Page 1 of 2 1 2
Venison back Strap #7911728 07/24/20 05:22 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Do you grill your backstrap? If so what type seasoning.do you use and is the meat dry when finished?

Thanks!

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Wilhunt] #7911750 07/24/20 05:32 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I like Prasek's chop dust or the Chupacabra seasoning. I usually sous vide my back strap, since it comes out perfect every time. It doesn't dry out if you cook to temp which I usually do 130° I wouldn't go above 135°, when you grill.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Wilhunt] #7911752 07/24/20 05:33 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Not as good on the grill as the tenderloin but it beats the snot out of doing without.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Wilhunt] #7911764 07/24/20 05:38 PM
J
jakebunch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I marinate them in Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing for several hours really like the way they turn out.

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Wilhunt] #7911811 07/24/20 06:08 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Backstrap is the only thing I still marinate in Italian dressing. I cut mine into pieces about 3/4" thick, poke them full of holes with a fork, then wrap the outside in thin bacon making little filet mignons. Put them all in a pan and marinate in Zesty Italian dressing, Allegro, Worcestershire, Soy, lemon, & onion for 48 hrs. Fire up the pit and cook on indirect heat, I lay them all out on the grill and dust them with the seasoning of your choice. I don't flip them, I let that juice form little pools on top and it keeps the meat moist. When almost done I glaze them with melted strawberry preserves. Now, this is what I do when cooking for people that say they don't really like deer meat. After trying it this way, they always get gobbled up. I've even muscled out hind quarters from old rutted up buck deer and done them this way, and people thought it was backstrap. If folks enjoy it, it's wort the effort to me.

When grilling for myself or folks that DO like deer meat, I don't do all that. I just marinate in a little Allegro/Worcestershire usually, dust with Montreal Steak Seasoning or salt & pepper, and sear quick in a hot cast iron skillet over mesquite coals. I treat it just like a beef steak and tent it with foil with a little butter to rest for 5-8 minutes. Both methods are delicious, and the meat is always tender & juicy as long as it's not overcooked. A WHOLE lot of folks out there overcook venison and then complain that it's tuff & dry LOL.

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Wilhunt] #7911845 07/24/20 06:33 PM
D
Dimitri Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I think the trick is not to overcook it. Regardless of the spices/marinade you use, the more you overcook it the drier and tougher the meat will be.

You could consider doing the backstraps as a Venison Wellington. Here is a video of a chef making a Wellington with a spingbok "fillet" (is that what you would call a tenderloin in the US?). Anyway, I'm quite sure that the chef in fact used a springbok backstrap for the Wellington because the fillet of a spirngbok is much smaller than the cut of meat he is used.

https://vimeo.com/178327487

I have made the above recipe 3 times using backstrap of mountain reedbuck (roughly the same size as a springbok) and it was excellent every time.

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Wilhunt] #7911927 07/24/20 07:43 PM
G
greenen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I just go with olive oil rubbed on for fat, course black pepper, Kosher salt and crushed garlic in a Ziplock preferably overnight. Direct heat over hot charcoal, pulled off rare and let rest.

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Wilhunt] #7911945 07/24/20 08:02 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Some may knock it, but using a sous vide setup is an amazing way to cook backstrap. I'll use the grill just to sear it. I cut back strap into 8"-10" long pieces (whatever amount you would normally cook for a meal) and vacuum seal them. When I am ready to eat some I set the sous vide to 125°f and throw the backstrap in still frozen for about 2 hours (1 hour is fine if it's thawed). Pull it out, pat it dry with paper towels, hit it with some kosher salt and garlic powder, and throw it on the grill or in the cast iron with some garlic infused clarified butter to sear it. Sometimes i'll serve it with some chimichurri sauce or something like that. Everyone loves it. Comes out very juicy and tender.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Thisisbeer; 07/24/20 08:03 PM.
Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Thisisbeer] #7911952 07/24/20 08:06 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Some may knock it, but using a sous vide setup is an amazing way to cook backstrap. I'll use the grill just to sear it. I cut back strap into 8"-10" long pieces (whatever amount you would normally cook for a meal) and vacuum seal them. When I am ready to eat some I set the sous vide to 125°f and throw the backstrap in still frozen for about 2 hours (1 hour is fine if it's thawed). Pull it out, pat it dry with paper towels, hit it with some kosher salt and garlic powder, and throw it on the grill or in the cast iron with some garlic infused clarified butter to sear it. Sometimes i'll serve it with some chimichurri sauce or something like that. Everyone loves it. Comes out very juicy and tender.

[Linked Image]

Hard to knock it when it comes out perfect every single time, I am very pro sous vide.

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7911963 07/24/20 08:10 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

[Linked Image]

Hard to knock it when it comes out perfect every single time, I am very pro sous vide.

That looks perfect! I'm gonna try it one of these days...

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: skinnerback] #7911974 07/24/20 08:16 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

[Linked Image]

That looks perfect! I'm gonna try it one of these days...

It is excellent even doing the final steps in a hot skillet in the house. Mine always set the smoke detector off though..lol. I have done Sous Vide HQ steaks the same way in the house and on the grill, both were tender and excellent.I like to do BS marinated in Paces Picante sauce overnight and then grill them over mesquite coals. I never add any extra spices to them before grilling, just take them out the marinate and straight onto the pit. I am going to try one Sous Vide in the Picante Sauce one time also.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Venison back Strap [Re: stxranchman] #7911991 07/24/20 08:31 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
WHAT, PACE!

Gettarope grin

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: skinnerback] #7912017 07/24/20 08:48 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by skinnerback
WHAT, PACE!

Gettarope grin

There are better options now...I started with the Pace way back in early 90's. cheers

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Wilhunt] #7912031 07/24/20 08:56 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Souls vide is “cool” but I still prefer grill marks and a little char!
Roaring coals as hot as possible and only needs a minute or two on either side!
I target 140*

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: rickym] #7912034 07/24/20 08:57 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by rickym
Souls vide is “cool” but I still prefer grill marks and a little char!
Roaring coals as hot as possible and only needs a minute or two on either side!
I target 140*

You still achieve that with the sous vide.

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Wilhunt] #7912101 07/24/20 09:52 PM
E
ErikL Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
hard to grill imho, rec sous vide then throw on grill to finish/grill marks

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Wilhunt] #7912336 07/25/20 01:37 AM
M
mbavo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
Do you grill your backstrap? If so what type seasoning.do you use and is the meat dry when finished?

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

When I grill blackstrap,all I put on it is olive oil,salt, pepper,and garlic.
Grill to rare or medium rare at the very most.
It will not be dry.

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Wilhunt] #7912516 07/25/20 11:39 AM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Salt and pepper wrap with bacon and on the grill till med. rare.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Wilhunt] #7912522 07/25/20 11:55 AM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I got to figure out what I'm missing with the bacon. I love bacon, but wrapping anything in bacon has always been disappointing. I end up with no sear on the meat and chewy bacon or if I try and get the bacon a little crisp the the meat is overdone. What am I doing wrong here?

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Wilhunt] #7912529 07/25/20 12:03 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
We typically cut our backstraps in 6 and 8 inch lengths. Rub in olive oil and season with whatever you would put on steak, grill the darn thing no more than medium rare - overcooking wild game is, indeed, the very worst thing you can do to it. Once cooked and only once cooked, cut it into portions for serving.

Lovey my grilled backstrap and grill it far more often than I fry it (although that ain't bad either).

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Thisisbeer] #7912728 07/25/20 03:54 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I got to figure out what I'm missing with the bacon. I love bacon, but wrapping anything in bacon has always been disappointing. I end up with no sear on the meat and chewy bacon or if I try and get the bacon a little crisp the the meat is overdone. What am I doing wrong here?

A venison backstrap has little to no fat the bacon keeps it moist and juicy. I cook the strap to rare-med. rare and toss the bacon before eating.

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Thisisbeer] #7912983 07/25/20 08:43 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

Use the thin cheap bacon for wrapping lean meat, if you use thick cut your meat will be over cooked by the time the bacon is crisp.

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Wilhunt] #7913009 07/25/20 09:11 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I prefer to season, then sear in a cast iron skillet with garlic butter to 130*. Axis filets like this will melt in your mouth.

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: snake oil] #7913821 07/26/20 05:29 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by snake oil

A venison backstrap has little to no fat the bacon keeps it moist and juicy. I cook the strap to rare-med. rare and toss the bacon before eating.

But I don’t have an issue keeping the meat moist and juicy without bacon? So you would just end up eating the meat with no char on it?

Re: Venison back Strap [Re: Thisisbeer] #7914766 07/27/20 03:04 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by snake oil

But I don’t have an issue keeping the meat moist and juicy without bacon? So you would just end up eating the meat with no char on it?

You are probably right I just though bacon would keep it moister (IDK if this is a word)lol. Gonna try your method next time .Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide