Print Thread
Sand Hill Crane Advice #7905023 07/18/20 10:24 PM
C
Coach Floyd Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
I’m going crane hunting for the first time this upcoming fall. I am wanting some advice from forum members. I’ll be shooting a Benelli A300 Outlander. I have been told 3” steel #2 is the way to go for ammo. I have some questions posted below. We will be hunting in the Littlefield area.

1. My shotgun is black, do I need to do a rattle can camo on it?
2. What choke should I go with?
3. How many boxes of ammo should I take 3 day hunt?

Last edited by Coach Floyd; 07/18/20 10:26 PM.
Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: Coach Floyd] #7905093 07/18/20 11:34 PM
K
kman2017 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Try getting 3" #4 buck, if you are not hunting waterfowl at the same time. 30 rounds will be plenty. Modified choke is what worked best for me. Don't worry about the paint on the gun. Black is fairly natural and you'll likely be Inna ditch or layout blind.

Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: Coach Floyd] #7905141 07/19/20 12:22 AM
K
ken starling Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Black is fine , like mentioned you will be in some sort of blind more than likely

I shoot a Modified choke

You will get many answers on this. I personally have used 3” -#2 and 3” BB . Had guys hunting with us that shot 3” - #4 buckshot in lead. Any of these are fine in my opinion. Lot of the guides shot #2

Good luck it is a blast

Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: Coach Floyd] #7905162 07/19/20 12:49 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: Coach Floyd] #7905195 07/19/20 01:27 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Going with a guide?

If so I bet you’ll hunt out of A-frames

Possibly layouts

No need for camo gun

3in #2 minimum

In my experience you don’t shoot as much due to low limits so might splurge on the Boss shells mentioned above above.

You can use lead but in case you see some geese use non-toxic.

I’d probably take 4 boxes but I highly doubt you’ll shoot that much due to the fact your limit is 3 a day.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 07/19/20 01:30 AM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: Coach Floyd] #7905205 07/19/20 01:39 AM
C
Coach Floyd Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: Coach Floyd] #7905343 07/19/20 07:47 AM
D
dk2429 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
$33 a box? roflmao roflmao

Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: dk2429] #7905681 07/19/20 07:23 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by dk2429

What's so funny? You tell me why you think it's not worth it, and I'll prove you wrong, with science.
But you won't change your mind if you're not a conservationist.

Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: KWood_TSU] #7905921 07/19/20 10:44 PM
D
dk2429 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

What's so funny? You tell me why you think it's not worth it, and I'll prove you wrong, with science.

What your science then?

Everyone I've hunted with takes birds down with a box of Rios and Winchester Super Xs lol

Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: dk2429] #7905929 07/19/20 10:50 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

What your science then?

Everyone I've hunted with takes birds down with a box of Rios and Winchester Super Xs lol

Y'all never have any cripples ever?

How many times you have to water swat a bird to finish it? As in, how often does that happen, and how many shells does it take to do so?

Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: Coach Floyd] #7906889 07/20/20 05:45 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
#4 turkey loads..all you need. no cripples!

Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: KWood_TSU] #7907254 07/20/20 10:27 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

What your science then?

Y'all never have any cripples ever?

How many times you have to water swat a bird to finish it? As in, how often does that happen, and how many shells does it take to do so?

Are you trying to say if a person shoots boss shells they’ll never have another cripple?

Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: rickym] #7907344 07/20/20 11:31 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by rickym

Are you trying to say if a person shoots boss shells they’ll never have another cripple?

No sir.

All I'm saying is steel loses a significant amount of energy at 25 yards because of it's light weight, especially when compared to bismuth or lead.

Boss has a much higher KE than steel, giving it more umph, and it literally kills birds better. I will say that your cripples number should drastically decrease with a switch to Boss though.

It's just highly interesting that duck hunters will spend thousands upon thousands on gear, then go buy the chepest ammo at the store. The ammo is literally the most important part of the kill, and you're gonna buy something because it's cheap. That's honestly pretty sad.

And people will say I kill with steel just fine. Maybe you're right, but have you ever shot lead or bismuth to see if it's better? I'm betting most duck hunters have only ever shot steel, so it's all they know.

Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: Coach Floyd] #7907371 07/20/20 11:51 PM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Coach Floyd
I’m going crane hunting for the first time this upcoming fall. I am wanting some advice from forum members. I’ll be shooting a Benelli A300 Outlander. I have been told 3” steel #2 is the way to go for ammo. I have some questions posted below. We will be hunting in the Littlefield area.

1. My shotgun is black, do I need to do a rattle can camo on it?
2. What choke should I go with?
3. How many boxes of ammo should I take 3 day hunt?

Beretta, right?

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: Coach Floyd] #7907379 07/20/20 11:58 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I hunt cranes every year in Oklahoma, Texas or Kansas. Killed a couple hundred in my life. I use 2 3/4" number 5 lead that I load for Pheasant. I also use modified choke. We hunt over 2 dozen stuffed birds and lay under burlap that has switch grass tied all over it. We stake down 3 corners of the burlap and no part of hunter or equipment is allowed from under the burlap until the shot is called. We shoot them at 20 yards when they are 2" from the ground. Very easy to hit as they are slow to get going.

Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: KWood_TSU] #7907981 07/21/20 04:13 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L

No sir.

All I'm saying is steel loses a significant amount of energy at 25 yards because of it's light weight, especially when compared to bismuth or lead.

Boss has a much higher KE than steel, giving it more umph, and it literally kills birds better. I will say that your cripples number should drastically decrease with a switch to Boss though.

It's just highly interesting that duck hunters will spend thousands upon thousands on gear, then go buy the chepest ammo at the store. The ammo is literally the most important part of the kill, and you're gonna buy something because it's cheap. That's honestly pretty sad.

And people will say I kill with steel just fine. Maybe you're right, but have you ever shot lead or bismuth to see if it's better? I'm betting most duck hunters have only ever shot steel, so it's all they know.

What you are missing is that a lot of folks don't have the need for more KE to shoot at 50+ yards. It has nothing to do with cost. I don't drive a one-ton truck to haul my light weight camper and duck boat... no need.

I'd argue that for ducks a good dog is more important for recovery than heavier loads, so I wouldn't say it is the most important thing. Cripples taken within range (35-40 yards for #4 or larger steel) aren't due to the steel's inability to penetrate, it's because the shot was off and didn't hit any vitals. Hitting a duck harder in the wing or arse will do nothing to kill it deader.

On the flip side, if you are taking long shots or hunting where recovery is difficult without a dog, I understand the need. My point is that not everybody hunts the same and has the same requirements, which is why there will always be debate over what ammo/shotgun/choke is best. The right answer is... I dunno, what exactly are you trying to do?

Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: Coach Floyd] #7908051 07/21/20 05:02 PM
M
MO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I am certainly no expert , but I did live in Brownfield area for a few years and did a fair amount of crane hunting. We always used burlap to lay on the ground and
to cover up with, several hundred gray rags draped over the stubble. No camo needed. The most important thing to understand is how big these birds are. Wait until they are close and any of the loads
will work. I believe I shot mostly #2 with some BB.

If you are going to be sky busting on passing birds , use the biggest shot you can find, and good luck.

It was my experience that big flocks would not decoy , you looking for stragglers.

If you could wait till they flared their wings and dropped their legs , it was and easy kill

This was 30 years ago , smile your mileage may vary

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile

Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: LarryCopper] #7908158 07/21/20 06:35 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by LarryCopper

No sir.

What you are missing is that a lot of folks don't have the need for more KE to shoot at 50+ yards. It has nothing to do with cost. I don't drive a one-ton truck to haul my light weight camper and duck boat... no need.

I'd argue that for ducks a good dog is more important for recovery than heavier loads, so I wouldn't say it is the most important thing. Cripples taken within range (35-40 yards for #4 or larger steel) aren't due to the steel's inability to penetrate, it's because the shot was off and didn't hit any vitals. Hitting a duck harder in the wing or arse will do nothing to kill it deader.

On the flip side, if you are taking long shots or hunting where recovery is difficult without a dog, I understand the need. My point is that not everybody hunts the same and has the same requirements, which is why there will always be debate over what ammo/shotgun/choke is best. The right answer is... I dunno, what exactly are you trying to do?

Actually part of it is bc if its inability to penetrate.
I agree that a good shot is important

It's hard to compare steel and bismuth to other things bc shotgun and pellets aren't like anything else.

The best explanation I can put it is like this. Shooting steel is like hunting deer with a full metal jacket target round. Bismuth is more like using a hunting bullet that's meant to hit with power and lethality behind it.

Re: Sand Hill Crane Advice [Re: KWood_TSU] #7908188 07/21/20 07:11 PM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

inability to penetrate.

thats what she said

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide