Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Early start this year #7924561 08/05/20 12:35 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Since I'm getting to spend more time at the ranch this year due to the CV19 I got a start on breaking a couple of the food plots yesterday. I have usually waited until later and plant whenever I can get the opportunity but last year I had so much travel it was a battle getting everything broken up good. I try and pay attention to when the wheat farmers up here break their fields- they tend to leave theirs sit for a good while before they go back and drill. Hope to do some more today and then I'm going to get a sprayer for the tractor and see if I can't slow down the weeds.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Early start this year [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7924566 08/05/20 12:42 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
sounds like a plan ... I tend to deep plow in August/early Sept. time frame, then do a light plow when its time to plant. I don't have access to a sprayer (other than hand sprayer, which would get old fast). This allows whatever I am plowing under the first go around to break down into compost. Looks like I have an opportunity to get shredding done this upcoming weekend, then plowing Labor Day weekend for first go around. Then hopefully late Sept. for planting in hopes of missing the Army worms.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Early start this year [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7924603 08/05/20 01:17 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Yep. Last year I was into late September and the folks that planted early up here planted twice because of the army worms. I even planted one of my fields in Late November because of the worms/traveling/rain and it was up and a good stand in a week or so. But because my discing was so delayed last year the stuff didn't have time to break down good and I don't want that again this year.

[Linked Image]
Re: Early start this year [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7926781 08/07/20 10:17 AM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Yeah I need to get my Red tractor to the lease and get started. I need to get my peas ordered so I will have something to plant. Last year dang hogs rooted my pea patch. Going to plant earlier and make sure I cover my seeds better this year.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Early start this year [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7927555 08/07/20 11:43 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
cheers Looks good. I shredded mine in late June then disc them all up at the end of the first week of July. Ground was hard packed and left a lot of clods. I was lucky to get some good rains at the end of August and just re-disc all the plots again to smooth them out. Also got the regrowth weeds and grasses. Will drag them to smooth them off in the morning. Will spray any new weed growth after the next rains.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Early start this year [Re: stxranchman] #7931203 08/11/20 11:48 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by stxranchman
cheers Looks good. I shredded mine in late June then disc them all up at the end of the first week of July. Ground was hard packed and left a lot of clods. I was lucky to get some good rains at the end of August and just re-disc all the plots again to smooth them out. Also got the regrowth weeds and grasses. Will drag them to smooth them off in the morning. Will spray any new weed growth after the next rains.

I'm researching a sprayer to hit the weeds. Problem is I have too much to do with a small sprayer(maybe 12 acres total) but too little to buy a 3-point sprayer that will get use a couple times a year and then sit there and have seals fail, etc. I'm also "water-poor" since we don't have city or decent well water- I have to haul it from town.

[Linked Image]
Re: Early start this year [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7931295 08/11/20 01:20 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH

I'm researching a sprayer to hit the weeds. Problem is I have too much to do with a small sprayer(maybe 12 acres total) but too little to buy a 3-point sprayer that will get use a couple times a year and then sit there and have seals fail, etc. I'm also "water-poor" since we don't have city or decent well water- I have to haul it from town.

I only have 15 gallon sprayer with a jet nozzle in the back of my Ranger now that I use to hit the bad areas of my plots. I try to spray when the vegetation is very small so I can go a bit faster and still get good coverage. Currently, I have 11 acres total but want to add more over time. Like you I would not use a larger sprayer that much but have considered buying a 25 gallon sprayer and just move the jet nozzle over to it. I can spray about 8-10 gallons per acre now with the 15 gallon as long as the vegetation is not getting out of hand. You thought about using a tote for carrying water to your place? Have a barn or shed you can gutter and set up a storage tank or totes to collect runoff?

Re: Early start this year [Re: stxranchman] #7931447 08/11/20 03:33 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

I only have 15 gallon sprayer with a jet nozzle in the back of my Ranger now that I use to hit the bad areas of my plots. I try to spray when the vegetation is very small so I can go a bit faster and still get good coverage. Currently, I have 11 acres total but want to add more over time. Like you I would not use a larger sprayer that much but have considered buying a 25 gallon sprayer and just move the jet nozzle over to it. I can spray about 8-10 gallons per acre now with the 15 gallon as long as the vegetation is not getting out of hand. You thought about using a tote for carrying water to your place? Have a barn or shed you can gutter and set up a storage tank or totes to collect runoff?

I think I'm going to go with this:
UTV Sprayer
I can haul water from town 210 gallons at a time. I do have a rain catch system with 4 1000 gallon tanks but 2 are plumbed to the bunkhouse and 2 aren't but I don't have an outside spigot on them yet. I plan on connecting them up to my underground tank (1400 gallons) this fall. Another one of those "when I get around to its".
I really think the spraying weeds will help. I've been doing a lot of repetitive shredding and the grass gets better every year- it's just time a effort-intensive. I'm trying to mow/shred about 50 or so acres and it is hard to do when it's scattered out and not exactly smooth.

[Linked Image]
Re: Early start this year [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7931923 08/11/20 09:34 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I think I'm going to go with this:
UTV Sprayer
I can haul water from town 210 gallons at a time. I do have a rain catch system with 4 1000 gallon tanks but 2 are plumbed to the bunkhouse and 2 aren't but I don't have an outside spigot on them yet. I plan on connecting them up to my underground tank (1400 gallons) this fall. Another one of those "when I get around to its".
I really think the spraying weeds will help. I've been doing a lot of repetitive shredding and the grass gets better every year- it's just time a effort-intensive. I'm trying to mow/shred about 50 or so acres and it is hard to do when it's scattered out and not exactly smooth.

That is a nice size and price sprayer for a UTV. I looked at one similar at TSC but it had a roller pump and 3pt hitch..rest was the same. But it was $250 more in price. I just can't justify that much for something I will use twice per year. I found one at TSC that is 40 gallon with 2.4 gal/minute 12v pump that is under $400...it was on sale last month for $349 though. It is a 4 nozzle boom sprayer that covers 120" of width also. My food plots have live oaks in them still so the boom is not the best but being only 10' spray width is better. I like the boom since I can set it closer to the ground on windy days and still get good coverage. Just have to keep looking. May check out Northern since they have on closer to me I can go pick up one I like. I am wanting to go back to roundup ready soybeans to knock out the weeds that get started after I plant in the spring also. So a larger sprayer will make it easier for me.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide