Forums46
Topics536,997
Posts9,719,289
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 38 of 44 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 43 44
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7765390 03/07/20 02:40 PM
HuntingTexas Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
New year, new discoveries. Whatcha find?

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7765793 03/08/20 01:16 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
OK I’ll go first this year. A long time ago I hunted a ranch south of Sonora, TX. Got a chance to go unexpectedly one week and as I pulled into camp there was only one truck and I didn’t recognize it. As my headlights swept across my trailer a guy with no shirt on and holding his pants up came out of my door followed by a mostly undressed very voluptuous young lady. He was pulling her by the hand and yelling “I’m sorry man, Joe said it would be OK” as they jumped in his truck and sped off.

It happened so fast I was still in shock as I was enjoying the vision of that half dressed young woman. Long story but Joe was always cooking breakfast for us when we were there. He would never accept money but he ALWAYS asked when we were going to be there so he would know “ how much food to bring “. I guess offering out our trailer was one reasons. The other reason was we found out he was inviting his friends to hunt our stands when we weren’t there.

We were hunting a 3 man 800 acre pasture on a 10,000 acre ranch.

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7768307 03/11/20 01:43 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Bump

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7924117 08/04/20 11:48 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Bring

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7924118 08/04/20 11:48 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Us

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7924119 08/04/20 11:49 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
More

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7924121 08/04/20 11:49 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

" In God We Trust "

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7925232 08/05/20 10:38 PM
D
Dimitri Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Very interesting thread.

I haven't found anything really old like some of you guys have.

I have found many wire snares over the years - normally set along fence-lines or in gamepaths going through thick bush. I once found a duiker ram in a snare and I called the landowner and we released it. On another occasion I found the carcasses of 3 mountain reedbuck along a 50m stretch of fence. The poacher who set the snares did not even bother to check them and take the meat.

I found my gold cross in the grass when I happened to cross my trail on the way back to the vehicle after a day's hunting.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Simple Searcher] #7926408 08/06/20 11:32 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Heck of story decook. That was fun to read

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7926663 08/07/20 02:39 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Found this thread and read 21 pages. Very interesting maybe we will have some more comments.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7928501 08/09/20 01:51 AM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
2-3 years ago I was dove hunting around 9 am late Sept. in either Graham or Ponder (I know.... but can't remember....) sitting on my stool looking at a 25 acre field. Dove hunting that year was awful, so I was on my own. All of a sudden the earth started shaking and the ground was moving under my feet. Absolutely disconcerting. My first and only earthquake. Heard it was a 5 or something close to that on the news.

I know I've found some interesting things over the years hunting the woods of Ms, GA, AL, Tx... hopefully anything truly cool will jog my memory to post here.

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7933106 08/12/20 09:20 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Permit hunting back in the early 90's in Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky. Ran across a old still on the side of a ridge, Concreted in with copper still in place. Didn't know if it was operational but got out of there pretty quick, those hillbilly's don't mess around!

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7933749 08/13/20 12:15 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Can across an old still while coon hunting near Chalk Mountain. Land owner said it was his uncle’s who made shine during prohibition.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7933758 08/13/20 12:31 PM
R
rob valle Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Our family owns about 70 acres near Montell, TX. My dad's feeder has been in the same spot for nearly 20 years. We placed it on the only level spot we could find on the side of a hill facing his blind. As the years went by, the animals removed most of the topsoil as they fed on the corn. The area under the feeder now is mostly exposed limestone. Two years ago my wife went with us to help fill feeders. As I was dumping corn in, she starts looking around and notices what is defiantly a fossilized skeleton of some animal in the limestone. We could not see a skull, but there is a legbone for sure. A few minutes later she finds an arrowhead in the same area! We are headed up there on Saturday, I'll try and post of a pic of the fossil so y'all can see it.

Rob Valle
www.hillcotaxidermy.com
Originally Posted by Texsun
The three things you need in life are a good doctor, lawyer and taxidermist.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Halfadozen] #7933839 08/13/20 01:50 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted by Halfadozen
Permit hunting back in the early 90's in Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky. Ran across a old still on the side of a ridge, Concreted in with copper still in place. Didn't know if it was operational but got out of there pretty quick, those hillbilly's don't mess around!

I was riding my horse in the Sam Houston National Forest between Huntsville and New Waverly, when all the sudden I was shoulder high (on a horse), in a marijuana field Turned that horse right around and hauled buns outta there!

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Kevin Heath] #7933878 08/13/20 02:28 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Kevin Heath
Originally Posted by Halfadozen

I was riding my horse in the Sam Houston National Forest between Huntsville and New Waverly, when all the sudden I was shoulder high (on a horse), in a marijuana field Turned that horse right around and hauled buns outta there!

Yeah be careful out there...a lot of wacky tobaccky being grown in them guvmint woods.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Mr. T.] #7935522 08/14/20 05:52 PM
2000cbr929 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
This story reminds me of pulp Fiction

Your great-grandfather gave this watch to your granddad for good luck. Unfortunately, Dane's luck wasn't as good as his old man's. Dane was a Marine and he was killed -- along with all the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. Your granddad was facing death. He knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leavin' that island alive, so three days before the Japanese took the island, your granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport, name of Winocki - a man he had never met before in his life - to deliver to his infant son who he'd never seen in the flesh, his gold watch. Three days later, your granddad was dead, but Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father his dad's gold watch. This watch. (He held the watch up - and paused) This watch was on your daddy's wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew that if the gooks ever saw the watch, it'd be confiscated and taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slope's gonna put their greasy, yellow hands on his boy's birthright, so he hid it in one place he knew he could hide something - his [censored]. Five long years he wore this watch up his [censored]. Then, he died of dysen
tery. He gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my [censored] two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. Now, little man, I give the watch to you.

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by Erathkid
Not hunting related but, here goes. After my Grandparents moved to assisted living, Dad and I were cleaning out the drawers at their home, among other things. I came across a gold plated pocket watch that was given to Grandad by my Grandmother. It was polished smooth but the gold plate was worn off.

Seems she had given this to him as a wedding gift, my Dad explained. The watch had a picture of my Mimi tucked inside the cover. WW2 had just started and Grandad was shipped overseas. He got caught behind German lines on a recon mission. Knowing that anything of value would be stripped from him, he made a tough decision. He would hide the watch up in his rectum. The GIs were marched into a detention camp 20 odd kilometers away, a very long way to go with a foreign object up your tooter. At least he knew Mimi was warm and secure. After the fall of the Third Reich he was carried back to the states. He wasn't doing well, due to not going to the bathroom for weeks.

He drank Milk of magnesia and the rumbling began. He screamed, "Katie bar the door", as he lunged for the toilet. After the explosion and the smoke cleared, he came out of the bathroom grinning like a Cheshire cat.. he was holding 6 gold nuggets. Largest the size of a gumball, smallest the size of a "big Mo" #4 pencil eraser. Doctors told us later that the gold plate combined with heat and pressure had created a metallurgical alchemy not unlike that of a grain of sand irritating an oyster to create a beautiful pearl.

They used the proceeds from the gold to pay cash for their first home in the "M" street neighborhood of Dallas. Paid $4800 in 1946. The appraisal this year on that home is close to 500k. RKO pictures made a documentary about my Granddad called, "G I time traveler", the untold story of 'Choc' Sanders. Errol Flynn played my Grandpa. Anyhow, I can't wait to tell my Grandkids about it when they're old enough to understand. That man was full of metal, error, mettle, rather.

Great Story! up

After eating Payne's sausage I don't know if I can go back to the regular store bought stuff.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money" Tom T Hall
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7950873 08/26/20 06:57 PM
S
Startfireman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
On the last weekend of deer season last year at our lease in a gravel road I found a class ring. It had been damaged but I was able to determine that it was from Brady HS in TX and the year was 1956. After doing some research, I was able to find the family of the original owner of the ring. I was able to return it to them an they were able to get it repaired.

Out of respect for the family, I will keep the names withheld.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7951860 08/27/20 02:35 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Thanks, 2000cbr929, for pointing this out. Looks like Quentin Tarantino may have plagiarized my Grandad's story. I will be contacting an attorney.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7951925 08/27/20 03:19 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Buzzsaw's talking about finding space craft around Van Horn might have been the remains of a B1 bomber that flew into the side of a tall cliff out there, had a Major friend that was there to help investigate the crash. He said the whole side of the mountain covered 99% of the wreck. Said 2 days after the crash that the fire was still burning below the slide. Only human remains found was a mans wrist with watch on it. Sad deal for sure.

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7951931 08/27/20 03:28 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I may have posted this before. I've been in a tornado, an earthquake and saw the space shuttle explode above my head, way above my head, then saw the "sparklers" as it came falling down. All in Erath county at our property. All of these things have made a lasting impression on me.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: rob valle] #7952864 08/28/20 12:40 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by rob valle
Our family owns about 70 acres near Montell, TX. My dad's feeder has been in the same spot for nearly 20 years. We placed it on the only level spot we could find on the side of a hill facing his blind. As the years went by, the animals removed most of the topsoil as they fed on the corn. The area under the feeder now is mostly exposed limestone. Two years ago my wife went with us to help fill feeders. As I was dumping corn in, she starts looking around and notices what is defiantly a fossilized skeleton of some animal in the limestone. We could not see a skull, but there is a legbone for sure. A few minutes later she finds an arrowhead in the same area! We are headed up there on Saturday, I'll try and post of a pic of the fossil so y'all can see it.

Where's this pic? This sounds awesome!

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7954061 08/29/20 03:02 PM
E
Emaykus Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
This is a snake den we found on our place a few years after we bought it. Always drive by, but occasionally with some liquid courage we get out to look around.

Snake Den in SE Coleman County/Rockwood Texas

Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: Emaykus] #7955418 08/30/20 09:09 PM
O
Ox190 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by Emaykus
This is a snake den we found on our place a few years after we bought it. Always drive by, but occasionally with some liquid courage we get out to look around.

Snake Den in SE Coleman County/Rockwood Texas

Do people pay money for them alive?

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Unusual things you have found while hunting [Re: panch0] #7971219 09/12/20 08:44 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Bump

LETS GO BRANDON
Page 38 of 44 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 43 44
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide