Print Thread
Hunts gone wrong #7935196 08/14/20 02:41 PM
S
StrungOutOutdoors Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Anything that could go wrong last season did! Got some cool footage of us killing a timber rattlesnake in this vid too

Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7935206 08/14/20 02:46 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7935228 08/14/20 03:00 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Thankfully, I've never had a hunt go wrong. However, I'll never forget the night I spent two hours parked on an East Texas highway waiting for a fatality accident to get cleared. Watching two helicopters fly in and take off and a hearse drive slowing past you makes you realize the real danger isn't so much in the woods where you're headed but during the drive to get there and back.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/14/20 03:00 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7935247 08/14/20 03:09 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
From TPWD..." Today, every state inhabited by timber rattlesnakes has laws protecting the species, including Texas. In Texas, it is listed as a threatened species. This means that people cannot take, transport, have in their possession or sell timber rattlesnakes."
hammer

Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7935253 08/14/20 03:12 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Fortunately I've only had one memorable one, that I would say went wrong. Hunting elk by myself in winter, slid off road into creek, and ended up walking out 26 miles to town and a phone!!!

Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: unclebubba] #7935388 08/14/20 04:53 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by unclebubba
From TPWD..." Today, every state inhabited by timber rattlesnakes has laws protecting the species, including Texas. In Texas, it is listed as a threatened species. This means that people cannot take, transport, have in their possession or sell timber rattlesnakes."
hammer

It was filmed in Georgia.....

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7935401 08/14/20 04:57 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH
hammer

They are protected there too....

I was wrong, not protected in GA

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7936082 08/14/20 11:56 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
hammer

Ahhh! Did not now it was in GA. GA has some good hunting. I hunted there when I lived in FL.

Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7936098 08/15/20 12:13 AM
J
jakebunch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Duck hunting. Water was iced over. While wading, tripped over unseen obstacle under water. Filled waders up. Two different hunts, same outcome.

I do not duck hunt anymore.

Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7938901 08/17/20 08:17 AM
S
StrungOutOutdoors Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Yea, all poisonous snakes are legal to kill in Ga

Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7943612 08/20/20 04:24 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I missed a doe once at 10 yards. I didn't see the edge of the popup's window screen and it caught the fletching and redirected the arrow int the feeder leg instead. All I found were the knock, feathers and a bunch of splinters. bang

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7943666 08/20/20 05:11 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
long story short ... hunting private land in Norther NM for MD, hunted hard in 10-12 inches of snow, about day 3 busted out on one of the pasture roads to meet my dad driving down from up high, I spot a monster MD bedded under a tree on the far side of a canyon. Dad shows up, I crawl up in the bed of the truck to get a solid rest, my dad is looking thru his binos and said are you sure that's not an elk (as I stated, it was HUGE), nope MD and a big one. We both eye ball ranged (before range finders) at between 500 and 600 yards. I knew my ballistics out to 800 (but not at high elevation), leveled off and shot. Dad said you went over the top of his back by an inch or so (based on the snow flying up behind the deer), The deer jump up to standing broadside. I adjusted and shot again. He went down hard but struggled back to his feet and disappeared behind some brush. Dad watching thru his binos said looked like a solid hit, middle shoulder. We drive about 1/2 mile back up the mountain to get around the head of the canyon. I take off and find where he was when I shot, lots of blood & hair, dad shows up a couple minutes later. We start tracking the blood trail. He was headed down hill with blood gushing every time he hit the ground. There were several places he fell down and slide in the snow with even more blood. We tracked him over a mile downhill with numerous falls. We get down to another pasture road to find where he fell and slid into the far embankment, then drag marks over to tire tracks with at least 2 sets of human tracks where they drug and loaded MY deer. Remember this was private property but there were a bunch of poachers that would remove the signage at the various gates and come on in. I was p!ssed to say the least. We left and headed to town to find a game warden to report. He came out to investigate, totally understood what happened and found a "no trespassing/private property" sign tossed about 20' from one of the gates. Said there was really nothing he could do since the signage was not on the gate, some dumb NM law regarding that.

LOL, okay, maybe not so short after all.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7943725 08/20/20 05:47 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
bang

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7943756 08/20/20 06:06 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Man that sucketh.

Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7943765 08/20/20 06:12 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I haven't hunted NM much, but there seems to be a disproportionate percentage of scum poachers. "We're lost," but you see them several times "lost". rifle

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: PMK] #7944137 08/20/20 10:30 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted by PMK
long story short ... hunting private land in Norther NM for MD, hunted hard in 10-12 inches of snow, about day 3 busted out on one of the pasture roads to meet my dad driving down from up high, I spot a monster MD bedded under a tree on the far side of a canyon. Dad shows up, I crawl up in the bed of the truck to get a solid rest, my dad is looking thru his binos and said are you sure that's not an elk (as I stated, it was HUGE), nope MD and a big one. We both eye ball ranged (before range finders) at between 500 and 600 yards. I knew my ballistics out to 800 (but not at high elevation), leveled off and shot. Dad said you went over the top of his back by an inch or so (based on the snow flying up behind the deer), The deer jump up to standing broadside. I adjusted and shot again. He went down hard but struggled back to his feet and disappeared behind some brush. Dad watching thru his binos said looked like a solid hit, middle shoulder. We drive about 1/2 mile back up the mountain to get around the head of the canyon. I take off and find where he was when I shot, lots of blood & hair, dad shows up a couple minutes later. We start tracking the blood trail. He was headed down hill with blood gushing every time he hit the ground. There were several places he fell down and slide in the snow with even more blood. We tracked him over a mile downhill with numerous falls. We get down to another pasture road to find where he fell and slid into the far embankment, then drag marks over to tire tracks with at least 2 sets of human tracks where they drug and loaded MY deer. Remember this was private property but there were a bunch of poachers that would remove the signage at the various gates and come on in. I was p!ssed to say the least. We left and headed to town to find a game warden to report. He came out to investigate, totally understood what happened and found a "no trespassing/private property" sign tossed about 20' from one of the gates. Said there was really nothing he could do since the signage was not on the gate, some dumb NM law regarding that.

LOL, okay, maybe not so short after all.

I was waiting for well it was an ELK recovery...hunt gone bad, lol

Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7945780 08/22/20 11:53 AM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Back when I was a po college student at SHSU, I had an old riveted aluminum boat with a 20 hp evinrude, and I was a duck slaying fool (well okay the fool part is accurate). One cold, dark morning I was full throttling up the Trinity River to my duck blind, a trip I had made dozens of times. Well, I must have been a little off course. because in one moment I was running full speed, and the following I was wet, and C.O.L.D.
I had hit a snag, running wide open. The boat came to a full and immediate stop, I did my best impression of Greg Louganis, and I managed to bust several rivets and open about a 4 inch seam in the hull. Luckily that a) the water wasn't but about 3 1/2 feet deep, b) I hadn't pulled on my waders yet, and c) my dog was unscathed.
That was a frigid ride back to the boat ramp, steering with one hand and bailing with the other.
ETA I know this is the deer hunting subforum, but the thread just said hunts gone wrong not deer hunts gone wrong

Last edited by Kevin Heath; 08/22/20 11:55 AM.

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7945813 08/22/20 01:03 PM
R
Retired and hunting Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
My BIL had a similar situation in Colorado,we used to go up and and hunt with him every year in the 90's and early 2000's.anyway we hunted units 71 and 711, and one fine morning he thought he had tagged out his cow and bull,we all gathered up and helped load the huge cow elk and his son and I started trailing the bull in the snow.He had poked him at about 60 yards with his 7mag and we were trailing definite lung blood in the snow,we were about halfway down the ridge and heard a truck fire up and take off.when we got to the small forestry road all we had for our efforts was a gut pile

Don't know where I'm goin but I'm makin good time
Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: Retired and hunting] #7945818 08/22/20 01:09 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Retired and hunting
My BIL had a similar situation in Colorado,we used to go up and and hunt with him every year in the 90's and early 2000's.anyway we hunted units 71 and 711, and one fine morning he thought he had tagged out his cow and bull,we all gathered up and helped load the huge cow elk and his son and I started trailing the bull in the snow.He had poked him at about 60 yards with his 7mag and we were trailing definite lung blood in the snow,we were about halfway down the ridge and heard a truck fire up and take off.when we got to the small forestry road all we had for our efforts was a gut pile

Hunting "out west" has huge benefits. This is one of the down-sides. I can't fathom what it takes to lie and tell all your redneck buddies about your "kill" that you actually stole from a real hunter.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: StrungOutOutdoors] #7945825 08/22/20 01:15 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Was hunting between Beeville and Refugio near Medio Creek. A prior rain had left some pockets of mud here and there. When I got to the P/U after walking back in from the blind, I took off my backpack and put it in the truck bed. I laid the 270 down on the truck box. Took off my coat and relieved myself. Got in the truck and started it up. Drove by a mud puddle and had to swerve around it. Heard the unmistakable sound of the 270 sliding off the truck box. It went barrel first into the puddle and stuck there perfectly (straight up & down) like a spear in a target. The gun wasn't hurt, but it was definitely plugged up.

Re: Hunts gone wrong [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7945876 08/22/20 01:51 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
hammer

And as of this year no longer on the threatened list in Texas
https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/fids/202001043-1.pdf
https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedback/meetings/2020/0123/agenda/item_02/index.phtml

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide