texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
LUKE22, WBRC, having fun now, GingerFredMan, ECBwHntr
70566 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,641
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 64,129
stxranchman 60,263
Gravytrain 46,950
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
BMD 41,241
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics616,062
Posts11,410,937
Members85,566
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Anyone carry a 2011? #7916075 07/28/20 03:55 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 24,397
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 24,397
First off I carry appendix carry and can make my G34 competition gun with huge magwell disappear, so not really worried about the size.

I carry a Shadow Systems MR920 at the moment in a side car holster with extra mag. It has a red dot on it, which I'm not sold on yet, think I like regular sights better. But that is another discussion, for another day.

I just got a Kriss Vector in 10mm and I'm intrigued with the round. I figure why not carry one of the baddest calibers out there for SD. So I started looking and almost all 10mm besides the Glock (large frame too big for my hand) and XD which I'm not really fond of, are all single stack. Mostly 1911's, which I really like 1911's and could conceal a fullsize with no problem. What I'm not a fan of is the 8 round capacity of the 1911.

Enter the 2011, I've never even held one before, but I've always loved the look. You get all the awesomness of the 1911, but in double stack. Could carry 29 rounds of ammo compared to the 17 rounds with the 1911.

So long question shot, do any of you carry the 2011? Are they a reliable self defense gun or are they finicky competition toys that need to be tinkered with to get them to run.

Biggest question is how does the grip on a STI compare to the large frame glock grip? Are they the same? Is the 2011 bigger/smaller?

Thanks in advance.


[Linked Image] [Linked Image]



Re: Anyone carry a 2011? [Re: KRoyal] #7916102 07/28/20 04:13 PM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,051
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,051
Not sure what SD position you're in if you need 29 rounds of ammo for a concealed carry gun. I'm not arguing necessity or value of hi cap magazines, nor am I comparing this to an AR. A "truck gun" gives you distance and greater accuracy plus capacity. A concealed pistol loses both of those which is why I bring it back to capacity.

In the spirit of staying on topic, I would go back to your reasoning for a 2011. You started out on a 10mm and wound back up at a 9mm. It seems like you're trying to find the right gun to carry and be happy with day in and day out. Testing/holding them will solve part of that equation, but the other part is trial and error (i.e. flipping guns). Both rounds are great, a 10mm obviously packs more punch and would share the same pills that your KV takes. At the end of the day, it won't matter if you aren't happy with the sight picture, feel, and function which is gun and user dependent more than caliber dependent.

Re: Anyone carry a 2011? [Re: KRoyal] #7916190 07/28/20 05:37 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,047
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,047
My para runs great.

But I don’t carry it. It’s too big for a carry gun IMO.


The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Anyone carry a 2011? [Re: KRoyal] #7916198 07/28/20 05:45 PM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,307
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,307
The S&W M&P 2.0 is now available in .45 with 14 round double stack mags.

It is a bit more trim and lighter than a 2011 and also feels more trim in hand than a G21.

Just another option that might be of interest.

Re: Anyone carry a 2011? [Re: KRoyal] #7916205 07/28/20 05:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,952
S
scot Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,952
Have you handled a Gen 3 20SF, grip is much more reasonable if you don’t care for the feeling of the full grip 2x4 grip

Re: Anyone carry a 2011? [Re: KRoyal] #7916228 07/28/20 06:16 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,189
9
9x19 Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
9
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,189
I've carried a Para Ordnance framed 1911 in the past (back when all they made were bare frames).

That frame was aluminum so it wasnt that bad, 13 rounds of 200gr .45 made it pretty heavy, but back then, heavy was the norm.

Re: Anyone carry a 2011? [Re: TLew] #7916238 07/28/20 06:24 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 24,397
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 24,397
Originally Posted by TLew
Not sure what SD position you're in if you need 29 rounds of ammo for a concealed carry gun. I'm not arguing necessity or value of hi cap magazines, nor am I comparing this to an AR. A "truck gun" gives you distance and greater accuracy plus capacity. A concealed pistol loses both of those which is why I bring it back to capacity.

In the spirit of staying on topic, I would go back to your reasoning for a 2011. You started out on a 10mm and wound back up at a 9mm. It seems like you're trying to find the right gun to carry and be happy with day in and day out. Testing/holding them will solve part of that equation, but the other part is trial and error (i.e. flipping guns). Both rounds are great, a 10mm obviously packs more punch and would share the same pills that your KV takes. At the end of the day, it won't matter if you aren't happy with the sight picture, feel, and function which is gun and user dependent more than caliber dependent.


Thanks, I’ll thankfully never ever use my concealed gun for self defense where I live. However, I’m like a Boy Scout “be prepared”. Since all this craziness has all started I’ve since got me a Vertx bag “grey man carry” with a full trauma kit and the KV inside with flush fit mag and 2 30 round mags. I also got the premier body armor back pack panel for it as well. Once my red dot mount comes in I’ll be carrying the KV with me daily to work. Call me paranoid but you never know.

I haven’t ever carried the 10mm before and went back to 9mm. I’ve always carried the 9, but after getting the KV and reading up on the 10mm I figured why not carry the big boy. Now finding a gun that I want/like in 10mm is another story.

I shoot both the Glock and 1911 pretty much the same. 1911 a little better because of the single action trigger.


[Linked Image] [Linked Image]



Re: Anyone carry a 2011? [Re: scot] #7916239 07/28/20 06:25 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 24,397
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 24,397
Originally Posted by scot
Have you handled a Gen 3 20SF, grip is much more reasonable if you don’t care for the feeling of the full grip 2x4 grip

The SF frame is the one I held. Still too big for my hand.


[Linked Image] [Linked Image]



Re: Anyone carry a 2011? [Re: 9x19] #7916242 07/28/20 06:27 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 24,397
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 24,397
Originally Posted by jeffbird
The S&W M&P 2.0 is now available in .45 with 14 round double stack mags.

It is a bit more trim and lighter than a 2011 and also feels more trim in hand than a G21.

Just another option that might be of interest.


Originally Posted by 9x19
I've carried a Para Ordnance framed 1911 in the past (back when all they made were bare frames).

That frame was aluminum so it wasnt that bad, 13 rounds of 200gr .45 made it pretty heavy, but back then, heavy was the norm.


Thanks, since I don’t want to load for another caliber I’m trying to keep it between 9mm and 10mm. If I can’t find something that fits me good I’ll probably stay with the shadow systems because I love it. Was just really thinking out loud and getting other inputs.


[Linked Image] [Linked Image]



Re: Anyone carry a 2011? [Re: KRoyal] #7916726 07/29/20 01:31 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 633
C
casterbuster Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
C
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 633
Check out Rock Island Armory Ultra Match HC 10mm holds 16+1


Seek first to understand... before trying to be understood
Re: Anyone carry a 2011? [Re: casterbuster] #7916739 07/29/20 01:40 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 24,397
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 24,397
Originally Posted by casterbuster
Check out Rock Island Armory Ultra Match HC 10mm holds 16+1

Think they’re built on or a similar frame as the Para that Tactical Cowboy referenced. I have held one of the Rock double stacks in 22TCM and it felt like the Large Frame Glock to me.


[Linked Image] [Linked Image]



Re: Anyone carry a 2011? [Re: KRoyal] #7916831 07/29/20 02:44 AM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 856
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 856
Rock Island's are a boat anchor,they are way heavier than a Para or STI frame.

Re: Anyone carry a 2011? [Re: KRoyal] #7916899 07/29/20 03:50 AM
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 386
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
R
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 386
I just ordered a Staccato C2 Duo to try out for carrying. I've got probably 5K rounds through a P model, and I Carried a friend's to test out for a few days and liked it enough to lay down the money for my own to carry. only concern now is pretty limited holster options, so I'll probably spend a good bit on that. I'll carry it with an RMR.

I started toying with carrying a 2011 (a staccato specifically) because from a sheer timing perspective, I can shoot them faster than a Glock. running apples to apples drills, Im usually 10ish% faster on splits with a Staccato P than a glock 17. I can also shoot slightly better groups with them while maintaining that slightly faster speed. Toss in that I shoot WITH a carry optics slightly faster (measured on a G17MOS with and without an RMR), that is 3 seperate variable I am pushing my direction in a potential gunfight, two that are specific to the 2011, one that is given by the CO. I like that idea. a lot.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3