Re: UTV tires for rough service [Re: tlk] #7908710 07/22/20 02:52 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
I ran the stock Duro's on my mule for 3 years and they were fine. I filled them with TireJect and they held up well out in Llano. We have a lot of rock and thorns. Only thing that punctured one was running over a shed.

I have the ITP Blackwater Evolutions on there now. Haven't really put them to the test yet. They are rough as hell on the pavement though. I'll probably trade them out after hunting season. You have to get it up to about 15 MPH on the pavement or it'll vibrate your fillings out.

Those run flats look interesting.

They are made out of Kevlar - same as law enforcement vest - we are in some rough country and I have used them for years - problem is you cannot get them right now

That’s not really saying much for Kevlar. Knives and arrows go right through our Kevlar vests.

Re: UTV tires for rough service [Re: BigPig] #7909056 07/22/20 03:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by tlk
I ran the stock Duro's on my mule for 3 years and they were fine. I filled them with TireJect and they held up well out in Llano. We have a lot of rock and thorns. Only thing that punctured one was running over a shed.

I have the ITP Blackwater Evolutions on there now. Haven't really put them to the test yet. They are rough as hell on the pavement though. I'll probably trade them out after hunting season. You have to get it up to about 15 MPH on the pavement or it'll vibrate your fillings out.

They are made out of Kevlar - same as law enforcement vest - we are in some rough country and I have used them for years - problem is you cannot get them right now

That’s not really saying much for Kevlar. Knives and arrows go right through our Kevlar vests.

I think it’s like anything else it’s the combination of things that make something resistant.

Like boats, pvc foam is fragile, so is Fiberglas Matt... but put layer of resin over the mat, and glue pvc between two layers of fiberglass and it’s one of the strongest structures by weight around.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: UTV tires for rough service [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7909103 07/22/20 03:48 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by tlk

I think it’s like anything else it’s the combination of things that make something resistant.

Like boats, pvc foam is fragile, so is Fiberglas Matt... but put layer of resin over the mat, and glue pvc between two layers of fiberglass and it’s one of the strongest structures by weight around.

I’m not disagreeing that when different materials are used in conjunction it can make things stronger, but to believes that a material that is easily punctured with a sharp object can be made strong with other materials that are easily punctured by sharp object is incorrect. The Kevlar lining in tires is about an 1/8 to 1/4 of what’s in a vest. It’s designed to prevent punctured from rocks and other large objects that would’ve normally torn an hole in the sidewall, it also helps keep the sidewall or tread from pinching and creating a week spot. Thorns, very sharp rocks, and other sharp objects will still penetrate a Kevlar tire. Now if it were as thick as our vests, it might have a better chance, but you couldn’t afford them, it would be over $1,000 per tire.

Re: UTV tires for rough service [Re: arandy] #7909112 07/22/20 03:54 PM
T
TOM-M Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I'm trying to figure out which tires mentioned so far are part Kevlar....

Re: UTV tires for rough service [Re: BigPig] #7909384 07/22/20 07:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

I’m not disagreeing that when different materials are used in conjunction it can make things stronger, but to believes that a material that is easily punctured with a sharp object can be made strong with other materials that are easily punctured by sharp object is incorrect. The Kevlar lining in tires is about an 1/8 to 1/4 of what’s in a vest. It’s designed to prevent punctured from rocks and other large objects that would’ve normally torn an hole in the sidewall, it also helps keep the sidewall or tread from pinching and creating a week spot. Thorns, very sharp rocks, and other sharp objects will still penetrate a Kevlar tire. Now if it were as thick as our vests, it might have a better chance, but you couldn’t afford them, it would be over $1,000 per tire.

I think it stiffens the rubber or something in conjunction with a rubber compound, because I’ve never seen a tire as tough as Essex. We trashed 3 other sets of tires on a Mule 610, then switch to Essex and not a problem or leak in 6 years. That mule 610 blew the engine last year, it’s been ran hard.

I would of put them on my mule pro but they are very limited on sizing

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: UTV tires for rough service [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7909929 07/23/20 02:00 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

Re: UTV tires for rough service [Re: arandy] #7916950 07/29/20 05:45 AM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
I enjoy running my swamplites w/slime on my 2012 muke trans 4x4. Sometimes I even just go right through the mesquite trees when needed.

Last edited by notamtchance; 07/29/20 05:46 AM.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: UTV tires for rough service [Re: arandy] #7925795 08/06/20 02:28 PM
S
svbubba Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
S
good information ..........thx fellows

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread