Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? #7926767 08/07/20 09:42 AM
D
Deersteaks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Probably not, because it doesn't make sense. I have heard comments for years about how this or that just "isn't sporting". Anyone ever tell you that ? Maybe, just maybe there are other people like me out there who just doesn't care about "Being sporting" when it comes to hunting. When I walk into the store for a gallon of milk and I know it's in the back right corner, I don't walk all the way around to the left and circle the whole store to make it a challenge. I have a goal in mind and achieving that goal the simplest way makes since to me. I want to fill my freezer and get a nice rack if possible. I will hunt over bait or water with a gun, bow or crossbow. If I wanted to make things "Sporting", then I would wear a bright Santa suit wearing the stinkiest pair of tennis shoes that I can find. Maybe smoke a cigar and listen to music while I stand in the open on flat ground and wait. My intention is to take an animal, period. If others want to challenge themselves by making it more difficult, then by all means, do so. But they shouldn't hold everyone to that standard. I have been told that baiting deer was cheating, or using a crossbow was cheating. Well, first of all, I bet back when hunting with a primitive bow was all there was, the people would take advantage of every trick they had. Hunting under an acorn tree dropping acorns, or over a water source.Wearing animal skins and sneaking up on their prey. I would bet if you handed one of them guys an old 30-30 and said, here, you can shoot him from 100 yards, he would trade everything he has for that opportunity.Not saying I want a caged hunt. By all means "NO!" I just want all legal hunters to support each other and try and understand that we each have our own goals and ways of getting there. I don't shoot young deer....now, but when I was younger, they were fair game. I have changed and most will, so holding your standard up and saying "This is the only way is not the way we want to go. Just food for thought .Thanks for listening to my rant guy's!

Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Deersteaks] #7926769 08/07/20 09:51 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Glad you got that out.

Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Hudbone] #7926927 08/07/20 01:20 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Glad you got that out.

roflmao

Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Deersteaks] #7927184 08/07/20 05:48 PM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
In these days of quarantine, its best not to bottle up all these stresses.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Deersteaks] #7927195 08/07/20 06:00 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
No. But, I have hunted jack rabbits on an oat patch with a dip net out of a dune buggy. Does that count?

Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Deersteaks] #7927202 08/07/20 06:06 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
But what about using a hatchet on a high fenced place? bolt

Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Deersteaks] #7927247 08/07/20 07:06 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I read the whole thing and was waiting to hear about hunting with a hatchet. bolt

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: oldrancher] #7927253 08/07/20 07:10 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by oldrancher
No. But, I have hunted jack rabbits on an oat patch with a dip net out of a dune buggy. Does that count?

I think a throw net would be more sporting. clap

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: dogcatcher] #7927267 08/07/20 07:20 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Originally Posted by oldrancher

I think a throw net would be more sporting. clap

That's how you catch armadillos.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Deersteaks] #7927370 08/07/20 08:47 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Mods please add a Hatchet Hunting sub-forum. Obviously this is an up and coming "means and methods" variation that needs it's own section.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Deersteaks] #7927380 08/07/20 08:53 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I've said it before, anything above buck-naked and bare-handed is an advantage. Don't judge me for mine and I won't judge you for yours.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7927427 08/07/20 09:40 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I can't get the image of a guy dropping out of an oak tree with a hatchet out of my mind.

Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: TKandMike] #7927431 08/07/20 09:44 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TKandMike
I can't get the image of a guy dropping out of an oak tree with a hatchet out of my mind.

Thanks alot!!! roflmao

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Deersteaks] #7927528 08/07/20 11:13 PM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
confused2

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Deersteaks] #7927573 08/08/20 12:00 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Really weird post, but for the record I have personally watched someone kill a deer with only a hatchet.

Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Deersteaks] #7927597 08/08/20 12:16 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
With the axe throwing places popping up around Texas, maybe axe throwing will be the next special open season for deer hunting.

[Linked Image]
Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Deersteaks] #7927767 08/08/20 02:57 AM
W
woods and plainsman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
dang , if Sniper John had the video it would add meaning to this post eeks333

Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: woods and plainsman] #7927789 08/08/20 03:36 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by woods and plainsman

I wish I had a video. It was before smart phones. I was on a lease near Maryneal TX riding around with a good friend the afternoon before opening day killing time. just checking out the area ranches and spotting area game from the road. We spotted a very live doe far out across a pasture that had got it's back leg hung in fence. It was not land we hunted so we called the local game warden and waited for him to arrive. A very serious looking GW got out of his truck with only a hatchet. Without saying a word the GW crossed the fence and started walking to the doe. We followed. The three of us shoulder to shoulder walked up to the doe and without warning. WACK TO THE HEAD! Startled, scared, I don't know what, but my friend and I actually ran a little aways from the scene at that moment with a curse word or two thrown in. It was a very quick humane kill BTW. The doe had hurt itself bad enough that it would not have survived. GW thanked us and offered the doe to us for camp meat. Times were different back then for sure.

I am pretty sure hunting deer with a hatchet is not legal. Thus my "weird post" comment. But you can dispatch an Alligator with a hatchet. While on one of the state's first public alligator hunts, hatchet was stated as a legal dispatch method. I used a knife. An old bayonet. I figured I would just say it was a long pointy axe and if they wanted to give me a ticket for killing an alligator with a knife, I would frame it and put it on the wall. At the check station I remember the the biologists and GW talking about "but there is no checkbox for knife on this form". So they crossed out AXE and wrote in Knife on the forum for my alligator. The next year I was drawn for the alligator hunt again. Guess what, the form now had a check box for Knife added to it. That was because of me!. Don't know if this gives meaning to this post woods and plainsman, but best I got.

[Linked Image]

Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Deersteaks] #7927907 08/08/20 01:16 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Dang cool picture Sniper John
An old friends grandfather hunted deer with a knife in Utah many years back, talk about a challenging hunt. The story was that he would jump out of a tree and stab the deer.
Killing deer with knife is not legal in Texas, such as the taking of the Camp Bullis Buck. A game warden told me that dispatching with a knife is okay.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Sniper John] #7928031 08/08/20 04:07 PM
P
Pintail711 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Originally Posted by Sniper John

I wish I had a video. It was before smart phones. I was on a lease near Maryneal TX riding around with a good friend the afternoon before opening day killing time. just checking out the area ranches and spotting area game from the road. We spotted a very live doe far out across a pasture that had got it's back leg hung in fence. It was not land we hunted so we called the local game warden and waited for him to arrive. A very serious looking GW got out of his truck with only a hatchet. Without saying a word the GW crossed the fence and started walking to the doe. We followed. The three of us shoulder to shoulder walked up to the doe and without warning. WACK TO THE HEAD! Startled, scared, I don't know what, but my friend and I actually ran a little aways from the scene at that moment with a curse word or two thrown in. It was a very quick humane kill BTW. The doe had hurt itself bad enough that it would not have survived. GW thanked us and offered the doe to us for camp meat. Times were different back then for sure.

I am pretty sure hunting deer with a hatchet is not legal. Thus my "weird post" comment. But you can dispatch an Alligator with a hatchet. While on one of the state's first public alligator hunts, hatchet was stated as a legal dispatch method. I used a knife. An old bayonet. I figured I would just say it was a long pointy axe and if they wanted to give me a ticket for killing an alligator with a knife, I would frame it and put it on the wall. At the check station I remember the the biologists and GW talking about "but there is no checkbox for knife on this form". So they crossed out AXE and wrote in Knife on the forum for my alligator. The next year I was drawn for the alligator hunt again. Guess what, the form now had a check box for Knife added to it. That was because of me!. Don't know if this gives meaning to this post woods and plainsman, but best I got.

[Linked Image]

What Ranch did you hunt in Maryneal? My dad and business partner used to lease 7500 acres back in the 90’s and early 2000’s. Had a lot of fun hunting out there growing up.

Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Simple Searcher] #7928530 08/09/20 02:13 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
An old friends grandfather hunted deer with a knife in Utah many years back, talk about a challenging hunt. The story was that he would jump out of a tree and stab the deer.
Killing deer with knife is not legal in Texas, such as the taking of the Camp Bullis Buck. A game warden told me that dispatching with a knife is okay.

up

[Linked Image]
Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Pintail711] #7928564 08/09/20 02:53 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Pintail711
Originally Posted by Sniper John

What Ranch did you hunt in Maryneal? My dad and business partner used to lease 7500 acres back in the 90’s and early 2000’s. Had a lot of fun hunting out there growing up.

Don't remember the name. But I hunted the area because I worked with one of the Muncys. With permission we were hunting spanish treasure out there just last year. With new intel I hope to go back, but will have to wait till after hunting seasons now. Can't reveal that ranch name for obvious reasons.

Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Simple Searcher] #7928566 08/09/20 03:04 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher

I bet that story was a hoot to hear in person. I was on the first and maybe only gator hunt at Sea Rim state park. A good friend was on the hunt with me and he knew I had developed a habit of without warning pulling live alligators into the boat to kill with a knife. We pulled the boat up on a 13 ft give or take alligator laying up on a levee with my line hanging out of it's mouth. It was huge when you consider any alligator over 8 ft starts growing more wide than long each year. My friend grinning ear to ear tried to hand me my bayonet. I said "give me the F%^%ing gun".

Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Deersteaks] #7928657 08/09/20 09:34 AM
R
redhaze Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Has anyone tried to kill anything with a golf club? Imagination is wandering....

Re: Ever hunted a deer with a hatchet ? [Re: Deersteaks] #7928661 08/09/20 09:51 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Howie killed one with a golf ball struck from a golf club at the Canyon Lake Golf Course. It was dead right there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide