Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? #7925607 08/06/20 10:21 AM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
So, first off, yo @erathkid and @pitchfork Predator - had to say howdy wink

Okay... so, we own some land in S Texas... 4 tracts... well, the kids did not care to hunt, they got too old to take out of school on a whim.. heh, and they love to fish, so, eh.. decided the ranch cost more than I was using it for (too much drama etc)...sold the main tract with the larger cabin on it and bought an offshore boat. (they really wanted to fish, or so they said...and I sold the last one to buy the ranch so they could enjoy that lol)

Fast forward... that was last year, hell.. may have been the year before that, I forget... Saved about 1500 a month, give or take... still had 3 tracts, 254 acres, a small cabin, nothing fancy but had a roof and electricity and an a/c, right? Don't need more than that. Welp... we were really picky about how that sold as we did not want to sell it in pieces. I did not want to go out there to maintain it and see people staying in my cabins while I slept in a truck lol... so, all or nothing. Got an offer on it last week. Now, not sure if it will sell.... don't care either way, however.. that is when my 13yr old daughter asks for a bow and arrow set.

Okay.. I like the idea.. but told her my rule (grin)... she learns to hunt with it. I know.. but.. trying to get past this whole "I want...but I do not want to hunt". I do not bow hunt. I need another hobby like I need a hole in my head.. lol

So, she is fine with that.

Now, both kids want to hunt...10yr old son. "Really? We get an offer and will have to LEASE a place and NOW you want to hunt?" lol

So, here I am.. curious.. I hated leasing before.. all I found we chuckleheads that did not pay their fair share.. or I ended up paying for friends that could not afford it. How hard is it to find a lease with actual animals on it these days? I do not care about anything trophy etc.. if it is legal to shoot, meat .. all I care about....that and to ME.. all about bringing the family, even if all you do is camp together and they hunt.

Last time I had a lease I ended up paying for 2 spots so I could invite a friend, all the protein etc, found out later the other lease people were not paying and the manager was charging me for the entire thing because I was an idiot, and I knew no-one... and could not bring family. Hunted one time, shot a deer and never went back....cost me almost 10k dollars.

Yea, I'd rather do a day hunt with does lol.

Anyway, curious if it is a nightmare looking for a lease still. If so, may just find day hunts.

R

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7925631 08/06/20 11:13 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I think I would have leased a boat and kept the land instead of buying a boat and now having to lease land.
Your leasing experience is not too far off norm. And, unless you're really selective (and pay big bucks), day hunts can turn out to be busts- getting dropped off in a blind in a place that's been shot out for months.
Leases- for the most part- suck. There are always the guys on here describing their wonderful lease experience, free rein year-round, orchards of fruit trees for the picking, a menagerie of animals, trophy-class bucks, etc. etc. But those are few and far between and you'll pay for the good ones, then take the chance of losing the lease at the drop of a hat. And bringing the whole family to enjoy the place will put an X next to your name for next year- no matter what they say.
Sell the boat and go buy some land.

[Linked Image]
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7925639 08/06/20 11:23 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If you do decide to try and lease, I'd definitely try to do it with a buddy or two. As you did, I tried a lease, for one year, that I didn't know anyone else. Some of the guys were okay, but it was a long ways from ideal.

For a family, nothing beats your own place.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7925641 08/06/20 11:28 AM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Okay, asked about leases.. not selling the boat. Agreed, owning a place is nice, and best, but the drama and the cost are not worth it if the kids cannot go as often as I go.

So, moving on to other options.

Okay, so leases are what leases are.

Will stick to a day lease instead. Thanks.

R

Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7925646 08/06/20 11:37 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You're right, a day lease sounds perfect for you.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: Creekrunner] #7925658 08/06/20 11:52 AM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Yea, I am thinking you are right. I, personally, think it is more fun having a place to go to... but, hell.. could afford a trophy hunt for what leases go for these days with more than one person heh.

May not sell the other three tracts, we will see. Not paying a loan on them so they cost next to nothing, but if the right deal happens, eh. After that, will see.

Thanks fellas.

R

Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7925707 08/06/20 12:56 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by JohnRussell
Okay, asked about leases.. not selling the boat. Agreed, owning a place is nice, and best, but the drama and the cost are not worth it if the kids cannot go as often as I go.

R

PM me about arranging some meat hunts for y’all.....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7925738 08/06/20 01:25 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
My lease had 27 kids and they killed 19 deer over Thanksgiving weekend.

The right lease is out there, don’t give up. With that said Axis doe and whitetail doe hunts is a great way to do it and see different country.

Also don’t forget TPWD youth draws. Great way to mix it up

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7925746 08/06/20 01:37 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Hey Bobo wink Yes sir, right now...the key is to see if they will follow through. Not spending money on "I think I want a bow and arrow" heh. So a day hunt will work till they show commitment, then.. eh.. we will look at bigger choices wink

R

Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7925794 08/06/20 02:27 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Man id whoop some booty lol then id take as much advantage of the youth hunts as possible.

In the end i'd just be happy my kids were interested in it. I dont know if its because they are still young or what but it doesnt seem my kids 2 and 5 have the same drive to be out doors as me and my brother did.

Last edited by redchevy; 08/06/20 02:28 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7925830 08/06/20 03:09 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Great to hear from you Russ. Y'all are welcome here anytime. Kids do the darndest things, don't they. Glad y'all are doing well. I'll buy gas for the boat. Just say when, my friend.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: Creekrunner] #7925885 08/06/20 03:44 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7925891 08/06/20 03:48 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
since you still have the 3 tracts, why not buy a cheaper travel trailer for living quarters and use those tracts until you see if your kids are going to stick to it ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7925918 08/06/20 04:10 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Oh, we will use it till we get a good offer. We have a small cabin and electricity, just planning on what to do after it sells, if we get a solid offer on the rest.

Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7926067 08/06/20 05:59 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
My .02 cents.

Plan A - hope deal falls through then pull of the market until you know the hunting bug sticks with them.

Plan B - Day lease for does, put in for TWPD youth tags (good chance to draw one) and/or just line up some guided hunts for the next couple of years. If the kids REALLY take to it, buy another place (you can afford it obviously). Finding a family friendly lease is a PITA and usually a heartache in the end.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7926304 08/06/20 09:45 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
At 10 and 13 years old, if they haven’t shown much interest in it thus far they may just have a passing flirtation with hunting ( I have it with fishing ) I would proceed as usual with the sale of the property. Take the proceeds after closing and go on a few nice guided exotic hunts. See if they really get the itch.

My kids were real into hunting at 10 years old now one can take it or leave it and the other goes willingly but isn’t into the ranch work and off season stuff.

Kids these days just arnt passionate about stuff like we were if they love to fish that’s a good thing

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7926882 08/07/20 12:37 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by JohnRussell

R

Day lease doesn't sound like too bad of an idea for what you are wanting or even some package hunts for the kiddos.

The other suggestion I'd make is getting on a smaller lease. What I mean is find a place that is affordable to you and lease the entire thing so that it is 'your family lease'. That way you don't have to put up with other knuckleheads and their BS and only have to worry about your relationship with the landowner. They are not too easy to find but I'm sure you can find something that would work. maybe not this year but for the future.....book a couple of less expensive management or doe hunts for the kids this year in the meanwhile to get your backstraps and sausage. banana

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7926925 08/07/20 01:19 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Stop chasing your kids whims. Do things with them that doesn’t cost money. They will grow up better people and appreciate things they have.

Book hunts where you can take the family. Red deer, stag hunts like that with a nice lodge/resort. That will make them want to do it again.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7926978 08/07/20 02:28 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Oh, I hear ya Horn... i agree totally. I simplified the issue, but I can tell they are doing it to spend time with me more than a "whim" hence why I was debating the alternatives.

So, looks like the offer/counter did not get accepted... so far, so we may have it a bit longer. Either way, I think the real issue with hunting is finding the right people. I mean, growing up, it was never as much about hunting as it was being with my dad and him being with "the guys", so, have to find the right group. Erathkid and Predator were always a blast at the ranch, and most the others too, but for a few, it was about hunting, not being out there with us...and eh.. like I said.. complicated.

So, I am going to do doe/day leases and see how much they enjoy it. I also think I need to find a gun range locally and see how they like shooting.

For now, the boat is a lot of fun as I have always owned a boat, till we got the ranch, and they literally have to be forced to stop catching lol... So, I know they like that. Now, I am making them learn to clean what they catch as they have to learn to respect and take care of that...

@txtrophy85 nailed it... kids these days, less interested... but you know what? Just hit me....we do too much for them... it was easier to clean the animals and fish for them than to show them, and that was my fault. I think they need to start being part of the entire process.

Amazing.. I know.. side-tracked... but as we all grew up, we remember hearing parents say, "I want to give you better than I had"... and look at us now... we lose a lot of what we had in the process.

So, hunting needs to be all in, like it or not, so... we start small. We get them used to shooting. Time for me to get them a small shotgun and see how they like skeet.. lol.. so they can actually shoot those guns, get used to it...

Sorry, off on a tangent...

@erathkid - Mike.. I'll call you this weekend. Boat should be ready soon. I am replacing a lot of things on it to get it ready still.. probably in time for Tuna.. let's make plans to head out there and do some fishing and then maybe I can find a dove lease or a day / doe lease and you and Mark need to join us and hang out. You guys are just what they need to see to understand the fun of hunting... not about the kill, about the times around the hunting wink

I'll call you heh

R

p.s. Thanks guys... gotta go mow.. but I really appreciate and agree with all the input. I was shocked they decided to want to hunt.. but I told them they are in or they are out.. but no more coddling.. they can learn to hunt the way I did.. and even at 13, still time wink

Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: JohnRussell] #7927511 08/07/20 10:55 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Sounds great, Russ. My schedule is extremely flexible

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Kids decided they want to hunt..... really? [Re: Creekrunner] #7929269 08/09/20 09:10 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Contact Don K on here and take your kids to his place. You will see and shoot deer and gauge their true interest in hunting.

LETS GO BRANDON
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide