Print Thread
WTD burger recipe #7910172 07/23/20 01:11 PM
T
TKandMike Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
I'm in that phase of desperately working to empty the freezer before the next season. I've got a bunch of ground and have been working on mastering a burger.

Here's what I've settled on:
Salt
Pepper
Bread crumbs
minced onion
minced garlic
dash of parsley

Topped with caramelized onions or mushrooms and fresh greens.

Raising Cane's sauce:
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup ketchup
black pepper
couple dashes of Worcestershire
garlic salt

What's your go to seasoning and toppings for game burgers?

Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7910189 07/23/20 01:21 PM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
In addition to seasoning, I've started putting shredded cheese in my venison burgers. It helps keep them moist rather than turning into a cotton ball on the grill.

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7910198 07/23/20 01:26 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Tonight is burger night for me. I use the frozen quarter pounders. Works for me.

[Linked Image]

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7910275 07/23/20 02:38 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Pork fat. I will eat but not a big fan of straight venison burgers/meat loaf/meat balls.

To me to do it right without adding the kitchen sink to ground venison it needs more fat content.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7910276 07/23/20 02:40 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I'm a big BIG fan of simplicity when cooking meat. For game I usually save my brisket trimmings and mix 70/30 game/brisket.

My patty is 4 ounces of ground venison or beef, a liberal dose of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt, and a more liberal dose of garlic powder. I smash it pretty thin with a spatula and grill it. That's it. I've fed a ton of people and everyone loves that burger. While putting a lot of stuff into the meat makes a great burger, it just seems like at the end of the day everyone prefers the simpler version. I worked on a project for a year that only allowed us to work 3 days a week (Got paid 6) and I had a lot of free time on my hands. I tried mastering the burger during that time. Different meat combinations, toppings, seasonings, etc. Made some great burgers, but at the end the simple one made with pure ground chuck is the one that was universally liked. Everyone's tastes are different though.

My go-to:
Brioche bun
1 or two of the Patties above
American Cheese
Dehydrated Onion (Rehydrate with warm water. This is what McDonalds uses for their onions. Really sets the flavor off.)
Dill pickle
Favorite Burger Sauce ( I do 1 part mayo, .5 part ketchup, .25 mustard, dehydrated onion, minced garlic, vinegar and tabasco sauce)

Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7910321 07/23/20 03:06 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
We have bacon ends added to our venison when they grind it.

Last edited by snake oil; 07/23/20 03:07 PM.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7910424 07/23/20 04:09 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I used to do the meatloaf style burger patty such as your self. I have developed a much simpler patty recipe I use, well I guess I use two. If I am not using my ground venison which runs about 15%-20% mixed with beef fat (I grind my self). I sometimes will buy 90/10 ground beef and mix it with a 1lb of my venison. When I am mixing the meat up for the patties I try and not smash the meat all up, I like to keep the meat as fluffy as possible. I don't season until I make the patties, season each side and toss on the grill. Lately I have been doing Fiesta brand seasoned salt for the seasoning and every once in awhile I'll use their hamburger deluxe seasoning.

For toppings I really just use caramelized onions, grilled jalapenos, sauteed mushrooms and sliced avocado. The cheese I have been using havarty as of late, I like the way it melts and it's just good cheese. I have slowly gotten away from lettuce, tomatoes, pickles etc on a burger.

The bun is ever changing, it all depends who I am cooking for and how many people.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7910475 07/23/20 04:32 PM
T
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
I like these ideas. I forgot to include that it's not straight venison, it's about 15-20% beef fat like Herbie Hancock

Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7910490 07/23/20 04:43 PM
L
landsurveyor Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
For a simple great tasting venison burger I season the patties once made with montreal steak seasoning and grill in a cast iron skillet with butter or olive oil. Then saute the onions, peppers and mushrooms in the same skillet

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7910502 07/23/20 04:46 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
My favorite is a 75/25 venison to bacon ends & pieces grind, seasoned with salt/pepper/cumin/Worchestershire/minced onion & garlic. Favorite used to be 1/2lb patties but cut to 1/4lb now, grilled with double pepper jack cheese, toasted buns and all the fixins.

Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: landsurveyor] #7910507 07/23/20 04:50 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by landsurveyor
For a simple great tasting venison burger I season the patties once made with montreal steak seasoning and grill in a cast iron skillet with butter or olive oil. Then saute the onions, peppers and mushrooms in the same skillet

I like using my cast iron griddle over the grill, that chur a cast iron gives is supple.

Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7910562 07/23/20 05:28 PM
L
landsurveyor Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by landsurveyor

I like using my cast iron griddle over the grill, that chur a cast iron gives is supple.

up

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7910634 07/23/20 06:20 PM
T
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
I do like the cast iron for these. get more char and I feel like it doesn't dry out as much.

Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7910679 07/23/20 06:51 PM
C
CitySlickerHunter Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TKandMike
I do like the cast iron for these. get more char and I feel like it doesn't dry out as much.

food

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7910883 07/23/20 09:31 PM
G
Giblett Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Bacon ends and pieces ground up with the deer then either fried or grilled. My parents owned a restaurant called Moody's as a kid they added flour to the ground meat don't know why but they were fried on a griddle edges were crispy still like them that way

Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7910899 07/23/20 09:51 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Half and half ground beef and ground venison, to that we add salt, pepper, a small can or 2 of (drain) Hatch green chilis and a little minced garlic.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7910933 07/23/20 10:34 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I am doing venison burgers(mule deer, whitetail and pronghorn) now in my air fryer. I take 8 oz. of hamburger meat and make a large thin patty. I take 2 tablespoons or so of Chipotle Ranch dressing and pour it over the patty. Then mix it into the meat and roll the meat into a ball. Then make a large thin patty again. I saute some onions and peppers in olive oil in a skillet. When they are translucent I put them on top of the upper half of the meat patty and then sprinkle on some Colby/jack cheese. Then fold the bottom half of the patty over the onions, pepper and cheese and make sure it is all covered well with the edges pressed tight. It makes about a 1" thick patty. I will add spices on top and bottom of the patty...sea salt, pepper, garlic powder etc to taste that day. I set my air fryer on 360 and then cook the patty for 14 minutes(turning over after 7 minutes). It comes out very juicy and great flavor. This is my favorite way to eat a hamburger patty now and I am going to try one on the grill soon. I think it will be even better over good hot mesquite coals.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: stxranchman] #7910939 07/23/20 10:46 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I am doing venison burgers(mule deer, whitetail and pronghorn) now in my air fryer. I take 8 oz. of hamburger meat and make a large thin patty. I take 2 tablespoons or so of Chipotle Ranch dressing and pour it over the patty. Then mix it into the meat and roll the meat into a ball. Then make a large thin patty again. I saute some onions and peppers in olive oil in a skillet. When they are translucent I put them on top of the upper half of the meat patty and then sprinkle on some Colby/jack cheese. Then fold the bottom half of the patty over the onions, pepper and cheese and make sure it is all covered well with the edges pressed tight. It makes about a 1" thick patty. I will add spices on top and bottom of the patty...sea salt, pepper, garlic powder etc to taste that day. I set my air fryer on 360 and then cook the patty for 14 minutes(turning over after 7 minutes). It comes out very juicy and great flavor. This is my favorite way to eat a hamburger patty now and I am going to try one on the grill soon. I think it will be even better over good hot mesquite coals.

You the man. Hunting expert and now cook. Sounds very good.

Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7911143 07/24/20 02:00 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
I call them "Dog Burgers" and they're great.

My DIL says I can't call them that when the grandkids are here... You all know what I say about that??? Watch this Hold my cool2

[Linked Image]

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7911470 07/24/20 01:53 PM
T
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
stxranchman that sounds delicious. That'll be on the menu next week.

As odd as the dogburgers are I might have to try that.

Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: NORML as can be] #7911604 07/24/20 03:53 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by NORML as can be
I call them "Dog Burgers" and they're great.

My DIL says I can't call them that when the grandkids are here... You all know what I say about that??? Watch this Hold my cool2

[Linked Image]

Super interesting for sure.

Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: TKandMike] #7911684 07/24/20 05:03 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
All good stuff here! At home I will take the venison ground and add a 1/4 of chuck. Salt, pepper and garlic and smash them - then put in freezer for 15 minutes. Cook on Blackstone griddle with favorite cheese between 2 quarter ounce patties. Sautee some onions in the grease and top the patties. Brioche buns work great. At the ranch, we slow smoke on the fire pit - same meat ingredients. Veggies are available for any folks that want them. Just hard to go wrong with a properly cooked burger - whether charcoal, wood or griddle. Guess the secret is putting those patties in the freezer for about 15 minutes - you can get a good char/crust on the outside and the inside will be moist and juicy.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: don k] #7911978 07/24/20 08:23 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by TKandMike
stxranchman that sounds delicious. That'll be on the menu next week.

As odd as the dogburgers are I might have to try that.

It is really good and just hit this recipe combo one evening wanting a different taste in a burger patty. I used to season burgers with powder Ranch Dressing mix in the packets years ago and they were good. So tried the Chipotle Ranch and it was even better. I used Walden Farms sugar and calorie free dressing in mine but sure there are better dressings out there.
Originally Posted by don k
Originally Posted by stxranchman

You the man. Hunting expert and now cook. Sounds very good.

It is and thanks...I can get fat off my cooking..roflmao

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: WTD burger recipe [Re: skinnerback] #7912432 07/25/20 03:36 AM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by skinnerback
My favorite is a 75/25 venison to bacon ends & pieces grind, seasoned with salt/pepper/cumin/Worchestershire/minced onion & garlic. Favorite used to be 1/2lb patties but cut to 1/4lb now, grilled with double pepper jack cheese, toasted buns and all the fixins.

^^ This
Once you’ve done the bacon ends is hard to go back!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide