Print Thread
Hinge Relase #7932985 08/12/20 07:54 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I know I have a little bit of anticipating the shoot going on, most of the time it is small micro adjustments I will make right as I release. Like I will be holding steady just below the bulls eye and then move up and release. I know I should be holding steady on the bulls eye then release and since I know I do that I have made effort to not do that.

But I keep hearing over and over again to practice with a hinge release.

But I don’t know if they are saying practice with the hinge and hunt with my thumb, I use a thumb release.

Then I look up hinge release and they aren’t cheap unless im not looking at something right, then im like well should I try and new thumb release and see if maybe just making a change will help.

So anyone who knows anything on hinge releases help me out on the ins and outs of this.

I shoot a Carter whisper, I haven’t shoot any other thumb release but maybe a change will be good. any recommendations there.

Re: Hinge Relase [Re: TxHunter87] #7933040 08/12/20 08:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
First don’t hold on the bulleyes, float and pull through when your eye is locked on. No archer can hold steady, it’s muscle memory, and shot execution. We all float, See the shot don’t try to shoot the spot if that makes sense.

If you are use to a thumb it’s an easier transition to back tension, W/that said I can’t use a hinge for hunting, so I don’t shoot with a hinge unless I’m having mental form issues of pulling all the way through.

Hard to be a carter whisper

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hinge Relase [Re: TxHunter87] #7933137 08/12/20 09:40 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I shoot a stan thumb release and turn it as light as I can get away with while practicing. Once I'm dialed in I'll increase the trigger to a point I can live with and still shoot reasonably well. Most of us get target panic at some point. It's a mental thing. Hinge release could help but I'd explore the reason for your pre release motion. Target panic is kind of a misnomer in my book. It's more anticipation and the bodies defense mechanism.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Hinge Relase [Re: TxHunter87] #7933241 08/12/20 10:59 PM
T
TexasTURhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I like the Carter wise choice for stand hunting. The whisper (or anything made by carter or Stan) is top notch and that open hook would be awesome for spot and stalk style hunting.

If you get a hinge I recommend one that has a click.

Re: Hinge Relase [Re: TxHunter87] #7935101 08/14/20 01:40 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Thanks for yalls replies.

I may hold off on the hinge, thinking about it, it may be best to hold off on this till after the season instead of making that kind of change now.

I dont have anything againt the whisper, but i still may take a look at some of the other releases by Stand and Carter just to see what they go.

This float method, im trying to look more into it. i get it and i dont get it if that make since. if you got any good resources for me to look at send them my way.

thanks,

Re: Hinge Relase [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7937051 08/15/20 08:39 PM
T
Theringworm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
First don’t hold on the bulleyes, float and pull through when your eye is locked on. No archer can hold steady, it’s muscle memory, and shot execution. We all float, See the shot don’t try to shoot the spot if that makes sense.

If you are use to a thumb it’s an easier transition to back tension, W/that said I can’t use a hinge for hunting, so I don’t shoot with a hinge unless I’m having mental form issues of pulling all the way through.

Hard to be a carter whisper

Agree 100%. I float from below the target up and find my shots dead on when doing so. If I float from above down or try and hold bulls eye and shoot all of my shots are low 1” and left 1”. This is shooting a trigger release which I am very consistent with. I just bought a Carter Wise Choice as an alternative and to have two releases incase one craps out on me during a hunt. Haven’t shot it yet but looking forward to it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide