kids myself, no doubt there are some great people who don't have kids and prefer an all adult hunting lease.

A lease that allows kids was a choice I should have included in the poll.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7941991 08/19/20 02:45 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Since we don't live in perfect world, my experience has always been that people will tolerate some things but will quickly walk away if certain requirements are not met.

I am on a lease and have been since 2007. I will say that every factor you listed on the poll was met and would be checked off plus the last box. You can settle for something that does not meet your satisfaction or keep looking for the right fit for yourself.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7941992 08/19/20 02:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

The answer was really more about people who always obey the law and with strong ethics. While I have three kids myself, no doubt there are some great people who don't have kids and prefer an all adult hunting lease.

A lease that allows kids was a choice I should have included in the poll.

My main lease is for my Kids first and foremost, I hunt other places for my self that check all boxes

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: stxranchman] #7942010 08/19/20 02:55 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
[quote=Texas Dan][quote=stxranchman] I am on a lease and have been since 2007. I will say that every factor you listed on the poll was met and would be checked off plus the last box.

I bet the being around good people thingie was high in your decision making process.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942021 08/19/20 03:02 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Never seen a poll on here i didnt think was flawed. Good try though and keep em coming. For me theres no way way to say which is more important cause I would not hunt before i would hunt without most if not all those boxes checked. I work hard to find the right property and then I work hard to manage it so that all the boxes are checked and more. I guess its kind of like asking if you would like a truck with an engine or a transmission, some things "all of the above" is the only acceptable answer.

Last edited by freerange; 08/19/20 03:03 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942026 08/19/20 03:03 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
You might say my primary purpose in creating this poll was for hunters to get a holistic view of others want most in a hunting lease. There truly are no right or wrong answers. The question asked might be rephrased as "I can tolerate something less than ideal in everything but this".

No surprise that price is not a deal killer to most folks.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/19/20 03:10 PM.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: freerange] #7942033 08/19/20 03:06 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by freerange
Never seen a poll on here i didnt think was flawed. Good try though and keep em coming. For me theres no way way to say which is more important cause I would not hunt before i would hunt without most if not all those boxes checked. I work hard to find the right property and then I work hard to manage it so that all the boxes are checked and more. I guess its kind of like asking if you would like a truck with an engine or a transmission, some things "all of the above" is the only acceptable answer.

Yup

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942044 08/19/20 03:12 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Dan, Im glad you are trying but I think maybe you should of had them rank them by importance or something but just one is tough.
I am very surprised that price wouldnt be #1 for most. Every single listing for a lease that has a ton of hunters and a low price, guys will slobber all over trying to beat everybody to it and it always leases asap. Often times they lease so fast they must be sight unseen so I doubt those guys are able to verify(if even ask) many of the boxes you listed except price and location. Im not at all saying anything wrong with price being important which is why I will be surprised if price doesnt rank high on this list.

Last edited by freerange; 08/19/20 03:14 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942046 08/19/20 03:13 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Putting things in order of importance

1.) Animals (numbers and quality)
2 - 5) Location, rules, price and members are a tie

At the end of the day it's about hunting to me and why I drive 7 hours to put up with lazy people and crazy landowners.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Hudbone] #7942048 08/19/20 03:14 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Hudbone
[quote=Texas Dan][quote=stxranchman] I am on a lease and have been since 2007. I will say that every factor you listed on the poll was met and would be checked off plus the last box.

I bet the being around good people thingie was high in your decision making process.

It is important but it ranks up there with all the rest in the mix for me. You have enough acreage and space you can tolerate the "clowns"... peep

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942052 08/19/20 03:14 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
For those who might be interested, location is most important to me. I can live with rules, lesser numbers of deer and imperfect people chasing after them. I just refuse to spend too many hours in a vehicle to hunt with them.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942053 08/19/20 03:15 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
It’s all relative. I’ll pay more to lease country that has quality game or is close to home, but the two arnt mutually exclusive.

I won’t pay at all for leases that have stupid rules or filled up with wannabe biologists and armchair quarterbacks no matter how big the deer are.

If it’s a good area with good game I don’t mind getting behind the wheel for a 3-5 hour extended stay trip

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: stxranchman] #7942064 08/19/20 03:21 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone

It is important but it ranks up there with all the rest in the mix for me. You have enough acreage and space you can tolerate the "clowns"... peep

The quotation marks were not needed for some of us. We'll see how long it takes to pull him out.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942103 08/19/20 03:50 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
To me tops is abundant game. I lease to hunt if there isn’t sufficient game to hunt I don’t want to be there no matter any of the other factors.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942106 08/19/20 03:53 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Amenities and access are probably my number one reason for staying.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942125 08/19/20 04:10 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
No drama

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: SapperTitan] #7942135 08/19/20 04:17 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
No drama

Another good choice I overlooked when creating the poll.

Still, a little drama can sometimes make for a little camp humor, like when the guy who never practices goes peeling out for home after missing the biggest buck of his life. I can still laugh at the memory of seeing that one.

I also remember the time a couple of guys almost burned down the camp after ignoring a 5-gal bucket of old motor oil that was left too close to the fire. Let's just say too much alcohol and the flash point of oil don't mix well.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/19/20 04:29 PM.

Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Jimbo1] #7942176 08/19/20 04:40 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

This.

Yep.

2 of us lease 65,000 to hunt mule deer. We have a superb landowner, have earned his trust, excellent genetics, and don't have to put up with a bunch of other dumbasses while we're hunting. When I go I hope I don't see another human other than the guy/guest I'm hunting with.

Last edited by Jgraider; 08/19/20 04:46 PM.
Re: Poll for those currently leasing hunting lands [Re: Texas Dan] #7942279 08/19/20 05:51 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
No drama

Another good choice I overlooked when creating the poll.

Still, a little drama can sometimes make for a little camp humor, like when the guy who never practices goes peeling out for home after missing the biggest buck of his life. I can still laugh at the memory of seeing that one.

I also remember the time a couple of guys almost burned down the camp after ignoring a 5-gal bucket of old motor oil that was left too close to the fire. Let's just say too much alcohol and the flash point of oil don't mix well.

Or the time I killed a rattler under my trailer, cut the head off then yelled at my brother, " snake". I spun it a couple of times then chunked it at him. I watched in horror as it flew through the air like it was slow motion at the exact time the ranch foreman's Wife walked right into it, slapped her upside the face and covered her with blood.... Things got ugly and tempers flared. I did manage to convince them that it was just an unfortunate incident. I was not kicked off the lease.

Last edited by Erathkid; 08/19/20 05:52 PM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide