Browning
Winchester
Mossberg
Single shot new Englander
Garage built shotgun powered by bottle rockets
Remington

roflmao
Yall are funny on here.. if ain't a B gun, it's hunk of [censored]

No I'd run a Mossberg or a Winchester. I wouldn't buy a Remington other than an old sportsman for dove hunting.

I'm kind of new to all this if you havent read my posts and just got my first auto loader (Remington Versamax)

One thing I noticed on here, duck hunting facebook pages, people I know, other forums, etc....

The people that have never owned or shot a Versamax: "Its a hunk of a [censored], get a B gun! Remington sucks!"

The people who do own one: "Absolutely awesome guns, have shot mine since it came out in 2012, not a hiccup. Sold my Benelli when I got this gun."

Again I'm all new to this, so bear with me. And by the way, I LOVE the feel of the SBE3 and any Benelli I've shouldered. But from what I've gathered so far, the B guys are strictly only B, never even tried a new Remington, refuse to, say you are an idiot if you get one, and say they are junk.

The people on here and other places that DO shoot new Remingtons have nothing but good to say about them! A few on this very site mentioned that they sold their SBE3s and went to Versamaxs.

Again, I'm not as experienced as yall. But in my eyes, yall B guys need to open up your horizons a little bit and try something else before bashing it. I already know the bs I'm about to get for saying this but it's what Ive gathered thus far!

Last edited by dk2429; 07/17/20 12:43 AM.
Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: HTXdude123] #7903716 07/17/20 01:04 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
It's because Remington quality control went down, and Remington is pretty much a piece of junk.
Not saying they wouldnt work, but they're not as nice, light, or reliable as a B.

There's a reason the B's are the most popular guns out there now. I've never seen once where someone sold a benelli to get a Remington either.

And if you shoot a B, why open up your eyes, you're already shooting the best?

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: dk2429] #7903730 07/17/20 01:10 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by dk2429
Originally Posted by ducknbass
In order
Benelli
Berretta
Browning
Winchester
Mossberg
Remington

roflmao

Typically they are the only ones to stand up to guides, backing clients up. Also sporting clay comp guys

Beretta ownes benelli, franchise, stroeger etc. each brand under Beretta has a price point

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: HTXdude123] #7903733 07/17/20 01:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Op- since you are looking at pumps toss in the Browning BPS, it has the smoothest action IMO and you don’t have to chase spent hulls down later

Super Nova is a tank of a gun, but it’s heavy, and not a smooth action but super reliable.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: dk2429] #7903762 07/17/20 01:38 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
In order
Benelli
Berretta
Browning
Winchester
Mossberg
Remington

roflmao

No I'd run a Mossberg or a Winchester. I wouldn't buy a Remington other than an old sportsman for dove hunting.

I'm kind of new to all this if you havent read my posts and just got my first auto loader (Remington Versamax)

One thing I noticed on here, duck hunting facebook pages, people I know, other forums, etc....

The people that have never owned or shot a Versamax: "Its a hunk of a [censored], get a B gun! Remington sucks!"

The people who do own one: "Absolutely awesome guns, have shot mine since it came out in 2012, not a hiccup. Sold my Benelli when I got this gun."

Again I'm all new to this, so bear with me. And by the way, I LOVE the feel of the SBE3 and any Benelli I've shouldered. But from what I've gathered so far, the B guys are strictly only B, never even tried a new Remington, refuse to, say you are an idiot if you get one, and say they are junk.

The people on here and other places that DO shoot new Remingtons have nothing but good to say about them! A few on this very site mentioned that they sold their SBE3s and went to Versamaxs.

Again, I'm not as experienced as yall. But in my eyes, yall B guys need to open up your horizons a little bit and try something else before bashing it. I already know the bs I'm about to get for saying this but it's what Ive gathered thus far!

Yes you'll not find any versmax owners that aren't happy.

[Linked Image]

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: HTXdude123] #7903769 07/17/20 01:40 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I just learned something, I knew Beretta owned Sako and tikka, but not Benelli.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: HTXdude123] #7903773 07/17/20 01:44 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
If some folks seem particular about a brand of shotgun it may have to do with customer service. I learned that the hard way years ago. If I spend the time and effort to go on a hunt I want my shotgun to work when I pull the trigger. Come rain, sleet, or shine.

I've been on a few Cast & Blasts in Argentina and used the shotguns provided by the outfitter which get a heck of a lot of rounds shot out of them every day, with round counts in the thousands in the course of a week. They're picky abut the shotguns they use as am I and I dont use my shotguns anywhere near as much.

www.randywakeman.com has a TON of no-nonsense info about shotguns and does reviews. I've known Randy for quite a few years and he's not one to mince words when it comes to his opinion. He also stresses the importance of patterning a shotgun and I agree. Shotguns of the exact same brand, model, barrel length and choke can and do shoot differently between point of aim and point of impact. If you dont know where the shot is going its pretty damn hard to shoot accurately. Randy explains all that and more. I'd suggest checking out what he has to say. You'll learn a lot.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: HTXdude123] #7903774 07/17/20 01:44 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My Mossberg 88 has done me good... I have it in 20 gauge, smooth action, never a mis-fire,light weight too.
(Except one time I forgot to flick off the safety) hammer
My. Brother has one in 12 gauge, he said it's been flawless, he's had it, oh, about 7 or 8 years now.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7903912 07/17/20 04:12 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
I just learned something, I knew Beretta owned Sako and tikka, but not Benelli.

Yep, and although I own and like the brands Beretta's customer service sucks big time. And I am not the only one that thinks this way. Buy the product and hope you don't have to deal with them. They couldn't care less once you own their product.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: HTXdude123] #7903919 07/17/20 04:25 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Berettas may suck, but my experience with Benelli's and Stoeger's customer service over the years has been excellent the few times Ive had to use them.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7903932 07/17/20 04:32 PM
D
dk2429 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
It's because Remington quality control went down, and Remington is pretty much a piece of junk.
Not saying they wouldnt work, but they're not as nice, light, or reliable as a B.

There's a reason the B's are the most popular guns out there now. I've never seen once where someone sold a benelli to get a Remington either.

Good post! If you go to one of my threads a while back asking about the Versamax, you'll one or two people in the comments mention that they switched to VM from their SBE3's.

I personally wouldn't be doing that.... Cause I KNOW that Benelli is the best waterfowl shotgun you can get, along with Beretta. I'm going to get me a SBE someday, no doubt about it.

All that my comment was saying was, I find it ridiculous to say a different gun/brand that is not a B gun is a POS. When I was searching and asking for opinons on here, Facebook, other forums, etc, I didn't read ONE SINGLE BAD "REVIEW" on the Versamax AND the V3 from people that own them. The only people that said the Versamax and the V3 were a POS are the ones that has never owned one of even shot one! Some of those folks also owned A400's and SBE's, and although they did say they prefer taking their B guns, the Versamax is a solid waterfowler.

Everyone has "that friend who has ______".. But one of my friends that actually convinced me to get into waterfowl hunting (I've been a born and raised fisherman) has been shooting his Versa every season since he got it in 2013. When I asked him on getting a semi-auto, he told me get a Versa and don't think twice. That's when my Versa research began. Turns out, one of my long time fishing friends that also is in to duck hunting, bought his first Versa in 2016.. Black synthetic Sportsman model. Also has a Vinci which I like.. When I asked him on his opinion, he told me get a Versa UNLESS you can afford one of the high end Benelli's. He said he loves the Benelli, but got the Versamax to take and beat the hell out of on duck trips. And that he sure did.. That thing has seen it's better days to say the least...... lol. And again, I was told to get a Versamax, so I did

That's when I started coming to conclusion that the only people that bash on the newer Remington autoloaders are the ones that haven't even held one. The ones that do own them don't have anything bad to say about them.

So yeah, I got a Versamax because it's what I could afford right now, and to be different from all the B guys
grin Obviously it only takes time to see how mine is going to hold up, but from everything I gathered I'm not worried about it one bit.. If there's people been beating these things up since their introduction in 2012 and they are still running them, I have no worries

And by the way! To say "why would we open our eyes when we already have the best" is very true! The whole point of my comment at the end of the day was don't bash it until you try it smile

Last edited by dk2429; 07/17/20 04:35 PM.
Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: HTXdude123] #7904706 07/18/20 02:03 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Something to keep in mind is weight. Slogging through muck or walk-in hunts with a heavy shotgun sucks which is one of the reasons I prefer a light shotgun for waterfowl. Sitting in the blind or on a mud seat in water for a couple hours while holding is another. Having to pack in dekes and other gear is another reason.

When it comes down to it any shotgun will work if you know how it shoots. As a kid I busted many a duck with a cheap, Sears store single shot 410.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: HTXdude123] #7905050 07/18/20 10:53 PM
D
dk2429 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Benelli Super Vinci on sale at Cabelas for $850.

Problem is, every store in the country is sold out

Last edited by dk2429; 07/18/20 10:53 PM.
Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: dk2429] #7906660 07/20/20 03:31 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Benelli Super Vinci on sale at Cabelas for $850.

Problem is, every store in the country is sold out

Wow. That is one heck of a deal.

I sure as heck didnt get mine for that price but it was worth what I paid and I'd pay it again. It's by far one of the most reliable and easy to shoot shotguns I've owned.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: AZ_Hunter_2000] #7908220 07/21/20 07:34 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AZ_Hunter_2000
Do not overlook the Beretta A300. Should be able to find one for close to your $600 budget. My A300 has been used for quail/dove/duck/geese without any issues. I also have an A400 so it gets the nod more often now, however, I still use my A300 several times each fall.

Came in to say the same thing. The A300 Outlander is a great semi-auto for the price. It is pretty much my goto gun now for dove, turkey, and clay games. My Beretta O/U goes as my back up gun, and my 870 Wingmaster hardly even leaves the safe anymore.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: cyphertext] #7908290 07/21/20 08:47 PM
N.Tx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by cyphertext
Do not overlook the Beretta A300. Should be able to find one for close to your $600 budget. My A300 has been used for quail/dove/duck/geese without any issues. I also have an A400 so it gets the nod more often now, however, I still use my A300 several times each fall.

Came in to say the same thing. The A300 Outlander is a great semi-auto for the price. It is pretty much my goto gun now for dove, turkey, and clay games. My Beretta O/U goes as my back up gun, and my 870 Wingmaster hardly even leaves the safe anymore.

Yep. Go to Dunns and they're $599 right now. Definitely will be money well spent.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: N.Tx] #7908302 07/21/20 08:53 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by E.TX.JMart

Yep. Go to Dunns and they're $599 right now. Definitely will be money well spent.

He bought a Nova.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: rickym] #7908484 07/21/20 11:11 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted by rickym
Originally Posted by E.TX.JMart

He bought a Nova.

He did? Didn't see that in the thread.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: HTXdude123] #7908541 07/22/20 12:03 AM
H
HTXdude123 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Yes, I found a new Benelli Nova for $450. I bought it and am very happy with it. I went to the trap range over the weekend and put 100 shells through it. Performed amazingly. I have since stripped it, cleaned it, oiled it, and re-assembled it. I appreciate all the comments and advice and it definitely helped me reach a decision.

Keep it Safe, Keep it Clean, Aim High.
Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: HTXdude123] #7908770 07/22/20 04:15 AM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted by HTXdude123
Yes, I found a new Benelli Nova for $450. I bought it and am very happy with it. I went to the trap range over the weekend and put 100 shells through it. Performed amazingly. I have since stripped it, cleaned it, oiled it, and re-assembled it. I appreciate all the comments and advice and it definitely helped me reach a decision.

Congratulations. Glad you are happy with it!

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: HTXdude123] #7908798 07/22/20 10:41 AM
R
redhaze Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Congrats

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: HTXdude123] #7910694 07/23/20 07:02 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Congratulations! Going to the range right off the bat and learning how to use it is smart up

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: HTXdude123] #7910747 07/23/20 07:54 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Haven’t heard any mention of Ruger Red Labels, or Ruger customer service.

Re: New to hunting, best Shotgun??? [Re: HTXdude123] #7911595 07/24/20 03:44 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
SBE

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread