Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: kry226] #7918876 07/30/20 11:08 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yep, 'bought all 4 kids a decent used car in high school, as my father did. Wouldn't change that one bit. They all did well and graduated college.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: Creekrunner] #7918880 07/30/20 11:11 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Yep, 'bought all 4 kids a decent used car in high school, as my father did. Wouldn't change that one bit. They all did well and graduated college.

Key. "They all did well and graduated college." cheers

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: bill oxner] #7918898 07/30/20 11:20 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Yet you buy them cars in Highschool. I went to college without a car. It paid off more than a car would have.

Nobody still plows mules Bill....

I gave each of my three sons $5k when they were learning to drive. They could buy any car they wanted for more or less money. I put in the $5k, they had to cover the rest, gas, and insurance on their own...

And I didn’t pay a dime towards their college. I invested 4 years of my life in the Army to be able to afford college. If it’s important to them they will work it out.

Oh, the oldest is married and getting a degree in mechanical engineering. Middle son enlisted in the Army. Youngest son working on a business/marketing degree.

We are there to help...but, it will be much more meaningful for them to do it on their own.... 2cents

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: kry226] #7918981 07/31/20 12:31 AM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Our twin boys got my 10 year old Chevy truck to share the first year they got their drivers license. After a year they had to decide who got the truck and who was going to get a used vehicle. The first twin out of the oven kept the truck and his brother got a used Pontiac Grand Am that had hand crank windows. They had to get after school jobs in high school to pay for their gas and to start saving for college. When the younger bought a new car the used one was passed down to their sister. All three helped pay their way thru college bussing tables at Olive Garden, sure did give them an incentive to make good grades. All 3 graduated and have jobs. Electrical Engineer, Business degree and a Psychology degree for my daughter. She has admitted she made a mistake switching from Mechanical Engineer to a do nothing degree.
I went to trade school to be a machinist, then a maintenance mechanic apprenticeship, then was sent to non-destructive testing training classes and finally to get API-510 and API-570 certified. My out of pocket for all of this training was my room and board at the trade school, all of the other training was paid for by my employer. My electrical engineer son is getting close to earning what I was making when I retired 2 years ago.
Hard work and never turning down a challenge will carry you a long way in life.

Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7918982 07/31/20 12:32 AM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Yet you buy them cars in Highschool. I went to college without a car. It paid off more than a car would have.

I gave each of my three sons $5k when they were learning to drive. They could buy any car they wanted for more or less money. I put in the $5k, they had to cover the rest, gas, and insurance on their own...

And I didn’t pay a dime towards their college. I invested 4 years of my life in the Army to be able to afford college. If it’s important to them they will work it out.

Oh, the oldest is married and getting a degree in mechanical engineering. Middle son enlisted in the Army. Youngest son working on a business/marketing degree.

We are there to help...but, it will be much more meaningful for them to do it on their own.... 2cents

Sounds like great parenting to me.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: kry226] #7918993 07/31/20 12:39 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
College will change, but it isn't going anywhere.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: don k] #7918997 07/31/20 12:43 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by don k
I never went to any type of school of higher learning. They probably let me graduate from Bandera High School so they would not have to put up with me anymore. Later on in life one of my bosses that I worked for asked me if I had gone to college. I was working on his airplane at the time. I told him no and why he asked. He said that was a shame because though I was probably as smart or smarter that I would never make as much money as a college graduate. I asked him why and he told me because they put in the time to farther their education. I proved him wrong as I got my A&P license to sign off work on airplanes and then got my Flight Engineer license for a Boeing 727. Education is a great tool. But working hard and learning while you work is also a great tool. Use them both and that person will succed.

Yes sir, right hear.

Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: Jimbo1] #7919025 07/31/20 01:10 AM
kry226 Offline OP
The General
OP Offline
The General
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Sounds like great parenting to me.

x2!

[Linked Image]
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: kry226] #7919034 07/31/20 01:19 AM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Colleges are liberal conversion centers. The Dems wont let them go away

[Linked Image]
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: kry226] #7919046 07/31/20 01:33 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I went to college ..... signed up for engineering but then I found out I didn’t get to drive a train so I switched majors.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: kry226] #7919142 07/31/20 03:19 AM
A
Ag Hunter 78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Sure miss the good old days of $4 an hour for tuition at state Texas colleges. My parents didn't have a penny to get me a car, much less pay for my college. After my 4-year stint I made it all on my own on the GI bill, about $300 a month. When I graduated from A&M, I left not owing a penny to anybody. I actually left with money in my pocket by selling the small trailer I stayed in while attending.

No prayer in school....What's next, no thinking in church?
It's not just about pie in the sky when you die. It's also about steak on your plate while you wait!
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: kry226] #7919154 07/31/20 03:39 AM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Went to D2 college on football scholarship...got degree and taught school/coached for 4yrs. No money in Ed and coaching was rather obvious compared to what I wanted in life. Jumped on some biz opportunities...quit the teach/coach thing and never looked back. Best decision I ever made. Loved college and playin ball but really did nothing with my degree but honestly, I loved the partying in college...what can I say. confused2

Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: redchevy] #7919171 07/31/20 04:16 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by redchevy
I went to college. I had debt. I wouldn't have the job I do, be where I am, have met the woman I married, or have any of my best friends without, or fondest memories without college. College is what you make of it.

Exactly right. But if the end result of sending my kid to 10 years if college is lower costs, then I am all for it.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #7919233 07/31/20 11:27 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted by redchevy
I went to college. I had debt. I wouldn't have the job I do, be where I am, have met the woman I married, or have any of my best friends without, or fondest memories without college. College is what you make of it.

Exactly right. But if the end result of sending my kid to 10 years if college is lower costs, then I am all for it.

They are not free when in high school.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: kry226] #7919237 07/31/20 11:36 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Wish there was some way to reform our universities.

If it wasn't for meeting my wife and having a lot of fun, going to college was a complete waste of time for me.

I have two very bright daughters who will probably be able to go almost anywhere they would like. However, I have not encouraged them to go to college unless they know what they want to do, have a plan and it's required for them to get a job in that field.

I felt like over half my classes had nothing to do with what I was there for.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: Nathan at Fork] #7919261 07/31/20 12:15 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Nathan at Fork

I'm afraid you're right. Where else will they be taught self-loathing and how to reject their parents' values?

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: kry226] #7919295 07/31/20 01:10 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Online is right - once the prof's realize they can record their boring lectures just once,
then just click 'play' year after year, and still collect a salary...( even after they're dead eek2 )

I just sat thru an 'interactive' training session - the lecture was pre-recorded but all the 'interaction' was processed by computer/AI. muyloco

Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: BradyBuck] #7919298 07/31/20 01:14 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
Wish there was some way to reform our universities.
I felt like over half my classes had nothing to do with what I was there for.

That was my main complaint. I paid for my own college. The first two years were BS. I could have graduated with the exact knowledge I needed to start my career in computer science two years sooner.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: Creekrunner] #7919301 07/31/20 01:16 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

I'm afraid you're right. Where else will they be taught self-loathing and how to reject their parents' values?

Maybe you should be looking at different colleges? I, my wife, and kids (last one is a senior this year), went to Christian universities (albeit a couple of different ones) and it didn't turn out that way at all. confused2

Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #7919315 07/31/20 01:36 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer

Maybe you should be looking at different colleges? I, my wife, and kids (last one is a senior this year), went to Christian universities (albeit a couple of different ones) and it didn't turn out that way at all. confused2

Like SMU or TCU?

[Linked Image]

Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #7919323 07/31/20 01:47 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Hell my wife, and son both graduated from a pretty liberal university UT, and both are conservatives..... and remember for the most part these kids come out and realize sooner or later that their values aline more with the republican party. Especially when uncle Sam starts taking their money. I think sometimes we forget how gullible we were when we were young.... How smart was the 21 year old you?

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 07/31/20 01:47 PM.
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: S.A. hunter] #7919367 07/31/20 02:29 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

Hell my wife, and son both graduated from a pretty liberal university UT, and both are conservatives..... and remember for the most part these kids come out and realize sooner or later that their values aline more with the republican party. Especially when uncle Sam starts taking their money. I think sometimes we forget how gullible we were when we were young.... How smart was the 21 year old you?

I say you gotta give your kids a little more credit... and maybe if four years of college is all it takes to convert them to lefties you didnt do a very good job instilling your views and beliefs in them before they shipped out. College never once had even the slightest effect on my political or moral views.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: kry226] #7919371 07/31/20 02:32 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Do you want fries with that? confused2

[Linked Image]

Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: bill oxner] #7919439 07/31/20 03:23 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Do you want fries with that? confused2

I love fries, yes please.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Why College Is Never Coming Back [Re: kry226] #7919446 07/31/20 03:27 PM
S