Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: All investment professionals [Re: Buzzsaw] #7905035 07/18/20 10:35 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Put your money in land. It may stagnate for a year or so but unless you get really goofy on your purchase it will always go up.

Re: All investment professionals [Re: Sniper John] #7905038 07/18/20 10:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Sniper John
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
I was buying the whole way down. I am better off now than I was in January. up

Me too. That is exactly what I did. Bought Tech Blue Chips in March all the way down including rebalancing all my other stock holdings into index and sector funds to be safer going forward. My portfolio right now is at it's all time high and I have 30% back in cash to trade with until the next really big dip or crash. Unless one is retired and relying on the income or really close to it, just stay in market through these events. Be well diversified. Re balance holdings often. And though months like march look really scary on the retirement account statements, see it as an opportunity to increase your weekly monthly investing as much as possible while the market is down. As for what would normally be the bond portion of my portfolio, I instead had put that money into dividend aristocrats being blue chip stocks that did not cut dividends during the 2008 crash. As already talked about. Your investments have to beat that around 1.40% yearly inflation rate or your really just falling behind.

I thought I over bought, hindsight should of Taken out home equity loan on my house, sold both cars, took at signature loan against land and put it all in. I shouldn’t complain. I made out like a bandit, and now I get to suffer some taxes on half a sold out @ 150% profit

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: All investment professionals [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7905051 07/18/20 10:54 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Been on three mule deer hunts, paid full price, never shot And paid every penny I owed with full pleasure. It was discretionary income. There is a difference.

For people who think before investing it’s almost always discretionary income, so explain the difference......

Plain and simple, we don't invest with discretionary income and yes, we do think when making investments. Mule deer hunting was always arranged with discretionary income and after investing. It's an invest in yourself first regimen.

Re: All investment professionals [Re: Hudbone] #7905224 07/19/20 02:03 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Been on three mule deer hunts, paid full price, never shot And paid every penny I owed with full pleasure. It was discretionary income. There is a difference.

For people who think before investing it’s almost always discretionary income, so explain the difference......

Plain and simple, we don't invest with discretionary income and yes, we do think when making investments. Mule deer hunting was always arranged with discretionary income and after investing. It's an invest in yourself first regimen.

Plain and simple......income you don’t use for expenses IS discretionary income......unless your investing with inheritance or gift......it’s discretionary or disposable take your pick it means the same.....unless you don’t invest period.....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: All investment professionals [Re: don k] #7905321 07/19/20 05:20 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by don k
Put your money in land. It may stagnate for a year or so but unless you get really goofy on your purchase it will always go up.

That should just be a portion of your investments. You kinda have to unload it to get money and then you can't use it anymore if you bought it to hunt. You buy the right stocks you could buy plenty of land.

Re: All investment professionals [Re: Txduckman] #7905346 07/19/20 08:18 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Txduckman

That should just be a portion of your investments. You kinda have to unload it to get money and then you can't use it anymore if you bought it to hunt. You buy the right stocks you could buy plenty of land.

IMO unless that land is making you money every month, then it’s generally a bad investment for most people. If you buy a piece of land for, example $200,000, and just sit on it, unless you paid cash for it, then it’s costing you way more than it will make you.

$200,000 with 20% down, finance $160,000 for 20 years at 6% interest, assume you get ag tax break and taxes are say $100 a year, that land is going to cost you $1238.00 a month, or a total of $337,109.00. Do you think that land is going to gain enough value to pay you back and make money for you?

Re: All investment professionals [Re: Buzzsaw] #7905369 07/19/20 11:24 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If you are gonna add real estate to your portfolio, now and the next few months seem like a good time to do it. But I've seen, and experienced people getting carried away with real estate.

My grandfather, for one, believed real estate was the only good investment. He made some fantastic decisions and also some very silly decisions. I've spent a good portion of my adult life untangling and simplifying a very convoluted mess. Keep it simple. And income producing is best, IF you have the time and interest in messing with it.

Again, I'm NOT an investment professional, I didn't sleep at Holiday Inn last night, and this is an internet hunting forum.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: All investment professionals [Re: BigPig] #7905375 07/19/20 11:59 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by BigPig

IMO unless that land is making you money every month, then it’s generally a bad investment for most people. If you buy a piece of land for, example $200,000, and just sit on it, unless you paid cash for it, then it’s costing you way more than it will make you.

$200,000 with 20% down, finance $160,000 for 20 years at 6% interest, assume you get ag tax break and taxes are say $100 a year, that land is going to cost you $1238.00 a month, or a total of $337,109.00. Do you think that land is going to gain enough value to pay you back and make money for you?

If you buy stocks you don't borrow the money to purchase them. It is the same with land. If you are planning on flipping it you shouldn't be financing it.

Re: All investment professionals [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7905411 07/19/20 01:33 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

Plain and simple......income you don’t use for expenses IS discretionary income......unless your investing with inheritance or gift......it’s discretionary or disposable take your pick it means the same.....unless you don’t invest period.....

My definition may not be in the dictionary but it has worked well for me. if preparing for the future is not mandatory, you'd better prepared for a home run or someone else to take care of you. That ain't happening here.

Re: All investment professionals [Re: BigPig] #7905562 07/19/20 04:43 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

A realtor saying land is a bad investment. Not very ABC of you.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: All investment professionals [Re: TexFlip] #7905591 07/19/20 05:17 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
You know what opinions are like right? Some realtors remind me of used car salesmen. Not all of them but some.

Re: All investment professionals [Re: BigPig] #7905606 07/19/20 05:40 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Is no different then any other investment. It’s about Entry point/value and exist point/value. Interest part is not ever a considered in this specific context because, it’s investment land money vs invested in market. No borrowing. If we are borrowing then you would have to add in your margin interest on the security side...

One has to decide if your time value of money and risk is better suited in land vs market vs any investment.
My best friend is about to triple his money via a land purchase made 8 years ago.

I don’t have one piece of land I own that hasn’t atleast double in value since buying it in an 8 year time span.

I’m also heavily invested in market securities and residential real estate.

It’s risk vs potential return... that simple

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: All investment professionals [Re: Txduckman] #7905610 07/19/20 05:45 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

You buy the right land you can buy all stocks you want too....

Circular argument. No right or wrong except as you mentioned diversity is safer

Re: All investment professionals [Re: Buzzsaw] #7905623 07/19/20 06:03 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
You could take as survey of the 500 richest people in America, and not counting inheritance, virtually none of them made their fortune investing in the stock market. Real money is made in real estate, business, etc, not Wall Street.

Re: All investment professionals [Re: Jgraider] #7905635 07/19/20 06:19 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Jgraider
You could take as survey of the 500 richest people in America, and not counting inheritance, virtually none of them made their fortune investing in the stock market. Real money is made in real estate, business, etc, not Wall Street.

up Easy now, next your going to tell us big ROI’s, take years

Re: All investment professionals [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7905689 07/19/20 07:32 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Is no different then any other investment. It’s about Entry point/value and exist point/value. Interest part is not ever a considered in this specific context because, it’s investment land money vs invested in market. No borrowing. If we are borrowing then you would have to add in your margin interest on the security side...

One has to decide if your time value of money and risk is better suited in land vs market vs any investment.
My best friend is about to triple his money via a land purchase made 8 years ago.

I don’t have one piece of land I own that hasn’t atleast double in value since buying it in an 8 year time span.

I’m also heavily invested in market securities and residential real estate.

It’s risk vs potential return... that simple

If you can pay cash, or use the land as income generating, or can buy it in an area where the market is moving like you did, then yes it absolutely can be a great investment.

A lot of people run around with the notion that they aren’t making anymore land so that’s what I need to buy when there are other real estate options that are better suited and will/can create passive income.

Most people that have made millions on real estate didn’t do it via just a land purchase where they bought and sat on it.

Re: All investment professionals [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7905700 07/19/20 07:47 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

up Easy now, next your going to tell us big ROI’s, take years

Ha, you'll never, ever hear those words out of my mouth I promise.

Re: All investment professionals [Re: Jgraider] #7905712 07/19/20 07:59 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Hardly.

A quick look at the top 100 of Forbes top 400 shows only 4 made their money in real estate, the vast majority made their money in business. Making money in business usually entails taking a company public and cashing in on the stock. You know, on Wall St.

Many more made their fortunes in hedge funds and Investing, not in real estate. I would submit that it if you surveyed all millionaires the majority would say that matching 401k, stock options or the stock market is how they got there. up

Forbes top 400

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: All investment professionals [Re: Buzzsaw] #7905731 07/19/20 08:22 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
made back 3k since i posted this

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: All investment professionals [Re: Buzzsaw] #7905750 07/19/20 08:37 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
made back 3k since i posted this

So you were just being chicken little again?

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: All investment professionals [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #7905792 07/19/20 09:13 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Hardly.

A quick look at the top 100 of Forbes top 400 shows only 4 made their money in real estate, the vast majority made their money in business. Making money in business usually entails taking a company public and cashing in on the stock. You know, on Wall St.

Many more made their fortunes in hedge funds and Investing, not in real estate. I would submit that it if you surveyed all millionaires the majority would say that matching 401k, stock options or the stock market is how they got there. up

Forbes top 400

I specifically said "richest people in America", not just a millionaire. It's not near as far fetched to be a millionaire in America anymore as it used to be. I agree on business being the likely avenue, not the stock market though. My buddy started his horizontal pump company in 2012 with an initial investment of $500k, and sold it 3 years later for $19M.

Re: All investment professionals [Re: Jgraider] #7905814 07/19/20 09:31 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Hardly.

Forbes top 400

I specifically said "richest people in America", not just a millionaire. It's not near as far fetched to be a millionaire in America anymore as it used to be. I agree on business being the likely avenue, not the stock market though. My buddy started his horizontal pump company in 2012 with an initial investment of $500k, and sold it 3 years later for $19M.

I know what exactly you said. And of the top 100 richest people in America, only 4 were from real estate. Just like I wrote. The first at #32.

And while your friend did great, I would submit that he and others like him are a very small percentage of total millionaires.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: All investment professionals [Re: BigPig] #7905822 07/19/20 09:37 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

If you can pay cash, or use the land as income generating, or can buy it in an area where the market is moving like you did, then yes it absolutely can be a great investment.

A lot of people run around with the notion that they aren’t making anymore land so that’s what I need to buy when there are other real estate options that are better suited and will/can create passive income.

Most people that have made millions on real estate didn’t do it via just a land purchase where they bought and sat on it.

How else do you make millions off an investment if you didn’t invest in it? It’s exactly how people make millions off an investment, they bought it first and then sold it when their exit plan matured to their satisfaction, now did they get their initial investment from land most likely not, most get the investment money from accrued savings of income.

Paying cash for land is very similar to investing in a non dividend stock or fund. If that land has income generation, wind, subsurface minerals, or lease/use income then it pays a dividend. For this I’m talking straight growth no dividends. Straight cash investment.

Lots of people buy land strictly for capital appreciation. One of my friends was the largest Homebuilder in NM for a time, he ended up making similar money buying land and selling it to other home builders like DRH, then developing it, w/70% less risk. Buying land to sell based off appreciation, is a HUGE wealth building too. Dillard’s is a perfect example, are they a clothing retailer and/or a real estate company? They are essentially a real estate land speculation company that uses retail as their dividend

For every example I put up I’m sure there is someone that hasn’t done well on a land purchase and sale, but just like stock market exit timing, the question begs what was the total investment time and why did was it sold at that time. If you bought stock from March to June, you look like a God. Sept last year not so much.

Like I said originally, any investment is based on entrance value/timing, exit value timing and risk. Typically land doesn’t go bankrupt, or have a catastrophic failure. No wrong or right. Just time

Re: All investment professionals [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #7905835 07/19/20 09:53 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

I know what exactly you said. And of the top 100 richest people in America, only 4 were from real estate. Just like I wrote. The first at #32.

And while your friend did great, I would submit that he and others like him are a very small percentage of total millionaires.

How many from business, as I also mentioned?

Re: All investment professionals [Re: Buzzsaw] #7905897 07/19/20 10:30 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Buy acreage in an area where subdivision size lots are in demand. Sub-divide acreage into subdivision size lots. Sell those lots. Repeat.
Be it 10k acres cut into 500 acre lots of 10 acres cut into 1/2 acre lots; the formula works. Start small, it takes cash.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide