Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thoughts/ Deer lease #7939686 08/17/20 08:25 PM
N
NOCOOLNAMETOO Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Hunt by committee . whats your thoughts ?

I feel a little micro managed. I don't like deer being categorized into cull, no shoot or trophies based off pictures . I think this go either way just like people post on here one buck gets aged from 3/12 to 5 1/2. We have rules in place I'm good with that but having 3 folders of deer to determine what can and cannot be shot just seem overkill . To me judge on the hoof is the way to go. Our lease is getting better quality deer each year and I knew what I signed up for guess I just needed to vent a little .

Last edited by NOCOOLNAMETOO; 08/17/20 10:04 PM.
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7939721 08/17/20 08:40 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
More info needed. Who's deciding, what's the process, how long have you been on it, how many hunters, etc.

Shoot-from-the-hip opinion? If you ain't having fun...get off now. Life's too short. It's just a dang deer. There's tons of deer "experts"/ lease "managers" that are power obsessed (and haven't managed many people, if any, at least successfully, in their lives).

I've felt what you're feeling. And, being the oldest guy on the lease, that has more than "paid his dues", I cut my losses while the gettin' was good.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7939740 08/17/20 08:47 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
No way another hunter is telling me what deer I can or can't shoot if it's a legal deer. Our only rules are 1. One 8pt or better. and 2. One 7pt or less. 3. No does (landowner rule). If I like it, I'm shooting it.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7939757 08/17/20 08:53 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
If you agreed to it when you signed the lease then it is what it is. I would lobby for culls/trophy folders only. The rest would just be off limits if they aren't in those two folders. What do you do if a huge bucks shows up that is not in the trophy list folder?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7939777 08/17/20 09:05 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I got off a lease years ago due to a power mad micromanager. There were rules even on cooking and dish washing. I tolerated it till I shot a nice 9 point and was told by the guy that I shouldn’t have shot it. It was a perfectly legal deer.

It seemed like every lease I was on was worse than the previous one.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7939792 08/17/20 09:11 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I once looked at a lease that a member on here is on. Printed pages of close-down procedures on the cabin. If you're the last one out, you have to mop the floor. I don't mop. bolt

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: stxranchman] #7939807 08/17/20 09:23 PM
N
NOCOOLNAMETOO Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted by stxranchman
If you agreed to it when you signed the lease then it is what it is. I would lobby for culls/trophy folders only. The rest would just be off limits if they aren't in those two folders. What do you do if a huge bucks shows up that is not in the trophy list folder?

You're right .I really like our place I just like the idea of keeping it simple and pictures can be very deceiving sometimes.

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7939819 08/17/20 09:30 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Sure takes the fun out of it

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7939840 08/17/20 09:42 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by NOCOOLNAMETOO
Originally Posted by stxranchman

You're right .I really like our place I just like the idea of keeping it simple and pictures can be very deceiving sometimes.

cheers I agree I would hate to be tied down on a lease where you have go back in to camp to discuss a buck or wait for approval from pics/videos. But I understand their side of also. Past history has lead them to their rules. If it is done before season starts then that will be okay if I agreed to it. To me the issue is when something new steps out that meets the lease criteria and no one has seen him before. If they expect me to wait they are probably going to be butt hurt... and I will be on the road looking for a new lease. roflmao
I have been fooled at times by cam pics and from still pics I took also. It is difficult when you have not hunted the place before and I like to sit to see a few bucks first. If there are past harvest photos or records to look at that really helps. Just body weight alone helps on some places. Nothing beats past history on a lease.
I get to guest hunt on several places that let me hunt and make decision on my own. I do a lot but their criteria for shoot/keep is well defined but even then I usually take pics or video to get second opinion on bucks that I have a question on that I have no history on. If I have seen them before or know they meet the criteria easily then I shoot without asking. They trust me and I do not want to disappoint them by shooting something that they might pass on.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7939845 08/17/20 09:46 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Our place was pretty much like the ones mention. A rule for everything and every animal "could have walked another year"

Anthrax eliminated our amazing deer herd, but it actually simplified things as well. We have less hunters now and less to worry about as well

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7939858 08/17/20 09:51 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Somethings work themselves out. cool

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Creekrunner] #7939866 08/17/20 09:53 PM
N
NOCOOLNAMETOO Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I once looked at a lease that a member on here is on. Printed pages of close-down procedures on the cabin. If you're the last one out, you have to mop the floor. I don't mop. bolt

sounds familiar...lol I don't mind pulling my weight or helping anybody out. but i want to enjoy the solitude and don't feel like gotta work every time I make a trip down during season , police up after myself for sure.

Last edited by NOCOOLNAMETOO; 08/17/20 10:02 PM.
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7939984 08/17/20 11:20 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
First of all, I can attest that leases do exist that have rules and guidelines on what to shoot and they are still FUN. They may be the exception and I feel bad for those that have not experienced that type lease but I hope yall are open minded enough to admit they exist and hopefully refrain from bashing them.
In regard to this threads stated issues I would categorize leases into 3 types.
1. ALL members are likeminded in the clearly stated goals and how to achieve them and this was insured by the leader(lease manager, land owner etc) during an extensive interview process. Everyone should not only AGREE to the rules/guidelines/kill criteria etc but they should UNDERSTAND them and BELIEVE in them. IF IF IF all members are of this same mindset then it will likely be a productive lease and everyone will have FUN.
2. ALL members agree that there are NO rules/guidelines/kill criteria etc. IF IF IF all members are of this same mindset then it will likely NOT be a very productive lease but at least everyone should have FUN(their version.)
3. SOME members believe in and want rules and guidelines but SOME want the afore mentioned "free for all". This seems to be the most common type lease(from listening to yall over many years) and apparently it is not very productive and definitely not FUN(for anyone.)
Obviously in my examples the productive and fun leases are the ones that everyone is on the same page. If you are not likeminded with the rest of the group then you most likely are on the wrong lease. Everyone has a choice, chose wisely.

To address a few specifics from the comments. On our lease we have extensive pictures on a inhouse website that have been gathered and shared by all members. Everyone has the opportunity to be in on the preaging and prescoring of the bucks. We then categorize them after much "group" discussion. If a buck shows up that hasnt been identified before he is NOT off limits but its up to the hunter to decide his age. This doesnt happen a whole lot cause we have such an extensive camera management system. Most of the guys in our group would make the shoot/no shoot decision based on their ability to age and everyone has enough respect for the group that "when in doubt, dont." I guarantee you if STX was on our lease he would have the green light on anything he deemed was old enough. As for pics being deceiving, I agree completely, and thats why we have so many pics and history over many years and we let all members be in on the aging. It was very hard work to put together a system and a group of guys to make this work but it absolutely does and it is FUN FUN FUN.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940012 08/17/20 11:33 PM
T
TiggerV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Looks like we all have a different definition of fun.....

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: TiggerV] #7940034 08/17/20 11:47 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by TiggerV

Definitely, and definitely nothing wrong with that. They make more than one color truck too.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Leonardo] #7940042 08/17/20 11:56 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Leonardo

Yep. I don’t get it.

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: TiggerV] #7940046 08/18/20 12:00 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TiggerV

roflmao

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940063 08/18/20 12:15 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Doesn't sound much fun to me either.

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Sneaky] #7940174 08/18/20 01:52 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Originally Posted by Leonardo

Yep. I don’t get it.

Some are on a power trip.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940381 08/18/20 09:49 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I got on a lease with rules. Some pretty sensible ones and no, you don't need to keep a reference guide. As time passed and if there was a thought to a rule change, then it was brought before everybody and voted upon. If things went my way (I haven't brought up a rule change), then fine, If not, I could have always done something else.

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940391 08/18/20 10:16 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
As Freerange and Stx stated there are multiple ways to for deer leases to operate just the same as there are different ways businesses are run or how children are raised. There is no “right or wrong” way as long as it is within the law. As stated on this forum multiple times, the trick is to join a lease that fits your personality and goals. The issues arise when a member joins a lease where they don’t agree with the rules but joins anyway or they want rules and join a lease that doesn’t have any.

How you define “fun” may be totally different from how I or someone else defines it. I can tell you that on our lease (which is structured based on our LO’s rules), I have witnessed many members over my years kill the biggest deer of their lives by far. I have been there when they teared up or were jumping around like a kids with joy. For them, I am pretty sure they would define their experiences as fun.

So let’s all keep in mind the beauty of living in a country of free will and free choice. When joining a lease simply invest the time to find the one that fits your style.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940407 08/18/20 10:54 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Looking at a lease, I asked about bringing your dog along in the off-season. "No dogs." Bad past experience with the LO, etc. That's fine. At that exact moment another lease member pulls up and out hops the happiest Lab you've ever seen. roflmao

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: tlk] #7940415 08/18/20 11:02 AM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted by tlk
As Freerange and Stx stated there are multiple ways to for deer leases to operate just the same as there are different ways businesses are run or how children are raised. There is no “right or wrong” way as long as it is within the law. As stated on this forum multiple times, the trick is to join a lease that fits your personality and goals. The issues arise when a member joins a lease where they don’t agree with the rules but joins anyway or they want rules and join a lease that doesn’t have any.

How you define “fun” may be totally different from how I or someone else defines it. I can tell you that on our lease (which is structured based on our LO’s rules), I have witnessed many members over my years kill the biggest deer of their lives by far. I have been there when they teared up or were jumping around like a kids with joy. For them, I am pretty sure they would define their experiences as fun.

So let’s all keep in mind the beauty of living in a country of free will and free choice. When joining a lease simply invest the time to find the one that fits your style.

That's a great summation!

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940470 08/18/20 12:03 PM
N
NOCOOLNAMETOO Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Thanks for all the replies . I'm good with the written rules and don't want a shoot em up lease. My issue is we've had a couple of guys send pics of deer while hunting and been told not to shoot , or couldn't get a reply .This is with both trophy and culls based off pictures. Then later come into camp to be told thats not the deer they thought it was. ( just plants a seed of doubt) if the deer meets criteria for the written rule why muddy the waters. Most of the time on a mature deer you don't get a 20 minute photo op, you judge you shoot or pass.

Last edited by NOCOOLNAMETOO; 08/18/20 12:06 PM.
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940481 08/18/20 12:12 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
It sounds more like raising livestock that hunting wild game to me. But then, this is Texas.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide