Print Thread
Feeder time #7918966 07/31/20 12:18 AM
U
USMC89 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
U
I’m putting up a couple of new timers on my feeders and can’t remember what times sunrise/set is during season. If I remember right I used to set them at 7am and 5 pm

Re: Feeder time [Re: USMC89] #7918977 07/31/20 12:28 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
7am is fine for the beginning of the season, but at the end, you won't be able to see a thing at 7 and bucks can check it out and leave before you can make them out. Lease manager and I used to go round and round about it.

I set 7:30a.m. and 4:30p.m. and never change it.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Feeder time [Re: USMC89] #7918978 07/31/20 12:28 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Google sunrise/sunset for whatever the closest town is. It changes by region and time of year....

Re: Feeder time [Re: USMC89] #7919095 07/31/20 02:15 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by USMC89
I’m putting up a couple of new timers on my feeders and can’t remember what times sunrise/set is during season. If I remember right I used to set them at 7am and 5 pm

I like 7:00 and 5:00, enough light to legally shoot and early enough that the deer still feel protection.

Re: Feeder time [Re: USMC89] #7919149 07/31/20 03:31 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Mine was set at 7:30 am and 4:30 pm, stayed that way from September through first week in January.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Feeder time [Re: USMC89] #7919212 07/31/20 10:01 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
7:15 AM and 4:15 PM.

5:00 PM is considered ridiculous here.

Re: Feeder time [Re: USMC89] #7919223 07/31/20 11:00 AM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
USMC - that's a great question and it can require some critical thinking. Let me explain some of the hurdles we have tried to overcome.
The sunrise/sunset times are important and internet sites can provide that data. Once you review the data for your area you can see how much the average
time changes per day and make a note of that. For example in our area the days get shorter about 1 minute per day. Then you can use your cell phone
and look at sunrise/sunset times. We have gone to the 600 lb feeders so that we do not have to fill them as often and not go into the area as much.
You can shoot 30 minutes before sunrise so we try to set our feeders in the morning for sunrise time and we know that about 30 days later it is right at shooting time.
If you set them too late in the morning we get quail and other birds to come and eat the corn and if it is too late in the morning then the deer go and eat at the other
feeders on the ranches next to ours plus the deer we have do not like to be out too much in the late morning. They like the early morning and near dusk time.
When the dinner bell goes off they want to eat. So every 30 days or so we adjust the timer again to help manage deer to keep coming to our
feeders. This is our problem and maybe most people do not have those challenges on their places. The late afternoon times seem to be easier - we just throw a little bit more corn
and if it sits there until it gets a little later near dusk that works. I hope this makes sense and maybe provides some thoughts for others.

Re: Feeder time [Re: USMC89] #7919241 07/31/20 11:42 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
For hunting season I feed 4 times per day starting Sept 1st or so. The first setting is 10-15 minutes after daylight then 45 minutes later that morning. That afternoon I feed at 4:30 or bit later then 45 minutes later. I adjust my feeders every 2 weeks during the season since I live here. In off season I feed twice per day and feed at 10-15 minutes after daylight then at sundown in the evenings. I still adjust the feeders every 2 weeks accordingly. When I feed twice per day the setting closer to darker times gets the longer run time. It depends on which feeder as to whether I put more run time in the morning or evening time sets due to deer activity.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Feeder time [Re: B_Man] #7920280 08/01/20 02:30 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by B_Man
USMC - that's a great question and it can require some critical thinking. Let me explain some of the hurdles we have tried to overcome.
The sunrise/sunset times are important and internet sites can provide that data. Once you review the data for your area you can see how much the average
time changes per day and make a note of that. For example in our area the days get shorter about 1 minute per day. Then you can use your cell phone
and look at sunrise/sunset times. We have gone to the 600 lb feeders so that we do not have to fill them as often and not go into the area as much.
You can shoot 30 minutes before sunrise so we try to set our feeders in the morning for sunrise time and we know that about 30 days later it is right at shooting time.
If you set them too late in the morning we get quail and other birds to come and eat the corn and if it is too late in the morning then the deer go and eat at the other
feeders on the ranches next to ours plus the deer we have do not like to be out too much in the late morning. They like the early morning and near dusk time.
When the dinner bell goes off they want to eat. So every 30 days or so we adjust the timer again to help manage deer to keep coming to our
feeders. This is our problem and maybe most people do not have those challenges on their places. The late afternoon times seem to be easier - we just throw a little bit more corn
and if it sits there until it gets a little later near dusk that works. I hope this makes sense and maybe provides some thoughts for others.

BMan, thats the best explanation ive seen. We have lots of feeders and do very much the same thing. Once season is close we fill every 4 weeks rather they need it or not cause I like to check on them and because the times and settings need adjusting. Like you said, if you set them to go off at sunrise then a month later they will be going off right at daylight and if its overcast thats too early. Dont worry much about the pm time, we set it about two hours before dark. Like STX said, we will set a second throw in the am but just in certain situations. We pay a member to handle all the filling and maintenance and they are all set the same and fill same time. Pushing almost 30 feeders it can get out of hand if you dont have a good system.
There are some on here that will give us a hard time for over thinking this but I know it helps. It you havent really looked at how much the daylight and dark times change over the course of the season you will really be surprised.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide