Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,582
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: Roll-Tide] #7913913 07/26/20 07:04 PM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My dad was going to do the Costa Rica route but ultimately didn't because of health issues.

Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: cbump] #7913914 07/26/20 07:06 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by cbump
Thought you were joking about the 450. I'd get a 1 ton for sure but not a 450.

Same truck different suspension.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: Roll-Tide] #7913917 07/26/20 07:10 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Think Id go the yacht to live on. Probably just on a lake.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: Halfadozen] #7913976 07/26/20 08:27 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Halfadozen
Costa Rica is an ex-pat haven for Americans - many do exactly what you talk about. You will not lose your Social Security and there are actually good healthcare systems in CR for ex-pats. My FIL deeply studied it, but the most affordable places were in the mountains and he is a flatlander.
Some folks retire as Park Hosts at State parks here in Texas - rent and tax free - only downside you are living in a park trailer.

Why would anyone loose their Social Security? Never heard of a soul moving to another country and loosing Social Security, many US Embassy around the world have a social security area inside them.

Even some Non US Citizen who qualify for Social Security can get their benefits if they qualify even if they go back to their home country, Mostly people from Europe, South Korea, Japan, etc..

Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: Roll-Tide] #7913994 07/26/20 08:43 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I always heard Panama has excellent health care you can buy insurance from the government for a fraction of a cost of what you would pay in the USA, if you retire there as an expat

Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7913998 07/26/20 08:47 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Guess I was thinking about the trucks that look like little 18 wheeler cabs. lol

Last edited by cbump; 07/26/20 08:47 PM.
Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: Roll-Tide] #7914068 07/26/20 09:57 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
This was many years ago, but my brother was getting a divorce & he started looking around for the most economical (cheapest) place to live on an early retirement income. He is a hardcore bass fisherman & WT deer hunter so he was considering Zapata, Texas! Low cost of living & lots of fishing at Lake Falcon. Some of the biggest bucks come from around there too. You could easily cross the border for an evening of dining or just go shopping for your everyday goods at low prices. It's not Belise but what the heck!

Since then though the whole Mexico & drugs danger has gotten very real. I don't plan to ever cross the border again. Interesting thought for a base homestead though.

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: Roll-Tide] #7914318 07/27/20 12:49 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I love my daughters and grandkids too much to leave the area must less the country.
Most of my land is in ag exemption but we still pay to much is taxes.

We are going to rent a house in Colorado for a couple summer months a year for a few years after I retire in a couple years. But we will have the grandkids up for about half of that.

Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: cbump] #7914333 07/27/20 01:13 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Guess I was thinking about the trucks that look like little 18 wheeler cabs. lol

Lol, not to far off, think that starts at 650.

I think they detune the engine some also.

Here is what you need, just grab Husker CC

https://earthroamer.com/

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: Roll-Tide] #7914464 07/27/20 03:18 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That thing is siiiiiiick

Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: Roll-Tide] #7914506 07/27/20 09:18 AM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
How are taxes in Florida?

No state tax
Pretty low property tax. Many areas be found at .8% to 1.7%
sometimes it looks like the higher the price bracket the lower you pay. Look at a place like Key Largo.
Go to "Property History" under any listing https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Key-Largo_FL/sby-14?view=map
Good fishing.
Beaches.
Easy access to the Bahamas.

Mosquitoes
cockroaches
mold
drugs
crime

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: SR025] #7914515 07/27/20 10:22 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by SR025
My dad was going to do the Costa Rica route but ultimately didn't because of health issues.

Yes, that is the deal killer for some.

They finally get the time, or finally get the finances to move to another country and they start having health issues.

I know a handful of guys who were on Social Security disability who left US to live in other parts of the world. 2 of them were close friends, one at age 35 and the other one at age 53.

They both are happy with their decision, and they said they wanted to do it before they got old and health issues prevented them from leaving.

Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: bill oxner] #7914668 07/27/20 02:10 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by LoneStarSon
Move to Alabama...2nd lowest property tax rate in the States.

But, but, but, state income taxes.

Originally Posted by ducknbass
That's not my idea of retirement.

I plan on heading to a state that has state income that doesn't tax social security.

Alabama doesn't tax SS. And they don't tax the first $24,000 (if married) on income from your retirement account. So with my SS, my wife's SS, and a $2000 monthly withdrawal from our 401k, I'll bring home more money than what I am now making. And I get to enjoy my $700 a year in property taxes.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: pertnear] #7914680 07/27/20 02:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by pertnear
This was many years ago, but my brother was getting a divorce & he started looking around for the most economical (cheapest) place to live on an early retirement income. He is a hardcore bass fisherman & WT deer hunter so he was considering Zapata, Texas! Low cost of living & lots of fishing at Lake Falcon. Some of the biggest bucks come from around there too. You could easily cross the border for an evening of dining or just go shopping for your everyday goods at low prices. It's not Belise but what the heck!

Since then though the whole Mexico & drugs danger has gotten very real. I don't plan to ever cross the border again. Interesting thought for a base homestead though.

I strongly encourage anyone wanting to retire in Zapata Texas, to actually go and visit Zapata before making a decision

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: Roll-Tide] #7914714 07/27/20 02:35 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I might leave Texas if necessary, but there is no way I will ever leave the country.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: txtrophy85] #7914721 07/27/20 02:39 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I strongly encourage anyone wanting to retire in Zapata Texas, to actually go and visit Zapata before making a decision

I concur

Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: txtrophy85] #7914722 07/27/20 02:39 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

My buddies family has a large piece of land out there......land grant or something like that way way way back in the day, and He hates it out there.

Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: jetdad] #7914762 07/27/20 03:03 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by jetdad
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I definitely don’t want to stay in metroplex. I’m out on Dallas county or really any county that touches it.

Was talking today with a guy at work who is building a house in Caye Caulker, Belize. He mentioned having a home base. His is gonna be near Texoma.

Got me thinking that’s not a bad idea. I like where I hunt near Athens. Maybe get 10 plus acres with maybe a barndo. If I could get my taxes down to 2500 to 3000 dollars a year would be much better.

Wonder if I could fool the county into thinking it’s just a building and finish it out real nice inside.

Also was talking to my buddy in Lake Chapala, he said it was 68 degrees and 9pm. Man that sounds good.

This is the direction I've been leaning. Maybe even a motor home kept inside a barn. You'll need to get a building permit for the finish out on a barndominium so good luck on the appraisal district overlooking it. Septic, electric, some of the things you might not do yourself will get their attention.

In rural areas no permit needed other than for septic.

Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: Roll-Tide] #7915877 07/28/20 01:22 PM
M
MO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
My next house will be on pontoons, register as a house boat, park it on a small acreage.

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile

Re: Retirement. How much sense does this make? [Re: bill oxner] #7916425 07/28/20 09:18 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by bill oxner
I might leave Texas if necessary, but there is no way I will ever leave the country.

Dang, yall think waaaaayy too far outside the box for me, or im just too set in my ways. Im so thankful I sprouted up where I did and ive spent a lifetime establishing these roots and I see no reason to change. To each his own, so more power to ya but not for me.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide