Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. #7932817 08/12/20 05:34 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Mine was in 1987, it was 1,300 acres in Cass county just west of Atlanta, TX, suppose to be only 13 hunters with no guest and especially No Wives or Girlfriends!! No one other than the 13 paid hunters on the lease period at anytime during the deer hunting season.

Okay it is Saturday morning opening day around 8:00 am, I am in my tripod and the only thing I had seen up to that point was a huge Coyote that I thought was a German Shepherd until something spooked it was gone? All of the sudden I am hearing voices and thinking E.TX poachers right confused2
Nope it was one of the guys on our lease with his wife having a nice casual conversation taking a stroll through my hunting area hammer
Yes I did give them a hard time mad

Several of us from work were on the lease and our manager at the time lived in Las Colinas and he was also the lease boss who was originally from Texarkana, he had a couple of his brothers who lived either in or by Texarkana were on the lease also.
There is no telling how many of their other family and friends were out there all week while we were in Dallas working, these folks did not adhere to any game laws.

We all liked to have fun and party but these cats took it to a whole nutha level muyloco
I shot one doe and decided not to join them on the lease again.

Last edited by Stub; 08/12/20 05:36 PM.

texas flag

Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7932833 08/12/20 05:40 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Oh Don't even get me started. It makes my blood boil on this topic. Thus for my sake, I'm passing bolt

Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7932844 08/12/20 05:54 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sisterdale lease in the '80's. Our company's corporate lease. Lots of customer stories, some funny, some not so. One guy with Houston, Lighting, and Power would take forever to come out to the Bronco to go out in the mornings. He'd be in the bathroom a long time, mostly applying hair dye and cologne. You could smell him a mile away. We put him in a tower blind and he said a buck circled round and round the blind, lifting his head up and sniffing. roflmao

Another customer with Central Power and Light shot a doe. When we came to pick him up, he said he'd need help cleaning her. Apparently he started to clean her and she reared up her head and looked at him. He threw up. Then he shot her in the back of the head with his .22. Then he started again. She raised her head up again. He threw up again. And shot her again with his .22. Apparently she finally died from embarrassment. rofl This is the same guy that wouldn't get the gate when I was taking him out, rainy and cold. realmad

Close friend of mine at church asked me to be on a lease with him and I was on it for 1 year before the countryside burned up. 20 guys. One cook shack. And they all relieved themselves about 40 yards behind the cook shack. No outhouse. They didn't even dig a cat hole. Just crap on the ground. TP blowing everywhere. barf loco

I remember hearing the bar bottles rattle in the morning before everyone else got up on that corporate lease. Guy with Texas Utilities. Poor bastard. We had to watch him like a hawk.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Creekrunner] #7932848 08/12/20 05:56 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Sisterdale lease in the '80's. Our company's corporate lease. Lots of customer stories, some funny, some not so. One guy with Houston, Lighting, and Power would take forever to come out to the Bronco to go out in the mornings. He'd be in the bathroom a long time, mostly applying hair dye and cologne. You could smell him a mile away. We put him in a tower blind and he said a buck circled round and round the blind, lifting his head up and sniffing. roflmao

Another customer with Central Power and Light shot a doe. When we came to pick him up, he said he'd need help cleaning her. Apparently he started to clean her and she reared up her head and looked at him. He threw up. Then he shot her in the back of the head with his .22. Then he started again. She raised her head up again. He threw up again. And shot her again with his .22. Apparently she finally died from embarrassment. rofl This is the same guy that wouldn't get the gate when I was taking him out, rainy and cold. realmad

Close friend of mine at church asked me to be on a lease with him and I was on it for 1 year before the countryside burned up. 20 guys. One cook shack. And they all relieved themselves about 40 yards behind the cook shack. No outhouse. They didn't even dig a cat hole. Just crap on the ground. TP blowing everywhere. barf loco

I remember hearing the bar bottles rattle in the morning before everyone else got up on that corporate lease. Guy with Texas Utilities. Poor bastard. We had to watch him like a hawk.

This is hilarious

Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7932875 08/12/20 06:22 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
1200 acres where the owner lived on. He had a buddy living in an old house on the property. Every Friday night there was a party. The guy would invite some family members out on the holidays. They were a bunch of outlaws and poachers for sure. They would be driving down the road at sunset and shoot at deer off the road. I never new them but man did they stir the neighbors up until one lady met them on the road one night blocked it with a combine then called GW and sheriff. It was a sight to see.

Another south Texas lease some of the oil field workers decided they could hunt during the week since the paid paying lease guys weren't there. They said that one of the supervisors told them they could hunt and all their projects were shut down and the company was run off for all types of violations. We would be in the stand when a truck would roll up ruin a hunt. All that was changed.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7932890 08/12/20 06:36 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I feel like there are two types of people:

Guys who truly enjoy the hunt and are there to bag game ( or enjoy others who are like minded ) and guys who go out to act a fool, make a bunch of ruckus and get out of hand.

Some of these stories of other “ hunters “ people have had to suffer are terrible.

I’ve only been a part of two leases. Both leases were ok and were with friends/family and nothing got too out of control.

I recently sold a ranch to a friend who the previous owner leased to a group of plant workers from Corpus. These guys were heavy drinkers but I don’t think a beer can ever left the ranch. Every single ranch road was littered with cans, there was bucket loads of .223 brass out in front of the barn. Tons of rubbish everywhere. Those guys must have been some real gems to be around in camp

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #7933097 08/12/20 09:13 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
Oh Don't even get me started. It makes my blood boil on this topic. Thus for my sake, I'm passing bolt

With you, it's one thing managing the lease, another managing the drama.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7933155 08/12/20 09:56 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Where's the guy on here that watched through his binoculars a lease mate get frisky with his wife/gf? Great story, written well. Was it on the hood of a vehicle, or is my memory embellishing?

I've related on here before how the LO asked me to help him go down to another windmill, pick up a garden tiller and help him lift it out at his house where they were starting a new garden beside the house. ("House" is a very loose term in this case.) As we pulled up, 'seems his then wife was working on something else besides her garden - her full body tan. She grabbed a bathmat on the clothesline and ran inside. He just hollered "Caught ya!" and didn't mention another word. There've been times I've seriously envied that crazy bastard, although I'm not sure I could have handled their "couples weekend", if you catch my meaning. I did come across his weed patch. Then it was my turn to not say a word; hunting Turkey I think it was.

And, I have to say, aside from the two days that my daughters were born, the happiest day of my life so far was on that lease with my current wife. Spring - filling feeders, cold left-over backstrap, a killer Cabernet, a running creek, a large, flat rock in the middle of it, and...a gentleman stops here. 'Place has been sold and busted up. Life goes on. But I'll always have memories in "Ghost Canyon". banana

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7933189 08/12/20 10:20 PM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Was on a place in Sutton County we located from a lease broker (I know. Lesson learned). It was an old family ranch that had been split up between 3 or 4 older siblings.Lease broker told us our portion was 1600 acres. That's what we paid for The older white gentleman that owned it lived there and had a young hispanic kid living there that he claimed was his son. Found out it was not his son. People in town would ask where we were hunting, and when we told them, would look at us kind of funny and change the subject. Found out from a local that the owner was gay. Not that there is anything wrong with that. The kid we speculated was his piece of _ss. Found out the kid was from California. No idea what kind of trouble he must have been in to hook up with an old geezer in the middle of nowhere Texas. Oh, and then the owner told us the place was 1200 acres. He was just as pissed at the broker as we were. We stayed the one year and moved on.

Hunted another place north of Bracketville one year. The owner claimed there were lots of deer and nice bucks. Showed us pictures of some of the bucks taken in the past. The place was once set up to hunt corporate hunters and had good accommodations. It also had some free ranging exotic sheep. It did not take long to determine the deer numbers were really low. It turned out to be more of a hog and sheep lease. We found out the ranch had been hit by anthrax a few years earlier. The owner knew and never told us.
Almost every time we were there, there were illegals seen or evidence that illegals had recently been there. One time we got to camp and they had made a huge mess of the camp house with food eaten and thrown everywhere. Another time we found a tower blind they had knocked over so they could build a fire next to it and sleep in. We caught them one time camping from the smoke from their campfire. I had an old Chevy K-5 Blazer that looked similar to the ones the border patrol used back then. We hauled [censored] toward their camp and they went scattering leaving some of their clothes. We tried to stake it out for awhile to see if they would return to get what they left, but finally gave up. We discarded the clothes. Another time, we found one wandering around, and he was sick as a dog. My buddy that was with me speaks pretty good spanish and he said his group had left him because he was sick. Thought he might have had malaria. We kept our distance, gave him some water, and told him adios.
Lastly, this was the year of hurricane Charley that flooded the area surrounding Del Rio. 3 of our hunters woke up to about 6 inches of water in the camphouse. They were stranded and had no cell service back then (it was over 20 years ago). That area may still not. On the second day, a helicopter spotted their trucks and flew them out of there. They had to lease a vehicle to drive home to Dallas then return several days later to pick up their trucks. That lease was similar to 2020. We left after the one year as well.

Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7933332 08/13/20 12:08 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I too could tell many stories over my 50 years plus hunting leases. Takes too long. But I have been running a lease now for 13 years. We do it by the book and the right way. We have common sense rules. Don’t follow them? You are gone.

I always laugh to myself when a thread comes up about lease rules and the guys on here who say “I paid my money. I will do and shoot what I want.” I just jot down the name/Avatar of who says stuff like that and keep it so I remember who NOT to let on our lease.

Very similar to those who bitch because the HOA neighborhood they moved into should not be enforcing the rules.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7933425 08/13/20 12:55 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You realize this was meant to be a fun thread, right?

Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7933495 08/13/20 01:39 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The only problems I've experienced with hunting leases involved battles between landowners/heirs that bled into lease members deciding to choose sides. Needless to say, it didn't end well.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7933497 08/13/20 01:40 AM
W
Whammer7 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I pay $1,700/month not to deal with this crap, plus $5k/yr in taxes

I asked my wife if she wanted to lease a place and she said, "Hell, no, we need to buy" I try to give the lady what she wants...I wonder what that venison costs per pound?

"Sometimes, too much to drink is barely enough"

Mark Twain
Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7933511 08/13/20 01:48 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My dad had to point out to John Connally once that he was on the wrong side of the fence. Tarpley.

That same lease had a big swimming hole on it. My oldest brother (by 18 years) was mentally handicapped (high forceps in 1941). He lived at Marbridge, a group home in Manchaca (now a suburb of Austin). He was home with us over the summer and we went to that lease. We were wading in the swimming hole and he dives in and starts swimming like an Olympic swimmer. Poetry in motion. My parents had never taught him. Someone at Marbridge had the incredible patience to do so. Mom cried and cried out of happiness. There are angels among us.

Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Creekrunner] #7933581 08/13/20 02:45 AM
O
Ox190 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Where's the guy on here that watched through his binoculars a lease mate get frisky with his wife/gf? Great story, written well. Was it on the hood of a vehicle, or is my memory embellishing?

I've related on here before how the LO asked me to help him go down to another windmill, pick up a garden tiller and help him lift it out at his house where they were starting a new garden beside the house. ("House" is a very loose term in this case.) As we pulled up, 'seems his then wife was working on something else besides her garden - her full body tan. She grabbed a bathmat on the clothesline and ran inside. He just hollered "Caught ya!" and didn't mention another word. There've been times I've seriously envied that crazy bastard, although I'm not sure I could have handled their "couples weekend", if you catch my meaning. I did come across his weed patch. Then it was my turn to not say a word; hunting Turkey I think it was.

And, I have to say, aside from the two days that my daughters were born, the happiest day of my life so far was on that lease with my current wife. Spring - filling feeders, cold left-over backstrap, a killer Cabernet, a running creek, a large, flat rock in the middle of it, and...a gentleman stops here. 'Place has been sold and busted up. Life goes on. But I'll always have memories in "Ghost Canyon". banana

Was his last name McDonald?

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Creekrunner] #7933741 08/13/20 12:01 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
You realize this was meant to be a fun thread, right?

LOL. It’s fun when people follow the rules

Craziest lease I was on had guest rules /limits but were not enforced. So guys would bring 5-6 guest at a time. You would go to the map to pick the stand you planned to hunt and they were all taken already by guest. No thanks

You can't fix stupid
Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7933746 08/13/20 12:11 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've leased property but I've never been on a lease with others, pretty sure it wouldn't go well. Now I don't worry about it.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7933755 08/13/20 12:28 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
The worst I was ever on was also the best I was ever on, tons of deer, exotics, and hogs. Problem was the lease manager treated it like his own personal kingdom (he had been on the lease for 25 years and managed it for 15+ as I recall). Everyone was welcome in the kitchen, but you had to be invited to sleep in the bunkhouse/shower/use the bathroom, by him. No skin offa me and pops we had a travel trailer( that were much nicer accommodations). Rules were selectively enforced depending on your relationship to his majesty. Only he and his buddies (the remains of the original group of lessees) were allowed to bring guests and they did all the time and in large numbers. Rules were 8 pts or better and one doe. We had this very quiet, very nice older gentleman who shot a dandy buck that turned out to be a 7 point as it only had one brow time (the other side just had a small bump). They(his majesty and his minions) treated the old man like he had killed a fawn with spots. Mr. Gentleman, recognized his mistake, did not try to hide it, and was willing to do whatever needed to be done to make it right. Well the lease mgr and his cronies decided they would call a lease meeting to figure out what they were going to do, most likely a warning or maybe a small fine.(this is important)
Now, I like this old fella, a lot, I mean how can you not like an elegant old geezer who hunts in Filson tin pants and carries a model 86 Winchester in 40-82. I was embarrassed at the way these people Jerry and his inside circle were treating him, so I skipped the lynching er I mean meeting and just hung out with him. So they came back and fine him 500$, He was a little shocked at the price tag, but like I said he owned his mistake. As he was about to hand over the check he made the comment that while it was a lot of money, at least it was going to go into the camp fund for food, bills, repairs, etc.
When Jerry said no, it was to be used at his discretion as he was the lease manager, that stately, elegant, old gentleman changed. he ripped that check in half, and proceeded to tear Jerry into a few pieces too! Turns out Ol 'Boy was a retired judge (who knew?) at the state level. He pointed out that nowhere in the lease agreement he signed was a fine system in place, that he was going along to keep the peace, and that by instituting one on the spot Jerry was guilty of theft by intimidation, and by pocketing the cash to use at his discretion he was dangerously close to the line (and maybe over) for committing fraud, and that all the sudden he had decided he wasn't playing this game anymore. Packed his [censored] and left, within 48 hrs Jerry had been removed as lease mgr by the landowner, whom he had known for close to 3 decades.
The land owner installed his very good and lifelong friend retired state judge Mr. Gentleman as lease manager, lets just say lots of things changed after that. The next year the judge brought his old bailiff in as lease manager and most of the old crowd drifted. The good guys won, The land owner died a couple of years later ( and the Judge a year or so after that) and his daughter lived in Michigan so she sold out and the lease is probably a subdivided neighborhood now..

Last edited by Kevin Heath; 08/13/20 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7933767 08/13/20 12:37 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
I've leased property but I've never been on a lease with others, pretty sure it wouldn't go well. Now I don't worry about it.

Yeah, I chased the dream of my childhood experiences on leases with my dad for a long time, but hell, there was probably drama on those too, I was just too young to recognize it. I remember Dad worrying about his older brother talking too much when he brought him to the lease. Maybe he did, but I loved my uncle Johnny very much and thought he did great. Johnny had hunted with the Petmeckys in Austin a few times, back when Austin was a great town and not the freak show it is today.

I got off the last lease when I showed the "manager" a trail cam pic of a decent buck and he obviously got really excited, but said "We need to pass on him this year." A few weeks later I showed him another pic of another buck. He assumed it was the same buck, but when I pointed out that it was a different deer, he said we need to pass on him too. This "manager" always had his whole family out the day after Christmas through New Years, and it was too crowded for any other lease members to be there (or observe what actually got shot at the end of the season). I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. That, his son deleting trail cam pics after he wounded a deer, and his wife coming in the cabin with the whole brood and a guest, after having drunk the whole way, in the middle of the night and her throwing up 2 or 3 times (it wasn't the flu) finally pushed me over the edge.

We sold our small Fbg. place and bought a bigger place. 'Happy as a clam.

Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Kevin Heath] #7933770 08/13/20 12:42 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Kevin Heath
The worst I was ever on was also the best I was ever on, tons of deer, exotics, and hogs. Problem was the lease manager treated it like his own personal kingdom (he had been on the lease for 25 years and managed it for 15+ as I recall). Everyone was welcome in the kitchen, but you had to be invited to sleep in the bunkhouse/shower/use the bathroom, by him. No skin offa me and pops we had a travel trailer( that were much nicer accommodations). Rules were selectively enforced depending on your relationship to his majesty. Only he and his buddies (the remains of the original group of lessees) were allowed to bring guests and they did all the time and in large numbers. Rules were 8 pts or better and one doe. We had this very quiet, very nice older gentleman who shot a dandy buck that turned out to be a 7 point as it only had one brow time (the other side just had a small bump). They(his majesty and his minions) treated the old man like he had killed a fawn with spots. Mr. Gentleman, recognized his mistake, did not try to hide it, and was willing to do whatever needed to be done to make it right. Well the lease mgr and his cronies decided they would call a lease meeting to figure out what they were going to do, most likely a warning or maybe a small fine.(this is important)
Now, I like this old fella, a lot, I mean how can you not like an elegant old geezer who hunts in Filson tin pants and carries a model 86 Winchester in 40-82. I was embarrassed at the way these people Jerry and his inside circle were treating him, so I skipped the lynching er I mean meeting and just hung out with him. So they came back and fine him 500$, He was a little shocked at the price tag, but like I said he owned his mistake. As he was about to hand over the check he made the comment that while it was a lot of money, at least it was going to go into the camp fund for food, bills, repairs, etc.
When Jerry said no, it was to be used at his discretion as he was the lease manager, that stately, elegant, old gentleman changed. he ripped that check in half, and proceeded to tear Jerry into a few pieces too! Turns out Ol 'Boy was a retired judge (who knew?) at the state level. He pointed out that nowhere in the lease agreement he signed was a fine system in place, that he was going along to keep the peace, and that by instituting one on the spot Jerry was guilty of threat by intimidation, and by pocketing the cash to use at his discretion he was dangerously close to the line (and maybe over) for committing fraud, and that all the sudden he had decided he wasn't playing this game anymore. Packed his [censored] and left, within 48 hrs Jerry had been removed as lease mgr by the landowner, whom he had known for close to 3 decades.
The land owner installed his very good and lifelong friend retired state judge Mr. Gentleman as lease manager, lets just say lots of things change after that. The next year the judge brought his old bailiff in as lease manager and most of the old crowd drifted. The good guys won, The land owner died a couple of years later ( and the Judge a year or so after that) and his daughter lived in Michigan so she sold out and the lease is probably a subdivided neighborhood now..

That's one great story! up I'm sure there are some great, friendly and reasonable lease "managers" out there, but the megalomaniacs always get remembered.

Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7933823 08/13/20 01:35 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I was invited to visit a lease in South Texas. Good country and Big deer and the price was pretty decent.

Rules were one blind and one feeder per member. No community blinds. Basically you were confined to one spot the whole season. Kinda boring but whatever.

What turned me off was that they wanted you to video tape any potential shooter for review by other lease members before you got the green light. I was out on that.

Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: txtrophy85] #7933883 08/13/20 02:34 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I was invited to visit a lease in South Texas. Good country and Big deer and the price was pretty decent.

Rules were one blind and one feeder per member. No community blinds. Basically you were confined to one spot the whole season. Kinda boring but whatever.

What turned me off was that they wanted you to video tape any potential shooter for review by other lease members before you got the green light. I was out on that.

I've heard of this bs more and more. I don't hunt by committee. I've heard of a square-head up in Harper doing this, and it fits his obnoxious personality perfectly, but it is his land and his rules. If his hunters agree to that, that's their problem.

Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7933887 08/13/20 02:44 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Deer leases with stupid rules and people who think that the land is theirs because they are the "Manager" are the reason that hunters get off leases and buy their own land.

My deer lease experience has been universally bad. Thankfully I am blessed to be able to hunt a buddy's farm. If I had to lease again, I would not hunt.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: Stub] #7933903 08/13/20 02:59 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
When I was in college (late 70's) I was on a lease near Blanco on the Little Blanco River. Nice old German owned the 500 or so acres and lived on it. There was supposedly several lawyers from San Antonio also on the lease, but during the 3 years I was there, I never saw another person other than the landowner and his family. Even on opening weekend and over Thanksgiving, I'd be the only hunter out there. After college I got a job in Ft Worth and decided it was too long a drive so I got off the lease. Probably a big mistake.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Crazy Leases You Have Been On.. [Re: LeonCarr] #7933956 08/13/20 03:25 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by LeonCarr
Deer leases with stupid rules and people who think that the land is theirs because they are the "Manager" are the reason that hunters get off leases and buy their own land.

My deer lease experience has been universally bad. Thankfully I am blessed to be able to hunt a buddy's farm. If I had to lease again, I would not hunt.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

I lease a couple hundred acres close to my house. I am The only hunter on it, but during offseason I only go there to fill feeders and then leave, I don’t do a ton of work there, hang out, shoot or whatever. I have year round access but don’t make myself common until bow season and then it’s only to hunt. I get along real good with my landowners in large part because of it.

I hope I can keep the lease for another 3 years at least but if it doesn’t get renewed I’ll be in the market to buy and hunt at friends places in the interim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide