Forums46
Topics537,995
Posts9,731,548
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: Creekrunner] #7907283 07/20/20 10:46 PM
218 Bee Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by 218 Bee
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I am missing no longer having a .375H&H. Not because I have a use for it, but because it's a helluva round...brought to market in 1912.

'Still want a Winchester in .38-55, but can't justify it.

I own two 7X57's and I'm constantly telling myself that I need to hunt with at least one of them. That round came out in 1892, and, according to www.americanrifleman.org, "...is the oldest cartridge designed for smokeless powder that still retains a following."

I will have a 6.5X55 Swede before I die, unless God has other, more immediate plans for me. scared (Caliber - 1891...which doesn't jive with the above claim from American Rifleman scratch).

I dearly love both .243s I own. (1955)

My "cutting edge" rifle, as you know, is a .280 Rem. (1957) banana

I'm hoping to someday see something I like from the last quarter of the 20th century. laugh

That's a fine list of wonderful cartridges! But, with respect, there really ought to be a .250 Savage or .257 Roberts in there somewhere, don't you think?

I won't be without a .375 (old timer though it may be!). I've taken a pile of game from Rio Grande turkey to Cape Buffalo with one...it gets the job done!

Mark

Does a .300 Savage in a Model 99 with a brass counter count?

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Bet every deer that it's killed SWORE it was hit by a .308!

[Linked Image]

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness". - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: txtrophy85] #7907360 07/20/20 11:42 PM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I don’t follow trends. I stick with what works for me. I make changes only when something new has a functional appeal over what I’ve been using.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: stxranchman] #7907764 07/21/20 12:52 PM
T
TKandMike Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I buy what I like when I need it. I read reviews but lean more to real world experience from friends. It is not so much of bucking the trend but just keeping with what is or has been working for me. Why switch from what I know has worked for me all these years. I will upgrade when what I have been using is not made anymore.

X2

Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: TKandMike] #7907845 07/21/20 02:26 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by TKandMike
I buy what I like when I need it. I read reviews but lean more to real world experience from friends. It is not so much of bucking the trend but just keeping with what is or has been working for me. Why switch from what I know has worked for me all these years. I will upgrade when what I have been using is not made anymore.

X2

x3

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: txtrophy85] #7907888 07/21/20 03:02 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
I just bought two new revolvers which are clones of those built in the 1800s. I'm not very trendy.

Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: txtrophy85] #7907890 07/21/20 03:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I use a lot of different gear, mainly western gear. I have no issue trying something if it helps keep me safer or on the mountain longer. I also really like finding price point options that are 90% as good as the best group but half the cost.

I wouldn’t say I follow trends, just advancements

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: PMK] #7907943 07/21/20 03:50 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by PMK
Originally Posted by TKandMike

X2

x3

x4 for the most part.

I work hard, but like to play hard as well. Do I have some things that are over-priced fluff? Sure I do...but I'm notorious for a ton of research on the items I do tend to purchase that is considered "trendy". If it works better for something I'm interested in, I'll research it and if it fits my needs, i'll buy it. But I wouldn't say I buy it because it's necessarily trendy. However, I do tend to hold on to those things much longer than buying it, using it once, then flipping it.

Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: txtrophy85] #7907966 07/21/20 04:02 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Wonder how ownership of yeti stickers some sunglasses and lord know what else would compare with the results of this topic.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7907998 07/21/20 04:23 PM
B
Bar-D Online Mad
Veteran Tracker
Online Mad
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
I don’t follow trends as much as real world reviews. I buy for what I need, not what someone else needs or is plugging. I spend a lot of time on research and thought before buying gear. Sad but true. I can’t help that I am researcher, it’s just in my blood

Bingo........
[Linked Image]

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7908211 07/21/20 07:29 PM
20bore Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
I don’t follow trends as much as real world reviews. I buy for what I need, not what someone else needs or is plugging. I spend a lot of time on research and thought before buying gear. Sad but true. I can’t help that I am researcher, it’s just in my blood

Me too.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Both. I own a 6.5 and a .308. I hunt with an AR, a BAR, and multiple bolts and levers. I don't use scent lock, but I do use thermacell. I don't follow trends because they are trendy...however, if a trend is a good product, and serves a good purpose, yea, I'll buy it and use it.

Yep. No scentlok here but thermacells are a must in East TX in Oct and early Nov.

I occasionally wear some Realtree Treebark and other patterns. No, not new clothes with old patterns. Clothes from the early to mid 90s.

Yes, my 4wd pickup is stock. No Buckmark stickers though I probably have more Brownings than anything.

Never owned a Vortex anything.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor...barrel is stamped 260 Rem

TrendBucker...be a good handle for a new member

Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: txtrophy85] #7908435 07/21/20 10:41 PM
W
Windrider Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Let’s see 270 with a fixed power scope. SxS shotgun for upland and occasional waterfowl... Brown camo and advantaged wetlands camo. Wool sweaters and long johns.

Ooooo...I did swap out a Belgium A5 Magnum for an 11-87 15 years ago. Started converting to a new fangled M2 last year. M2s are trendy aren’t they?

What I’m really looking for is a late 40s to early 50s Ithaca 16ga and a 264 Win Mag.

Thought for the day: Ducks were almost hunted to extinction long before camo was invented.
Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: txtrophy85] #7908468 07/21/20 11:02 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
trendy, some products, you pay for the name, get the same quality with less

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: txtrophy85] #7908609 07/22/20 01:02 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I only buy something when it's substantially better than what I have or because nobody else makes it. My first bow was a Howard Hill bamboo longbow, thank God I was a young man with good teeth, because it would have shook all my fillings out. I know use a Black Widow longbow I had made for me 20 years ago. I bought it because it was absolutely better than what I had. I'm currently building a 5.7X28 varmint rifle because nobody in the world I know makes it. Maybe I'll be a trendsetter with it but I doubt it.

Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: ntxtrapper] #7908671 07/22/20 02:00 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I only buy something when it's substantially better than what I have or because nobody else makes it. My first bow was a Howard Hill bamboo longbow, thank God I was a young man with good teeth, because it would have shook all my fillings out. I know use a Black Widow longbow I had made for me 20 years ago. I bought it because it was absolutely better than what I had. I'm currently building a 5.7X28 varmint rifle because nobody in the world I know makes it. Maybe I'll be a trendsetter with it but I doubt it.

For the longest time I wanted semi-rifle similar to a 10/22, for the exact same reason, they do have it in an AR platform now though. Cool caliber

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7908684 07/22/20 02:15 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

For the longest time I wanted semi-rifle similar to a 10/22, for the exact same reason, they do have it in an AR platform now though. Cool caliber

I've got a PS90 now and I had an AR-57. The PS90 is excellent but it is designed for short range with a combat trigger pack. I wasn't impressed the accuracy or reliability of the AR-57. I'm building a custom TC Encore in it.

Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: ntxtrapper] #7908712 07/22/20 02:53 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I've got a PS90 now and I had an AR-57. The PS90 is excellent but it is designed for short range with a combat trigger pack. I wasn't impressed the accuracy or reliability of the AR-57. I'm building a custom TC Encore in it.

One of my favorite platforms. Although thinking about selling my 20” 6.5 creedmore barrel and getting Grendel w/adjustable stock for kids,

I look forward to you posting results,

Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: txtrophy85] #7908841 07/22/20 11:51 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I have never been trendy and am too old to start now.

Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: txtrophy85] #7908906 07/22/20 01:28 PM
G
gary roberson Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
If you are in the hunting business, or any business for that matter, if you are not creating trends then you may not succeed.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: txtrophy85] #7910113 07/23/20 12:21 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
I am old school and don't give two chits about what is trendy, hip, or cool in any way!

And that goes for music, clothes, trendy new gun calibers, bows, scopes, etc etc etc.

I listen to music on my phone only simply because today's music SUCKS....and that goes for all genres!

I still wear my wrangler jeans, cotton button down shirts tucked in, old resitol hats, and leather belts without bling all over the damn things.

I shoot savage rifles because they have damn good triggers and barrels and shoot straight as hell. I couldn't care less what they look like as long as they drive tacks.

I didn't buy-in to the short magnums when they came out and only bought the two that I feel outperform the calibers they are based on which is the 243 and 270 although the 270 bucks as bad as a 7mm mag or 300 if not worse! I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor because I don't see that need when I have a 300 win mag that will lob a 165 gr out there and make a ragged 5-shot hole at 300 yards and has no problem hitting a beer can at 500 yards every time if you hold it there!

My Diamondback bow is over a decade old and still shoots straight. I bought it after spending 2 days in bow shops testing every make and model bow under the sun and simply like the way it felt and shot better than all the others, not because it said Matthews, was the absolute fastest, or was the most expensive on the rack.

I have driven a chevy or ford my entire life and when I need an upgrade I go with the one that I get the best deal on which currently is a 2018 Silverado LT 1/2 ton 4x4 that I got a smoking deal on new so I bought it. That was my first new truck since 1991 and the only reason I bought new was because I got it for the same price as the used ones that were 1-2 years old with 25k-30k miles on them! grin By the way, that truck just got 21.7mpg on a 1600 mile round trip to red river NM. Kinda hard to beat that!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7911168 07/24/20 02:11 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Not exactly sure what a trend is but ill take a shot at a reply. Ive deer hunted exclusively with the same 3006 for 48 years but if anything happened to it I would probably change calibers. Same Leupold binoculars for 29 years but I would definitely change if anything happened to them. Same Buck knife for 40ish years. Any clothing that will keep me warmer I will change but Ive been ok with the same stuff a long time. I mentioned on another thread today about a buck I killed coming off a peanut field in mid 80s and im looking at the field photo now and im wearing the same hunting cap then as I wear now(duck tape on the bill now.) Old spotting scope completely died 14 years ago so I got a Leupold. Same collapsible shooting sticks for 15 years--definitely do not plan on toting around those heavy ones.
Bobo mentioned "advancements" and I am all over that on a completely new product but I feel the trends are usually just reinventing the same wheel when it comes to hunting. When it comes to advancements in existing products like clothes or general gear then even though it may be "better" it has to be enough better for me to get off of some stuff that ive grown attached to.
Kinda funny, I read Huds reply before I saw who it was and I knew it was him(strange and interesting guy.)

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Do you follow trends or buck them? [Re: freerange] #7911485 07/24/20 02:04 PM
G
gary roberson Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by freerange
Not exactly sure what a trend is but ill take a shot at a reply. Ive deer hunted exclusively with the same 3006 for 48 years but if anything happened to it I would probably change calibers. Same Leupold binoculars for 29 years but I would definitely change if anything happened to them. Same Buck knife for 40ish years. Any clothing that will keep me warmer I will change but Ive been ok with the same stuff a long time. I mentioned on another thread today about a buck I killed coming off a peanut field in mid 80s and im looking at the field photo now and im wearing the same hunting cap then as I wear now(duck tape on the bill now.) Old spotting scope completely died 14 years ago so I got a Leupold. Same collapsible shooting sticks for 15 years--definitely do not plan on toting around those heavy ones.
Bobo mentioned "advancements" and I am all over that on a completely new product but I feel the trends are usually just reinventing the same wheel when it comes to hunting. When it comes to advancements in existing products like clothes or general gear then even though it may be "better" it has to be enough better for me to get off of some stuff that ive grown attached to.
Kinda funny, I read Huds reply before I saw who it was and I knew it was him(strange and interesting guy.)

Dang, sure going to be tough making a living off of you...LOL! I know what you mean, if it ain't broke, don't fix it and beware of the guy who only hunts with one gun...chances are, he knows how to use it.
Adios,
Gary

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide