Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cubing Points [Re: Chronotrigger] #7916545 07/28/20 11:14 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Chronotrigger
Good to know, very glad you guys brought this to my attention. It seems like y'all are very knowledgeable in this process so would like to ask a couple of questions. Just want to make sure but it appears that you only get one loyalty point per year per category regardless of if you apply to 3 separate hunts within a given category or just the one. Is that correct? If so I wasted money last year being that I applied to alot of hunts thinking that even if they are not my most desired hunt that I would be building points toward the future. Also, if you get drawn for a hunt within a category whether you buy the permit or not does it reset your points back to zero for that particulsr category? If so, it is unwise to apply unless you are certain you would want to go on that hunt. Looks like I will be much more careful with what I apply to moving forward. Thanks for any reply.

You get one Point per year per category, regardless of how many hunts you apply for in a category.

You lose your points when you are drawn for a hunt.

Re: Cubing Points [Re: Erny] #7916850 07/29/20 02:57 AM
C
Chronotrigger Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Thank you Sir. Guess I won't be applying to as many hunts as I have in the past.

Re: Cubing Points [Re: mickeyhft] #7916851 07/29/20 02:58 AM
A
Aggieduck Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Yes even if you get drawn and don't buy the permit the points are gone.

Re: Cubing Points [Re: mickeyhft] #7918063 07/30/20 04:20 AM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
flame

Re: Cubing Points [Re: mickeyhft] #7918612 07/30/20 07:08 PM
T
TxHuntFish Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Hadn't seen this until now. My 4,5,6 points don't look as good anymore !! Good thing I found and booked a couple of hunts from those posted on the outfitters forum !!

Re: Cubing Points [Re: TxHuntFish] #7921925 08/03/20 04:59 AM
R
RedRaider13 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted by TxHuntFish
Hadn't seen this until now. My 4,5,6 points don't look as good anymore !! Good thing I found and booked a couple of hunts from those posted on the outfitters forum !!

I thought the draw odds were bad before... with a cubed point system it makes the odds down right horrible. I had 5 points in all categories but I will no longer be applying. Money better spent in other ways. Thanks guys for bringing this to my attention.

Re: Cubing Points [Re: RedRaider13] #7922284 08/03/20 03:45 PM
T
TexasATC Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Seems to me that this cubing approach would wipe out the high point holders pretty quickly. Giving us 5,6,7 point holder guys a better chance. Is that an inaccurate assumption?

Last edited by TexasATC; 08/03/20 03:46 PM.
Re: Cubing Points [Re: TexasATC] #7922297 08/03/20 04:00 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by TexasATC
Is that an inaccurate assumption?

When you make an assumption, you make an a$$ out of you and umption. grin

Just messin with you. Yea, That sounds about right. Maybe that's why they cubed points instead of squared them like other states.

Re: Cubing Points [Re: TexasATC] #7922478 08/03/20 06:30 PM
R
RedRaider13 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted by TexasATC
Seems to me that this cubing approach would wipe out the high point holders pretty quickly. Giving us 5,6,7 point holder guys a better chance. Is that an inaccurate assumption?

You are partly correct. On the lower demand hunts (antlerless deer) it will certainly help to flush through the higher point holders.

On the high demand hunts (bighorn, pronghorn, exotics etc.) because so few tags are given out, they will never cycle through the higher point holders 15-20+points. The change unfortunately all but ensure lower point holders will never draw in their lifetime.

Re: Cubing Points [Re: mickeyhft] #7922483 08/03/20 06:37 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Can you get drawn in a category, such as Gun Deer - Either, and your astronomical point count of 15,000 still be applied towards the other Gun Deer - Either that you applied for in the same year?

Or does it only apply to the first one you hit on?

Are they drawn in a certain order for the same category? If so, then how is that determined? If not and all of the hunts in the same category are drawn at the same time then shouldn't all of the points be credited towards all of the hunts in the same category?

Re: Cubing Points [Re: mickeyhft] #7925122 08/05/20 08:41 PM
T
TrackQuack Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
THF - please find the response from TPWD - really glad they are always accessible when reaching out.

I can definitely appreciate their perspective and realize they will not please everyone. I still think cubing as far as a weighting is ridiculous however we can all voice are opinion after the season when the survey comes out.

"You’re are correct in that we (Public Hunting Program) have been considering making some changes to the Loyalty Points for several years. The Public Hunting Program sends out a survey every other season (last one being in 2019) to obtain feedback on what we are doing well and what we need to improve on. We ask for levels of satisfaction on various program aspects. Since transitioning to an on-line drawing system and accepting multiple applications from hunters, the number of applications we receive annually has tripled. We have noted over the course of several surveys the level of dissatisfaction with our Loyalty Points increasing. Survey responses also match comments that our staff at our public hunt locations receive annually from public hunters. At the same time, the levels of satisfaction with the ability to submit more than one application within a hunt category has remained constant (75%).

Beginning in 2017, after the results of that season’s public hunt survey, members of Public Hunt Technical Committee began discussing how to increase the value of Loyalty Points while still maintaining the public preference for submitting multiple application within a hunt category. The Public Hunting Technical Committee is comprised of Wildlife Management Area, State Park and regional wildlife staff with decades of knowledge and experience with public hunters and public hunting. After several meetings and numerous discussions, cubing was determined to be the simplest and most direct method to accomplish this.

The drawing will, essentially, be run exactly the same way as before, however, we will now cube the number of times the application is in the draw before that draw is run. An application with the most loyalty points would still not be guaranteed a permit before another hunter with less loyalty points who is in the same draw pool, but their odds of drawing a permit would be increased over someone else in the draw pool with fewer loyalty points. The cubing of loyalty points also does not impact the number of loyalty points a hunter can acquire in any given year (one point per year per category).

We believe the Public Hunt Draw System to be a fair method of distributing hunting opportunity across the many areas of Texas. We appreciate all feedback about our program and understand that by listening to hunters such as yourself, we will be better able to fulfill our mission to provide more hunting opportunity. The next Public Hunt Program Survey should be emailed early next year – probably March 2021.?

Re: Cubing Points [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7925569 08/06/20 03:47 AM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
Can you get drawn in a category, such as Gun Deer - Either, and your astronomical point count of 15,000 still be applied towards the other Gun Deer - Either that you applied for in the same year?

Are they drawn in a certain order for the same category? If so, then how is that determined? If not and all of the hunts in the same category are drawn at the same time then shouldn't all of the points be credited towards all of the hunts in the same category?

Over on texasbowhunter someone posted once you draw points go away for the remaining draws, I guess they draw in the order they are listed which is basically alphabetical

Last edited by bossbowman; 08/06/20 03:48 AM.
Re: Cubing Points [Re: bossbowman] #7925864 08/06/20 03:31 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted by bossbowman
Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

Over on texasbowhunter someone posted once you draw points go away for the remaining draws, I guess they draw in the order they are listed which is basically alphabetical

I contacted TPWD and the confirmed what Bossbowman said. Once you draw a hunt in a category all the following drawing in that category including the second draw.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide