Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Need Recommendations on a Recurve #7917629 07/29/20 10:02 PM
skinnerback Online Content OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
I owned and shot a recurve for a while, but that was 26 yrs ago. I always hunted with my compound, then went to a crossbow after a shoulder injury. Shoulder is better, but not 100%. For some reason, I'm getting the recurve itch. Have been looking at them on-line. I'm not looking to break the bank, but any recommendations on a decent recurve to shoot a few critters would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: skinnerback] #7917718 07/29/20 11:35 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Depends on what you can draw and how much you want to spend. If you can't draw much (25-35 pounds) and are on a real tight budget, then something like one of the galaxy or sage take downs would probably be the way to go. Then as you built strength you could buy a set of heavier limbs in the 45 pound range and go hunting. They are good shooters, but my least favorite option. Not that they are bad, there is just something about them that i am not crazy about

For a little more money and the option I like best is pick up a used bear or Howatt in the 45 pound range, if you can't draw 45, you can always bu a lighter weight one and have it for a form/ target bow the rest of the year.

Whatever you buy get one long enough for your draw length and remember that most stock bows are listed weight @28", so if you draw longer or shorter than that the weight will not be what is printed on the bow.

Good luck

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: skinnerback] #7917719 07/29/20 11:35 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
For getting into the game Samick Sage is not that expensive take down bow and different # limbs are easy find. To me They shoot pretty good and I know people that hunt with them and are successful.

Of course there are many others.

Cabela's Warden is a decent shooting one piece bow for not that much $

Last edited by kmon1; 07/29/20 11:37 PM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: skinnerback] #7917757 07/29/20 11:58 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Thanks fellas. Up until I tore my shoulder, I was shooting my bow at 68-70 lbs (not going that high now). 45 will be no problem. I'm going to look at the bows you mentioned, thanks again.

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: kmon11] #7918081 07/30/20 05:07 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by kmon1
For getting into the game Samick Sage is not that expensive take down bow and different # limbs are easy find. To me They shoot pretty good and I know people that hunt with them and are successful.

I picked up a used Samick to play with small game only, it has better capabilities that I do, one blind eye messes with distance and perception. I also came across a used cheap import, in my opinion it is a $40 import 30 pound pull. Both shoot better than my eyes can aim. At 30 pound pull I can handle them, my old Bear recurve at 45 pound pull has become a wall hanger. At about $65 for both, I am satisfied.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: dogcatcher] #7918101 07/30/20 08:58 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

I picked up a used Samick to play with small game only, it has better capabilities that I do, one blind eye messes with distance and perception. I also came across a used cheap import, in my opinion it is a $40 import 30 pound pull. Both shoot better than my eyes can aim. At 30 pound pull I can handle them, my old Bear recurve at 45 pound pull has become a wall hanger. At about $65 for both, I am satisfied.

Good stuff Sir. Guess I'm in a story telling mood, so I'll go ahead and tell a story about an old man and his bow.

When I was a boy, I met a man named Floyd Jones. My dad was a Police Officer at the time he met Mr Jones. Dad got a call about a suspicious person creeping around the Aransas Pass High School one night. Dad loved catching people. He parked his car down the road and walked to the school alone in the dark. He saw this old man shooting what appeared to be a recurve bow, and was creeping & staking from light to light, tree to tree. Dad said, WTH is he doing? I'm gonna watch for a little while....long story short, Mr Jones was killing skunks. At that time, everyone said skunks were rabid and were biting kids & giving them rabies, so Mr Jones decided to thin the population as a good Samaritan. When my ol' man finally approached Mr Jones and asked him WTH he was doing, Dad said he didn't hesitate and said that he was shooting skunks through the eyes, trying to thin the threat because of rabies. Dad said BS you're shooting skunks through the eyes with that stick & string at night.....Mr Jones then told my Dad to "Come Here" and showed him a pile of skunks all shot through the eyes/head. Mr Jones said if you shoot them through the brain, they don't spray. Dad said show me. So he did. Mr Jones found another skunk with my ol' man behind him, and shot it right through both eye sockets with his recurve on the school grounds. Dad met a new best friend that night.

They soon started hunting together all over Texas and made a trip to Utah bowhunting. I remember Mr Jones well and what he could do with a recurve bow. His skills were truly amazing, have only seen skills like that on TV. We went dove hunting together and Mr Jones always got his limit first shooting his bow and "Flu Flu" arrows before all of us shotgunners. I don't ever remember him missing a dove. I had a 4/10 sitting next to him and wasn't hitting squat at 7 yrs old, but remember well Mr Jones hitting dove in the air every shot with that bow. Later, I watched him do all sorts of trick shooting that you wouldn't believe. We would drop styrofoam cups from 25-100 yrds, and that old man would put a freakin' arrow through all of them with his old recurve bow like it was nothing and just grin.

I was a young man/17-18 when he died, my Dad & I were there at the very end trying to help him and his family. He had a big collection of harmonicas. If he wasn't shooting his bow, or doing his job as an underwater welder, he was just sitting there alone playing a harmonica. At the end of his life, I sat there next to him just trying to communicate. He was losing his mind, and wasn't very receptive. I asked him, Mr Jones, how is it possible that you are such a good shot with your bow & arrow?

He said this.."I've never shot a gun in my life, I've shot my bow every day since I was a little boy. You have to practice all the time".

Those were his last words. RIP Mr Jones. A legend that will never be known.

Sorry about the long story, but IMO he deserves to be remembered.

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: skinnerback] #7918182 07/30/20 12:22 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

Good stuff Sir. Guess I'm in a story telling mood, so I'll go ahead and tell a story about an old man and his bow.

When I was a boy, I met a man named Floyd Jones. My dad was a Police Officer at the time he met Mr Jones. Dad got a call about a suspicious person creeping around the Aransas Pass High School one night. Dad loved catching people. He parked his car down the road and walked to the school alone in the dark. He saw this old man shooting what appeared to be a recurve bow, and was creeping & staking from light to light, tree to tree. Dad said, WTH is he doing? I'm gonna watch for a little while....long story short, Mr Jones was killing skunks. At that time, everyone said skunks were rabid and were biting kids & giving them rabies, so Mr Jones decided to thin the population as a good Samaritan. When my ol' man finally approached Mr Jones and asked him WTH he was doing, Dad said he didn't hesitate and said that he was shooting skunks through the eyes, trying to thin the threat because of rabies. Dad said BS you're shooting skunks through the eyes with that stick & string at night.....Mr Jones then told my Dad to "Come Here" and showed him a pile of skunks all shot through the eyes/head. Mr Jones said if you shoot them through the brain, they don't spray. Dad said show me. So he did. Mr Jones found another skunk with my ol' man behind him, and shot it right through both eye sockets with his recurve on the school grounds. Dad met a new best friend that night.

They soon started hunting together all over Texas and made a trip to Utah bowhunting. I remember Mr Jones well and what he could do with a recurve bow. His skills were truly amazing, have only seen skills like that on TV. We went dove hunting together and Mr Jones always got his limit first shooting his bow and "Flu Flu" arrows before all of us shotgunners. I don't ever remember him missing a dove. I had a 4/10 sitting next to him and wasn't hitting squat at 7 yrs old, but remember well Mr Jones hitting dove in the air every shot with that bow. Later, I watched him do all sorts of trick shooting that you wouldn't believe. We would drop styrofoam cups from 25-100 yrds, and that old man would put a freakin' arrow through all of them with his old recurve bow like it was nothing and just grin.

I was a young man/17-18 when he died, my Dad & I were there at the very end trying to help him and his family. He had a big collection of harmonicas. If he wasn't shooting his bow, or doing his job as an underwater welder, he was just sitting there alone playing a harmonica. At the end of his life, I sat there next to him just trying to communicate. He was losing his mind, and wasn't very receptive. I asked him, Mr Jones, how is it possible that you are such a good shot with your bow & arrow?

He said this.."I've never shot a gun in my life, I've shot my bow every day since I was a little boy. You have to practice all the time".

Those were his last words. RIP Mr Jones. A legend that will never be known.

Good Story, thanks for sharing

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: skinnerback] #7918208 07/30/20 12:45 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Thanks for sharing Skinnerback

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: kmon11] #7918429 07/30/20 04:12 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C

+ 1 on the Samick

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: kmon11] #7918587 07/30/20 06:24 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Thanks for sharing Skinnerback

up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: skinnerback] #7918838 07/30/20 10:44 PM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Excellent story about a great 'known to you' man. I sure enjoyed it - thanks! Makes me want a Sage as well and I don't even need it, as if that's a requirement. smile

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: RJH1] #7920973 08/02/20 12:17 PM
R
redhaze Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Some great story, thanks for sharing.

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: skinnerback] #7922018 08/03/20 11:58 AM
B
bjankowski Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Another for a Samick Sage; I have a lot of bows in all price ranges sizes and draw weights. I shoot every day even if it's only 25 or 30 arrows mostly with my competition bows and a few with my hunting bows. A couple of times a week I'll fling a few from my 50# Samick Sage. Shoots as well and smooth as some of the more expensive bows I have. Hard to beat for money, I'm always looking on Ebay for a sleeper, never know when you run across a gem, there are some pretty good sage deals on Ebay.

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: bjankowski] #7922595 08/03/20 08:29 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Thanks for all of the advice, I'm going with the Samick Sage. Now just need to figure out arrows....

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: skinnerback] #7922687 08/03/20 09:31 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Not sure what poundage or length you will need but these are made by Goldtip and not bad priced now. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/beman-centershot-traditional-carbon-hunting-arrows?rrec=true

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: kmon11] #7922774 08/03/20 10:21 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Not sure what poundage or length you will need but these are made by Goldtip and not bad priced now. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/beman-centershot-traditional-carbon-hunting-arrows?rrec=true

Gracias Senor.

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: skinnerback] #7922821 08/03/20 10:55 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I might go ahead and order a dozen for myself. They il keep in my closet as well as they would in their warehouse. 600 for my setup is a little light on one but great on the other. The 45lb Bear Lodiak Mag in 45@29 inches 600s with 125gr head works well. with the same bow and draw length but poundage is 53 at 29 inches 500s with a 150 head and 75gr inserts works very well for me.

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: kmon11] #7922855 08/03/20 11:25 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Good info, thank you.

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: skinnerback] #7925236 08/05/20 10:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Skinner, traditional riser/grips differ with every maker, best to find a place that has a traditional guy on staff and go try a bunch.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: skinnerback] #7929223 08/09/20 08:27 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I have a Sage Samick. I was shooting a 70 pound browning compound and every year I'd have to work into it, until I could pull it back no problem 10 times in a row. The only thing I don't like about compounds are they are sort of heavy. I use a peep sight. In any event I went back to a recurve. I got a 40 pound all fiberglass just to shoot and practice and I was sort of surprised how hard the arrows hit. This guy told me with heavy arrows they'd go through a small deer standing broadside. In any event I got a 55 pound Samick recurve and used that two years ago. It was a little hard to draw, hold steadfy and shoot than I thought. Shooting the 70 pound recurve I just assumed I would be able to hold the Samick rock steady. I bought a couple of more limbs at 45 pound and that I really like. The arrow speed is a little less than the 55 but there is a curve, you have to proportionally go much high in draw weight to get just a bit more in speed. Fred Bear once wrote that if the broadhead stays in the rib cage and the deer runs it will tear up the lungs and cause a quicker harvest. In any event for the time being I'm happy with 45. If I went after elk I'd use the 55.

Re: Need Recommendations on a Recurve [Re: skinnerback] #7945793 08/22/20 12:29 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted by skinnerback
[quote=dogcatcher][quote=kmon1]

You are right, he does.....and now he is

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide