Print Thread
Donating wild pigs to needy families. #7920459 08/01/20 06:02 PM
N
noxqses Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
N
Our lease has an abundance of wild pigs like most places in Texas. What are the rules and regulations on donating the meat to needy families in the area of the lease? Do they follow the same rules as donating deer meat?

Why don't we have time to do things right the first time, but always have time to do things over, and over, and over?
Re: Donating wild pigs to needy families. [Re: noxqses] #7920686 08/01/20 11:37 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Not exactly. Hog meat cannot be publicly distributed without first having the animal inspected while alive and then after being killed. This is why feral hog meat from hunters cannot be donated to shelters, but deer meat can. Feral hog meat is treated just like domestic hog meat (same animal, after all) for which the regulations involve a pre and post mortem inspection.

You can distribute hog meat to your friends. A lot of us have done it. If you want to make friends with the locals and give them some of the proceeds of your hunting, as I understand it, that is fine, just like it would be okay if you gave some to your next door neighbor or your cousin.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Donating wild pigs to needy families. [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7921606 08/03/20 12:30 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Not exactly. Hog meat cannot be publicly distributed without first having the animal inspected while alive and then after being killed. This is why feral hog meat from hunters cannot be donated to shelters, but deer meat can. Feral hog meat is treated just like domestic hog meat (same animal, after all) for which the regulations involve a pre and post mortem inspection.

You can distribute hog meat to your friends. A lot of us have done it. If you want to make friends with the locals and give them some of the proceeds of your hunting, as I understand it, that is fine, just like it would be okay if you gave some to your next door neighbor or your cousin.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Donating wild pigs to needy families. [Re: noxqses] #7921858 08/03/20 03:51 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Like DNS said, it just can't be a public or official deal. You can donate all of the pork you want "from hunting" to needy families person to person, I've done a lot of it.

If you pursue this though, you will learn that eventually everyone wants their meat cleaned/packaged/delivered to them. I used to do that too, nope not anymore, unless it's a special circumstance (elders). In general, people are lazy. There's a lot of folks out there that claim they are starving, they just wish they had a pig or two, but when you call them at 1-4 am with a bunch of dead pigs to clean all of a sudden they're not starving any more.

It's a noble concept, just don't hurt your back like I did for people who wouldn't do it for you. You'll know it when you meet a TRULY needy family that is willing to help you with the work.

Re: Donating wild pigs to needy families. [Re: skinnerback] #7921940 08/03/20 06:23 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Like DNS said, it just can't be a public or official deal. You can donate all of the pork you want "from hunting" to needy families person to person, I've done a lot of it.

If you pursue this though, you will learn that eventually everyone wants their meat cleaned/packaged/delivered to them. I used to do that too, nope not anymore, unless it's a special circumstance (elders). In general, people are lazy. There's a lot of folks out there that claim they are starving, they just wish they had a pig or two, but when you call them at 1-4 am with a bunch of dead pigs to clean all of a sudden they're not starving any more.

It's a noble concept, just don't hurt your back like I did for people who wouldn't do it for you. You'll know it when you meet a TRULY needy family that is willing to help you with the work.

Sound advice. Cleaning pigs will sort the hungry from the handout seekers.

Re: Donating wild pigs to needy families. [Re: noxqses] #7922011 08/03/20 11:55 AM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Yep. I tell them they can can come shoot all the pigs they want for free as long as they clean them and take them. Some people just want to kill for the he77 of it and not use the meat. If i wanted that to be the case there would be dead pigs all over.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Donating wild pigs to needy families. [Re: Sneaky] #7922068 08/03/20 01:01 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sneaky

Sound advice. Cleaning pigs will sort the hungry from the handout seekers.

That's the truth

Re: Donating wild pigs to needy families. [Re: noxqses] #7922299 08/03/20 04:01 PM
H
Hunt Dog Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Trap them and donate them live??

Re: Donating wild pigs to needy families. [Re: noxqses] #7922319 08/03/20 04:15 PM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Another option would be letting a mentored hunt program come out and hunt, kill, and clean them. The Texas Youth Hunting Program and Texas Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Programs are run through the Texas Wildlife Association and provide everything for the hunt. All a landowner needs to give is access. The programs even provide landowner liability insurance, so no worries there. Long running program with great history of success. By doing this, you are also helping the cause of hunting by providing more hunters the opportunity to get in the field and learn.

You said it was a lease, so I guess this would be connecting the program with the landowner. You could then, if you and the landowner wanted, be the landowners agent and work with the program to administer the hunt. And or guide on the hunt. Send me a PM if you want more info, or connect with a representative of the program yourself.

In any case, great thing you are wanting to do, no matter how it works out.

Also, I thought there were some Hunters for the Hungry processors that could/would take hogs, but that may have ended some years ago.

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: Donating wild pigs to needy families. [Re: noxqses] #7922470 08/03/20 06:21 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
I have offered up dozens of pigs that I have shot to people in the community that say they need the meat. Ill give you a guess on how many have actually showed up and another guess on how big my bone pile is.

Re: Donating wild pigs to needy families. [Re: noxqses] #7922834 08/03/20 11:03 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
I just bought 7.5# of center cut pork chops at Costco for $10. That comes out to around $1.50 per pound. It's not even worth the effort to clean a pig when you can buy it at those prices.

Re: Donating wild pigs to needy families. [Re: Gringo Bling] #7922889 08/03/20 11:51 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
I just bought 7.5# of center cut pork chops at Costco for $10. That comes out to around $1.50 per pound. It's not even worth the effort to clean a pig when you can buy it at those prices.

It’s worth it to me.

Re: Donating wild pigs to needy families. [Re: mickeyhft] #7923170 08/04/20 06:35 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by mickeyhft
Also, I thought there were some Hunters for the Hungry processors that could/would take hogs, but that may have ended some years ago.

Because it is ILLEGAL.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide