Forums46
Topics536,995
Posts9,719,273
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Big_Country01] #7925043 08/05/20 07:25 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Big_Country01
Originally Posted by rickt300
My experience with east Tx is that nothing is safe and that meth rules.

That is an ironic statement coming from someone in Johnson County!

Johnson county has nowhere near the problems Anderson county has. Crooked game wardens, run amok meth heads. My three years hunting north of Palestine really opened my eyes! At least here in Johnson county if they throw you in jail you have to make bail to get out.

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7925050 08/05/20 07:33 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Most of my hunting has been west of the metroplex so I can't speak to the issues in ETX....but I've only hunted 1 property that went without incident. Trespassing, road hunting, theft, vandalism...we've seen it all. Believe me, WTX has it's issues as well. The 1 property we hunted without incident was 750 acres where the LO resided. One of the worst places for trespassing & road hunting was owned by the county sheriff. It was always fun when we would confront trespassers and we told them who owned the property...the look on their faces....their prospects were not good as we would not let them go without ID.

Picked up a new pasture this year in Parker county....LO just had a motorcycle stolen from a barn. They cut the fence and took it. Yup....I think you're going to get that kind of crap anywhere.

Last edited by Schpanky; 08/05/20 07:44 PM.
Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7925055 08/05/20 07:38 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Depends on your meth lab per acre density.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: dkershen] #7925833 08/06/20 03:12 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by dkershen
Depends on your meth lab per acre density.

roflmao

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7925853 08/06/20 03:21 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Absentee owner property is ripe for poaching and property theft simply because of the terrain compared to the rest of Texas......

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7925881 08/06/20 03:39 PM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Toooo much theft and poaching in ET, and there aren't any bucks or doe's. Best to hunt west of Dallas. smile smile

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7926885 08/07/20 12:39 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by EastTXbound
I’m close to owning my own place near Linden and you guys have me worried.

Well, east TX is closest to LA.

roflmao popcorn

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7926905 08/07/20 12:58 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Like said before. E. Texas is probably a little worse than W. TX only because it has a more people and more cover.

I know people that hunted in E TX on a lease with me that did not follow the laws there and they did the same thing in W TX.

Its unfortunate but some people are just that way, the worse ones in my opinion are the ones that have money but do it anyways.

The only people I have sympathy for are the ones that do it just to feed their family, they get a pass if they are not abusing it.

Last edited by Stub; 08/07/20 12:58 PM.

texas flag

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7926966 08/07/20 02:14 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
You guys make me want to back out . I’ll worry every night that someone is trespassing or poaching 😩

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7926988 08/07/20 02:37 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
You guys make me want to back out . I’ll worry every night that someone is trespassing or poaching 😩

As someone who grew up here, has had family land here since my father was a kid, I can tell you its not as bad as some are making it to be.

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7927042 08/07/20 03:23 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

If you found what you want, don't back out.

The incidence of poaching & trespassing in E Tx is due to E Tx relatively speaking being more densely populated than other rural parts of the state.
No matter where you go, more people = more unusual activities, more problems, more crime of all variety.

There are pockets of small to large areas in almost every county in the state that have trespassing & poaching issues.

Absentee owners of rural property anywhere in the state stand a higher chance of having something going on that they may or may not know about in their absence.

On the flip side, if you end up with good neighbors & get to known them, there is no better asset for absentee rural property owners than good neighbors.
No matter where or how many acres you buy, you're going to have neighbors.
Good ones are worth their weight in gold.

There are few areas in E Tx that I wouldn't buy property in, same goes for at least several dozen other counties all over the state.

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7927056 08/07/20 03:46 PM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Make good friends with the local GW. Ask if he could check your pace once in a while. Thanksgiving turkey, gift always helps!
Buy it, I will watch it for you!

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7927130 08/07/20 04:53 PM
R
Ringtail Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I guess I ought to chime in here since I own a small property in east Texas and use it as a hunting, weekend property. I do take some tentative precautions like
having heavy locks on the barn/shop and gate into the property as well as a lock on my main large blind and a locked chain across the bridge in the middle of our
property that allows one to cross the creek to the back part. I built a privacy fence all around the house part and have security lights and beware of dog signs on the fence. Before the fence was put in, my front feeder could potentially be seen from the road but now it can't. Wife and I put up plenty of No Hunting, No trespassing signs and purple paint on trees facing the National Forest. Put keyless locks on the homes doors and arrange things on my pier in a certain way where I can tell if anyone has been on there fishing without permission. I had a barbed wire fence built on the west side to separate a smaller property that was once part of my property. I also have 8 game cameras going with a couple not at feeders but in areas animals or poachers might pass through.

I've at least met the few people who live in the area and during general conversations let my thoughts about poaching and trespassing be known and how I won't tolerate it.. I always have my .45 on my hip just to let people know I am serious. I think diligence is an important factor in at least providing some margin of safety but nothing is 100%. There is a guy that drives by twice a day to feed his cattle as he leases some Forest land past me and owns some also and he seems the type guy who notices everything so I made friends with him. In the little town about 6.5 miles away, one does see some rough looking characters once in a while so I guess there are some of the so called meth heads in the general area.

Having said all that my family and I love the place and think that as long as you buy in the right area of east Texas you should be fine. I have heard that the poaching is worse, the closer you get to LA. but couldn't say for a fact.

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: White Falcon] #7927173 08/07/20 05:39 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by White Falcon
Make good friends with the local GW. Ask if he could check your pace once in a while. Thanksgiving turkey, gift always helps!
Buy it, I will watch it for you!

Also, make contact with the Texas Forest Service office that covers your area. Have the a technician or a forester come out and evaluate the health of your tract. Its not just all about logging, forest health is a big part of what they do.

Make friends with that technician from the local office. They may be able to stop in and take a look at it every now and then if the conditions are right! Most of them are not peace officers, but they can report anything out of the ordinary.

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7927243 08/07/20 07:04 PM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I have a house in Rayburn Country, lots of Rayburn Country is remote. I see East Texas Rednecks with Camo driving around road hunting Rayburn Country every Deer season looking to shoot the deer we feed in our back yards.

But its not east texas, its all over Texas. When I lived in Kingsville in the late 70's the Game Wardens would get caught outlaw hunting.

As tough as the Texas game laws are not it would take an idiot to poach a deer and they get caught. Lose there license, truck, gun you name it.

Thanks, Billy
Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Gringocazador] #7928282 08/08/20 09:43 PM
R
RabbitsFoot Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Was on a lease in East Texas. Didn’t have poachers but a lot of thieves. Had 3 game cameras stolen.

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7928318 08/08/20 10:37 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have hog doggers on game cam at my east Texas place.

Make America Great Again

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7928338 08/08/20 10:57 PM
R
Rifleman1775 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I was on a lease in Trinity county near Apple Springs for about 6 yrs. Only issue I ever had was mine and my BIL's cameras were stolen. Had several pics of unknown people at my feeders but I think they were fellow lease members just driving around during the off season. In laws have about 40 acres in Nogalus Prarie, also near Apple Springs, that have had some trespassers, likely some poachers, and some things stolen. I'm pretty sure it was the neighbors in the deer camp next door doing the "poaching," due to the trail under the "fence" and just inside the tree line looking towards one of their feeders. Even had a little spot cleared out to fit a couple of chairs. Actually found a chair a couple yrs ago just inside the same tree line but closer to the feeder. Had two really nice bucks there last yr before season, neither been seen since. confused2 But I still enjoy going to the place. Love the piney woods

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7929311 08/09/20 09:27 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Someone will definitely be trespassing at some point, no matter where you own.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Tbar] #7931048 08/11/20 02:49 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Tbar
I have hog doggers on game cam at my east Texas place.

Constant problem for me.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7931269 08/11/20 12:55 PM
71Rcode Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Guys, I'm considering retiring on one of our east Texas lakes one of these years (waterfront).

Any advice or lakes/ares to avoid? This east Texas poaching/trespassing/drug discussion has raised some red flags in my mind.

Caddo
Lake o the pines
Richland chambers
Sam rayburn
Livingston
Bob Sandlin
Cedar creek

Plan is to do a lot of fishing and hosting friends and family.
Thanks for your insight.

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: 71Rcode] #7931306 08/11/20 01:30 PM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by 71Rcode
Guys, I'm considering retiring on one of our east Texas lakes one of these years (waterfront).

Any advice or lakes/ares to avoid? This east Texas poaching/trespassing/drug discussion has raised some red flags in my mind.

Caddo
Lake o the pines
Richland chambers
Sam rayburn
Livingston
Bob Sandlin
Cedar creek

Thanks for your insight.

There are lots of nice places down on Caddo Lake now and as for Lake "O" the Pines the north shore area has really been cleaned up. Pines has good Bass, Catfish and awesome Crappie fishing. I can't address the other lake areas.

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: 71Rcode] #7931316 08/11/20 01:36 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

Caddo
Lake o the pines
Richland chambers
Sam rayburn
Livingston
Bob Sandlin
Cedar creek

Thanks for your insight.

I don't know about Livingston - never been there- but all the others have their nicer areas. Cedar Creek was rough in places - and still is in a few - but for the most part Dallas money has invaded and things are getting expensive real quick.

Every lake in the state is going to have rough areas that are close to the lake but NOT waterfront. Just a part of lake living anywhere.

Every lake you listed has great fishing for multiple species.

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: 71Rcode] #7931392 08/11/20 02:40 PM
N
noname124398 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
N

Caddo
Lake o the pines
Richland chambers
Sam rayburn
Livingston
Bob Sandlin
Cedar creek

Thanks for your insight.

Sandlin has been great for my parents so far. Bought the property 3-4 years ago and spend weekends out there fixing the place up. Nothing has gone missing and no other funny business as far as i know. Likely to be a good investment if you get in soon, area is booming big time right now.

The family farm about 15 minutes from the north side of pines has been a little sketchy at times but nothing too crazy. Someone attempted to break in back in the 90s and i got robbed/scammed by a guy who "needed gas money because his wife was broken down" when i was about 17 years old locking up the gate to head out.

Re: How bad is East Texas poaching, really ? [Re: Biscuit] #7931406 08/11/20 02:52 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

Any advice or lakes/ares to avoid? This east Texas discussion has raised some red flags in my mind.

Caddo
Lake o the pines
Richland chambers
Sam rayburn
Livingston
Bob Sandlin
Cedar creek

Thanks for your insight.

Lake areas are not much different than rural property, there are good & bad areas in every county and near and around every lake.
If you live there full time you'll have substantially less chance of theft, trespassing, drug problems / undesirable activities.

Spending time driving the neighborhoods in your target areas is a good way to rule out areas.
You look for the same things / red flags you'd look for in any property purchase.
Be dang near impossible to go over every neighborhood / subdivision of the lakes you mentioned.

Seems lots of folks don't take into account access to quality medical facilities / health care / emergency services and distance to necessities. gas, grocery, hardware etc...

My opinion
Palestine.
Lake Athens.
Bob Sandlin - Cyprus Springs.
Cedar Creek.
Lake Fork.
Lake o Pines. Only lake Ive ever had any trouble around. Met my cousin there to fish, came back end of the day everything removable taken from my pickup.
Tires& wheels every piece of chrome & badging, tailgate, grill, air cleaner, battery, alternator, ps pump, brake master cyl & booster, front brake calipers, sitting on 6x4 wood blocks not a scratch or foot print around it, Sitting in a busy boat launch parking lot weekday.
Lake Hawkins.
Lake Holbrook.
Richland Chambers
Around Bonham, especially if you're a Vet arguably the best VA facility - Bonham city lake/Lake Bonham / the new Bois D' Ark lake, also not far from Coffee mill, lake Crocket.
And the dozens of Private lakes in E Tx.

Not East TX but,
Amon Carter
Moss Lake
Lake Bridgeport, main body, not river end.
Lake Limestone.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide