Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Container home build #7911810 07/24/20 06:07 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
So I'm thinking about a container home build. And while I'm not going to DIY for the most part, I though I'd put it here where all the geniuses hang out.
I have a vacant lot that would be ideal for a build. I like the design of the one shown below. I'm wondering if anyone has any actual experience building one, or knows of a good builder in the DFW-North Texas or southern Oklahoma areas? And I'm not talking about someone that cuts a door and slaps a window unit AC in one.

Disclaimers:
1. Yes, I've read the blogs and watched the YouTube videos explaining why container homes aren't this or that, etc.
2. Yes, I know there are more traditional or economical(?) ways of construction.

I think it would be a neat project and since the lot is paid for that helps a bit.
Looking at one like this:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Container home build [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7911853 07/24/20 06:35 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Here in San Marcos a complex was built with all containerized units, stacked up like LEGOs. Supposed to be the first of its kind in US.
Good luck with the build.

Re: Container home build [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7911887 07/24/20 07:02 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I think they are awesome, some are out of this world, like this one. https://inhabitat.com/starburst-shipping-container-home-to-rise-in-the-california-desert/ While some are just whimsical, others are a practical solution to an expensive route to homeownership. A friend that lives in Georgia has rented this one https://www.vrbo.com/4740464ha

[Linked Image]

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Container home build [Re: dogcatcher] #7911928 07/24/20 07:43 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
I think they are awesome, some are out of this world, like this one. https://inhabitat.com/starburst-shipping-container-home-to-rise-in-the-california-desert/ While some are just whimsical, others are a practical solution to an expensive route to homeownership. A friend that lives in Georgia has rented this one https://www.vrbo.com/4740464ha

[Linked Image]

It is amazing the variety you can find out there, DC. The top one will be amazing when they get it built, but I am not sure what the angled ones are going to do besides provide space and light.
The rental one looks cool. I think that the spiral staircase is a good idea. The one I showed it looks like you actually have to go outside and up the stairs to get from the bedroom/bathroom to the kitchen and vice-versa. That might be a problem in the rain or cold. Maybe a spiral staircase inside...

[Linked Image]
Re: Container home build [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7911930 07/24/20 07:47 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
The one you posted up top can be easily fixed to where you don’t have to go outside to go upstairs. Put 20 footers on the bottom and 40 footers up top. You lose the upstairs deck, but that can easily be built off to the side or even above the 40 footers. This way you gain interior living space, keep the over hang for parking, and can still have an upper deck.

Re: Container home build [Re: BigPig] #7911968 07/24/20 08:12 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BigPig
The one you posted up top can be easily fixed to where you don’t have to go outside to go upstairs. Put 20 footers on the bottom and 40 footers up top. You lose the upstairs deck, but that can easily be built off to the side or even above the 40 footers. This way you gain interior living space, keep the over hang for parking, and can still have an upper deck.

One 40 on top to keep a portion of the top deck in place.

[Linked Image]
Re: Container home build [Re: BigPig] #7911971 07/24/20 08:14 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

You're right- could use one 40' up top in the back and still have room in the front for an extended deck- and it would make it easier to screen in the upper porch if the back was part of the 40' one.
That's what's fun- and challenging about these- it's like playing with the grand kids Legos!

[Linked Image]
Re: Container home build [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7911986 07/24/20 08:27 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH

You're right- could use one 40' up top in the back and still have room in the front for an extended deck- and it would make it easier to screen in the upper porch if the back was part of the 40' one.
That's what's fun- and challenging about these- it's like playing with the grand kids Legos!

I’d love to build these. There’s a neighborhood in Dallas that is built from these, they are extremely high energy, green houses, blah blah blah. Anyways, the cheapest sold for around $700,000 and they aren’t more than 2,000 square feet.

Re: Container home build [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7911987 07/24/20 08:29 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Years ago a group of local vets was organized to try to brain storm the local homeless veterans, one of the suggestions was container homes, one bedroom, a bathroom, kitchen living area. One of the men involved was a retired architect, he showed us how to make models using foam board and to make model furniture to fit inside of them. The models taught us a lot about what works and what doesn't. I don't remember the scale, but it was 1/8" thick foam board.

[Linked Image]
Re: Container home build [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7912011 07/24/20 08:44 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
These folks prefab in their shop then move them to your site and finish them out to your design.
https://backcountrycontainers.com/

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Container home build [Re: BigPig] #7912181 07/24/20 11:07 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
So I'm thinking about a container home build. And while I'm not going to DIY for the most part, I though I'd put it here where all the geniuses hang out.
I have a vacant lot that would be ideal for a build. I like the design of the one shown below. I'm wondering if anyone has any actual experience building one, or knows of a good builder in the DFW-North Texas or southern Oklahoma areas? And I'm not talking about someone that cuts a door and slaps a window unit AC in one.

Disclaimers:
1. Yes, I've read the blogs and watched the YouTube videos explaining why container homes aren't this or that, etc.
2. Yes, I know there are more traditional or economical(?) ways of construction.

I think it would be a neat project and since the lot is paid for that helps a bit.
[Linked Image]

My wife and I are considering a container home in Rockport to withstand the gulf coast weather. We have a 2 acre lot with frontage on a seawall and have considered a number of options including a big Gulfstream but after seeing what can be accomplished with containers we're leaning more and more in that direction. Any idea how much the floorplan is in that pic and who the builder is?

Re: Container home build [Re: aerangis] #7912205 07/24/20 11:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by aerangis

Disclaimers:

[Linked Image]

My wife and I are considering a container home in Rockport to withstand the gulf coast weather. We have a 2 acre lot with frontage on a seawall and have considered a number of options including a big Gulfstream but after seeing what can be accomplished with containers we're leaning more and more in that direction. Any idea how much the floorplan is in that pic and who the builder is?

I have a place in Rockport and a container would rust out in 10 years Tops, especially if in coastal marsh zones. Rust resistant isn’t rust proof.

I’ve also built out two container cabins. 20’ and 40.

They are simple to build out

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Container home build [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7912222 07/24/20 11:38 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I have a place in Rockport and a container would rust out in 10 years Tops, especially if in coastal marsh zones. Rust resistant isn’t rust proof.

Bobo, is there any sort of paint or sealant you could put on one that would prevent rust?

Re: Container home build [Re: DocHorton] #7912244 07/25/20 12:00 AM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by DocHorton

Bobo, is there any sort of paint or sealant you could put on one that would prevent rust?

I very thing metal requires constant stripping and painting in the coastal environment. Unless it’s hot dipped galvanized, and even that isn’t 100% rustproof in that environment.

Re: Container home build [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7912258 07/25/20 12:18 AM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A

Disclaimers:

[Linked Image]

That sucks. I really like the look of some of the container floor plans Im seeing.

Re: Container home build [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7912304 07/25/20 01:05 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I had a buddy that framed one out for me in a plan. Framing the container out was around $7000 I believe. I don't think that included spray foam insulation either. But it was neat to get an idea on cost.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Container home build [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7912401 07/25/20 03:00 AM
C
Cow_doc.308 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
There's an apartement complex built from containers in Corsicana. https://www.corsicanadailysun.com/n...4ac4aba-ad30-11e7-9838-671bd8b1610c.html They might could give some idea on a builder for the DFW area.

https://www.greenmailboxgroup.com/our-properties.html

Re: Container home build [Re: aerangis] #7912409 07/25/20 03:08 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

This one is by a builder in Australia.

If you go on Pinterest and search “container home” it’s amazing how many show up.

[Linked Image]
Re: Container home build [Re: Cow_doc.308] #7912411 07/25/20 03:10 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Cow_doc.308
There's an apartement complex built from containers in Corsicana. https://www.corsicanadailysun.com/n...4ac4aba-ad30-11e7-9838-671bd8b1610c.html They might could give some idea on a builder for the DFW area.

Nice- thanks, I’ll check them out.

[Linked Image]
Re: Container home build [Re: stxranchman] #7912420 07/25/20 03:23 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by stxranchman
These folks prefab in their shop then move them to your site and finish them out to your design.
https://backcountrycontainers.com/

Thanks, Stx. I checked those out and they’re nice but to tell you the truth, I’m feeling a little more “out there” than they offer.
Not saying bizarre, just “different”.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Container home build [Re: Cow_doc.308] #7912439 07/25/20 03:53 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Cow_doc.308

Very cool....looks like they are doing it as a rental business. I'm impressed.

Re: Container home build [Re: aerangis] #7912582 07/25/20 01:15 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A

Disclaimers:

[Linked Image]

My wife and I are considering a container home in Rockport to withstand the gulf coast weather. We have a 2 acre lot with frontage on a seawall and have considered a number of options including a big Gulfstream Airstream but after seeing what can be accomplished with containers we're leaning more and more in that direction. Any idea how much the floorplan is in that pic and who the builder is?

Meant to say Airstream, not Gulfstream.

That development in Corsicana looks interesting. I'm going to check it out next time I drive down to visit my folks.

Re: Container home build [Re: DocHorton] #7914727 07/27/20 02:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DocHorton

Maybe an elastic type paint, like a heat reflective paint, I really don’t know. UV down there breaks paint down quick. Even galvanized roofs break down a lot quicker then normal.

If it wasn’t on the water, and a few miles inland you might make it work, if off the ground a good bit. The main cross beam and bottom would be what should go first. We would have to replace our galvanized tv antenna tower ever few years due to rusting out. Boat trailer axle is an every 5-7 year replacement

Coast is just a whole other ball of wax.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide