Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
5 More Hogs & A Coyote #7896137 07/10/20 02:03 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
This property just keeps presenting with more and more hogs (and coyotes). Pig_Popper, as always, is a great partner...

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 07/10/20 02:03 AM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: 5 More Hogs & A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7896262 07/10/20 11:20 AM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Good work, gentlemen. Keep tearing 'em up!!

Re: 5 More Hogs & A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7896291 07/10/20 12:11 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
up

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: 5 More Hogs & A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7896605 07/10/20 05:57 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Bang! Thump!
Bang! Thump!

Good shootin' on those moving targets.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: 5 More Hogs & A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7896946 07/11/20 12:16 AM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
So I've been watching CS for a while, generally know your kill count, etc. and it is quite obvious the pig "problem" will never go away. "If" you hunted these properties were hunted very regularly, they'd move off fairly quickly. You'd get a dozen or so, but leave 3 dozen left to multiply and drop a half dozen or more at a time. I didnt count but there are plenty of hogs in this vid and one could never get to that 70% reduction number.

Re: 5 More Hogs & A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7897006 07/11/20 01:30 AM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
DNS,

Could you list out your safety protocols for hunting with other shooters at night?

I never hunted at night with anyone else on our place, but could see where it might happen.

Thanks for the videos!!

JR

Re: 5 More Hogs & A Coyote [Re: Douglas Tipton] #7897045 07/11/20 02:12 AM
P
Pig_Popper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Douglas Tipton
So I've been watching CS for a while, generally know your kill count, etc. and it is quite obvious the pig "problem" will never go away. "If" you hunted these properties were hunted very regularly, they'd move off fairly quickly. You'd get a dozen or so, but leave 3 dozen left to multiply and drop a half dozen or more at a time. I didnt count but there are plenty of hogs in this vid and one could never get to that 70% reduction number.

We do what we can as we can how we can -

Not sure what your true point is ?

Between CS and the hundreds of other hunters out there who are doing the same it accounts for something

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: 5 More Hogs & A Coyote [Re: Douglas Tipton] #7897181 07/11/20 08:43 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Douglas Tipton
So I've been watching CS for a while, generally know your kill count, etc. and it is quite obvious the pig "problem" will never go away. "If" you hunted these properties were hunted very regularly, they'd move off fairly quickly. You'd get a dozen or so, but leave 3 dozen left to multiply and drop a half dozen or more at a time. I didn't count but there are plenty of hogs in this vid and one could never get to that 70% reduction number.

I have never claimed to be trying to do that. However, if you go back and watch the Bosque vids for each summer, you can see a solid decrease in the numbers of hogs present over the course of the summer hunting. Hunting can be productive, but there are limitations far exceed the simple claim that hunting won't do it. Hunting won't, not because hunting can't, but because there are far too many 'sanctuary properties' that are either not hunted, not hunted with any regularity, or not hunted effectively.

Take this property in the video. It does not have hogs. It is almost entirely open pasture. No hogs live there. So where do the hogs come from? They are living on the heavily treed neighbor properties, two of which apparently are not hunted with any sort of regularity or effectiveness. On one property, the grandkids go out spotlighting with their romantic interests once in a while (I have met them) and in one case, the landowner occasionally gut shoots a hog if it is near his house and he wants it to run off into the woods and die (had a long chat with him). A third property has an absentee landowner, I am told and nobody hunts it that anyone is aware of. So technically, while I am hunting on the property where I have permission, I am actually hunting hogs that live elsewhere.

However, my goal isn't to change the pig population. My goal is to reduce the damage potential of hogs on the properties I hunt by killing as many hogs as I can and dissuading the others. On many properties, I do what I consider to be maintenance hunting. Upon getting most properties with hog problems, I can kill or run off the hogs in fairly short order and quickly get the landowner some relief. Then, it is just a matter of tagging newly invasive sounders or lone boars when they come in, which is on an irregular basis. So out of the 15 or so properties that I have, I may only see hogs on 1 or 2 of a given night. Tonight, I checked 8 properties including the one above. I found hogs on just two of them.

I can't be everywhere all the time. I can't cover all aspects of each landowner's property each night I hunt. So I depend, in part, on landowners to point out to me when they start to notice problems. The sooner I can get to killing their hogs, the sooner their problems go away, for a while.

This property above? We have killed 73 hogs since May 4. But like I said, this aren't even hogs from this property. They all come from next door as this property lacks bedding habitat. It is nothing but a food and water location. Tonight from the property above, I encountered a piglet sounder. We have reduced sounders in Bosque to piglet sounders before as well. You kill off all the adults and all you have left are the little ones. The largest hog I took from the sounder was 25 lbs and it was one of the largest hogs in the sounder. Smaller hogs do less damage than larger hogs.

I keep getting more properties because the landowners notice a difference in what is happening with their land.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: 5 More Hogs & A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7897775 07/11/20 11:55 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
cheers

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: 5 More Hogs & A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7902025 07/15/20 10:10 PM
T
twdjr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
up

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread