Biggest animal you ever missed #7901073 07/15/20 03:23 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Summer doldrums got me thinking....

I missed a Boone & Crockett pronghorn with my bow at 81 yards. I was on one hill and he was on another with the bottom 100 foot below us ( antelope don’t ALWAYS live in flat country ). At the shot I heard the arrow sizzle across the canyon...imagine it sounded like a missile on his end. He took two steps and the arrow stuck right where his shoulder had been a second before.

We looked at each other for another 30-45 seconds before he sauntered off. Wasn’t even mad about it

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7901231 07/15/20 12:35 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
A nice buck that I can only estimate to be a ten-point or better. I'll never again underestimate the need to check your zero after letting your rifle take a pretty good hit.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7901316 07/15/20 01:44 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
A very wide 10 point Whitetail. Had him at 135 yards, took an off hand shot and had no response from him. No impact on the dirt anywhere near him, we both just stood there for a few seconds. I slowly worked the bolt to try again and off he went. No blood, hair or anything where he was standing. Looking back to where I shot from, I could see the sapling that I shot, hit it a little bit off center and it deflected the bullet off to the right of him. Had him on trail camera several times after that, but he never came out in the daylight.

Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7901318 07/15/20 01:46 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
30 years ago when I was 16, we had a lease in San Saba between cherokee and pontotoc, I was down for the whole week of Thanksgiving by my self, parents left sunday and came back friday after T day. I was in one of my favorite blinds about wednesday and to be honest, I was rolling a joint, looked up and 3 does and the biggest non typical monster buck I have ever seen is standing 80 yards from my blind! I took a shot and watched him run off unhit. Caught a glimpse of him one other time and my dad got a good look at him one afternoon but he was 5-600 yards away and he had his 243. I can still see that deer in my mind.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7901319 07/15/20 01:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Low 80’s pasture maggot goat(Archery)... think I may of killed him last year with rifle. One I killed was 7- 8’ish+ years old, typical prime on Pronghorns is 3-4
350 bull twice(Archery)
Mid 80’s WT (archery)
Mid 70’s MD (archery)
154 8pt w/ML -Neighbor later killed him

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7901339 07/15/20 02:03 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Technically not a miss, but I'm pretty sure I pulled the shot and shot an Eland through his dewlap. He was 200 yards, quartering away, fixing to change zip codes. Excellent trackers found one, light, tiny blood drop - the money drop! $ crying We thoroughly looked for hours. Pretty sure he healed up just fine.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7901375 07/15/20 02:25 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Maybe not the biggest animal that I have missed, but my most memorable miss none the less. It was Early Nov bow season in OK, and I had not seen anything all morning, so I decided to go for a walk. Found some does feeding in the East Pasture near the treeline, so I decided to put on a stalk. Stalk up on deer with a bow?! I thought to myself, what kind of crazy makes you think you can get to within 40 yards of 4 does. Well, 15 to 20 minutes later, I'm only about 45 yards away, and they are oblivious to me. I could not believe it. My heard was pounding, and I had a huge case of Buck fever over a few does. I checked my range finder again, and got within 40 yards (I am very confident at 40), and nocked an arrow. Part of it was my heart pounding and the Adrenalin rush, and part of it was dumb luck, but my arrow nicked the barbed wire fence that I had forgotten was between us and the arrow flew a good 3 feet over her back. Three of the does bolted, but the one I had shot at just stood there looking at me. Since she had already busted me, I casually took 10 steps closer, nocked an arrow, and let it fly. I have no idea what happened at this shot, but the 2nd arrow sailed just over her back as well. Now, she bolted...but stopped just on my side of the fence about 80 yards from me. So I nocked another arrow, and started walking towards her. She let me get to about 50 yards before she was done playing with me and took off for the next county. I never did find the two arrows that I had lost.

Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7901406 07/15/20 02:50 PM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
160+” whitetail at 300 yards.

Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7901429 07/15/20 03:14 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Two come to mind on WT. One was northeast of Jayton back in the late 90's on our lease.The first year we were seeing a young 6x6 that had a fork on his G3...so 13 pts. He was young and very narrow but long tines. He lived in a break that dropped off into a larger drainage to the east. There was a long point inbetween two breaks we could drive out on and we would see him almost every time jump and run from that one break. The next year I hunted that area hard the first 3 weeks of the season and had not seen him. Just after Thanksgiving I was walking back to my truck after still hunting thru a mesquite thicket that afternoon. Did not see to much till I got almost back to a tank dam on the top end of the break. I had my head down walking in the lower light looking for rattlesnakes and planning the next days hunt when I looked up to see a huge buck looking at me. He was in scattered mesquites standing broadside at about 150 yards. I was in the wide open with nothing to use as a rest and in waste high grass. So all I could do was shoot offhanded and I rushed the shot. As soon as I shot, I new I had missed him. Looked till dark and never found any blood. I knew it was the narrow 6x6 from the year before due to tine length and narrow spread. He had blown up in size. I hunted him hard the next year till Thanksgiving. I was hot that week of Thanksgiving and my good friend Jimmy was coming into camp to hunt Thanksgiving day only. So I told him where I had been hunting but not seeing much that week. I told him there was some good deer in that area just not moving for some reason. He got to the area at daylight and decided to go and rattle in the area I missed the buck the year before. Of all things, he had brought is 7mag but brought ammo for his 270...he only had one round in the bottom of his 7 mag. So he knew he had to make the shot count. The first spot he rattled he had 8 bucks come in from all directions. He was about to shoot a 24"-25" inside bigger 8pt when a very heavy and tall mutli-tined walked in front of the 8pt. So he shot the buck without seeing his spread. The buck whirled and ran off. He went to where he shot him at and walked the area. Could not find any blood nor any sign he had hit the buck. He looked for 2 hours and could not understand how he missed a broadside buck at 80 yards. He was walking a cow trail back to his truck and had gone about 150 yards when he walked up on a dead buck laying in the trail. No blood on the ground but he had some on his shoulder on the side laying up. It was the buck he had rattled in and shot. Main frame 5x6, one fork G3 and only 14" inside but grossed 164. Same buck I had missed the year before.
Second one was in Kansas in 2012. I drew an either species WT/MD permit for muzzleloader season. The area I was hunting had way more MD than WT so I set myself a goal of a a 180 or better MD. I put a 180+ size on any WT to shoot so I would stick to MD. I hunted 5 days hard and found a few decent MD and started to check out some other crop land that was owned by the farmers. I spent one whole day looking at all the farms but one. I wen the 7 the day to check it out...2 quarter sections..one in wheat stubble and one drought stress out corn. That wheat stubble had a quarter of corn joining it and both those had about 5 or 6 sections of pasture land joining them on 1 or 2 sides with several windmills or solar wells I could see. I found tons of sign in the quarter of drought corn. I found some WT and quite a few MD. I was going to have to leave the next morning early to drive 12 hours home. I hunted that evening and found several mule deer bucks one older one that had a huge side and then a damaged side on the other. So I made plans to hunt 2 hours the next morning. I got to the quarter before daylight and was sitting glassing..found a 9pt WT in the wheat stubble feeding to the pasture land...found 2 MD bucks I had seen the evening before...then found another MD buck. I moved up the corn to the top of the little rise and then walked into the corn. Lot of trails and tracks. I started seeing MD and WT bucks right away and even a few does. I jumped a narrow 9 WT and then walked by 5 MD bucks bedded in the rows of corn. Jumped a WT doe when I was walking the top of terrace in very short corn. I was watching her and then decided I needed to move on with limited time to hunt. I put my head down and was looking at all the deer tracks when I heard the corn busting in front of me at 60 yards. Up and running away was what I thought was a really wide 5x5 WT. He run down about 100 yards more and turned and looked back at me then off to my left...the WT doe was standing there watching me and we were all looking at each other...all about 150 yards from each other. Light wind had to corn leaves moving and making noise..so not sure the buck new what I was exactly. I thought immediately as he was running away that is a mid 170's 5x5 WT....when he turned to look back at me I saw he was a 6x6 then found 3 kickers off the bases and one browtine. He was very mature and very wide...at least 21 if not 22" inside. He had average to better mass and really good tine length. I started to see he was larger than 180 for sure and maybe large with the kickers. I stood there glassing him with my ML on the sticks..then thought.."dummy that is a huge WT..shoot it". I ranged him and got 60 yards twice, then 139 once then 160 once and then 139 again. I felt I was hitting corn leaves so I moved my sticks and settup to the side to line up in the row better. I ranged him again and got 140...he looked farther away than that...after I moved it made the quartering shot angle much greater. I decided to put the 150 yard crosshair behind his left shoulder and squeezed off a shot. After the smoke cleared I could see him limping off about 40 yards and stop and look back at me. I was scrambling to reload and trying to watch him. He was looking at the doe and she finally started to trot off. He turned and ran north about 200 yards and stopped. I had reloaded and got my binos on him to look at him and range him. I had 280 yards now...he was walking slowly to the north and stopped at 400 yards. I could see one small crease with blood in the leg muscle below the body but nothing was broken. I dropped off in the low area of the terrace and ran towards him about 250 yards. The doe had moved north out of the corn into a neighbors place just planted in wheat. He was now walking to her and broadside. I got good look at him now and could see just how big he was...5" brows, 9-10" Gs, 11 G3's, 5" and 7" G4s and 5" and 3" G5s..with 7-8" of NT pts. Long beams and wide, very mature buck so he was probably closer to 190 than 180 gross score wise. I watched him and the doe leave that wheat field and walk into a freshy baled haygrazer field then over the horizon to the west. There was 5 pretty good MD bucks walking over that same ridge that I guess left the corn when I shot. The thing I remember about that buck is how dark his antler color was for western Kansas, must WT I had seen had white antlers. I turned and walked to my truck and drove 12.5 hours home...dejected but still happy about my first Kansas trip.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7901433 07/15/20 03:18 PM
B
Brady Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Took a last minute trip to Wyoming and wasn't confident with the gun I was taking. Rifle wasn't grouping good at all at 100yds and I wasn't confident in a potential long range shot. Then of course a long range shot situation came up and this guy was at a little over 300yds. I had missed before I already took the shot.

Next day i borrowed another hunters rifle and went back to the same spot and he was there again.

Missed one day, but not the next day.

[Linked Image]

Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7901434 07/15/20 03:18 PM
P
papa45 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
Not the biggest, but the most memorable. I was bowhunting for deer and walked into an area I hadn't hunted before. I sat down on the ground, against a tree. After sitting quietly for some time, I turned my head slightly and saw a bobcat sitting on the ground, less than 10 yards away, staring at me. I slowly raised my bow and began to draw, thinking he would run immediately. I don't think I even used the sight; I just pointed and let the arrow fly. It narrowly missed the bobcat and stuck deep in a tree right behind him.

Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7901459 07/15/20 03:43 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
My most heart breaking miss was a big pig with my 7mm/300 WM at 1580 yards. I had lasered an item at 1597 yards, and I thought the pig was even with it, but he was in front of it. My bullet went directly over his back. I watched him and the group run off. I'll get him next time.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7901465 07/15/20 03:50 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
A 164" WT on the Brazos back in 1997, another hunter got him a week later. In 2015 I had a 390-400" Bull Elk in my scope waiting for him to turn, which he did in the wrong direction and went over the hill, I never fired a shot though. I did end up getting a 352" Bull on that trip.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: Stompy] #7901494 07/15/20 04:10 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Stompy
A 164" WT on the Brazos back in 1997, another hunter got him a week later. In 2015 I had a 390-400" Bull Elk in my scope waiting for him to turn, which he did in the wrong direction and went over the hill, I never fired a shot though. I did end up getting a 352" Bull on that trip.

My kind of elk trip!!!!

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7901901 07/15/20 08:46 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Not the biggest, but my most memorable miss was a decent sized WT buck at about 20 feet...with a shotgun. I was quail hunting and we were working a pretty big stand of sunflowers. The dogs were off to the side a little ways when this really nice buck stands up right in front of me. Well, it was deer season and at that distance I figured a ounce and a quarter load of 7.5 right in the face wouldn't have any trouble killing him. I snapped my shotgun up and BOOM! I must have been a little high and the load went between his antlers. His eyes got as big as baseballs and before I could pump another shell in he was gone.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7902021 07/15/20 10:08 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Q
Western Hartebeest, Cameroon 2004. Don't know how but I missed him clean.

The miss that bothered me the most was a black wolf in BC on a bear hunt. I knew the minute I squeezed the trigger I shot high because I felt the skinnt tree limb I had to use as a rest shift downward but I couldn't stop the trigger pull. He didn't stick around for another shot.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7902104 07/15/20 10:57 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Only once have I missed. back in late 80's in Jack county. Decided to try a different tree that had a view of a new clearing made for a pipeline past a small creek. Did not see anything for a while so I decided to call it a morning.
After I got down I decided to walk towards the pipeline clearing and low and behold there was a big bodied buck walking down the embankment on the other side coming my way. I creeped back about 20 yards and laid flat on the ground in sniper position waiting.
Then there he was, all I could see was from his upper neck right below his chin because of the tall grass, he had a big rack with lots of points not to wide but a dandy. I decided to shoot below what I could see to make sure I was getting a good portion of his neck.
Squeezed the trigger on the 7mm mag and he was gone. I knew I had hit him and he would be laying at the bottom of the creek, so I get up go to the edge and there he is standing on the other side of the creek staring at me, I am thinking he is dead and just does not know it yet, he turns and runs off bang

After walking the whole edge of the creek bank where he was when I shot I figured out what I had done wrong. I thought he had come straight up the bank, in fact he did not, he came up at a hell of a slant and my shot went under his chin.
Moral of the story, shoot what you can see!

texas flag

Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7902179 07/15/20 11:57 PM
M
Michael W. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Hunting on a South Texas ranch, sitting on top of a jeep. When a Nilgai was spotted running away at about 300 yds. Saw dust fly up ahead of him. About 30 mins. later we saw another at about 175 running left to right. Didn't miss that one.

A clear conscience is often the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7902318 07/16/20 02:43 AM
R
Ratherbefishing Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Great thread! Keep the stories coming...

Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7902497 07/16/20 12:02 PM
R
redhaze Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
In 1982 I won an elk hunt from Duck's Unlimited in New Mexico. The first rifle hunt of the season - called a Bull Elk Hunt. The hunt occurred about 20 miles west of Raton, NM. I don't remember the name of the ranch, but the ranch manager was Garry Wolfe. I was sorta the "toy" of the hunt for the guides, being from New Mexico. The guides had been scouting and had a 7 x 7 picked for the Du guy. I had spent $5.00 for the ticket and was really excited. The first morning while still dark, we saddled up and headed out and after a short 4 or 5 mile ride, we came the the section of the ranch that had this magnificent animal. We stalked and found the spot the guide had selected for my shot. After being there for about 30-40 minutes the elk was spotted. He was in the process of herding his cows back up the mountainside for the day, bugling and thrashing around. I finally saw him through our shooting lane of about 20 yds. wide and 150 yds. long. I had bad buck (elk) fever, shaking and sweating bad. My glasses were constantly fogging over, needless to say I did not get a clear shot that morning, great bummer for the guides since they sorta adopted me being the only native New Mexican on that particular hunt. I got a 6 x 6 a couple of days later and he now hangs in the Elks Lodge in Tucumcari, NM. The last notable thing was we were out scouting one morning, drinking things and bullchitting. We stopped to do a 10-100 and popped off a couple of boxes of hand gun rounds, and other stuff. Not a rifle in the truck. We returned to the lodge about 3 hours later and Mr. Wolfe was waiting to check out how things were going. After visiting with us for a few minutes, he asked if we were on the northside of the ranch which we were and he said that we had been in Colorado for a little while instead of NM and we were being watched by a Colorado Game Warden - in the middle of Bumf***, NM.....scary when you realize how close you come to unintentionally do something wrong......

Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7902646 07/16/20 02:12 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I've posted before about my "click heard round the world" on the largest deer I had ever seen in Texas - technically, not a miss, but a mishap - bolt didn't seat firmly while I was trying to be stealthy.

The "miss", again, completely on me, was a few years ago with a nice 12 pt at about 125 yards. Was shocked that he did not drop and no blood trail. I took the rifle back to the house and sat up a target and found that I was barely on paper. Stupid of me, but I had loaned the rifle to a relative a few weeks earlier who wanted to get some target practice - he only had it for a weekend - and failed to zero when it was returned. Confirmed later that he felt the scope was "way off" so he adjusted. I know better, but hey, lesson learned.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7902692 07/16/20 02:38 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I was driving a Jeep down a sendero in south Texas, and we went over a rise. I saw a deer, so I stopped to glass him. Biggest set of antlers I ever saw. Stunning. I had customer hunters in the Jeep, two riding in back in elevated seats and one riding shotgun. I told them this was a lifetime buck, so one of you shoot him. Nobody did. I asked why nobody had shot, and they said “it’s too far”. Might have been 300 yards or a bit more. Well, it wasn’t too far for me, so I rested the rifle on the steering wheel and squeezed as he stepped past a Mesquite. My bullet hit a limb and I saw it hang down. The monster buck walked into the brush. I can close my eyes and still see the scene.

As an employee of the host company, I risked being fired for shooting a record class buck. I told the customers, who I knew well, that one of them had to claim they killed it. The buck was special enough that I risked my job by trying the shot. Probably best that I missed. Yes, it was that big a rack.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: 603Country] #7902707 07/16/20 02:47 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by 603Country
I was driving a Jeep down a sendero in south Texas, and we went over a rise. I saw a deer, so I stopped to glass him. Biggest set of antlers I ever saw. Stunning. I had customer hunters in the Jeep, two riding in back in elevated seats and one riding shotgun. I told them this was a lifetime buck, so one of you shoot him. Nobody did. I asked why nobody had shot, and they said “it’s too far”. Might have been 300 yards or a bit more. Well, it wasn’t too far for me, so I rested the rifle on the steering wheel and squeezed as he stepped past a Mesquite. My bullet hit a limb and I saw it hang down. The monster buck walked into the brush. I can close my eyes and still see the scene.

As an employee of the host company, I risked being fired for shooting a record class buck. I told the customers, who I knew well, that one of them had to claim they killed it. The buck was special enough that I risked my job by trying the shot. Probably best that I missed. Yes, it was that big a rack.

Customer hunting. Man, that brings back some memories. WAY more complicated than Customer Golf.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7902811 07/16/20 04:03 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
About 10-12 years ago I had taken my daughter to the ranch with me she was 8-9 at the time. I had spent that previous week trying to ween myself off of coffee so had been without. Well we got up that morning to head to the blind I smelled a fresh pot of coffee brewing so figured I'm at the ranch so go for it. We make the drive to the blind and get settled in when that familiar rumble in my gut started. I whisper sweetie dad has to go back to the truck so sit tight. I make the 200 yard scramble to my truck and get that handled up on. I start heading back and as I get closer to the blind I hear my daughter with a loud whisper saying dad hurry up. Keep in mind it is still dark and about 20 minutes until day light. I get in the blind and she says dad I think there is a huge buck at your feeder. I pick up the binos and can barely see his shadow down in the draw but he does look big bodied. I say it will be getting light quick so we will see. Well as it gets light I do see the biggest 8 pt I have ever seen to date. He had it all, mass length and spread and would guess him at 150 or better. Massive 8 and as I get my rifle out the window about to settle the crosshairs and the dang feeder goes off. It was like an IED went off and he bolted up the ridge opposite the draw. My stand on the north ridge facing south. I am shaking like a leaf (another effect of the coffee I reckon) as he stops at the top of the ridge turns broadside and is staring at the feeder. Here is my chance with my daughter saying get him dad I can not settle my scope on him I am shaking so bad. It seemed like I had forever to get my crosshairs on him and couldn't do it for the life of me as I watched him walk out of my life never to be seen again. I hunted every chance I got that year and never saw him. Later that season the ranch hand pulled in camp and asked if I could help him a minute. As we talked he asked how my year was going and I told him about that buck. He asked which part of the ranch my stand was at and I told him. He says yeah I have seen that buck almost hit him on the county road south of you. He said having grown up around there it was the biggest 8 he had ever seen also. Not really a miss but same result.

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Biggest animal you ever missed [Re: txtrophy85] #7902987 07/16/20 06:57 PM
H
HTDUCK Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
H
Happened this past November.
My lease in Missouri.
Rifle season is all of 12 days and we only get to hunt 8 of them.
We have a 4 point on one side antler restriction in this county.
Hunted from Saturday opener until the following Saturday without ever seeing a legal deer.

About 10 AM on the second Saturday I'm in a stand on an uncut soybean field.
Beans are 4-5 feet high most of this field.
I look to my right and see a big bodied buck trotting away from me along the edge of the field.
He's about 200 yards away.
He turns left at the edge of the soybeans and walks over to a scrape on the edge on the south side of the field.
I'm watching him with 10 power binos but still cant put a brow tine on either side of him.
The scrape was 310 yards from the stand.

He piddles around still broadside at the scrape for a minute with his head down then turns, nose to the ground and starts towards me with his head down below the top of the beans.
At 275 yards he stopped and picked his head up.
He's an 8 point and about 150 inches.

Grab my rifle and stick it out the stand window, get behind it and can't see anything but black through the scope.
My son had hunted with this rifle the day before and had adjusted the parallax on the scope.

Grab the focus knob and get the scope focused, find deer and he's trotting back toward me.
Turns hard left and heads toward back edge of field.
At 200 yards he stops on the edge of field/woods and looks at the stand.
Crosshairs on his shoulder I squeeze one off and he just stands there.
Slowly leaves field and walks back into woods.

I bolt another round into chamber and sit there for 5 minutes hoping he'll do something stupid.
Nope.
Dejected I stick rifle back in corner of stand.

15 minutes go by, and I see movement out of my peripheral vision to my right.
Look out the window and their is a deer trotting out into the beans.
Grab the binos and look, it's a doe.
Then I see movement in the edge of the binos, refocus my attention and damnit there he is again pushing this doe.
Drop binos, grab rifle and the doe is already clearing the field headed back into the woods with him on her heels.
I get on him and he stops on the edge of the field again in the same spot.
Crosshairs on his shoulder and BOOM again.

He just stood there trying to figure out what was going on, slowly walks back into woods again.

The back edge of that field has a Bois d'arc treeline that runs north to south along the edge of the field with a lot of limbs that stick out and hang down over edge of field.
Walked down the edge of field to trail he exited field on and look for signs of a hit.
Nothing.
Look back toward stand and between me and that window were 20-30 limbs.

All those limbs are gonna be gone as soon as they get the corn out of that field in September.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide