Print Thread
Best pop up blind for the money? #7921801 08/03/20 03:01 AM
W
WatersFowler Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
On a new lease this year and don't want to put up the big blinds until the place proves it is worthy. Looking to put up some pop ups a few weeks before season starts and leave them out all year. Any recommendations on blinds that can hold up to the weather would be appreciated. I want one that up to 4 people could sit in if necessary and not looking to break the bank. Thanks!

Go ------------> elmer
Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: WatersFowler] #7921827 08/03/20 03:26 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I have owned and hunted in a lot of pop up blinds over the years on different properties, here is my advice.

If there are cows on the property, don't plan on leaving them up long term. Even brushed in and staked down good, they're gonna tare it up eventually.

Pop up blinds left up for more than a couple weeks become spider incubators in my neck of the woods anyway. The last time I set 2 up 3 weeks before bow season brushed in real good, went to crawl in early in the morning, and both of them were FULL of black widows. 1 female to every 200 males, and there must have been 20 females in each. I still have nightmares about that chit.

Pop up blinds are great for short term, I've built a lot of them out of all sorts of material and have been successful (carpet blinds built with EMT & outdoor carpet/they fold up). Putting them out for a season and you are asking for trouble.

If you want a longer term ground blind, build open (on the top) blinds and build them well. They will last a lot longer than pop ups, but you're going to have to pay more attention to wind and body scent if you want to be successful. Pop ups hold your scent in a lot better, but not meant to be long term hunting blinds.

Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: WatersFowler] #7922179 08/03/20 02:48 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I leave my popups for months at a time, just drop in a bug bomb in september, spray with permethrin, and hang a hotshot no pest strip. IMO a popup is only going to be good for 2-3 seasons anyway. Taking down, putting up can be hard on those blinds, especially if you brush them in like I do. Best bang for buck however would be build a bale blind. A few pieces of lumber, a couple sheets of plywood, roll of chicken wire, black plastic sheeting, a retention blanket. Voila!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: WatersFowler] #7922191 08/03/20 02:58 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Build a hay bale blind and put as much or little effort as you want. Take a 16 x50" cattle panel and bend it over and nail with fence staples each bottom edge to a treated 2x4. Take heavy duty black mil plastic cover and then cover that with a tarp, zip tie it everywhere. cut brush and pile on top and around sides. for more permanent ones I also fully enclose back and fronts and cut out window. Not much cost.

STXranchman has posted his spec on these several times which uses coconut road barrier too. Plenty of room for 2 and 3.

To get 4 persons in a commercial build pop up then look at the Cabela's XL.

Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: WatersFowler] #7922230 08/03/20 03:22 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Not a pop up but an easy build http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/hay-bale-blind-lessons-learned.3311/

Years ago we did a similar build, used concrete remesh covered it with black plastic, then old burlap sacks, all zip tied on. Cut out window areas, and build wood frames with plexiglas that were zip tied in place. 2 people could easily move it.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: WatersFowler] #7922255 08/03/20 03:29 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
4 people in a pop-up ain't happening, comfortably. I sent you a PM.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: WatersFowler] #7922302 08/03/20 04:04 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I would not waste money buying a popup if you are going to put up permanent blinds next year. Put that money into blinds this year. I would build or buy the blinds I like now and set them up on the ground in the location I like this year. I would then put them on towers after the season. What many find out after hunting one season from ground blinds is that putting them on a tall tower is not needed.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: WatersFowler] #7922322 08/03/20 04:17 PM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
The main thing I'll say about pop ups is that the inexpensive ones tend to have a shine to them that game does not like, especially deer, especially close, under 50-75 yards. So whatever you get, if it looks shiny to you, like tent material, then it will glow to them. Really brushing it in can eliminate some of this, but only some.

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: mickeyhft] #7922374 08/03/20 05:25 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by mickeyhft
The main thing I'll say about pop ups is that the inexpensive ones tend to have a shine to them that game does not like, especially deer, especially close, under 50-75 yards. So whatever you get, if it looks shiny to you, like tent material, then it will glow to them. Really brushing it in can eliminate some of this, but only some.

I enjoy hunting from pop-ups but would be the first to admit deer recognize them immediately no matter how hard you try to make them blend into their surroundings. Then it seems to take a couple months (at least) sitting idle before they start paying them less attention. I also believe permanent ground blinds built so they don't stand out are far better than wooden box stands which mature bucks seem to learn to avoid for life. With so many Texas hunters after them, there are reasons why a buck can avoid a bullet for years on end.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/03/20 05:30 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: Texas Dan] #7922385 08/03/20 05:33 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

I enjoy hunting from pop-ups but would be the first to admit deer recognize them immediately no matter how hard you try to make them blend into their surroundings. Then it seems to take a couple months (at least) sitting idle before they start paying them less attention. I also believe permanent ground blinds built so they don't stand out are far better than wooden box stands which mature bucks seem to learn to avoid for life. With so many Texas hunters after them, there are reasons why a buck can avoid a bullet for years on end.

I've put them out in the morning & hunted them in them that same evening, w/multiple deer w/in 20yds.

Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: LFD2037] #7922405 08/03/20 05:44 PM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted by LFD2037
[quote=mickeyhft]The main thing I'll say about pop ups is that the inexpensive ones tend to have a shine to them that game does not like, especially deer, especially close, under 50-75 yards. So whatever you get, if it looks shiny to you, like tent material, then it will glow to them. Really brushing it in can eliminate some of this, but only some.

I've put them out in the morning & hunted them in them that same evening, w/multiple deer w/in 20yds.

For sure with good soft cloth pop ups you can do that, especially if well brushed in.

Last edited by mickeyhft; 08/03/20 05:44 PM.

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: WatersFowler] #7922458 08/03/20 06:13 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I have seen one of these in a 6' model and they are well made. They are sturdy and heavier also than a standard popup. You can get them in various sizes from one person up to large enough for 4. Fast setup and take down also once you get used to it. They are pricey so by the time you buy one of these you can buy the materials and build one permanent blind.
https://www.hawkhunting.com/down-and-out-blinds/

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: WatersFowler] #7922459 08/03/20 06:14 PM
R
rogerh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
This one in the background has worked well for about 4 years

[Linked Image]

Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: WatersFowler] #7922537 08/03/20 07:27 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I've got about $25 in this ground blind 5 x 8. I used on hand materials of treated 2x4 for base, 16' cattle panels rolled over fence stapling ends inside the length bases, cut used cedar fence pickets and wired them under cut window opens to allow stapling (lots of staples) of heavy black mill used to cover frame, then covered with a heavy duty used blue 18 wheeler truckers tarp. I renforced base corners with triangle corner pieces of plywood. Used fence pickets around window frames and door frame wired to cattle panel which made easy for stapling black plastic and then the truckers tarp. Easy to drag by hand or with atv. Set in place and brush it in. Have deer walking within 5 feet regularly... 20 yards to near side of feeder pen. Very dry, quite and dark inside which allows for freedom of movement inside (real plus when I have hunting visitors with me in blind. On really cold days just fire up little buddy heater and it's plenty toasty.

See me?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Always ready 2 hunt; 08/03/20 07:31 PM.
Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: stxranchman] #7922705 08/03/20 09:40 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I have seen one of these in a 6' model and they are well made. They are sturdy and heavier also than a standard popup. You can get them in various sizes from one person up to large enough for 4. Fast setup and take down also once you get used to it. They are pricey so by the time you buy one of these you can buy the materials and build one permanent blind.
https://www.hawkhunting.com/down-and-out-blinds/

Red Neck makes a similiar one for $100's less.

Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: LFD2037] #7922741 08/03/20 09:59 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by LFD2037

There's an old saying that the best time to hunt a new stand is the first time you crawl into it. I killed my best out-of-state (Mississippi) buck in a ladder stand that I had put up just 90 minutes earlier. IMO, the fist time is best because you tend to catch the deer by surprise and before they catch on to why it's there. Over the course of time and your scent has been left after several hunts, deer learn to associate the stand with the presence of humans. This falls in line with a study that was done in South Carolina that included tracking the movements of radio-collared bucks to see how they reacted to stand sites that were being hunted over an entire season. It found that because of the scent we leave behind, deer will avoid stands for several days after they had been occupied by hunters. The study also found that deer were still in the area but simply altered their movements until the area had quieted down so to speak. IMO, it's also important to differentiate between deer that have become accustomed to people and their scent and those in areas where human activity is not near as frequent. I like to equate this to the difference between squirrels in your yard and those in the woods that run at the first glimpse of you.

Footnote: My experience has also been that while some pop-ups are easy to put up, there are others that might require watching a YouTube video if you want to do it without breaking them.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/03/20 10:36 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Best pop up blind for the money? [Re: WatersFowler] #7923879 08/04/20 08:56 PM
G
GHale Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I had a Redneck soft side blind and loved it! Plenty of room and easy to take down and put up. Left mine up all season and was still in great shape after 2 years using it.

[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide