Hunting in the USA #7914501 07/27/20 08:37 AM
D
Dimitri Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Hi everyone

Could you give me a brief explanation about the hunting model in the USA, please?

In South Africa it happens as follows with regard to furred game:

1. Provincial game reserves ("public" land).
- Probably 1% of all hunting
- The Govt advertises hunts for the purpose of culling excess animals.
- Most hunts are purchased on a first-come-first served basis. Others have a lucky draw system where you apply and if your number gets drawn you can purchase the hunt.

2. High-fence properties
- If a landowner high-fences his property according to government specifications then he owns the game that appears on his exemption certificate and can hunt any amount of that game throughout the year if he wants to.
- Most SA and overseas hunters hunt on these properties

3. "Open farms" (not high-fenced)
- These properties are subject to provincial hunting seasons, bag limits and permitted species permitted according to the annual hunting proclamations.

In 2 & 3 you book your hunt with the landowner/outfitter.
Some landowners have arrangements with outfitters whereby their properties are available to be used as the outfitters "concession" (not necessarily exclusive) and the landowner normally takes a fee for the game shot and possibly a day fee as well.

From what I understand, you have similar models to the above and, in addition, you get farmers who lease their properties for a period of time to an individual who then has exclusive use of that property where he can hunt the game for which he has tags.

Perhaps the biggest difference is the amount of hunting done on public land in the US and the rules that regulate that?

Re: Hunting in the USA [Re: Dimitri] #7914649 07/27/20 01:57 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Our country is broken down into states much like the provinces you have in RSA.

Public land in each state varies and bag limits and seasons are set by the states. On public land some of it is first come first serve with tags being available over the counter others its a limited entry or draw where you are in a lottery for a tag.

Private land can be leased to outfitters or individuals but still have to abide by state and federal bag limits and seasons.

On high fence places it depends on thr state. In Texas for instance native game like turkey, deer have limits and seasons set by state but exotics like axis and aoudad have no season or bag limit and are property of the landowner

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting in the USA [Re: Dimitri] #7914653 07/27/20 02:00 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
welcome ta texasHF...

More appropriate title...

Hunting in Texas

From what read (got D- in grammar), in OP
South Africa & texas are pretty simular..
& thar b a big difference in rest of USA...

Just my 2cents i got cheap posts...

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hunting in the USA [Re: Dimitri] #7914709 07/27/20 02:32 PM
D
Dimitri Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Thanks guys.

In Texas do you get allocated a specific area of public land that is for your exclusive use?

A friend of mine now lives in New South Wales, Australia. He tells me that, for feral animals, citizens can book to hunt on state land in NSW on a first-come-first served basis. Apparently you log onto the website, check availability, book your dates and pay the modest fee. You get allocated an area of a few thousand hectares for your exclusive use. You may not cross into another hunter's area and the app on your phone lets you know if you have. The warden can monitor who is where over the entire combined hunting area. You can shoot as many feral animals as you like and there is no season. Wild boar, fallow deer, sika deer, red deer, foxes, wildcats, feral dogs, feral goats/sheep etc etc are all fair game.

Re: Hunting in the USA [Re: Dimitri] #7914743 07/27/20 02:51 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Not public land. Here anyone can hunt it as long as you have a tag. No exclusive concessions

In Canada from what I hear outfitters can have exclusive use of provincial lands.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting in the USA [Re: Dimitri] #7917224 07/29/20 03:33 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by Dimitri
Thanks guys.

In Texas do you get allocated a specific area of public land that is for your exclusive use?

A friend of mine now lives in New South Wales, Australia. He tells me that, for feral animals, citizens can book to hunt on state land in NSW on a first-come-first served basis. Apparently you log onto the website, check availability, book your dates and pay the modest fee. You get allocated an area of a few thousand hectares for your exclusive use. You may not cross into another hunter's area and the app on your phone lets you know if you have. The warden can monitor who is where over the entire combined hunting area. You can shoot as many feral animals as you like and there is no season. Wild boar, fallow deer, sika deer, red deer, foxes, wildcats, feral dogs, feral goats/sheep etc etc are all fair game.

Sounds like a nice concept NSW has setup, but our hunter to land ratio would never allow something like that.

In many western states like Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico... the state is divided into "hunting units". Generally your tags are restricted to a unit or set of units to limit the number of hunters in any one area. Tags are handed out on a draw basis or allotted to land owners for the most popular units. In some areas you can get over-the-counter tags where game is numerous and needs higher levels of harvest to maintain balance.

I LIKE the idea of a hunting app that tracks your location and keeps you within the bounds of you hunting unit. Would cut down on poaching and mistakes.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Hunting in the USA [Re: Dimitri] #7917245 07/29/20 03:55 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
One important thing you have to take into consideration, and it was touched on earlier, is that each of the 50 States sets it's own hunting/fishing laws so there is no one rule across the land. There is some Federal oversight on some things, mostly migratory waterfowl.
Next is private vs public lands. Some states are mostly public land but Texas is about 90% privately held land. 10,000 acre family owned ranches are pretty common and the owner(s) can set if, and how, hunting is allowed.
Lots of people from public land states are more than willing to pay to come hunt on private ranches here in Texas.

Re: Hunting in the USA [Re: Dimitri] #8065108 11/26/20 08:48 AM
D
Dimitri Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Hi everyone,

I'm still learning about hunting in the US. I've found the disputes with regard to leases quite interesting as we don't have the lease model in SA. In the US you have a lot of free-ranging exotics to hunt, in addition to your indigenous game, whereas in South Africa the only notable free-ranging exotic that we have is fallow deer. As with hunting in SA the predominant hunting method used varies from province to province and region to region. However, I'm interested to know: of all the game shot using a RIFLE by RECREATIONAL HUNTERS in Texas each year, what % of game does each hunting method account for?

__% Spot & stalk
__% Walk & stalk (still hunting)
__% Shot from a vehicle
__% Driven hunt (animals are pushed or driven to where hunters are waiting)
__% Shot from a stand/hide over water/feed/firebreak

In SA as a whole, my guess is as follows:

30% Walk & stalk (still hunting)
30% Shot from a vehicle
20% Driven hunt (animals are pushed or driven to where hunters are waiting)
15% Spot & stalk
5% Shot from a stand/hide over water/feed/firebreak

Re: Hunting in the USA [Re: Dimitri] #8065163 11/26/20 12:49 PM
H
HWY72 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
The overwhelming majority will be from some type of "stand/hide over water/feed/firebreak".

Next would be from a vehicle - typically raised platform or seats "Safari" style or driven to a spot and used as a stand.

Re: Hunting in the USA [Re: Dimitri] #8065251 11/26/20 02:21 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
My educated guess based on hunting several states in the US.

_7_% Spot & stalk (I assume you mean spot from vehicle or horseback and then stalked)
_15_% Walk & stalk (still hunting)
_5_% Shot from a vehicle (typically high rack rigs on private property). Shooting from public roads is illegal.
_3_% Driven hunt (illegal in many states due to safety issues)
_70_% Shot from a stand/hide over water/feed/firebreak or high travel trails.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Hunting in the USA [Re: dkershen] #8065575 11/26/20 05:50 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by dkershen
My educated guess based on hunting several states in the US.

_7_% Spot & stalk (I assume you mean spot from vehicle or horseback and then stalked)
_15_% Walk & stalk (still hunting)
_5_% Shot from a vehicle (typically high rack rigs on private property). Shooting from public roads is illegal.
_3_% Driven hunt (illegal in many states due to safety issues)
_70_% Shot from a stand/hide over water/feed/firebreak or high travel trails.

Roughly this^^^. In Texas more stand than 70% my guess.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide