P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by 7mag
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I could survive and take care of a fair number of people if SHTF, but I sure would like to go back to pre-covid life sometime soon.

yep, agree. But...........when is that going to happen???

Some time after Nov 3

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925008 08/05/20 06:39 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If it really gets bad many will die. If you have a place with food out in the country and think you can defend it, you’re going to be surprised when about 100 to 200 heavily armed show up as a horde working together. That’s after watching you from long distance a day or two and then sniping the head of the household. They will just take everything you have and move on.

I also never understood the fear of not having toilet paper. There are ok alternatives just using soap and water.

To be determined
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925014 08/05/20 06:46 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by Payne
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by oldrancher
I didn't know there was a third book either. I will be getting that one also.

They have a box set for looks like $25, think I'm going to buy it because honestly I don't know where my copy of one second after is. I'd like to read them all the way throuhg.

Here is the last one in the series.

Link

Got a link for the box set?

Well not a box set, it just asked me to add all three to my cart at the same time LOL.

But here are the links in order.

One Second After
One Year After
The Final Day

Lights Out

[Linked Image]

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925017 08/05/20 06:47 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Yep. We'll make it. I hope there are no intruders but we'll make it.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925019 08/05/20 06:51 PM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Thanks, i'm stacking hay so you and janie have separate spaces to house your family's during the zombie apocalypse

rc it's easy to stock those in calm times same with generators and fuel

[Linked Image]
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925025 08/05/20 07:00 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Im not thinking about making it through a month without, im thinking the end of the world as we know it.

Most on here cant get their lawnmower to run after it sat with gas in it for a month lol yeah wonder how stock piling gas and a generator is going to work out. Hope yall like grasshopers.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: ducknbass] #7925026 08/05/20 07:02 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Originally Posted by redchevy
When every person in America is killing deer/hogs/fish etc. to feed their family how long you thing its gonna last before there are none?

Every person won't be. Only those capable.

True enough and you must be capable of defending your declared hunting land.....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: Payne] #7925027 08/05/20 07:03 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
Thanks, i'm stacking hay so you and janie have separate spaces to house your family's during the zombie apocalypse

rc it's easy to stock those in calm times same with generators and fuel

up

[Linked Image]

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: bill oxner] #7925028 08/05/20 07:04 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by bill oxner
We didn't have electricity until,after the big war. My parents raised a family of 4 without it until the REA hooked us up.

[Linked Image]

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 603Country] #7925034 08/05/20 07:09 PM
B
bucksnbass357 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by 603Country
Think of the large cities, where no food is grown, and all is imported. I think I read that 90% of large city populations would die from riots and starvation. The other 10% would come looking for the things that we country folks have, and attempt to take it from us.

You want to read a chilling book? Read One Second After. It’s the US one second after a huge electromagnetic pulse. The book scared me to death, and I’ve read that the government has used that book for a basis on hardening our grid and our military against an EMP. If you have an old truck and/or tractor that can’t be disabled by an EMP, now’s the time to give them a hug and kind words.

It was a great book, but I still think about it sometimes.

Good advice here. Read the book, it will be life changing

An EMP would likely result in a 90+ percent die rate here in America

Most will die from drinking impure water

Most will not make it long enough to starve to death

Water. Water. Water and multiple ways to purify it.

JMHO

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: redchevy] #7925047 08/05/20 07:28 PM
20bore Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted by 20bore
My ice cream freezer also has a hand crank so I’m good.

Where you get the cream and sugar and ice and rock salt from?

Walmart, obviously.

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925052 08/05/20 07:34 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
To be honest, I am buried so deep in the city getting out would be a challenge. I do have a trailer and could live off the grid for awhile. I know how to survive. Problem is 98% of the land is privately owned in Texas. It would be difficult to find a place to "squat" without getting shot at or asked to get off the property. Do need natural resources, living in far west Texas or New Mexico with little water or much game would not be smart move.

Does make me wonder.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: bucksnbass357] #7925053 08/05/20 07:36 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by bucksnbass357
Think of the large cities, where no food is grown, and all is imported. I think I read that 90% of large city populations would die from riots and starvation. The other 10% would come looking for the things that we country folks have, and attempt to take it from us.

You want to read a chilling book? Read One Second After. It’s the US one second after a huge electromagnetic pulse. The book scared me to death, and I’ve read that the government has used that book for a basis on hardening our grid and our military against an EMP. If you have an old truck and/or tractor that can’t be disabled by an EMP, now’s the time to give them a hug and kind words.

It was a great book, but I still think about it sometimes.

Good advice here. Read the book, it will be life changing

An EMP would likely result in a 90+ percent die rate here in America

Most will die from drinking impure water

Most will not make it long enough to starve to death

Water. Water. Water and multiple ways to purify it.

JMHO

Exactly why I tell my wife we will not sell my place in the country. I have some pristine well water that is so cold you can fill a pool with it and have to wait 2 days before it's warm enough to get in it. We got water and a green house that I'm working on. There is plenty of game for the time being. Grandma showed us how to live off the land even when she lived 2 miles from the city limits.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925061 08/05/20 07:44 PM
P
Pigsicles Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Bugging out or bunkering in place will be a tough decision for many folks.
Just look what a hurricane does to the roadways as folks try to evacuate.
In a grid down scenario (non EMP) the roads will be a vary dangerous place I do believe.

Pulsar Trail XQ50
Pulsar HD 19A
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: redchevy] #7925063 08/05/20 07:45 PM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Im not thinking about making it through a month without, im thinking the end of the world as we know it.

Most on here cant get their lawnmower to run after it sat with gas in it for a month lol yeah wonder how stock piling gas and a generator is going to work out. Hope yall like grasshopers.

you might want to think about that first month, most people won't make it that long if it truly hits the fan.

no one has a fool proof plan after that, that's when you start to adapt to your new world.

[Linked Image]
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: Payne] #7925073 08/05/20 07:55 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

you might want to think about that first month, most people won't make it that long if it truly hits the fan.

no one has a fool proof plan after that, that's when you start to adapt to your new world.

Payne is right. After a month, most of population is gone, and you will have groups getting together for common defense and survival, and then other groups getting together to take what the first groups have. Just have to survive the first month...

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925081 08/05/20 08:02 PM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
TXHOGSLAYER is going to be a real life Leeroy Jenkins..

[Linked Image]
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925106 08/05/20 08:27 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The idea of living off the land sounds good, but in reality won’t work so well. Back when my Mom was alive, she loaned me a book that was written by a woman in the 1930’s. She lived near us in a big run-down plantation home, and I knew her when she was a very old woman. The book was memoirs of her life in the 30’s, before WWII. Since I knew her, the book was particularly interesting, but there were parts that were a shock to me. The shock was about food. They hunted and fished hard, and ate what they could get. Squirrels, turtles, deer, the occasional rabbit. The place where they were trying to survive was where I grew up, along the Mississippi River in NE Louisiana. When I grew up, game was extremely plentiful, but it had been hunted to near extinction during the Great Depression. Reading the book clarified something my Grandfather had told me, which was his helping to reintroduce deer to the area, since there were none at that time due to food demands. I don’t know when the reintroduction happened, and I didn’t know at the time why deer needed to be brought in.

When I was a teenager, I remember a compliment that an old black lady (Blanche Johnson) used to use. She worked for the family for over 50 years, and helped raise me. We loved her and she was family. The compliment was, and I can still hear her say it, “Lawd, you so fat and fine”. She had lived through the Depression, and there were no fat people apparently. Being fat and fine, to her, was the best possible way to be. When I was older, and brought my wife-to-be home to meet my family, Blanche really liked her and told her “Lawd, you so fat and fine”, and my girlfriend took it to mean she was fat. That didn’t go so well, but we got past it.

So, if the hard times come again, you won’t need to diet.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925110 08/05/20 08:29 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
How many will be able to last a week without their phone?

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: dogcatcher] #7925114 08/05/20 08:33 PM
TX_LT230FH Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
How many will be able to last a week without their phone?

They'll probably last longer than than it takes for the billion-posters heads to explode because their computers are shut down.

[Linked Image]
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 603Country] #7925117 08/05/20 08:35 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
The idea of living off the land sounds good, but in reality won’t work so well. Back when my Mom was alive, she loaned me a book that was written by a woman in the 1930’s. She lived near us in a big run-down plantation home, and I knew her when she was a very old woman. The book was memoirs of her life in the 30’s, before WWII. Since I knew her, the book was particularly interesting, but there were parts that were a shock to me. The shock was about food. They hunted and fished hard, and ate what they could get. Squirrels, turtles, deer, the occasional rabbit. The place where they were trying to survive was where I grew up, along the Mississippi River in NE Louisiana. When I grew up, game was extremely plentiful, but it had been hunted to near extinction during the Great Depression. Reading the book clarified something my Grandfather had told me, which was his helping to reintroduce deer to the area, since there were none at that time due to food demands. I don’t know when the reintroduction happened, and I didn’t know at the time why deer needed to be brought in.

When I was a teenager, I remember a compliment that an old black lady (Blanche Johnson) used to use. She worked for the family for over 50 years, and helped raise me. We loved her and she was family. The compliment was, and I can still hear her say it, “Lawd, you so fat and fine”. She had lived through the Depression, and there were no fat people apparently. Being fat and fine, to her, was the best possible way to be. When I was older, and brought my wife-to-be home to meet my family, Blanche really liked her and told her “Lawd, you so fat and fine”, and my girlfriend took it to mean she was fat. That didn’t go so well, but we got past it.

Good stuff sir.

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 603Country] #7925118 08/05/20 08:35 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

We recently had a thread on THF about your momma's cooking. Most wouldn't even eat liver and onions.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: ducknbass] #7925130 08/05/20 08:52 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ducknbass

Good stuff sir.

'Can't remember where I read it, but it was a lengthy description of a Texas hill country woman's life before electricity. It made the man's job working in the field look like a walk in the park. I've been in a German homestead kitchen, without a/c, with the wood stove going...in August; getting ready to cook what we cut off the lambs. (You sheep farmers correct me if August is too late to cut. It's been 50 years, but I do know it was hotter'n hell.) I heard my momma callin' (our place was next door). grin

That article made me realize why, although he was as crooked as a dog's hind leg, LBJ was considered a god to some, ushering in the rural electric cooperatives.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925147 08/05/20 09:10 PM
C
Cool Mo D Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Wonder if you can still buy C-Rats? barf

Last edited by Cool Mo D; 08/05/20 09:14 PM.
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925153 08/05/20 09:16 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
a lot of good reading in this topic ... and I can relate to some of it. Both of my parents were raised thru the depression and knew exactly what hard times were. I grew up hearing about some of the hard ships they lived thru during their earlier years.

Water would be likely my biggest concern ... glad I have artisan springs on my place. Several haven't been dry since the late 1800s when the earliest records reflect a stage coach stop about 3 days ride outside of Austin heading towards Abilene.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide