Print Thread
New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions #7924231 08/05/20 01:22 AM
J
Jzappa Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Hello, I'm a new hunter who is preparing to participate in the 20-21 season and I had a few questions that I was unable to find or missed on the TPWD website:

1. If you're quartering in the field, where do you attach the tag to and how do you provide "proof of sex"?

2. Once quartered, how do you dispose of the rest of the carcass, do you have to take it with you? (probably related to q.1)

3. Is quartering recommended for new hunters?

Thanks, I've learned a lot from this forum so far. I appreciate everyone's time!

Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7924248 08/05/20 01:37 AM
R
Ratherbefishing Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R

Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7924263 08/05/20 01:49 AM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
welcome

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7924331 08/05/20 02:28 AM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
Whenever I quarter a deer in the field and throw in a cooler, I just attach the tag to the handle of the cooler until I get home. You can dispose of everything but the head after that- you have to have proof of sex until you get to your final destination whether it is your home or the processor. Make sure you fill out the hunter's log on the back of the license- that gets hunters in more trouble than anything with the game warden.

Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7924337 08/05/20 02:36 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
welcome

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7924435 08/05/20 04:15 AM
J
Jzappa Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Thanks for the information and the warm welcome guys, hoping to be a regular here!

Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7924464 08/05/20 07:02 AM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Also, make sure to cut out the date on the tag, not just mark it out. That will get you too. Russia is giving good info. Welcome to the forum and hunting. Stay safe and enjoy the outdoors.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7924484 08/05/20 11:06 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
If it is a doe I puncture a hole in the ear and using a zip tie to secure it, buck zip tie to the base of the Antlers.
The Number 1 thing a new hunter forgets is to fill out the game log on the back of your license when you kill a deer.

welcome

texas flag

Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7924528 08/05/20 12:07 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
welcome
Make sure you take care of hunters ed requirements first. Tag the heads is what we do in Central Texas. In South Texas we have the deer inspected for ticks and then get document that we use as proof of sex so we don't have to haul heads around if we don't want to.

Last edited by hook_n_line; 08/05/20 12:10 PM.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Stub] #7924641 08/05/20 01:48 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Stub
If it is a doe I puncture a hole in the ear and using a zip tie to secure it, buck zip tie to the base of the Antlers.
The Number 1 thing a new hunter forgets is to fill out the game log on the back of your license when you kill a deer.

welcome

I do this and you need to tag the animal and fill out the log first before you move the animal from the kill spot

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7924720 08/05/20 02:58 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
First of all, welcome to the hunting community, glad to have a new member! I always tag the head (around the antler with a zip tie if it's a buck, around a slit cut into the ear with a zip tie if its a doe) and then bring it with me. My preference is NOT to quarter a deer in the field if I can avoid it, but if you're hunting by yourself or away from roads and you need to process the animal to protect the meat, then you may have to. My advice is to carry a small light tarp in your pack to lay the animal on, one or two very sharp knives so you can quarter the deer quickly, and some of those game bags to put the meat in to protect it and keep it clean and ventilated. Rear quarters, backstraps, tenderloins, front shoulders and neck meat, and don't forget the heart! If you anticipate having to quarter a deer then invest in a good pack and make sure you're in shape, it gets heavy quick, especially in rough terrain. If you're going to be walking long distances back to the truck/cooler, consider de-boning the quarters and shoulders before packing it, it will cut down the weight significantly.

Good luck this season, don't get hung up on pursuing big bucks, ANY deer taken is a blessing and a victory and a good supply of meat. Enjoy the experience and the hunt itself, that's what matters!

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Exiled] #7924899 08/05/20 04:52 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Exiled
First of all, welcome to the hunting community, glad to have a new member! I always tag the head (around the antler with a zip tie if it's a buck, around a slit cut into the ear with a zip tie if its a doe) and then bring it with me. My preference is NOT to quarter a deer in the field if I can avoid it, but if you're hunting by yourself or away from roads and you need to process the animal to protect the meat, then you may have to. My advice is to carry a small light tarp in your pack to lay the animal on, one or two very sharp knives so you can quarter the deer quickly, and some of those game bags to put the meat in to protect it and keep it clean and ventilated. Rear quarters, backstraps, tenderloins, front shoulders and neck meat, and don't forget the heart! If you anticipate having to quarter a deer then invest in a good pack and make sure you're in shape, it gets heavy quick, especially in rough terrain. If you're going to be walking long distances back to the truck/cooler, consider de-boning the quarters and shoulders before packing it, it will cut down the weight significantly.

Good luck this season, don't get hung up on pursuing big bucks, ANY deer taken is a blessing and a victory and a good supply of meat. Enjoy the experience and the hunt itself, that's what matters!

Lots of good advice here. But, wait until you get home to debone any meat.

Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7925107 08/05/20 08:27 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Two things that often get missed...

1. It'll illegal to de-bone deer in camp because it makes it more difficult for TPWD officers to determine how many deer have been taken. (Also noted earlier)

2. If you give any of the meat to others, you need to complete and give them a TPWD Wildlife Resource Document so that if they're checked, they'll have a legal record of the harvest. This forum isn't easy to find on the TWPD website so I've posted a link to it below. You'll need to include your information so a TPWD officer will know who actually harvested the animal.

TPWD Wildlife Resource Document

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/05/20 08:44 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7925257 08/05/20 11:01 PM
C
cm250 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Plus, don’t forget to cut out the date notches on the tag attached to the deer. Another thing game wardens will get you for if not done. Didn’t see this in any other posts unless I missed it. Hadn’t ever forgotten myself, but watching Lone Star Law, one of there big ticket items and I understand why.

My Yote toys,
Ruger 77 22-250
Foxpro 416B & numerous hand calls
God would never send Firefighters to Hell because we would put the fire out!
Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7925460 08/06/20 01:24 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
In my hunting pack, I carry a fingernail scissors, a extra flashlight, reading glasses, and at least two pens, one being a sharpie. These are for the deer tag, and filling out the back of the license. I use the scissors to cut out the notches. They are small, also hard to see. Tag the deer ASAP. As mentioned, zip ties work great for the tag. Leave the guts etc, on the ground. Do not remove the meat from the quarters, unless you are eating some at camp. I carry a plastic table cloth, in case I quarter the deer in the field. I get mine at Dollar Tree. Pay attention to which tag you are using, and choose the correct one. Good luck. If you can, I suggest going with an experienced hunter.

Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7925806 08/06/20 02:40 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Good tip on the plastic table cloth, Brother Phil. This one has gotten me a couple of times out in Colorado.

Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7928989 08/09/20 04:33 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
For what it is worth, I think i is pretty dumb to make someone bring out the entire head of any deer. There are other ways to leave evidence of sex attacked and all you need on a buck to determine if the antlers are legal are the antlers. I would much rather leave the head in the bushes so I don't have to dispose of it later. On a doe I could leave the tit attached to a hind leg to prove it is a doe. You can leave a nut attached on a buck to prove the same thing. I also think you should be able to bone one out in the field as long as one piece has evidence of sex. This is what I do in my native CO with deer, elk and pronghorn, leave the bones/hide/head/guts where it falls and just bring out the edible meat.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7929952 08/10/20 01:51 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Jzappa
Hello, I'm a new hunter who is preparing to participate in the 20-21 season and I had a few questions that I was unable to find or missed on the TPWD website:

1. If you're quartering in the field, where do you attach the tag to and how do you provide "proof of sex"?

2. Once quartered, how do you dispose of the rest of the carcass, do you have to take it with you? (probably related to q.1)

3. Is quartering recommended for new hunters?

Thanks, I've learned a lot from this forum so far. I appreciate everyone's time!

1. If I'm quartering one up and putting it in an ice chest I always have small zip lock bags and simply put the tag in one and drop it in to the cooler with the meat. If you are checked the GW will appreciate being able to easily read a clean tag when he/she pulls it out of the baggie.
a) make sure to cut out the dates, have the tag signed, and fill out the harvest log on the back of your license!
2. I never had the garbage company ever not take my trash, even when there were multiple carcasses in trash cans and trash bags.
3. Quartering a deer is very simple to do. There are plenty of youtube clips to help you through the process. Once you've done a few it will take you no time to get it done.

Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
For what it is worth, I think i is pretty dumb to make someone bring out the entire head of any deer. There are other ways to leave evidence of sex attacked and all you need on a buck to determine if the antlers are legal are the antlers. I would much rather leave the head in the bushes so I don't have to dispose of it later. On a doe I could leave the tit attached to a hind leg to prove it is a doe. You can leave a nut attached on a buck to prove the same thing. I also think you should be able to bone one out in the field as long as one piece has evidence of sex. This is what I do in my native CO with deer, elk and pronghorn, leave the bones/hide/head/guts where it falls and just bring out the edible meat.

I've never found it all that difficult to dispose of the heads of them once I'm at home.

As far as being able to de-bone in the field, I've never wanted to. IMHO it is much easier to simply put all the quarters, backstraps, tenderloins, and neck trimmings in an ice chest and ice it down.
I'd much rather do the final cleaning and de-boning at home in my meat room than in the field.
Plus, I think leaving the meat on ice a day or two helps to draw out the blood and makes for better eating whether it be sausage or deep fried backstrap.

Last edited by ILUVBIGBUCKS; 08/10/20 01:54 PM.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7930111 08/10/20 03:41 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I can definitely see QMC SW/EXW point with native deer/elk in his native CO ... Mule deer and Elk are pretty big animals and often times they can be miles back in the boonies where you have pack stuff out on multiple trips at altitude nonetheless. So I can see leaving as much of the carcass behind as possible.

for the majority of WT in Texas, dragging a short distance, loading in a vehicle and taking to some place more convenient is by far the preferred route, at least for me.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Jzappa] #7930251 08/10/20 05:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
welcome Read the regs in the link posted above and the regs on tagging a deer. I tag my immediately when I find it and before I clean it or move it. I keep small sandwich plastic bags to put the filled out tag into and then I use black electrical tape to attach the tag to the deer. Lastly, fill out the harvest log on the back of your license after you fill out the tag.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #7930330 08/10/20 05:58 PM
B
Buccaneer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
all you need on a buck to determine if the antlers are legal are the antlers. I would much rather leave the head in the bushes so I don't have to dispose of it later.

Whoa, that could be some bad advice for someone. If a hunter is in an antler restricted county (13" rule), this could get them in a lot of trouble as a game warden may not be able to clearly tell if buck was legal or not without the antlers still attached to head.

Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: Buccaneer] #7940145 08/18/20 01:28 AM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
all you need on a buck to determine if the antlers are legal are the antlers. I would much rather leave the head in the bushes so I don't have to dispose of it later.

Whoa, that could be some bad advice for someone. If a hunter is in an antler restricted county (13" rule), this could get them in a lot of trouble as a game warden may not be able to clearly tell if buck was legal or not without the antlers still attached to head.

Learn to read. I never said someone should do this. I said it is possible to prove the antlers are legal without bringing the whole head out. In TX you have to bring the head and I acknowledged TX law in my post. All I said was there are other ways to do it without making a hunter bring the whole head out. I suggest you go back and read the whole post again and don't try to accuse me of saying somebody should do something illegal. I said the way CO does it.

Retired Navy Chief
Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #7941138 08/18/20 09:54 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

How do you prove a legal bull in an antler restricted unit?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: New Hunter - Tagging and Quartering questions [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7944220 08/20/20 11:37 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

How do you prove a legal bull in an antler restricted unit?

Bring out the antlers. Saw them off the head. All you need is a little piece of bone, not the whole head. everybody I know that hunts elk and deer carries a small folding bone saw for that reason. Antlers weigh a lot less than the whole head. Leave it for the coyotes to chew on.

Retired Navy Chief
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide