Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. #7926415 08/06/20 11:41 PM
Superduty Online Content OP
"The Regulator"
OP Online Content
"The Regulator"
I have a friend trying to talk me into getting on with CarMax as a buyer. Would definitely be a different direction than I have been accustomed. I am in a hunter role in sales and actually getting a little tired of the numbers game, especially with Covid and people not wanting to meet with anyone right now.

Any input?

Last edited by Superduty; 08/06/20 11:42 PM.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926432 08/06/20 11:49 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Will you be based in the store appraising peoples vehicles or hitting the sale barns?

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #7926436 08/06/20 11:53 PM
"The Regulator"
OP Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Will you be based in the store appraising peoples vehicles or hitting the sale barns?

At auction sites aka Sale Barns.

Last edited by Superduty; 08/06/20 11:54 PM.

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926452 08/07/20 12:01 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Don't give up your current job.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926453 08/07/20 12:03 AM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My nephew does it. He has done for several yrs., he was an auction buyer as you state. He is upper management now I believe. He loves it. When he was a buyer one of the perks was he was allowed to purchase at the companies price I believe 3 vehicles annually.

He could keep them or sale them. Not sure if they still do that. They pay extremely well. Wife doesn’t have to work etc. don’t talk to him much at all. Most info I get is through my wife as it is on her side of the family.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: bill oxner] #7926463 08/07/20 12:08 AM
"The Regulator"
OP Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Don't give up your current job.

Thanks Bill, I am really getting worn of Sales. If it was not for Covid, things would be more welcoming. I just want to work hard aNd still grow with a large company.

Not saying I am going to peruse this, but it is an option.

Unless of course Bill you are just posting a reply to up your post count. If so then....

dead_horse

banana

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: 7mag] #7926465 08/07/20 12:09 AM
"The Regulator"
OP Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by 7mag
My nephew does it. He has done for several yrs., he was an auction buyer as you state. He is upper management now I believe. He loves it. When he was a buyer one of the perks was he was allowed to purchase at the companies price I believe 3 vehicles annually.

He could keep them or sale them. Not sure if they still do that. They pay extremely well. Wife doesn’t have to work etc. don’t talk to him much at all. Most info I get is through my wife as it is on her side of the family.

Thanks would still love to be a LEO, but being 52...that has passed.

Watch your six, Sir.

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926471 08/07/20 12:13 AM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Superduty

Watch your six, Sir.

Always. But us LEOs don’t make squat lol

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: 7mag] #7926473 08/07/20 12:15 AM
"The Regulator"
OP Online Content
"The Regulator"

Watch your six, Sir.

Always. But us LEOs don’t make squat lol

Sometimes it is not about the dollar. But yes you guys deserve more.

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926569 08/07/20 01:27 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

It can be a lot of fun. Not sure of how you get paid. Do you get a percentage of the sale profit? At the bigger sales there is a lot going on and easy to be bidding on the wrong car, have the auctioneer get you to bid against yourself, etc.

Carmax isn't buying buy here/ pay here cars so that makes it a bit easier. Apps make determining an auction price much easier because you can see what that same car has sold for recently.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #7926575 08/07/20 01:32 AM
"The Regulator"
OP Online Content
"The Regulator"

It can be a lot of fun. Not sure of how you get paid. Do you get a percentage of the sale profit? At the bigger sales there is a lot going on and easy to be bidding on the wrong car, have the auctioneer get you to bid against yourself, etc.

Carmax isn't buying buy here/ pay here cars so that makes it a bit easier. Apps make determining an auction price much easier because you can see what that same car has sold for recently.

Straight Salary with small incentive on location growth in Net Income from what I understand. CarMax sets their sale prices and does not negotiate at all, so the buyer( auction buyer) has more to do with it.

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926583 08/07/20 01:39 AM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I know a couple of CarMax buyers, they travel to out of state auctions a couple of times a week and then work the actual CarMax dealer auction on auction days. I think it would be a decent gig, I enjoy the CarMax auctions. If nothing else get some experience doing that and then start buying for independent dealers at the same auctions. The pay there is better, easily into the six figures...

Wealth is of the heart and mind and not of the pocket
Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Chopped54] #7926600 08/07/20 02:03 AM
"The Regulator"
OP Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by Chopped54
I know a couple of CarMax buyers, they travel to out of state auctions a couple of times a week and then work the actual CarMax dealer auction on auction days. I think it would be a decent gig, I enjoy the CarMax auctions. If nothing else get some experience doing that and then start buying for independent dealers at the same auctions. The pay there is better, easily into the six figures...

Thank you Sir. Little worried about a huge career change.

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926604 08/07/20 02:08 AM
"The Regulator"
OP Online Content
"The Regulator"

Also heard you can get into banking by assisting the banks with repos to make sure the banks get their full return On their potential loss. Great gig from what I understand.

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926606 08/07/20 02:08 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Straight Salary with small incentive on location growth in Net Income from what I understand. CarMax sets their sale prices and does not negotiate at all, so the buyer( auction buyer) has more to do with it.

Well if you are tired of sales, might not be bad. If you traveled a lot in your sales job then traveling all over for auctions won't be a big deal.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926612 08/07/20 02:11 AM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My son’s, friend’s, dad manages the Carmax here in McKinney. I could put you in contact with him if you would like. Not sure if he buys at the auctions or not, but pretty sure he could answer any questions you might have. He’s a real nice guy.

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Greg] #7926620 08/07/20 02:14 AM
"The Regulator"
OP Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by Greg
My son’s, friend’s, dad manages the Carmax here in McKinney. I could put you in contact with him if you would like. Not sure if he buys at the auctions or not, but pretty sure he could answer any questions you might have. He’s a real nice guy.

Thank you Greg, I might reach out in the next couple of day.

cheers

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926629 08/07/20 02:17 AM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

No problem at all.
And I understand about the career change at our age. I was just telling a younger cat at work that is unhappy to change his path, he is 32 and not too late. I am not where I enjoy my field, but at 45 too late in the game to actually change.

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Chopped54] #7926633 08/07/20 02:19 AM
"The Regulator"
OP Online Content
"The Regulator"

No problem at all.
And I understand about the career change at our age. I was just telling a younger cat at work that is unhappy to change his path, he is 32 and not too late. I am not where I enjoy my field, but at 45 too late in the game to actually change.

That is reassuring. Would love to have a beer with you sometime.

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926640 08/07/20 02:25 AM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

I don't drink anymore but I'd sit and shoot the [censored] with ya anytime!

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Chopped54] #7926644 08/07/20 02:27 AM
"The Regulator"
OP Online Content
"The Regulator"

I don't drink anymore but I'd sit and shoot the [censored] with ya anytime!

I ll reach out next week.
Thank you.

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926664 08/07/20 02:41 AM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Greg

Thank you Greg, I might reach out in the next couple of day.

cheers

You bet! I’ve been in sales of some sort since college and kinda understand what you are going through. About 6 years ago I left Corp America and started my own business rehabbing homes and then selling them. Getting harder to keep a good crew of contractors who do quality work and one's you can count on. I'm switching gears a bit now and just went and got my real estate license a little over a month ago. Selling the home was always the fun part, so I think I’m gonna enjoy it. Why do something you don’t enjoy if you don’t have to... I say go for a career change and give it your all!

Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926670 08/07/20 03:02 AM
J
jcarring99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Greg! I’m in the middle of flipping a house right now! Luckily I know a GC! That would be me lol! At least I keep the costs down and I’ve been able to find guys that do good work at fair pricing.

Superduty I changed careers about 3 years ago. I’m actually doing something I like to do now. That’s half the battle that

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Email: joel@carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
Financing options click: https://app.gethearth.com/flyers/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926903 08/07/20 12:56 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Go for it! It will be a nice change and it’s not hard to learn how to buy......my brother owns multiple dealerships so I have a experienced opinion......

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Anyone here work as a buyer, CarMax for example. [Re: Superduty] #7926929 08/07/20 01:23 PM
H
huntingag01 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Know a guy that is a buyer for Autonation and goes to the auctions. Seems like a good gig.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide